worst comment ever made about your weight

Options

Replies

• SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    As a bit of background... I am 5'5. I was a normal sized (though never skinny and knobby kneed) child, got chubby (ok, fat -- size 16) in pre-puberty. Then I dieted down to a healthier size (8s were loose) (on a very unhealthy diet), eventually got pretty disordered with it. Then I gained some back (size 10). College came, bad break-up ... skinny again (I worked in the college fitness center), but basically didn't eat and ran on a treadmill like a hamster on a wheel.
    Adulthood/happiness/grad school/ nearing 30... size 14, sometimes 16.

So, I have been fat, chubby and relatively skinny multiple times in my life.

I will NEVER forget shopping for school clothes (in the 'pretty plus' section), about middle school age. A woman and her daughter were shopping too. The daughter picked up a shirt and her mothers said, " Oh, no, honey, that's pretty plus." She basically said it like "that's a rotting corpse."

Same day, I try on the clothes I take home. My dad says, "Wouldn't it be better if those stripes were vertical?" (In his defense, I don't think he knew I would know what that meant -- little did he know, Big Bopper Magazine covers horizontal and vertical stripes). My Dad has always told me I was beautiful, and was very concerned when I was not eating enough.

As my mother and I embarked on a diet "You would be perfect if you lost 10 lbs." Perfect is a very dangerous word to a people pleaser.

In college... an ex-boyfriend would so "You are SO attractive right now," (sarcastically) right as I bit into food (mind you, I was at a healthy BMI).

Countless iterations of "You would be hot/beautiful/pretty IF... "

The night of my bachelorette party, a drunk guy made a comment about my fiance "likeing them with some meat on their bones." I was a size 12 at the time.

There are others. Having only barely come over the "obese" line and BRIEFLY, at age 14 and when I started MFP, that I experienced this so often. Many of the comments occurred when I was very near or at a healthy BMI.

At this point I hope to be a size 10 when I hit my goal weight (in jeans, I'm wide-hipped... so a S/M top). I am interested to see how I feel about MYSELF as an adult at this size.

As a size 8 (and very fit -- I worked out ALL THE TIME), I thought I was horribly fat, both as a young teenager and in college. I have never worn a bikini, even though in retrospect, I COULD have at times.

I am more confident in my appearance as a size 14 at the age of 29 than I was at 15 or 23 and a size 8 or 10.

If (when!) I get thin, I may be obnoxiously self confident... I sort of hope so. It would be nice to actually feel beautiful instead of faking that feeling.
  • Debmuenz
    Debmuenz Posts: 3
    Options
    Was on a trip with our Girl Scout Troop to the Smithsonian, (one of the other leaders as well as myself are not the skinniest leaders but we always did amazing things with our troop) and this mother with her three kids said loud enough for everyone to hear "I guess those leaders ate a few too many Girl Scout Cookies". Our scouts wanted to say something to this woman and we just explained that some people say mean things because it makes them feel better. That was 20 years ago and those scouts are now adults and they still give me a hug when we run into each other and say they are so glad they were in my troop. Who has the last laugh I guess, but now am losing weight and would love to run into that woman. :blushing:
  • ednabnana
    ednabnana Posts: 304
    Options
    This comment did not phase me but I think it is the WORST comment ever because of his ignorance.

3 months post partum & my friend's boyfriend told me that I USED to look GOOD. He further added this question, "Is that what happens when you become a mom, you get bulges all over your stomach when you sit?" then looked at my friend & said, "babe don't get pregnant!"

WOW.

He sounded worse than an idiot that his idiocy got me all tongue tied. Lol.
  • Jmstill300
    Jmstill300 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I actually had a very good friend admit to me as I got closer to my goal weight that he didn't want me in his wedding party because of how big I was at the time (somewhere north of 340 lbs) and that I wasn't his primary choice as his Best Man even though he was the Best Man at both of my weddings and we've known each other forever.

My dad and my grandmother also both harped on me about losing the weight and my wife did as well. The funny part was, even though friends and family told me I needed to lose weight, it took a total stranger at work (now a VERY good friend of mine) telling me I need to lose weight and that set the whole train rolling.

Some of these stories I've read...wow! Some people can be just TOTALLY heartless and cruel and, whether intentional or not, very hurtful. You guys have nothing to be ashamed of and should be praised for taking the steps to make yourself healthy. You're all wonderful people!
  • VintageDisaster
    Options
    When I was 5 years old, about to hop in the tub for my night time bath, my mom pointed at my thighs and told me that they shouldn't be touching.

When I was a teenager, weighing around 175lbs (I'm 5'7''), I went shopping for jeans with her, and when I told her my size (15-16) while browsing the racks, she asked ''What? Jeans actually come in that size?''

I am still scarred by those remarks today.
  • MelissaAnn1983
    MelissaAnn1983 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The worst thing I have always heard about my weight is that I look fine and I am not fat. I know when I was little I was actually pretty skinny. I should have been told the actually truth. I may not be where I am now if I was.
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    FAT @SS..... enough said
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Don't recall anything said to me directly... the worst comments were the ones I kept telling myself when I felt like crap.
  • sfoxy219
    sfoxy219 Posts: 103
    Options
    ...Sorry went to delete post and can't -_-
  • childofArtemis24
    Options
    i use to work at Wal-Mart and I was ringing up a woman , half through the transaction she asked oh when are you due? Keep in mind that i only weighed about 130 at the time.
  • Chantal34
    Chantal34 Posts: 128
    Options
    Last year a few months after I hadmy daughter an older lady at a Super Bowl party told me, "That baby sure did put some weight on you!". Another one chimed in, Yeah I guess you won't be able to wear all those pretty dresses!". I don't care what anyone says, I think old people think they can get away with anything. I wanted to tell both of them, "Time sure did put some wrinkles on y'all's faces!"
  • mlh156
    mlh156 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose about 20kg (around 44lbs for those of you on the imperial system), to get into my "ideal" BMI range. I'm around half-way there and feeling pretty good about myself, but... I volunteer once a month for a group that takes intellectually disabled kids out for the day, while their parents get the day off. Last trip, one of the girls stares at me for a while, then says "You've got a really big tummy!" I quickly responded, "Well, it's not as big as it used to be." She thought about that for a while, then said "Well, it's still pretty big!" Kind of brought me down a peg or two.
  • megansoriano
    Options
    When I was about ten years old I was walking with my bike up a hill and some kids made a comment "maybe you should be riding the bike".
  • 8bitAlina
    8bitAlina Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Man, all these comments are awful! :(

Worst ones made to me directly were :
    1) From my Mother - "You have such a pretty face, shame about your body"
    2) 2 girls talking - 1 says "Argh, I'm so fat", the other replies "At least you're not as fat as Alina"
  • swood0114
    swood0114 Posts: 43
    Options
    A guy I'm friends with just recently told me I have the body of a fertility goddess. I'm still not certain, but I think it was a back-handed compliment. It made me feel like crap =/

Lol I get told that sort of thing so much I've actually come to love it a little hahaha :blushing:
    I mean whatever, its scientifically proven that guys are attracted to bodies like ours! And from my experience if you mix that body with some confidence, guys totally dig it!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    My mother, holding up underwear in a store, saying loudly enough for others to hear, "What size are you up to now?"

Nice, Mom!
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    After having lost 45 lbs and working damn hard to do so, someone told me "You're getting so skinny I just want to vomit all over you." Umm... thank you?
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    These stories are breaking my heart! Every person on here deserves so much better than these horrible comments from husbands, wives, family, and friends. I know comments from strangers hurt, but the comments from people that aren't supposed to use their own insecurity against you are the worst. A very high percentage of these comments, especially those coming consistently from family members over many years are examples of ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIPS.
    I hope anyone that reads these comments and is receiving their own verbal abuse from family members realize that you deserve unconditional love no matter how you look, and just because they are family does not mean that they can hurt you! They have NO right to hurt you in any way. I know it's hard, but if they cannot keep their negativity and hurtful comments to themselves (or even better, stop thinking them about someone they love), you don't need them!
  • taylormaryj
    taylormaryj Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    A gentleman that I was involved with some how saw a picture of me at my heaviest. Jokingly he made the comment "you had your own zip code". He thought he was being funny but it truly hurt coming from a person that I thought was a friend and I thought cared.
  • RainAndPain
    Options
    In 7th grade, I had gym. I was running laps around the gym and a guy asked me if I was pregnant in front of all of his friends. I've never been so humiliated in my life.