What brand of dog food does your dog eat?

Options

Replies

• galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    we use the purina lamb and rice (first ingredient is lamb). It seems to do them pretty good. We have a shih-tzu with some major skin problems. I have fed him every food under the sun, used every shampoo known to man, taken him to multiple vets, and he still smells like rotten death cheese. we cant even love on him because he smells so damn bad.
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My golden eats Wellness Core. When I rescued him he had a lot of skin problems so I decided to put him on a grain free diet. He has stopped itching and has a beautiful coat. It is expensive (about $55/bag) but he is a relatively small golden so a 28 lb bag lasts a little over a month. If only I could find something to help with his seasonal allergies.
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Purina One. Number one listed ingredient, BEEF. Have had dogs all my life. Have never strayed from Purina. Simple standard, make sure first listed ingredient is meat.
  • bcsrule
    bcsrule Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've been feeding a raw diet (BARF) since 1998. Do a search on rankings of best dry dog foods to help in your search.
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Blue Buffalo

We have a nice small pet store near our house. He is also the cheapest in the area for this kind of food. It's nice to know I'm being good to my dog and supporting a local business. Dogs are his passion so the owner is fantastic.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I feed my Staffie Chicken Soup for the Dog's Soul. I subscribe to Petsumer Report to read the reviews of the different dog foods before feeding anything new.
  • strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options
    I feed my 2 year old dog Taste of the Wild. He's a 200 lb English Mastiff. He has trouble on foods with fillers, and this food is filler free. It's great. I buy him either the lamb blend or the venison/buffalo blend. It's probably about $50.00/bag, and we go through 2 1/2 bags a month (my dog also eats 14 cups of food a day!). I feed my 8 yr old Chocolate Lab Diamond High Energy Senior blend. This is about $30.00/bag and it lasts us almost a month for him.
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    oops, we feed ours beneful. they both seem to love it so much, and our older cocker spaniel is getting particularly picky.
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Wellness Core mainly...rotate with the ocean formula. Supplement with salmon oil.
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Teagan, our 5-year-old cockapoo, gets a combination of Nutro dry and the FreshPet Select refrigerated food (we switch back and forth from the rolls to the bagged nuggets). He like the FreshPet so much that web tried just giving him that, but he seems to prefer a little bit of crunch to his meals, so we went back to mixing.
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Nutro Natural Choice. And we recently started mixing 25% of Wellness in with there food for a change. Both dry food!
  • jenrod1118
    jenrod1118 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    nutro. They do really well with it!
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Blue Buffalo!
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I am a dog and cat food snob as well.... fed my animals crap for many years until I learned better. Not only are they healthier but they shed less, less feces in my yards, their coats shine and my cats stopped throwing up hairballs.

I have them on a reasonably priced food that Tractor Supply carries called 4Health. Both the dogs and cats are on it. Best bang for your buck I have done tons of research....

There are NO healthy foods that can be purchased at Walmart or your vet's office. All Purina, Iams, Science diet, Rachel Ray. Pedigree, Alpo, Kibble Bits, Old Roy is nothing but total CRAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also recommend Diamond & Taste of the Wild, ProPlan...or if you want to REALLY get them healthy, RAW.
  • iFeelBrandNew
    iFeelBrandNew Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    sounds like the majority of what i was going to say was already covered.
    i have 7 working dogs, that i feed raw. chicken, nupro, yogurt, egg, multivitamin and sometimes super fuel... after a long workout. when i fed raw, i used taste of the wild. in my opinion its the absolute best kibble on the market.
    if you're considering switching dog food, i wish you would try raw. its so much better for the animal, and the lack of dog poo in the yard is phenomenal. even with 7.
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Beneful healthy radiance.

My pups (one purebred husky and her two Heinz 57 mutts :laugh: ) have been on healthy radiance for almost 6 months now. They get a full 32 oz cup of it each and a can of Purina chunk beef/country stew/lamb/chicken (whichever i happen to pick up for them that night) each. They had been on Ol' Roy for the first 5 years I had had them until the mama decided to get finicky and not eat the ol' Roy dry, so we had tried Kibbles and Bits, Gravy Train, basically everything BUT Rachael Ray and Iams, and suddenly she started eating the radiance. Now tomorrow she might start turning up her nose at it, but for now, all is happy in the kennel with what I am giving them.

Just my penny and a half after taxes.

Oh no.. Ol'Roy is the WORST thing you can feed a pet! It is nothing but fillers, NO nutrition, which is why it is so cheap! The dogs make look fat and happy but it is all bloat!
  • ExYoYoGirl
    Options
    My dog (6 year old yellow lab) now eats only raw/homemade food. In addition to being healthier for him, I have found that it is actually cheaper than buying a high-end brand dry dog food, as long as I buy meat in bulk when it is on sale. I still get nervous about letting him eat raw bones (especially chicken bones, even though many people do this with no problem) so I use ground up egg shells for his primary calcium source.
  • jlong7774
    jlong7774 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Nutro Max. We get the senior version since both dogs are over 7.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    My lab eats Eukanuba. I tried switching to a healthier brand a while back but a couple weeks later he got really sick. Not sure if it was related, but I switched back and he's been fine since.

Could be a food related allergy... have you tried a lamb and rice formula?

No, I didn't like seeing him so sick so I didn't experiment very much. I figure I'll just stick with what works.