Your views on 'CARBOHYDRATES'

Options

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I'm loving this thread already. So much misinformation right off the bat.

Carbs are controversial and rightfully so. There is too much mixed data on them out there.

I'm reading a book called "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living". Basically the authors are Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek and have been researching low-carb diets for decades with published papers. They believe that the majority of overweight people have varying degrees of intolerance to carbohydrate foods. They say that not only is a low-carbohydrate diet very healthy (often healthier than low-fat diets), but that significant amounts of carbohydrates are not required for athletic performance either.

There's a fine line in your last statement. Depends on the type of athletic performance you are referring to. I can guarantee that an offensive lineman in the NFL would not do well at all without a good amount of carbs in his diet. (Just using this as an example)
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

Carbs are controversial and rightfully so. There is too much mixed data on them out there.

I'm reading a book called "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living". Basically the authors are Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek and have been researching low-carb diets for decades with published papers. They believe that the majority of overweight people have varying degrees of intolerance to carbohydrate foods. They say that not only is a low-carbohydrate diet very healthy (often healthier than low-fat diets), but that significant amounts of carbohydrates are not required for athletic performance either.

There's a fine line in your last statement. Depends on the type of athletic performance you are referring to. I can guarantee that an offensive lineman in the NFL would not do well at all without a good amount of carbs in his diet. (Just using this as an example)

Well as soon as we have NFL lineman on MFP asking for dietary advice, then this might really matter.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think foods with carbs are the ideal foods. Vegetables? Come on, what is healthier or tastier than vegetables? And fruit and whole grains? Delicious and nutritious!

As long as the carbs are from good sources I say bring on the carbs, baby! They keep me healthy and energetic.

Bcatts! I thought you left MFP? How have ya been?

Nope, still here. I'm doing fine. Yourself?
  • joejccva71
    Options

Well as soon as we have NFL lineman on MFP asking for dietary advice, then this might really matter.

Not sure how to take this. :P
  • VanessaMFaulkner
    Options
    Lol...if granola & bread are so essential to health...why did our ancestors (cave men) survive (on plants & mainly meat)? We have grown dependent on them...I eat no bread, pasta, or granola. My zero starch, no sugar & carbs has left me healthy. No longer on migraine mess, no longer on LIFELONG heart meds, no longer on asthma meds, I was taking so many prescribed meds...& I was borderline diabetic. That is no longer the case. I take 1 multi vit, magnesium & a b complex...that's it. A usual day for me is lots of water, high fiber veg, lean meat for lunch, same for dinner...3 snacks in between...2 fruits, 2pc of melba toast. Healthiest I've ever been & that's with a doctor following my eating habits.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    I think foods with carbs are the ideal foods. Vegetables? Come on, what is healthier or tastier than vegetables? And fruit and whole grains? Delicious and nutritious!

As long as the carbs are from good sources I say bring on the carbs, baby! They keep me healthy and energetic.

Bcatts! I thought you left MFP? How have ya been?

Nope, still here. I'm doing fine. Yourself?

Between breaking some bones, surgery, and then breaking another bone, and trying to get back in the gym full time along with dieting, I'm doing good. Thanks for asking!
  • grinch031
    Options

Take it as, you can get farther than most MFPers need to get without a whole lot of carbs.
  • joejccva71
    Options

Take it as, you can get farther than most MFPers need to get without a whole lot of carbs.

Preaching to the choir buddy. My point was talking about your "athletic performance" statement. I made a retort was all. Politely. (which surprised me)
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options

I don't eat ANY bread whatsoever! No pasta - at all... no more! No crackers, no processed foods of any kind, no cereals, anything to do with the grain family... it is ALL bad for you. Serves as NO benefits AT ALL!
    What no sammiches:noway: I like sammiches. I put chips and crackers in mine:happy: You are missing out!
  • Kimmerz020202
    Kimmerz020202 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with carbohydrates and my Dr. said I should limit them to 50-75 grams per day to lose weight as they convert to cortisol, which is stored as fat. The more carbs I eat, the more I want, so I am modifying my diet to east less carbohydrates. It is amazing, one of my favorite foods, non-fat yogurt, is loaded with carbs.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Lol...if granola & bread are so essential to health...why did our ancestors (cave men) survive (on plants & mainly meat)? We have grown dependent on them...I eat no bread, pasta, or granola. My zero starch, no sugar & carbs has left me healthy. No longer on migraine mess, no longer on LIFELONG heart meds, no longer on asthma meds, I was taking so many prescribed meds...& I was borderline diabetic. That is no longer the case. I take 1 multi vit, magnesium & a b complex...that's it. A usual day for me is lots of water, high fiber veg, lean meat for lunch, same for dinner...3 snacks in between...2 fruits, 2pc of melba toast. Healthiest I've ever been & that's with a doctor following my eating habits.

You do realize that vegetables have carbs right? And melba toast is bread?
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Too many calories, regardless of their source lead to body fat. Carbs are the only source of energy that can be utilized by the brain and by red blood cells. They are absolutely essential to life.

No. Carbohydrates are NOT essential to life. You couldn't be more wrong on this.

THIS. They are non-essential.

They may be non-essential, but i feel like dog crap (i.e. brainfog, grouchiness, lethargic) if i don't have some daily. Why is this?
  • joejccva71
    Options
    I have a problem with carbohydrates and my Dr. said I should limit them to 50-75 grams per day to lose weight as they convert to cortisol, which is stored as fat. The more carbs I eat, the more I want, so I am modifying my diet to east less carbohydrates. It is amazing, one of my favorite foods, non-fat yogurt, is loaded with carbs.

Carbs do not get stored as fat unless you eat a calorie surplus, and there are other factors that are involved. See de novo lipogenesis.
  • grinch031
    Options
    Too many calories, regardless of their source lead to body fat. Carbs are the only source of energy that can be utilized by the brain and by red blood cells. They are absolutely essential to life.

No. Carbohydrates are NOT essential to life. You couldn't be more wrong on this.

THIS. They are non-essential.

They may be non-essential, but i feel like dog crap (i.e. brainfog, grouchiness, lethargic) if i don't have some daily. Why is this?

It takes 2-4 weeks to fully adapt to not having them.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I second that you couldn't be more wrong. The BEST fuel ever... is FAT! Please read my blog on the BIG Fat Lie! I am on a high fat, protein and mineral lifestyle change. We can ALL live without Carbs - "manmade" but we cannot live healthy without FAT! I have more energy than I've ever had, and I don't take in hardly ANY Carbs.

I don't eat ANY bread whatsoever! No pasta - at all... no more! No crackers, no processed foods of any kind, no cereals, anything to do with the grain family... it is ALL bad for you. Serves as NO benefits AT ALL!

I don't count calories, I eat what I want as long as it's real food, and all of it is loaded with FAT! The fat that is good for you comes from, butter, coconut oil, olive oil, animal fat -(LARD)- Omega's ie; fish oils, almond oils!

Bad fats - Vegetable oils of any kind - margarine - reduced fat, or lites... these are all man-made and in fact are killing us! Do some research, you'll be shocked at what you'll find.

So far, since January 19th - I've lost 30lbs - eating real foods, and not cutting my healthy fats. I don't eat anything, that says, fat-free, low-fat, or reduced fat... anything that says that... is BAD BAD BAD for you! Stay away. God made fats from animals, nuts, and healthy real foods, are absolutely healthy in every way!

What utter nonsense.
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Lol...if granola & bread are so essential to health...why did our ancestors (cave men) survive (on plants & mainly meat)? We have grown dependent on them...I eat no bread, pasta, or granola. My zero starch, no sugar & carbs has left me healthy.

Agreed! I too!

Virtually anything you can find in grains, you can find an as good or better source in the veggies and fruits. The thing is grains are a convenient source not the best source for sure.
  • LenaMena87
    LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know if the poster knows that fruits and veggies are carbs too? They fall under complex carbs but they are still carbs.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options

You sir are absolutely wrong, they are very much an essential part of life.
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Love them, they are yummy.

That said they are not essential to life.

Some people ARE affected purely by carbohydrate intake. I am one of those people. I am medically diagnosed with Primary Carbohydrate Intolerance. It would be in my best interest to survive on a ZERO carbohydrate diet. For the purpose of having a diet that is palatable and doesn't make me want to hang myself I severely restrict my carbohydrate intake taking in aprox 20 net grams per day. I find it highly unlikely that I am the only person in the world who is affected by carbohydrate intake.

Those who say carbs are essential to life where is YOUR proof? (I'm talking about the ones you EAT)
  • grinch031
    Options

You sir are absolutely wrong, they are very much an essential part of life.

Dude read some of the other posts, they are not essential. Dietary carbs are not essential. Glucose is essential, but it can be generated without eating dietary carbs.