People who have pro-anorexia profiles

Options

Replies

• Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    So many times when I'm reading these message boards I think to myself, Good lord! If it's a topic that doesn't pertain to me or isnt going to help me why bother!!! I really think some people are so hungry that it's causing them to get pissed off at every little thing. Seriously if someone has an eating disorder ( I'm not encouraging it) and they are using MFP, how does that affect you and your weightlloss? It doesn't so why get all worked up about it? If you don't agree with promoting an eating disorder don't read the message board. I'm not going to read the boards that are asking how to reduce your breasts because I have just the opposite problem lol

Hello.... Funny post :)
    I do think that if people have had ED in the past, maybe the topics on here that are pro ED may trigger them so it can be harmful to some. I think that's what the main issue was.

And for the half-dozenth time: POSTS and TOPICS are easy to report--every one has a "Report Post" button, and the OP says the topics and posts had been reported and locked by MFP. This thread is about reporting PROFILES, and, since they are not considered public space they don't have a "Report" button. She clearly knew how to report the POSTS. She wanted to report the PERSON. More people jumped on to let us all know how "disgusting" the pro-ana/mia people are, so they should be banned.

Exactly. I can't believe this thread's still going. :laugh:

If the OP didn't like the post why did she even bother "checking out" the poster's profile? Looking for ammo? Something to make her feel superior to that member?

Protecting others? Sorry, not buying it.
    If you don't like what someone else is eating, saying, whatever...turn the channel.
    I don't need MFP to protect me from other's profiles.
  • transfixedtoast
    transfixedtoast Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Well yes, if they happy to live on a glass of water & a leaf of lettuce, because they're so desperate to stay skeleton-skinny, oh well, so be it. Sadly, nothing that we will say will change their minds. The issue is to serious - they need a help of a pro & only if they decide to have it :(

However - if they're PROMOTING anorectic behaviour, it (thread or profile) probably should be reported & inspected by the mods. Guys - this is how girls get the idea of 'finger in the throat' 'solution'! Reporting active pro-ana profiles/behaviours is not about judging - it is about not helping them to spread the message.

If you reckon it is 'not your being business' unless it is your sister/close friend - you are passively letting the pro-ana message to spread. If you ok with it - fine. Just don't get mad because someone else actually cares.

100% agree
    Promoting it, sharing tips, saying that other people should do it is the real problem and anything else is someones own personal problem that has absolutely nothing to do with anyone but the individual, their family and friends. It's their own personal battle and banning people with eating disorders from my fittness pal isn't going to do anything to help them in their struggle.
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Just wondering, I came across someone whose goal weight still categorized her as obese. Do you worry about reporting these people too? That, to me, is just as unhealthy as pro ED people.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'll say it again: If people are too stupid to realize that advice coming from someone who thinks starvation, purging, or any other eating-disordered method of losing weight is liable to land them in some serious health trouble, it's not something we should concern ourselves with. Let's all just fend for ourselves, shall we?

Hella judgmental vibe in here. Getting smelly. /out
  • LittleMissDoll
    Options
    Just wondering, I came across someone whose goal weight still categorized her as obese. Do you worry about reporting these people too? That, to me, is just as unhealthy as pro ED people.

When I see pages like that I just assume thats their short term goal. Sometimes if your goal is to lose over 100 pounds it can be intimidating. so to make your goals smaller it is easier and more motivating to accomplish them. Once they reach that goal weight I am sure they will set another, and so on.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    And for the half-dozenth time: POSTS and TOPICS are easy to report--every one has a "Report Post" button, and the OP says the topics and posts had been reported and locked by MFP. This thread is about reporting PROFILES, and, since they are not considered public space they don't have a "Report" button. She clearly knew how to report the POSTS. She wanted to report the PERSON. More people jumped on to let us all know how "disgusting" the pro-ana/mia people are, so they should be banned.

You realize that the site owner has come on and confirmed the OP's question and advised what to do?

Is someone is on here and is trying to recover from an ED then yes they should 100% be on here getting encouragement. I have a friend who is close to 600lbs and he is struggling to beat it. He backslides a lot. He has an ED just as much as someone with anorexia or bullemia. But he wants to change. As do those who are too thin and are struggling to change.

But if someone is on here with a name like 'Thinspiration', wants to get to 0% body fat and be able to count her ribs then no I don't think they should be here. They don't want to be healthy and could trigger others who are trying to be healthy. Same as if there was a poster who wants to gain weight by eating junk and weigh 600lbs is their goal. That isn't healthy either.

Oh and as someone whose 'goal weight' on the ticker still has me at obese, my goal is my first big goal. I will then update my ticker to show my ultimate goal weight.
  • FitSid
    FitSid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    there is a difference between working toward recovery and promoting it!

THANK YOU.
  • eatmeingo
    Options
    I have an ED. I talk about it on my profile some times, but I never ever ever promote it. Why would I want someone else to live like this...? Being pro ED is dumb, but I tend to be by default because of my disorder. But I'm not pro ana or mia or ED for anyone else. All I want is help on here. That's all.
  • wantu2wantme
    Options
    LOL everyone is different and everybody has different goals. Leave it at that. I can't stand people that stick their noses where they don't belong. UGH.
  • KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to report someone for that? That is none of your business! Just don't go to her page if you don't agree with it. She is an adult and can make her own choices. She is probably struggling and doesn't need someone like you tearing her down. Anorexia is a mental illness, you need to be respectful of that and do not judge her or anyone with an eating disorder!
  • wantu2wantme
    Options
    Why do you want to report someone for that? That is none of your business! Just don't go to her page if you don't agree with it. She is an adult and can make her own choices. She is probably struggling and doesn't need someone like you tearing her down. Anorexic is a mental illness, you need to be respectful of that and do not judge her or anyone with an eating disorder!
    EXACTLY
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I have given links to the moderators before.. but there isn't anything they can do. They can delete pro-ana topics.. but thats about it.

Thanks so much.

Why get them kicked off this site?

Why not send them a message of love, compassion and understanding that they have an issue. Offer some links for help and support so they will change their mindset and want to overcome their sickness?

It baffles me where humanism has gone.
  • logicandlove
    logicandlove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Speaking as someone who has been on the other side of this, I understand why people would want to ban these accounts.

If more people had told me, during the worst of my purging, that what I was doing was wrong and dangerous and self-destructive, maybe it would have gotten through to me. Maybe someone would have told me this during a moment of clarity (which I would have considered a moment of weakness, but that's a whole other issue) I would have listened.

Instead, the internet was full of people who supported my "lifestyle" and encouraged me. I'm just saying, letting them think that what they're doing is OK is not going to help.
  • insatiable_need
    insatiable_need Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    When I see that, I just pray for them, try to post encouraging things when I see them around the forum, and hope that by being on MFP surrounded by people who are trying to be healthy, maybe they'll be influenced in the right way. But it's got to be hard to balance the truth against the lie your own mind is telling you, especially when there are others willing to feed it. Honestly, for anyone who is less than confident, this whole forum is hard to safely find your way around in. You have to learn quickly how to filter out the unhealthy advice and the spam.

These are the kind of statements & things that are actually really helpful to those suffering from an ED (or at least it is really encouraging to me).

When I joined MFP, I was in the full throws of my ED and looking to use MFP as a way to become even more obsessive and drop my BMI down dangerously low. However, thanks to being here, I've learned new ways of eating and I am getting better at accepting my body and trying to nourish it. Rather than using starvation as a way to cope with my emotions.

Shutting down the account won't make her better. In fact, it could potentially make her worse. Because then she may feel like she is being "persecuted" and that only fuels the desire to starve even more. I know when my family judges me because I do not eat enough, it only makes me sicker.

Through positive posts, encouragement from others, support of family members and friends; these girls are more likely to get better. All we can do is try to help them. If they don't want help, then there's nothing more we can do. Someone with an ED has to choose to get better which s one of the toughest decisions someone who is trapped by food and fear can make.
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Eating disorders are a serious mental problem and unless you are a licensed therapist maybe you should stay off her profile and let the people who know what they're talking about help her.
  • marbly
    marbly Posts: 103
    Options
    I agree with the posters above. (Those who mentioned about helping rather than reporting.)

TBH, people who ARE pro-ana/mia are those who do not shout out their tendencies to the world. They do it in secret until their extreme weight loss or odd behaviour is noticeable by everyone. You can't say that you want to be anorexic - most do not have the willpower to starve themselves or to go to extreme lengths to not eat or to get rid of the food they have consumed (heard of "cutting" in the pro-ana/mia world rather than in the weight lifting world? VERY different meanings...)

So, sure, you can report posts or posters and ban them from the site but they'll simply go somewhere else that do NOT promote healthy lifestyles.

What is great about this site is the threads like those who post their successes by eating more and those who post bef and aft pictures of themselves after weight loss and especially after exercising and toning their bodies. People see, people start believing and people will not do it the wrong way.
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's okay to worry about people but we can't be the savior of all. Don't read their profiles.
    Wow! May be you should stay off her and her friends profile.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I've heard that the anorexics do support each other. They want the communication with likeminded people. I don't think it will make much difference if it is reported. The site doesn't say "You cannot join if you are underweight."
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I think that pro-ana and mia people should be banned from the site. They're only here to manipulate the tools given so they can keep track of how little they're eating, how much they need to purge later and so on. Anorexia and Bulimia are serious mental illnesses and should not be taken lightly. Many girls have literally starved themselves to death. I heard of one bulimic girl (1000 ways to die) who binged so much, her stomach lining ripped and she died. So please, nobody suggest we just ignore them when we can do something to help them.

HOW is banning them from the site helping them? Have you never had an ED? it is a dark dark place full of self hatred. Banning them from a Healthy website would shove most even farther over the edge.

Banning anorexic people is unreasonable.

Banning pro-ana people may be sensible, however. They glorify the eating disorder and consider it a valid, positive lifestyle choice.
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Guuuuuys, a lot of you are seeming to be missing the difference between anorexic and pro-anorexic. Pro-ana people consider anorexia to be a positive, superior lifestyle choice. They do not accept that it's a problem.