"Big" clohes-what are you doing with them?

Options

Replies

• RaniMerryman
    RaniMerryman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Gather all the ones together that don't fit.... pick out your very favorite 5 pieces. Consign the rest and take the money you make to alter the top 5! You get to keep some of your fav's and won't have a closet of clothes to grow back into! I am giving them to my mom.... all of a sudden, she is my biggest cheerleader! lol
  • 88perfect
    88perfect Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i put a lot of my bigger clothes on a website called rehashclothes.com its great you trade clothes with other people so you give them what they want and you get stuff you want in return. i also took a lot to consignment stores. and gave a few jeans to my friend Brooke.
  • NWdreaming
    NWdreaming Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have made a promise to myself that I will not see those bigger sizes again. Even if I have favorite items, they are just clothes ~ expendable. While the money thing does suck, I do not want to revisit the big sizes just to get my monies worth. My health is more important now. I have been donating them to friends or Goodwill.

Try a tailor BUT the smaller you get, the less likely you will be able to even tailor that large of a size to make it work for you. It might be time to find some new "favorites" for the NEW you. :)
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Everything gets chucked into the goodwill bag, except -

I'm keeping one pair of super-sized jeans, plus the shirt in my profile photo, as my "Holy cow, I really was that big" clothes.

My very favorite casual clothes I'm keeping for now. I'm still near the start of my journey, and I've been so big for so long that it's a luxury for me to have oversixed clothes to flop around in.

All my black clothes I'm holding back so that I can donate them when my BMI finally drops below 40 and, while still officially "obese," I'll no longer be no longer be "morbid" about it. :)
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm being ruthless as I will never ever want to wear a size 20 again! I have just given all the 20's to a friend who's happy the way she is.
    I had some favorites too, but whats the point of hanging onto old memories when you have space & energy for a whole lot of new memories?

Enjoy your journey.... Letting go is one of the best bits!!

:flowerforyou:
  • hermiony
    hermiony Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    if i have an attachment to my clothes i prefer to give it to someone i know, if i dont like it or want it i give it to charity but the rest went in the loft because i may not be fat again but i will be pregnant so will use them for that!
  • nowhining
    Options
    GET RID OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After all the hard work you have done, you deserve a clean closet with NEW clothes hanging in it. If it were me I wouldn't think twice about losing them or the money! You owe to yourself.....Keep up the GREAT work.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    EASY answer ! I give them to friends who need them who are in different stages of their journey - they plan to "pay it forward" and do the same. And .. it's been a lot of clothes in the past year. Size 16 to an 8 so far and shrinking as I eat more and lift heavy : )
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    EASY answer ! I give them to friends who need them who are in different stages of their journey - they plan to "pay it forward" and do the same. And .. it's been a lot of clothes in the past year. Size 16 to an 8 so far and shrinking as I eat more and lift heavy : )

WAHOO! I can't wait to get my Kentucky clothes care package. :) Thanks, Jen....and you're right - I'll be paying it forward. 'Cause I know I'm going to shrink out of your old clothes as I 'eat more and lift heavy' too!
  • bashiera
    bashiera Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    The pants that are too big are going in the trash only because they're full of holes from me tugging them up because they kept falling down xP
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I've dropped 5 sizes. I took everything but a couple pair of my favorite jeans that are a size bigger than i am now to Goodwill. I don't want an excuse to get big again, and the one-size-up jeans will be comfy for days i feel slouchy but don't want to wear sweats or yoga pants.
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I donated all my huge huge clothes. But I kept a few sizes up because I gain 10-15 lbs when we get busy at work in the winter.
  • happypath101
    Options
    I'm kind of supersticious. I have a box of "big girl" clothes in the attic. Every now and then I look at them and think I should donate them. But, I have this weird feeling that if I ever get rid of them, I'll get big again. I haven't fit into those clothes in about a decade! I'm weird! (But, I definately keep variable sizes around. Everyone needs some post-Christmas, post-vacation, bloat day pants. LOL!)
  • rubysphoto
    rubysphoto Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Get rid of em! I have donated 6 large garbage bags of clothes so far to the local Goodwill, and then turned right around and bought new clothes that fit right there. No sense spending hundreds on a new wardrobe you will shrink out of in two months!

Nothing makes you look and feel as good about your progress like proper fitting clothes. All of a sudden you see that you have in fact lost all those pounds, and aren't hiding it behind old frumpy clothes.

Same here, between me and the wife we filled the back of the suv. Not spending full price when I am still losing then when they don't fit they get donated again.

I did keep one pair of pants as a reminder of how big I was.
  • cassuccino
    cassuccino Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Consignment, resell on eBay (for the really good stuff) or donate / charity. =)

I know if I hang on to them 'just in case', it would probably be easier to gain the weight back, since I wouldn't even have to go shopping for new clothes if I did gain. =)
  • danielleburwell97060
    Options
    Personally I'm keeping one pair of jeans that were the pair I bought several years ago, the biggest I could get at lane bryant, and they were still tight enough that I wasn't that comfortable in them so I wore sweats for a long time, and finally somewhere down the road I got into them comfortable and now they are too big. I want to keep them to take those imfamous this is where I started pictures :)

The rest though are going. Haven't much gotten to that point but I do have one pair of jeans that just FALL off me and I'm ditching those at goodwill ASAP!

And now that I'm losing weight I'm commited to only owning two pairs of pants or shorts at a time because I'm not going to spend a ton of money on clothes I don't plan on being in for more than hopefully 3-6 months at a time. Also trying like hell to avoid buying dressy clothes for perhaps one occasion since by the time I may need to wear it again it's too big!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I have been donating. Especially the pants. But maybe I'll keep a dress or something as a before an after. We'll see.

It feels like the pants are going a lot faster than the tops are.
  • FranWins
    FranWins Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I give them to friends who can fit them or donate to a thrift store.

If they are practically new and a designer label, maybe you can try putting them on eBay. In any case, try not to dwell on how much you paid, just look at it as an opportunity to refresh your wardrobe and maybe pad your tax write-offs a bit by donating them.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have donated hundreds of item to a women's shelter. I went from size 30 to a 12-14. At first it was hard to get rid of the favorites because of the money spent, but after a few visits it became easier to let them go and gave me such a good feeling to give to someone who really needed them. I let my sister and a few friends have first dibs on most things....but everything else is gone! My hubby joked that if I gain the weight back I'll just go naked!!!!! I NEVER intend to travel that road again. People have given me clothes along the way to get me thru until I meet my goal wt which is another 15-20 lbs. Then its shopping spree time!!!!!!
  • Shanz78
    Shanz78 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I cant afford to buy new clothes very often so when my clothes get to big i take them in myself. I just turn my shirls inside out mesure an inch in on both sides, pin it and sew it then cut off the excess. Its pretty simple, saves money and you get to keep your favorite clothes. I havent done a pair of jeans yet but there are videos on youtube on how to take them in, looks easier.