Ladies - Would you date someone who is divorced?

Options

Replies

• korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    LOL been divorced multiple times as has my husband so I guess it is a good thing I don't/didn't find it taboo....IF I were single I would totally date a divorced guy over a married one :wink:
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I would....AS LONG AS the ex does not cause drama. I'm getting too old to deal with crazy chicks!!!!

Amen sistah!! Been there done that!!
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Well no, my husband would hardly approve. But if I were single? Sure. Extra points if the person could be civil to the ex.

same here!
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'm divorced, and my current boyfriend is also divorced. It's not taboo anymore! :) As long as they are a good person, who cares what their marital status is?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    No but that's mostly because I'm already married and plan to be for the rest of my life. I suppose if I never had met my hubby, I'd still say no because I'm picky and would need to find someone who's a virgin like I would have been.
    Why would he have to be a virgin? I imagine it's probably a religious thing for you, but can you not allow people to make mistakes...?
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Granted I'm pretty young and not single, but I would say yes in this hypothetical situation, granted there was no history of violence/harassment between either the person I'd date and their ex.

And if the person had children? I would like to say I would be okay with that, but I also know from watching my friends that there sometimes is nothing more frightening than baby-mamma drama! :noway:
  • CrazyLazyStylist
    CrazyLazyStylist Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Why not? First wife gets you ready for the second one!
  • Caligalslim
    Options
    Yes but he has to have no kids
  • kibby12
    kibby12 Posts: 32
    Options
    Been there, done that.

It was fine after his ex stopped flipping out on me & we established that I never, ever had to interact with his children.
  • DSCLBD
    DSCLBD Posts: 40
    Options
    I got married at 22 so not really an issue for me ... but I would think these days you would be seriously limiting the field if a prior divorce was a deal breaker. Of the single people I know if I struck off the divorced, has kids, and gay ones there is actually only 2 people I can think of ... and they're both girls :laugh:
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Yep--and married him and got.....his two kids, her two kids & her baby, her mother. I still think I'm the luckiest person in the world!!!
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    It would sort of depend on the reason for the divorce. I mean if the reason for the divorce was you cheated, then that would be a HELL NO. There is no reason to cheat. Even if you claim the marriage was falling apart before you cheated, I'm pretty sure waiting for a divorce would not be that complicated. I have been played too many times by cheaters, and would never go through it again. It would also depend on if the divorce was due to a major addiction (i.e. gambling, drugs, something that would greatly affect my life). If it was something said person was working through, then I would consider it, but if it's something they are oblivious to and have no intention of working through the issue, then no. As I said before, I've been played a lot, so my history plays into my choices. It all is really personal preference. Many women can just look past everything and not care. Those women were most likely not hurt in the past. Also, while some people are capable of changing, not many people are. LOL So far in my life (short as it has been, but not just through personal experience, also through the experience of family and friends), I have found that the saying "once a cheater, always a cheater" has proved to be true.

Wow, that was really longer than I expected it to be LOL, but at least I was thourogh right? LOL
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If there are no kids involved I guess I would give it a try...
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I have been divorced for so long, I forget to mention it at all. I think it is because I sometimes get mistaken for someone younger, men assume I have never been married. Heck, I am a teacher and I get mistaken for a student all the time.

I wouldn't date someone who was GOING THROUGH a divorce. But if he has been divorced for a while and he has no kids, yes I would date him.
  • daisyduck0427
    Options
    No.

Because I date to get married, and I am not promising "till death" to someone who has already illustrated that marraige doesn't mean that.

I believe this as well but what if the spouse was the one that wanted the divorce, you can't make someone stay or what if an affair happened. I am married, my husband and I don't believe in divorce but if he had an affair I don't think I could stay married to him. Fortunately, I am not worried about that ever happening.

As far as the original question goes. If for someone reason I was single I wouldn't NOT date someone that was divorced but I would have to consider the person, why they got divorced, etc. Then see what happens.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    If I were single:
    I would not seek out a divorced man, and it would certainly matter the reasons why he was divorced. Was he the sole reason for the failed marriage (did he cheat, did he emotionally check out, etc)? Or was it just incompatibility? Being divorced absolutely does not make a person undateable, unlovable, etc., but it would be enough of a red flag to make me want to understand why the marriage failed and if he had learned and grown from the entire thing. The sole fact someone was divorced would not cause me to make any decisions, though.
  • Ttopeka
    Ttopeka Posts: 160
    Options
    If I were single...I honestly don't know. Not that I have any general qualms with divorce per se, but as I'm only 22 and generally only date people very close to my age -- I might be a bit off put with someone so young already having been married and divorced.

I think if I were older I would see no general issues with it, so long as there wasn't any drama/immaturity regarding exes running rampant.
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I'm going through a divorce so Yes and I'd hope it'd go both ways....such a stigma. ;((
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I married a man who was the custodial father of four... from 11 to 16 yrs old.

It takes a certain amount of courage, but, yes, this was successful! We've been married 13 years now... the kids have grown up and gone, and we all have an excellent relationship. It really does depend on the relationship, and just how willing a person is to look at long-term goals.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    If everything else was ok with the guy, why not?... Of course, you are going to take into consideration his priorities when deciding on getting serious, but it's the same for anyone. Once you get to a certain age (pretty much over 30, everyone is either married, divorced, gay or too young to waste your time with. So you have to be open to going for the person who makes you happy and doesn't completely complicate your entire world. I can't imagine i'd have a big pool to choose from if i became single and decided to only go for people who haven't been divorced.

I find it strange that so many people say "no kids". I'd be more concerned if the guy wasn't committed to his kids from previous relationships. Yeah, sure, i wouldn't exactly want to move into a ready made family and try and pretend to be live in "step mum", and i wouldn't want to take on responsibility for someone elses kids, but i'd expect any man that had children, to be committed to them 100%.