Do you ever lie to your food log ??

Options

Replies

• Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Nope. I've been tempted but decided it'd be pointless because I'd just be lying to myself and my self knows the truth, the whole truth and nothing BUTT the truth.

One or two days I went so high over my calorie allowance - mostly when I first started this - that I just quit counting halfway through the day and I figured no point to keep going as it'd just be like hitting myself over the head when I was still learning. I just started over the next day with a new commitment to stick to my plan. Since then, I record everything and have been pleasantly surprised to learn that I didn't do as bad as I thought at times when I saw the final numbers.

"To thine own self, be true." Shakespeare
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not, never, what for??
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    i only lie on my log if i'm at a pot luck... and don't know exactly what to log. 3 diff types of brownies, had a small one of each...

find random "brownie" add 1.5 servings.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    not intentionally. This is a log for me to help my PROGRESS. My lying on this will not help my waisteline. I don't have a public log so I have no reason to be secretive. That being said... have I forgotten a food/drink? Who knows Probably. Have i not logged a minor intake? Yes (packet of ketchup for 10 cal. or something)... Remembering even if we measure (and who of us really does that), our portions are not exact science... What is to say that that was exactly 150 cal for that particular item rather than a SLIGHTLY larger 160 calories.... Again, I try to log EVERYTHING... but the key is weight reduction... lying to myself will not help with what really matters. I try to slightly OVER estimate on some things to make sure I am within my budget.
  • hannp
    hannp Posts: 34
    Options
    I dont excatly lie, but i made a fat free milkshake before, so I went through the list seeing which one has the least amount of calories and picked that one. Have done the same with brown rice hah
  • gracie2586
    gracie2586 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The only time i really lie in my food log is when i just cannot find nutrition facts for what i ate like tonight i logged every calorie before dinner than got talked into a buffet with my friends and even though i made health decisions there is no possible way i could back track and log every bite i took and yes i feel super guilty about it and yes it frustrates me when i cannot log what i ate cus i can't find the info grrrr:grumble:
  • WinWinGo
    WinWinGo Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I try not to. Sometimes my guesstimations turn out wrong though. I use the journal to figure how much I can eat that day, so lying to it would defeat the purpose. If I do lie, it's by adding today's calories to yesterday because my sleep schedule is weird and I don't always eat back all of my calories before midnight. However, I only do that for calories consumed before 1am.
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I try to log as accurately as possible. I still ate whatever I ate, whether I log it or not, and if something about my diet is or isn't working, I want to be able to look back and figure out why. There's really no reason to lie in the diary-- certainly won't help you get better results.
  • Reeny1_8
    Reeny1_8 Posts: 277
    Options
    If I lied on my food log it would be like giving myself permission to stay fat and unhealthy. By logging everything truthfully I can later go back and make sense of something I did t understand before like why was my sodium so high day x. The logs tell us what we are doing wrong if we only take the time to be truthful in our moments of weakness :)
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    That was great auntibabs!
  • aboadle
    aboadle Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    In the end it doesn't matter if you log everything or not. Your body is the ultimate log book! It just depends on what works for you. I personally find that if I don't log one lolly, then maybe the next day I'll have two and not log. Then 5. Then I'll log it when I eat a packet and think, hang on, I could have nipped this in the bud!!! Plus I want to be able to realistically predict weight loss, not become frustrated when I'm not losing how much MFP is telling me I should.

My two cents. :)
  • KSpiked
    KSpiked Posts: 12
    Options
    Yes, lately been having trouble eating anything at night when I have time to think about things ... Otherwise Im usually completely truthful on there.Otherwise whats the point.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    nope, I log everything, I want to hold myself accountable, even if I'm over by 800 calories, I mark it down
  • reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Why lie to yourself? I log everything. It's not frail humanity. It's denial and lack of accountability. What are you afraid of? Make peace with food. It's not the enemy.

totally agree with you, but i won't deny that i've lied once or twice. my logic behind it was i want it to say that i am below my damn calorie goal, because MFP puts me at a 500 kcal deficit, and if i only went 50 kcals over, then by god i am still at a 450 kcal deficit and want everyone to know that i pretty much did meet my calorie goal
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    no, I log everything the best i can. It only hurts me to fudge it, and no one else can see what I eat anyway.
  • dancin2011
    dancin2011 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Why lie? I guess I don't understand the point of lying in your own journal?
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Nope, I log everything! The few times I haven't is because I was having a weekend away with my family and there were two special birthday parties and I hadn't eaten anything particularly naughty in 3 months and I didn't want to be on my phone or the computer all day when I was super busy going to theme parks and to the beach and out to dinner with my family who I hadn't seen in over 12 months! However I admitted to all my MFP friends that's what I was doing and I told them the sorts of things I was eating! So once or twice in a 3 month period I may not log my food to ensure I can have a guilt free good time with friends and family! I also maintained my weight that week after 3 big days of eating and drinking!!! Woop whoop! But I don't lie about it or kid myself... I always log everything! :smile:
  • bsenka
    bsenka Posts: 33
    Options
    Up until recently, I haven't been very good at making sure I log everything. I just wasn't in the habit of using it regularly yet. But I've never deliberately lied in my journal. It makes no sense. The whole point of the journal it to have an accurate count so you can track your progress. The bad days are still good information to have when you cross reference them to your results.
  • madeinforks
    madeinforks Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The only person who will see your diary anyway will be you! And why lie to yourself? If you go over you go over and don't sweat it! Just get back on track the following day and go forward...Sometimes I just have a cheat day and then start over the next day..if you don't have some flexibiltiy in your eating just like life it can drag you down and discourage you..
  • milkandtea
    milkandtea Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Not unless you count over estimating as lying... I feel like it defeats the purpose if you aren't logging everything.

Not logging what you ate isn't going to get rid of the calories/carbs/whatever you consumed. If I go over or have a rough day, I log everything and then write a little entry under the notes section. Not being honest with myself is exactly the reason why I've never been able to lose weight until now. I keep my diary private because it's easier to be honest when I know that I'm the only one who can see it. :)