Views on America

Options

Replies

• macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    What? Texas is not the "wild west"???? Ha!
    Tell that to my friends in Montana. They have had not one but TWO dogs shot and killed by neighbors. No fines or penalties either. 4 broken-hearted children as a result.
    You want me to tell your friends in Montana that Texas is not the "wild west"???? Not sure I see the connection.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    This topic brings up a trip me and my husband took 4 years ago. We went to the Dominican Republic and although the location was beautiful, our vacation was almost ruined by rude Europeans. A specific incident that comes to mind....we were waiting in a long line for the beach buffet, when I finally reached the food and just as I was standing in front of the food, an arm literally reaches in front of me and grabs the last piece of chicken. REALLY??? Why would someone reach in front of someone for food? Found out later, she was European. Also, throughout the entire week, we would say hello to other guests only to be ignored and scowled at. We couldn't figure it out until almost the end of our trip when we met a fellow American that spoke French and she told us that she overhead many European guests saying how rude and spoiled us Americans were. I couldn't believe it...WE were the ones saying hello all week long and THEY were the ones ignoring or scowling at us.

Now with that said....I can't say that I hate or dislike all Europeans but don't understand some of their views towards us. A few bad apples don't make the whole orchard bad!

I don't want to be harsh, but perhaps the problem here is on both sides.

From what you describe, what they did was rude, and that can't be condoned. However you mention that they were speaking French, so were you greeting them in French, or did you just expect them to use your language?
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

But where are the illegal guns coming from? Other nations that have gun regulation do not seem to have the gun problems that the US has. Don't you think there may be some correlation? Also, while I am not a fan of hunting, I respect it but I am curious why the NRA feels that hunters need assault rifles and armor piercing bullets.

My husband is a lifetime NRA member. I've never seen an NRA member use machine guns for hunting.

That would violate the hunting license in every single state in America. Other hunters would turn that person in.

Call me up on the day you see someone hunting with a machine gun.

For real.
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Tell me which other countries has a policy in fill-out application forms indicating their ethnicity or race. Only in the US. Not to mention that they love to give out stupid useless labels to minorities such as "Hispanic/Latino", "Asian". FYI Hispanic belongs to the Spaniards & not all Latin Americans have direct Spanish lineage. Asia is a CONTINENT & saying one is of "Asian race" is such stupid. The funny thing is that the term "Asian" doesn't include Middle East, Central Asia or sometimes even India as part of "Asian" category whereas they are technically part of Asia.

Every country I've lived in. It's not because the government is racist, it's for social profiling and can be used for good instead of evil. FOR EXAMPLE: understanding that a particular ethnicity is more prone to / exempt from certain cancers or diseases leads to research which can potentially provide vaccines / cures etc. You have to learn to look at the glass half-full aspect of this!

OK if that is the case then why the inaccurate label? For example the label Hispanic/Latino, as I said a while ago its not an ethnicity & many Latin Americans don't have direct Spanish lineage to qualify for that Hispanic label. A Mexican of mostly Indigenous descent & a white Argentine who is of German descent are ethnicities apart & yet there in the US, both of them are called Hispanics :noway: Yes we speak Spanish but it doesn't make us Spaniards anymore than a German who is fluent in Japanese language be called Japanese.

And Asian race? C'mon its not a race nor ethnicity, it simply means anyone from the CONTINENT OF ASIA which happen to include Middle East & Central Asians & yet the US defines them as "White".

Seriously? I refer to people who are either Chinese, Japanese, Korean or whatnot as Asian simply because I cannot tell the difference. I refer to people in the middle east as middle eastern - I do not call them white.

In the US census, there are 5 races (White, Black, Asian, Some other race, other) & they classify Middle Eastern & Central Asians under the "White" category. Honestly I also can't tell the difference between Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese or sometimes even some Filipinos & Thais apart from each other. I mistook two Chinese for a Filipino & some Filipinos as Chinese or Japanese. However I can tell the difference between a German and an Arab or a British and an Iranian.

If I remember correctly, those questionnaires are optional. You don't have to fill them out. (I know that doesn't mean you can't complain about them, I'm not saying that).
  • eightpock
    eightpock Posts: 61
    Options
    America is by far the greatest threat to the world and individual liberty.

We shouldn't be Exporting Democracy. The type of government doesn't matter as long as the government isn't too large and too oppressive. Our Democratic government is too large and too oppressive. It is a threat to liberty itself.

The Religious far-right that want to legislative their theology are dangerous people, those types of people are just as bad as the far-right conservatives ruling in Iran.
  • Onesnap
    Options

From what you describe, what they did was rude, and that can't be condoned. However you mention that they were speaking French, so were you greeting them in French, or did you just expect them to use your language?

French is not the Universal language in Canada.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    BTW I get 3 weeks paid vacation and a week of sick pay. 2 personal days and lots of overtime if I like it. I get to work in an office with ac in the Texas summer and heat in the winter. I get to jump in my mercedes when I leave and drive on a gorgeous freeway paid for by the citizens of this Great State of Texas to a home that I own in a gorgeous neighborhood that my job paid for and its MINE. God Bless the USA! Oh and if I want I can throw a big *kitten* ribeye steak on my big Texas sized gas grill in my big *kitten* back yard too.
    You forgot that you can choose to practice whatever religion you like, or none at all!
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options

And remember, nothing is free, those of you with Universal healthcare, you pay for it out of your taxes. Nothing is ever free!!

We have Universal Health Care in Massachusetts and we're the only state that does. Yes, we pay for it. And, our employers by law have to offer coverage to their employees to operate here.

Guess what? During this recession our jobless rate was lower than the rest of the US. Our tech and healthcare jobs were still strong during the recession that we just had. It did not HURT our businesses to have universal health care.

Here's the #1 reason I like living in a state with mandatory health insurance (the only one in the US): My friends with small businesses CAN FINALLY AFFORD HEALTH INSURANCE FOR THEIR EMPLOYEES. Bam, done.

I might be one of the few Republicans that do not have a problem with Romneycare. I think he did what was best for his state and he did what his state's citizens wanted. But just because it worked for Massachusetts, does not mean that it would work for the US or my state. I think that each state should do what is best for its citizens.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I understand that the person who started the thread asked for the opinions but as I go through the thread reading I just have to laugh at how ignorant some of the responses are. I am not trying to be mean but really all you have to do is see the high rate of people trying to get citizenship here and the fact that there are quite a few people here illegally. As for politics all countries have their own problems no matter where you live. If people were to go back and brush up on their US history they would understand why and how this country was settled. As for complaining about our school systems when you have never attended an American school...... Lets just say I would not complain about your school system.

Really? You are calling people ignorant for speaking poorly of our educational system? Have YOU ever attended school outside of America? Have you ever read a report on how POORLY our educational system is doing in regards to the rest of the world? Obviously not. I actually did attend school in the United States (in 9 different states) as well as in Argentina and in Spain. I can honestly say that the education I received outside of the USA was by far superior than any that I received in the USA. I even attended one of the top high schools in the country for about a year and a half (clearly, my family moved around a lot), and it didn't even come close in comparison to the studies I received outside of the US. Before you call someone ignorant for not attending a US school, you may want to step back and take a look at the bigger picture.

Good for you. Yes I attended school outside of the US. It is ignorant to discuss educational systems you know nothing about. I do not express my opinion unless I personally have experienced it. Most of these people are going on stereotypes and generalizations so before you attack people you should read what they write.

And exactly which educational system is it that I know nothing about? Refresh my memory please.

Your ridiculous trying to start an argument once again read the post did I call you ignorant? No if you want to blast the country you live in by all means go ahead but do not fault me for finding an issue with people who have no knowledge running off at the mouth because of something they heard or saw on t.v.

I asked which educational system I know nothing about, because you said I was speaking of a system I knew nothing about (it's in the quotes, see for yourself). I was just asking you to enlighten me on which system I am speaking of without knowledge. I'm not ridiculous, I'm curious. And I rarely turn on a television, and when I do, you can rest assured believe it wouldn't be to watch US news stations!

You are again read the quotes I was referring to people who do not know anything from a personal basis. By all means take it personally never once did I say you. Thats fine you do not like the U.S. school systems, news, etc. I am surprised you live here. Congratulations and good for you once again and it will be the last time I repeat myself so read carefully I never said you personally!!!!
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    BTW I get 3 weeks paid vacation and a week of sick pay. 2 personal days and lots of overtime if I like it. I get to work in an office with ac in the Texas summer and heat in the winter. I get to jump in my mercedes when I leave and drive on a gorgeous freeway paid for by the citizens of this Great State of Texas to a home that I own in a gorgeous neighborhood that my job paid for and its MINE. God Bless the USA! Oh and if I want I can throw a big *kitten* ribeye steak on my big Texas sized gas grill in my big *kitten* back yard too.
    You forgot that you can choose to practice whatever religion you like, or none at all!

YES THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew I forgot something. Thanks my friend! We have so many freedoms, we take them for granted sometimes. I thank the Lord!
  • Onesnap
    Options

If I remember correctly, those questionnaires are optional. You don't have to fill them out. (I know that doesn't mean you can't complain about them, I'm not saying that).

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/the-problem-solver/2010/03/the-us-census-and-why-you-should-care.html
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I live in America, and frankly I hate living here.

I work my butt off monday through friday for pay that barely covers my bills and groceries.
    I go to college monday through thursday nights, for which I pay out of pocket for. (yes full time school and work leaves me tired all the time!)
    I don't have any health insurance, so I just try to keep myself as healthy as possible.
    I only get 1 week, yes 1 week of vacation a year - and it's not even paid vacation.
    The political system scares the *kitten* out of me.
    And the way people here view the gay community, and people of other cultures/skin color/etc is just horrific.

The boyfriend and I are just trying to get through college, and then we're looking to gain citizenship elsewhere and get out of here!

I would love to help you leave. Good riddance!

oh let me just get the education and them were out. My gut tells me you received a pell grant.

Depending on her age, she may not have qualified for any grants. When I went to college, I didn't qualify for a few, but I qualified for others. If I had waited even a year longer, I wouldn't have qualified for any. It all depends on your age.

And I have a college degree, and am working at a job that barely pays me enough to cover gas expenses and groceries, and I get no perks. No paid time off at all, not even holidays. I'm looking to leave here as soon as possible because I can't stand the stress of wondering what the hell I would do if I got sick or injured. Thank GOD for my husband's job where I get free health care (well, we have a co-pay, but nothing is taken from his paycheck to pay for our insurance), and at least his job covers the rest of the expenses. His job doesn't require a college degree and he makes boat loads more money than me. If I could actually find a job that I want (Accounts Receivable/Payable) , we'll be making the same amount of money, if not (I would be making) more.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options

I'm glad you don't want a king because we don't have a king. Obama is our PRESIDENT who was voted into office.

The last President to balance the US budget was Clinton.

That is all.

With a Republican Congress! :wink:

But this is a good example, of how two sides can work together and get stuff done!!!
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options

No, but it is in France, which I assume the European tourists referred to were from, unless Canada has become a part of Europe??!!

I think maybe there is a misunderstanding here!

*EDIT*

I wanted to add, I'm not against the person whose post I replied here, just wanted to point out that every story has 2 sides. Also I think judging whole countries or continents on a few people you have met isn't really the best way to do it.

Everyone can make their own points, but I find the opinions of people who have experienced living both in and outside the US most interesting, as they have real baselines for comparisons.
  • Onesnap
    Options

I might be one of the few Republicans that do not have a problem with Romneycare. I think he did what was best for his state and he did what his state's citizens wanted. But just because it worked for Massachusetts, does not mean that it would work for the US or my state. I think that each state should do what is best for its citizens.

The system is not perfect.

Having small businesses in the US not be able to afford to offer healthcare to their employees is a CRIME.

Think about what you are saying.

Why should MA be the only one where everyone has healthcare. For those that cannot afford it there's a state plan. If you want kids and families to be BANKRUPT because the employer can't offer healthcare go right ahead. Health related bills are the number 1 cause of bankruptcy in America. I'm glad I live in a state that's made that a thing of the past. I'm glad my aging parents and small business owners can afford health insurance. I'm also glad by law they have to have health insurance.

If you want to live in a state that does not support the above go right ahead. I'm proud to live somewhere that had jobs in the recession and has universal health care. It's not perfect but it works.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I live in America, and frankly I hate living here.

I work my butt off monday through friday for pay that barely covers my bills and groceries.
    I go to college monday through thursday nights, for which I pay out of pocket for. (yes full time school and work leaves me tired all the time!)
    I don't have any health insurance, so I just try to keep myself as healthy as possible.
    I only get 1 week, yes 1 week of vacation a year - and it's not even paid vacation.
    The political system scares the *kitten* out of me.
    And the way people here view the gay community, and people of other cultures/skin color/etc is just horrific.

The boyfriend and I are just trying to get through college, and then we're looking to gain citizenship elsewhere and get out of here!

I would love to help you leave. Good riddance!

oh let me just get the education and them were out. My gut tells me you received a pell grant.

Depending on her age, she may not have qualified for any grants. When I went to college, I didn't qualify for a few, but I qualified for others. If I had waited even a year longer, I wouldn't have qualified for any. It all depends on your age.

After my parents no longer claimed me on their tax returns. I qualified for pell grants and financial aid did not have to start paying a dime until after I finished school. My husband receives all grants for his school now and he is in his 30's
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options

Um, they weren't in Canada. They were in the Dominican Republic.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

Americans need to get their head around the fact that, by all indicators, we do not live in the best country in the world. That doesn't mean it's not okay to like it here and to stay anyway, but telling people who want to leave that everywhere else is like a small, impoverished island nation suffering under decades of trade sanctions is a bit ridiculous, don't you think?

Like Ancient Rome, every great Empire has to fall sometime. America is no longer the "ruler of the free world" or the "greatest country on Earth" Those days are long gone.

I wonder how many were smart enough and lucky enough to get out of Rome before things got really bad?
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    We are not perfect all you have to do is look at the government assisstance programs and how easy it is to get this assisstance in many states and to live off of it. All you have to do is walk into any grocery store at the beginning of the month where I live and watch people fill their carts pay with a benefit card then walk outside and load their groceries in a new vehicle. Or buy steaks for their dogs because dog food is not covered (True story I was behind this in line one time) . It just shows how easy governments can be manipulated.

Seen this too many times in line, I have my cart filled with generic food. The lady in front of me buys food with her money. Then does a separate purchase of name brand name juices and bread using her WIC card. Or, they buy their food with Food Stamps. Then a separate purchase by cigarettes with their own money. Or paying for their food with Food Stamp, meanwhile they and their kids have smart phones and I have a crap phone and I paying for all of my generic label food for my family of 8!!

Let me play devil's advocate. I'm not talking about government assistance lifer's. How do you know the person you see paying their food with food stamps has not just recently lost their job and are struggling at the present time. They already owned a nice car, the kids already had smart phones etc... They need temporary assistance to get them through a tough time period. We already know how terrible many Americans are in saving money. :) . Are they suppose to sell everything they own immediately? Let's say they got a another nice paying job within a couple of months, they still have the car, the phones etc.... You may be surprised how many people use government assistance in a the way that it was intended, for short term temporary relief.

I do not mind our government helping people out temporarily! In fact, as a wealthy and compassionate country, we should do this. And you are right, I do not know if this is a temporary situation.

But, when my kids were in the public school, there were kids at my sons' school that receive and have always received free breakfast and lunch and they had cell phones when my kids did not and they wore expensive clothes. I remember one of my sons asking how come I packed their lunch when other kids got the nicer food for free. (The school had a basic lunch, but you could pay more money for the yummier food). I said because their parents do not make enough money, and the boys told me that they have money for nice clothes and phones.

I agree with you that there is plenty of abuse of the system and we have to eliminate that or else there will be no assistance available in the near future. I researched government assistance available here in Illinois when I become in unemployed in case my situation ever become very serious. It would be the last thing I would ever think of doing as I'm way too proud and stubborn to ask for help, but I have kids and would have to bite the bullet and get help if needed. Here in Illinois, it seems they have some steps in place to avoid abuse. They use a link card (not food stamps) for food benefits. You can only purchase groceries, not booze, not hot meals or any other non food items. My understanding is that when your items get scanned and you pay for them with your link card, if you have any items that don't meet the criteria for benefits, you will have a balance due at checkout for those items. You either have to pay for them by other means or don't buy them.
    You do have to provide much documentation and proof of your situation, your dependents etc... You have 10 days to notify the state of any changes in income, dependent status etc.... Your case gets reviewed every 6 months.
    That being said, there are flaws galore. To fully educate myself on this I had to go through the initial process of applying for benefits. Wow, what an eye opener. I applied online but had to go into one of the offices for an interview. Five hour wait!!! The office is badly understaffed. (sickens me with the current unemployment rate) I guess since Illinois is basically broke, this would explained the badly staffed situation. While waiting I talked to many people, especially people who know the routine. 1) Any paperwork you have hand it to your case worker directly or else they will never get it, even if it means coming in and waiting another 5 hours to hand it to them. 2) Some case workers are great and will do whatever to help while others don't give a crap about you. It's all in the luck of the draw.
    So if this office is so understaffed, I assume the entire state office is understaffed and very lacking in making sure people are not abusing the system. IMO
    Once I left there I became more determined then ver to get work and fix my situation, I never want to go t that office again. :)
  • gmctech
    gmctech Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Holy crap some of you folks are hard on the USA.. for Americans that dislike their home... The grass is always greener... In Canada health care is not free... we are taxed up the wazoo and back down the wazoo and around the wazoo etc etc!!! Our Canadian political system is also so f'ed up that i would never diss another countries political system. If you don't like something where you live.... CHANGE IT! get vocal! participate! I do it here in Canada.. if i don't like something, i join forces with like minded people! We just made to gov't here ban the long-gun registry and we worked hard and it happened! Things can change, don't grumble and/or run away.. Fight for your rights and change whats wrong... It can be done!