Bye Bye Death Penalty

Options

Replies

• Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness Minnesota passed the "stand your ground" (Castle Doctrine) bill and has a concealed carry law. I don't have to wonder if the MN justice system will avenge my or my families death. The bad guy will be dead before he gets a chance to test out this wimpy liberal justice system we have.

It sickens me to see these things get free room and board, education, skills training, etc for life and all they had to do was kill someone.
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    I'm Canadian also, and I do agree that if the person is 100% guilty, some people are just evil and deserve to die. For example, there's a murder trial going on in London, ON right now of a man who sexually assaulted and killed a little girl. The most he'll get is 25 years (that's the harshest penalty in Canada), probably eligible for parole after half of that. THAT is sad.

I'm with you. It makes me ill that Paul Bernardo is still alive as well, and don't get me started on karla homolka...waste of air!

OMG They are 2 others that, I mean, AHH I don't even like thinking of them!! So sick!
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian also, and I do agree that if the person is 100% guilty, some people are just evil and deserve to die. For example, there's a murder trial going on in London, ON right now of a man who sexually assaulted and killed a little girl. The most he'll get is 25 years (that's the harshest penalty in Canada), probably eligible for parole after half of that. THAT is sad.

I don't know about Canadian prisons but the first people shanked in the yard in US prisons are people who do things to kids.

That's the truth... the second is anyone that rapes women.

It's like that here as well.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options

I'm with you. It makes me ill that Paul Bernardo is still alive as well, and don't get me started on karla homolka...waste of air!

I seriously do not understand how no one has gone after her. And to marry that crazy b*tch? What the hell is wrong with that man?
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I wrote a paper in college about cosmetic companies torturing poor animals in order to test their products. The validity of the testing was often challenged due to the biological differences between man and animal. My suggestion was to do the testing on death row inmates. The results would be accurate and it would reduce the expense to house these inmates long term.

At the time that I wrote the paper, I never had a pet in my life and certainly did not classify myself as an animal lover.

I forgot to add that my well written paper only got a C :sad:
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I live in Texas. Enough said.
  • TeutonicKnight
    TeutonicKnight Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I am from the city that executed TImothy McVey in Indiana. However, being Catholic, I have a hard time justifying the death penalty. I am conflicted.

I think all those on Death Row should instead be dropped on an island with other felons and let them fend for themselves. Let Darwin win.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options

I seriously do not understand how no one has gone after her. And to marry that crazy b*tch? What the hell is wrong with that man?

I know, and she had a baby! :cry:
  • oildemon
    oildemon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Texas...we kill them back.
  • 600racer
    600racer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm for it and for decreasing the number of appeals.

No repeat offenders with the death penalty.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    My opinions:

The best argument(s) against the death penalty (in the US) to make to people who are for it:
    1) Executing someone is more expensive than imprisoning them for life
    2) There are numerous documented cases of convictions that were overturned many years later

The best argument for the death penalty (in the US) to make to people who are against it:
    1) Felons sentenced to life w/o possibility are, in many cases, an EXTREME threat to other criminals imprisoned with them (many times for far less heinous crimes)

The argument about removing legal defense is, in my opinion, ludicrous and would completely undermine a lot of core principles the nation was built upon.

The argument about torture beforehand is, also my opinion, very misguided. Capital punishment has a lot more to do with removing a violent criminal from society than it does with 'punishment' per se.

My $0.02, and as I said I'm for capital punishment.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I think on the fiscal level it makes no sense. In CA they live in their own cells, have extra security, have access to all sorts of legal aid, their cases are automatically appealed. It is much more expensive to keep people on death row. And they are there for decades.

“The additional cost of confining an inmate to death row, as compared to the maximum security prisons where those sentenced to life without possibility of parole ordinarily serve their sentences, is $90,000 per year per inmate. With California’s current death row population of 670, that accounts for $63.3 million annually.”

"The cost of a system which imposes a maximum penalty of lifetime incarceration instead of the death penalty would be $11.5 million per year."

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

^^^ This

I am for the death penalty, in certain cases.

But like in Cali, my state rarely serves out the death penalty...people sit on death row for decades.

Inmates get 3 hot meals a day, access to unlimited education, cable TV, internet and a vast number of other things that everyday people NOT in prison can't get access to.

Studies have shown that violent offenders have an extremely high chance of re-offending. How many times are we supposed to 'forgive' them?
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    If one person is who innocent is executed, then the system failed. While a part of me agrees that some crimes should be punishable by dealth, another part of me says we do not have the right to end someone's life. If it was 100% foolproof, my opinion may change, but until that happens, I don't believe in it.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    They should all have to work - fixing the roads would be a great start and would save local councils SO much money - it would also help pay for longer incarcerations for serious crimes! They should also have no luxuries - basic TV only (for a very limited time every day - no Sky!!!) and limited leisure hours. To be perfectly honest, they should be made too exhausted by work to be able to do anything but sleep at the end of the day - it would cause far fewer problems within the prison system! The way I see it, prison should be a punishment - for many, the removal of their freedom really isn't incentive enough on its own to deter them fro mreoffending, but if prison was made a truly dismal place to be, they might think twice about it.

I've often wondered why the "chain gangs" of the past were abolished. I really do believe that it is city workers protecting city jobs. If you had prisoners doing this type of work, you wouldn't need a lot of paid employees. Powerful public sector unions fight these ideas tooth and nail. (I'm not against unions, btw, it's just one possible explanation for why we don't utilize prisoners in this manner.)
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Only 17 states don't have the death penalty? Wow, I thought it was a lot more than that! I do live in one of those states (Wisconsin).

As many other people said, unless is obvious, 100% guilt for a horrible crime, I am uncomfortable with the notion.
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options

I don't know about Canadian prisons but the first people shanked in the yard in US prisons are people who do things to kids.

That's the truth... the second is anyone that rapes women.

I have heard that about child molesters many times, but doesn't appear to hold true for raping women. I see news stories all the time about repeat offenders. If they are getting shanked in the yard, how the hell are they getting out and raping again?
  • Flippiefloppies
    Options
    I live in Iowa, no death penalty here. In my opinion I am all for the death penalty as long as it is 100% for sure that the person is guilty.
  • ding30180
    ding30180 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The USA aligns itself with the enlightenment practiced in North Korea, China, Iraq, Iran, Egypt and Somalia! Nice.

http://theeconomist.tumblr.com/post/20060357546/daily-chart-capital-punishment-last-year-only
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My opinions:

The best argument(s) against the death penalty (in the US) to make to people who are for it:
    1) Executing someone is more expensive than imprisoning them for life

That is because the gov't is involved. They need to outsource it. Heck, I could carry out the punishment for $0.35. That is much cheaper than imprisonment.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I live in Connecticut, home of the notorious Petit family murders--basically a family kept hostage for hours and three murdered at the end of this horror. The mom and the 12 year-old daughter were sexually assaulted, and then gasoline was poured over the two teenaged girls beds and they were burned alive. The mother was strangled. There was only one survivor, the dad--Dr. William Petit--who worked at the hospital where I worked for 16 years. He was a mensch, and has been living with this horror for years now.

The two perps deserve severe punishment, in my opinion. I'm not sure the death penalty is it, though. Carrying out the death penalty--on principle alone--chills me to the bone.

"Carrying out the death penalty--on principle alone--chills me to the bone."

Could you elaborate on this statement? Im honeslty confused lol. I live in CT and have for almost my whole life so I am obviously familiar with this horrible crime and I was with you up until the end. Just not really sure what you mean.

I'm ambivalent. Emotionally, I would be satisfied to see Hayes and Komisarjevsky (the convicted Petit murderers) put to death. But, there's something that disturbs me about the state carrying out the deed. Someone has to actually carry out the death sentence--administer the lethal injections. Isn't that asking someone to forfeit a bit of their humanity? I am not entirely sure how I feel on this subject, since I have conflicting feelings about it.