Views on America

Options

Replies

• boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    I live in America, and frankly I hate living here.

I work my butt off monday through friday for pay that barely covers my bills and groceries.
    I go to college monday through thursday nights, for which I pay out of pocket for. (yes full time school and work leaves me tired all the time!)
    I don't have any health insurance, so I just try to keep myself as healthy as possible.
    I only get 1 week, yes 1 week of vacation a year - and it's not even paid vacation.
    The political system scares the *kitten* out of me.
    And the way people here view the gay community, and people of other cultures/skin color/etc is just horrific.

The boyfriend and I are just trying to get through college, and then we're looking to gain citizenship elsewhere and get out of here!

I would love to help you leave. Good riddance!

oh let me just get the education and them were out. My gut tells me you received a pell grant.
    BTW I get 3 weeks paid vacation and a week of sick pay. 2 personal days and lots of overtime if I like it. I get to work in an office with ac in the Texas summer and heat in the winter. I get to jump in my mercedes when I leave and drive on a gorgeous freeway paid for by the citizens of this Great State of Texas to a home that I own in a gorgeous neighborhood that my job paid for and its MINE. God Bless the USA! Oh and if I want I can throw a big *kitten* ribeye steak on my big Texas sized gas grill in my big *kitten* back yard too.

Those interstates are from Federal Highway Funds. What is up with all of this Texas pride? Hasn't Texas been part of the US since they came seeking to join in order to avoid being conquered by Mexico?

Aww bless your heart
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I for one am very hard on my nation. It's not a lack of love, I would tell a family member if I thought they were harming themselves as well. "Love it or leave it" isn't really love, it's being a sheep.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    No, we did not greet them in French. If we had been in their country, we would have. But since we weren't, that doesn't condone the dirty looks and scowls we received, over and over again! Like I said though, that doesn't mean all of them are bad

I agree, and hopefully you also saw my other post with the edit comments too.

No it doesn't condone it at all, just saying we all have different perceptions of what is acceptable or not, and different things may annoy us.
  • boomboom011
    Options
    and BBQ
    There you go with your Texas, wild west stuff again. It's all about BBQ and guns with you; isn't it???? :wink:

and oil rigs.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Aww bless your heart
    You know no one but Texans understand Texas Pride! Too bad more people don't take more pride in their own states or country.
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    One of the best things about the USA is that everything comes in Peanut Butter or Cinnamon.

Mmmmmm.

Peanut Butter M&Ms are actually the best things ever invented.

and BBQ

*facepalm* how did I forget BBQ!

mmmmmm........ BBQ........ especially with the black Kansas City type BBQ sauce, not that nasty-azz redish Carolina style sauce. ;)
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    And that has what to do with Texas?

Montana is often called the Wild West.
  • boomboom011
    Options
    Those interstates are from Federal Highway Funds. What is up with all of this Texas pride? Hasn't Texas been part of the US since they came seeking to join in order to avoid being conquered by Mexico?

:laugh: :drinker: :laugh: :drinker: :laugh: :drinker:

too cute. If you ever came to Texas to see me I would show you some southern hospitality.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Holy crap some of you folks are hard on the USA.. for Americans that dislike their home... The grass is always greener... In Canada health care is not free... we are taxed up the wazoo and back down the wazoo and around the wazoo etc etc!!! Our Canadian political system is also so f'ed up that i would never diss another countries political system. If you don't like something where you live.... CHANGE IT! get vocal! participate! I do it here in Canada.. if i don't like something, i join forces with like minded people! We just made to gov't here ban the long-gun registry and we worked hard and it happened! Things can change, don't grumble and/or run away.. Fight for your rights and change whats wrong... It can be done!

Met an engineer while camping on PEI.

He told me he had a slice of metal in his eye 12 hours in the ER before a doctor would see him.

Universal Health care is not perfect. Not even in Canada.

Very true, it has more to do with not enough MD's though.... Would you work in PEI when you could work in a city where you'd be making way more money... My uncle is an MD and i know all to well the ins and outs of the system. My mother is a retired RN who spent her career in the ER and OR, and again know all to well... your system isn't perfect and our system isn't perfect.. I'm just glad that i have tons of emergency first aid training and my mother taught me a lot too.. I can run an IV if need be LOL... Thanks Mom! I have so many stories like the one you presented.. I'm a safety officer and have seen people wait hours for SERIOUS life/limb threatening injuries...

oh sorry he's not from PEI he was from another province. He was a nuclear Engineer.
  • macpatti
    Options
    And that has what to do with Texas?
    Montana is often called the Wild West.
    I don't understand what Montana, Montana being called the wild west, or two dogs being shot there have anything to do with Texas.
  • boomboom011
    Options
    One of the best things about the USA is that everything comes in Peanut Butter or Cinnamon.

Mmmmmm.

Peanut Butter M&Ms are actually the best things ever invented.

and BBQ

*facepalm* how did I forget BBQ!

mmmmmm........ BBQ........ especially with the black Kansas City type BBQ sauce, not that nasty-azz redish Carolina style sauce. ;)

and some tator salad with HELLMANS only. Holla!
  • macpatti
    Options
    Kansas City does have some awesome BBQ sauce!
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    We are not perfect all you have to do is look at the government assisstance programs and how easy it is to get this assisstance in many states and to live off of it. All you have to do is walk into any grocery store at the beginning of the month where I live and watch people fill their carts pay with a benefit card then walk outside and load their groceries in a new vehicle. Or buy steaks for their dogs because dog food is not covered (True story I was behind this in line one time) . It just shows how easy governments can be manipulated.

Seen this too many times in line, I have my cart filled with generic food. The lady in front of me buys food with her money. Then does a separate purchase of name brand name juices and bread using her WIC card. Or, they buy their food with Food Stamps. Then a separate purchase by cigarettes with their own money. Or paying for their food with Food Stamp, meanwhile they and their kids have smart phones and I have a crap phone and I paying for all of my generic label food for my family of 8!!

Let me play devil's advocate. I'm not talking about government assistance lifer's. How do you know the person you see paying their food with food stamps has not just recently lost their job and are struggling at the present time. They already owned a nice car, the kids already had smart phones etc... They need temporary assistance to get them through a tough time period. We already know how terrible many Americans are in saving money. :) . Are they suppose to sell everything they own immediately? Let's say they got a another nice paying job within a couple of months, they still have the car, the phones etc.... You may be surprised how many people use government assistance in a the way that it was intended, for short term temporary relief.

I do not mind our government helping people out temporarily! In fact, as a wealthy and compassionate country, we should do this. And you are right, I do not know if this is a temporary situation.

But, when my kids were in the public school, there were kids at my sons' school that receive and have always received free breakfast and lunch and they had cell phones when my kids did not and they wore expensive clothes. I remember one of my sons asking how come I packed their lunch when other kids got the nicer food for free. (The school had a basic lunch, but you could pay more money for the yummier food). I said because their parents do not make enough money, and the boys told me that they have money for nice clothes and phones.

I agree with you that there is plenty of abuse of the system and we have to eliminate that or else there will be no assistance available in the near future. I researched government assistance available here in Illinois when I become in unemployed in case my situation ever become very serious. It would be the last thing I would ever think of doing as I'm way too proud and stubborn to ask for help, but I have kids and would have to bite the bullet and get help if needed. Here in Illinois, it seems they have some steps in place to avoid abuse. They use a link card (not food stamps) for food benefits. You can only purchase groceries, not booze, not hot meals or any other non food items. My understanding is that when your items get scanned and you pay for them with your link card, if you have any items that don't meet the criteria for benefits, you will have a balance due at checkout for those items. You either have to pay for them by other means or don't buy them.
    You do have to provide much documentation and proof of your situation, your dependents etc... You have 10 days to notify the state of any changes in income, dependent status etc.... Your case gets reviewed every 6 months.
    That being said, there are flaws galore. To fully educate myself on this I had to go through the initial process of applying for benefits. Wow, what an eye opener. I applied online but had to go into one of the offices for an interview. Five hour wait!!! The office is badly understaffed. (sickens me with the current unemployment rate) I guess since Illinois is basically broke, this would explained the badly staffed situation. While waiting I talked to many people, especially people who know the routine. 1) Any paperwork you have hand it to your case worker directly or else they will never get it, even if it means coming in and waiting another 5 hours to hand it to them. 2) Some case workers are great and will do whatever to help while others don't give a crap about you. It's all in the luck of the draw.
    So if this office is so understaffed, I assume the entire state office is understaffed and very lacking in making sure people are not abusing the system. IMO
    Once I left there I became more determined then ver to get work and fix my situation, I never want to go t that office again. :)

I have noticed 2 types of payment. One is a card, I believe that is Food Stamps, but then we have WIC (do other states have that) That is a piece of paper that they sign. And I have seen things rejected on both (like one lady got a juice that was a mixture and it had to be just one juice) I DO NOT mind people needing these services. Like you said....you needed them and could not WAIT to get off of them. That is how it should be. If you need to help, I have your back...just as you will if I need it one day.
    But, I think we get irritated at the abuses. And then when we say something, it seems like we hate the poor....that is not the case at all. We just hate the abuse. I have a police officer friend, that was trying to get disability...there was nothing wrong with him. He would be the 3rd generation on disability. He was denied...but I just did not get why he would want to be on it. Sure, he would not have to work, but all of the kids at the ball parks think he is so cool!! He has a great job! But, he was tired of working.
    I have an ER nurse friend that sees Medicaid abuse a lot. They have to keep a sharp eye because they will use each others ID to use the ER. She has people use the ER as a doctor's office (pregnancy tests, colds) these are all services that they could get at the clinic. Ya, they would have to pay the $25 co-pay, but that is not bad for seeing a DR. But, the ER is free!

We have got to figure out a way to prevent fraud in our services so we can still have these available when people truly need them!
  • boomboom011
    Options
    Kansas City does have some awesome BBQ sauce!

how about some Mi Tierra's? mmmmm!
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I'm British.
    My experience with America and American's is two fold.
    First, the NHS is one of our greatest creations, and the fact that a developed and wealthy country like the USA can allow thousands of people to go without basic healthcare borders on the disgusting. As a future Doctor, I could never 'charge' for my services, the day the NHS does that (it'll never happen) I'm out.

No need for guns. Someone mentioned this was to 'overthrow' a tyrannical government and gave some stupid example of the Holocaust. We don't have guns and our government has never rounded us up.

American's focus on the constitution like it's some divine document and this prevents your progress. The most developed legal systems in the world do not have a constitution.

However, most, if not all American's I've met have been amazing people. I love visiting the US you just need to sort a few things out.
  • Onesnap
    Options

Please excuse my ignorance on what Romneycare covers....I honestly do not know. AND, I do think that something needs to be done with our healthcare system. But, I do not think that our federal government can provide healthcare for all. We are too big. BUT, our states can do something about it. So, what works in MA, (a wealthier state) might not work for AL (a poorer state), we might have to come up with something different.

I live in a state that doe not offer universal healthcare. We do have it with my husband's job. Before he had a job, we paid for it all out of pocket. I do love our state, even though it does not offer universal healthcare.

Like you said, nothing is perfect, but I feel it is up to the state and its citizens to decide what will work best for them, just like Massachusetts did for themselves. One blanket statement will not work, we need real solutions.

Actually we have a lot of people in MA that live in trailer parks, low income housing, and have tarps for roofs.

So, it's a mix.

Sorry that MA appears to be wealthier.

It's really not.

I went to a poor school that was made up of 7 towns (hubby is from another school that is another set of 7). I know that's considered a poor area. MA is anything but wealthy once you get outside of Boston proper.

Just really think before you write something like that.

We have extreme poverty in New England. In fact, half of Maine was unemployed the last I checked (I'm also a taxpayer in Maine).
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options

But where are the illegal guns coming from? Other nations that have gun regulation do not seem to have the gun problems that the US has. Don't you think there may be some correlation? Also, while I am not a fan of hunting, I respect it but I am curious why the NRA feels that hunters need assault rifles and armor piercing bullets.

My husband is a lifetime NRA member. I've never seen an NRA member use machine guns for hunting.

That would violate the hunting license in every single state in America. Other hunters would turn that person in.

Call me up on the day you see someone hunting with a machine gun.

For real.

Never said hunters used them, but the NRA has lobbied to keep them legal.

Hmmm... I personally think that every household without a felon should be issued an assault rifle (with a trigger lock), in case of invasion or fascist internal takeover, as part of the well-regulated militia clause that our revolutionary founding fathers setup for us. So why wouldn't the National RIFLE association want RIFLE's legal as part of preserving our rights? It seems like only misguided liberals or fascists would be against that.
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me very sad.

I am a proud American. I am also a Texan! I have guns. Lots of them. Its my right as an American to bear arms. I have a right to defend my family and my home. I appreciate the choice to own them if I so wish. There is a sign outside of my home that says "nothing in this house is worth dying for" and WE MEAN IT.

I appreciate our military and the sacrifice that they give to defend our freedoms and to pretect this great nation.

Unfortunately not all Americans feel this way. Like my friend said earlier thats the great thing about living here, if you dont like it you have the choice to leave.

If the person is a law-abiding citizen, he would have a concealed handgun license, which means you wouldn't see it. The only people who carry weapons in the open are law enforcement. Were not the wild west lol ;)
    I wish we could come together as a nation cause were falling apart.

P.S. we do not refer to african americans as "coloureds" as a few of you did earlier and neither did Rick Santorum.
    P.S.S. our leadership sucks right now. however, fortunately we get to vote soon. oh yea another right i have as an American.

I noticed a bit of sarcasm in your post, and sure you do have the right to bear arms, here in Canada we do not. And as a Canadian, it seems odd to me that the general public can just walk around with a gun. I think if I were to go to Texas (which I would love to visit) I'd be all, "OMG HE'S GOT A GUN!" every time I saw one, it's just not natural for me.

If he's a law abiding citizen, he would have a CHL ( concealed handgun license ), which means you would never see his gun unless he pulled it out on you. Only people who can legally carry guns in the open is law enforcement. We're not the wild west. Lol
  • Onesnap
    Options

However, most, if not all American's I've met have been amazing people. I love visiting the US you just need to sort a few things out.

I think I love you.
  • gmctech
    gmctech Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Holy crap some of you folks are hard on the USA.. for Americans that dislike their home... The grass is always greener... In Canada health care is not free... we are taxed up the wazoo and back down the wazoo and around the wazoo etc etc!!! Our Canadian political system is also so f'ed up that i would never diss another countries political system. If you don't like something where you live.... CHANGE IT! get vocal! participate! I do it here in Canada.. if i don't like something, i join forces with like minded people! We just made to gov't here ban the long-gun registry and we worked hard and it happened! Things can change, don't grumble and/or run away.. Fight for your rights and change whats wrong... It can be done!

Met an engineer while camping on PEI.

He told me he had a slice of metal in his eye 12 hours in the ER before a doctor would see him.

Universal Health care is not perfect. Not even in Canada.

Very true, it has more to do with not enough MD's though.... Would you work in PEI when you could work in a city where you'd be making way more money... My uncle is an MD and i know all to well the ins and outs of the system. My mother is a retired RN who spent her career in the ER and OR, and again know all to well... your system isn't perfect and our system isn't perfect.. I'm just glad that i have tons of emergency first aid training and my mother taught me a lot too.. I can run an IV if need be LOL... Thanks Mom! I have so many stories like the one you presented.. I'm a safety officer and have seen people wait hours for SERIOUS life/limb threatening injuries...

oh sorry he's not from PEI he was from another province. He was a nuclear Engineer.

They likely found out he was an engineer... that's why he had to wait.. LoL... JK gotta get my digs in on engineers every chance i get! :laugh: