Bye Bye Death Penalty

Options

Replies

• doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I too live in CT and I am familiar with the Petit murders and the trials of Hayes and Komisarjevsky (the murderers, who are without a doubt, 100% guilty as they have both confessed, and were caught fleeing the scene of the crime moments after they set the house on fire with both children alive inside) and when considering the horror that family went through (and Dr. Petit who survived, still must go through) it's hard not to feel they should be executed & Dr. Petit has spoken out against the repeal of the death penalty.

Just as a point of interest, the repeal would only apply to future sentences, so the inmates currently on CT's death row (including hayes and Komisarjevsky) will still be executed eventually.

I am firmly convinced that they waited for those sentences to be passed down before they voted for this.
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Exactly my point. It should be "guilty!" Bang, dead. Not "guilty." sit in jail appealing for 30 years.

Again, I am in favor of capital punishment, but you don't think they deserve an appeal? You don't think courts are fallible?

How do you feel on the 10 guilty people going free before 1 innocent person is convicted philosophy?

You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

Seriously though I am not comfortable living with the fact that 10 cancers to society are not being punished just so 1 innocent's life isn't ruined. We are comfortable with doctors being allowed to practice medicine when they passed with a 70%. Why aren't we comfortable with a court system that gets it right 80% or 90% of the time.

I will concede that the court system is not perfect and convicts the innocent while releasing the guilty ( do OJ and Michael Jackson ring a bell)?
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    New evidence emerges every day that exonerates criminals, some of them awaiting execution. Innocent people are executed all the time.

That in itself is enough to justify not murdering people with state sanctions. My taxes shouldn't be used to fuel murder. There is no such thing as "100% definitely guilty." Makes me ****ing sick we are even discussing this.

In Europe, believe it or not, they actually help criminals with their problems.

http://www.whyeverythingisawful.com/prison-walls-are-never-built-to-scale/

you've never seen true evil, there is no way to rehabilitate that, maybe God can forgive them but they lost the right to live based on their actions.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    New evidence emerges every day that exonerates criminals, some of them awaiting execution. Innocent people are executed all the time.

That in itself is enough to justify not murdering people with state sanctions. My taxes shouldn't be used to fuel murder. There is no such thing as "100% definitely guilty." Makes me ****ing sick we are even discussing this.

In Europe, believe it or not, they actually help criminals with their problems.

http://www.whyeverythingisawful.com/prison-walls-are-never-built-to-scale/

That is a HUGE oversimplification of the problem.
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    I live in Connecticut, home of the notorious Petit family murders--basically a family kept hostage for hours and three murdered at the end of this horror. The mom and the 12 year-old daughter were sexually assaulted, and then gasoline was poured over the two teenaged girls beds and they were burned alive. The mother was strangled. There was only one survivor, the dad--Dr. William Petit--who worked at the hospital where I worked for 16 years. He was a mensch, and has been living with this horror for years now.

The two perps deserve severe punishment, in my opinion. I'm not sure the death penalty is it, though. Carrying out the death penalty--on principle alone--chills me to the bone.

"Carrying out the death penalty--on principle alone--chills me to the bone."

Could you elaborate on this statement? Im honeslty confused lol. I live in CT and have for almost my whole life so I am obviously familiar with this horrible crime and I was with you up until the end. Just not really sure what you mean.

I'm ambivalent. Emotionally, I would be satisfied to see Hayes and Komisarjevsky (the convicted Petit murderers) put to death. But, there's something that disturbs me about the state carrying out the deed. Someone has to actually carry out the death sentence--administer the lethal injections. Isn't that asking someone to forfeit a bit of their humanity? I am not entirely sure how I feel on this subject, since I have conflicting feelings about it.

Ahh, I see what your saying. I would not want to be the one who carried out an execution as well but I also feel some people can actually handle that type of job. This is kind of a poor example but I can't really think of a better one right now. I could never be a surgeon. Cutting people up doing what they do, cosmetic or medical. I could never do it, ever! But some people are completely able (as we know) to do this. Just different mindsets is what i am trying to get at.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    This will probably be an unpopular opinion - but it amazes me that there are any states in the US that still have the death penalty. It seems medieval to me.

(From Britain)

I agree with you. The death penalty is counterintuitive (and not at all a deterent - something that any "punishment" should be). Killing someone for killing (or whatever) someone else is just silly. It's not okay for YOU to do it to others, but we'll go ahead and do it to you. Illogical. Mr. Spock and Dr. Sheldon Cooper would be with me on this one.

Unfortunately, keeping all these criminals locked up for their entire lives is becoming very, very expensive. So, I don't have the answer. I just do not believe we have the right to end another life for any reason other than necessary self-defense (the real kind - not the Zimmerman kind).
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    I think the death penalty is hypocritical (sp?) You killed someone, so now we're killing you...

Don't get me wrong, I think there are people out there (child molester's for one) that deserve an eternity in hell, but who are we to decide who lives or dies?

I know it is much cheaper to have the death penalty than pay for a prisoner for years, but cut down on their comfort, give them the bare necessities only and let them suffer that way. I wouldn't want to be the one deciding that someone deserves to die.

Exactly. Who the hell are we to decide who lives and dies?

Once you give us (or a government) that power, what's to stop the criteria from changing - from murderers to rapists, to thieves, to adulterers, to gay people, or anyone else society takes a dislike to.
  • jaric01
    jaric01 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I was born in Communist China, so I wasn't instilled with moral objection to executions. :wink:

I do believe in due process, but I think it's ridiculous that it costs over $1mil to get each death row inmate through the process. It shouldn't take 10 years every go-around.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I am ok with the death penalty but I am also willing to compromise with those who aren't with these stipulations

extremely small cell with a window so high you can't see out or no window

a cot with a blanket, no padding on the bed

only books about morals and ethics

food that doesn't have a lot of taste to it, no salt pepper, or condiments of any kind, and only water

no television or other forms of entertainment, no pens or paper

They quite literally just sit in their cell waiting for food with no taste and a boring book

Make it hell on earth
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I think serial killers should be eliminated, there is no amount of therapy that will turn "psychopath" off. I don't know why I should pay for their room and board in prison for life. Seems unfair. A 25 to life sentence costs tax payers $300,000 each.

I vote against the death penalty for serial rapists. I think they should just be 100% castrated and continue to live that way as a lifelong reminder of the trauma they inflicted on their victims. Also, if it were possible, to lobotomize parts of their brain that allows them to enjoy torturing children and women.
  • sfoxy219
    sfoxy219 Posts: 103
    Options
    I don't agree with the death penalty, I think it should be banned. You don't teach a thief stealing is bad by robbing him. You don't teach and arson not to burn things down by setting his house on fire and you don't kill a killer. What kind of example does that set? You can't kill because it's illegal but were allowed to kill you if you do so? Umm, no. That's like telling a kid hitting is bad as you spank them.

With that being said I think life in a 6X4 cell with nothing but a pillow, no phone, no window and cheap food. I agree prison looks a bit to comfortable for some.

This is what we need to do......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDO6HV6xTmI
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

Seriously though I am not comfortable living with the fact that 10 cancers to society are not being punished just so 1 innocent's life isn't ruined. We are comfortable with doctors being allowed to practice medicine when they passed with a 70%. Why aren't we comfortable with a court system that gets it right 80% or 90% of the time.

I will concede that the court system is not perfect and convicts the innocent while releasing the guilty ( do OJ and Michael Jackson ring a bell)?

I think it's really easy to have that point of view when it's not you in the hot seat. This is obviously just speculation, but what if that innocent person was your mother? Your daughter? Your son?

I personally would have no problem being executed if I knew it would send 10 folks who deserved it to hell that much quicker. But my mother? My father? My fiancee? I don't think I could handle that.

Letting those 10 'cancers' go free is what I think makes this country great.

I'm all for hastening the process, and removing pointless loopholes, but I cannot and will not ever agree with eliminating the right to appeal entirely. I think if the US were to do something like that it would signify a massive drop in our moral superiority over the criminals we're targeting.
  • 600racer
    600racer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    my opinion is that if we were all allowed to carry our own weapons with out the government putting such strict laws on how we are allowed to defend ourselves then there would be a lot less violent crimes. However, this would probably cause a huge increase in deaths too but, do you think someone is gonna try to rape a young girl if they aren't really sure if she has a gun and knows how to use it??? Maybe they will still try and maybe she will kill the POS before he has a chance to...problem solved...and YES, I would shoot the POS if it were me. I wouldn't hesitate in the least bit.
    Aso, if our legal system wasn't so twisted up these jerks would never get a chance to be back out on the streets.
    For the person that said it cost more to follow through with the death penalty then to keep them in prison....not sure that makes sense.
    A one time deal to kill them but year after year of crowded prisons, feeding the criminal, allowing him to appeal, suppliying them with a lawyer, oh and the best part.....access to fitness equipment and furthering their education.....WTH, a scumbag gets better care then 90% of the American populatin because he is in prison.
    Forget the death penalty let's get back to hardcore manual labor and chaingangs...chain 'em up and work them to death.

About 4 years ago there was a dramatic increase in conceal carry permits. In the majority of the states that allow conceal carry and have less stict gun laws, violent crime has gone down while states/cities with strict gun laws have seen an increase in violent crime. DC, New York and California have the most strict gun laws and the highest % increase in violent crime according to DOJ data.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I am ok with the death penalty but I am also willing to compromise with those who aren't with these stipulations

extremely small cell with a window so high you can't see out or no window

a cot with a blanket, no padding on the bed

only books about morals and ethics

food that doesn't have a lot of taste to it, no salt pepper, or condiments of any kind, and only water

no television or other forms of entertainment, no pens or paper

They quite literally just sit in their cell waiting for food with no taste and a boring book

I could get behind this on a sliding scale based on crime. While I don't agree with the death penalty, I do think that prison has become far too comfortable. Our prison system appears to be stuck between the philosophies of rehabilitation and punishment and are, therefore, doing neither properly.
  • katlynx6
    katlynx6 Posts: 68
    Options
    I too live in CT and I am familiar with the Petit murders and the trials of Hayes and Komisarjevsky (the murderers, who are without a doubt, 100% guilty as they have both confessed, and were caught fleeing the scene of the crime moments after they set the house on fire with both children alive inside) and when considering the horror that family went through (and Dr. Petit who survived, still must go through) it's hard not to feel they should be executed & Dr. Petit has spoken out against the repeal of the death penalty.

Just as a point of interest, the repeal would only apply to future sentences, so the inmates currently on CT's death row (including hayes and Komisarjevsky) will still be executed eventually.

I am firmly convinced that they waited for those sentences to be passed down before they voted for this.

Almost certainly. Several years ago when Jodi Rell was Governor of CT she vetoed a bill that would have abolished the death penalty even after it passed in the Senate and the House and she referenced the murders as an example of why she did. Last year while one of the defendants was still awaiting trial, a vote that would have abolished the death penalty was blocked.
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options

Just as a point of interest, the repeal would only apply to future sentences, so the inmates currently on CT's death row (including Hayes and Komisarjevsky) will still be executed eventually.

I have read that only the 11 people on death row will still be sentenced to death but not sure if it includes the two men involved in the petit case.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    If even one person is wrongly put to death (and we know with absolute certainty that scores have) then I cannot support it.

Life in prison is a much worse punishment but still allows unjustly convicted people to take advantage of new investigative technologies as they become available. Look at how many death row residents have been completely exonerated with dna testing that didn't exist when they were convicted.

We don't teach a child to not hit by hitting them - the same psychology applies to our larger society.

justifying the death penalty in cases of confessions is just "suicide by state" and hardly a punishment.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    my opinion is that if we were all allowed to carry our own weapons with out the government putting such strict laws on how we are allowed to defend ourselves then there would be a lot less violent crimes. However, this would probably cause a huge increase in deaths too but, do you think someone is gonna try to rape a young girl if they aren't really sure if she has a gun and knows how to use it??? Maybe they will still try and maybe she will kill the POS before he has a chance to...problem solved...and YES, I would shoot the POS if it were me. I wouldn't hesitate in the least bit.
    Aso, if our legal system wasn't so twisted up these jerks would never get a chance to be back out on the streets.
    For the person that said it cost more to follow through with the death penalty then to keep them in prison....not sure that makes sense.
    A one time deal to kill them but year after year of crowded prisons, feeding the criminal, allowing him to appeal, suppliying them with a lawyer, oh and the best part.....access to fitness equipment and furthering their education.....WTH, a scumbag gets better care then 90% of the American populatin because he is in prison.
    Forget the death penalty let's get back to hardcore manual labor and chaingangs...chain 'em up and work them to death.

About 4 years ago there was a dramatic increase in conceal carry permits. In the majority of the states that allow conceal carry and have less stict gun laws, violent crime has gone down while states/cities with strict gun laws have seen an increase in violent crime. DC, New York and California have the most strict gun laws and the highest % increase in violent crime according to DOJ data.

DC, New York, and California also happen to be the most densely populated areas.... dur.
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    There is no such thing as "100% definitely guilty." Makes me ****ing sick we are even discussing this.

Really? So a guy caught on video shooting & killing another person wouldn't be considered 100% guilty?

Makes me sick that my tax dollars are wasted housing scumbags.
    AH Agree!! Side note: I apologize for getting you confused with another peroson before! Truly "my bad"!!:flowerforyou:
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    @/rtalencar85

All good points. That is why more of us as citizens needs to do everything we can to protect our own and ourselves. A woman with a .38 special in her pocket could saves us tax payers a lot on a rape trial if she would put two in center mass of her rapist. Just one example.

I can assure the only sadness I will suffer when a criminal enters my home is the mess his brain matter will make on my carpet and walls. I won't be mourning my kid and crying in court when he gets a 20 year sentence.