Bye Bye Death Penalty

Options

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    This ^^ It's barbaric. If you keep going with an eye for an eye, there will be no more eyes left.

The death penalty isn't strictly about vengeance.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    To each their own.

I am against the death penalty and there is none here where I live (Canada, Quebec).

Not so much that I have any moral issues with the state putting the excessively violent to death. Rather that there is so much corruption, errors and politics involved with the legal system. In the end, I have no trust that only the guilty would be executed. You can always release a prisoner if there has been a mistake. However, you cannot bring a dead person back to life!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    My state does not have the death penalty (MA) but I am against it anyways.

To me, it seems the easy way out for these people. You murdered/raped/did countless other things to another human being, and what will we do- give you a somewhat painless death for it. I think keeping them alive and living in solitary confinement is a much harsher punishment.

Not to mention the fact of the countless people that are put to death and are innocent of the crimes due to faulty DNA or eye-witness testimony. While DNA testing is pretty solid now, there is always a chance of a mistake being made. Not to mention that there is no way to have an unbiased trial by a jury of your peers.

But hey- just me .02 worth.

I don't think the death penalty is about punishment, it's about removing them from the planet so the rest of us are safer.

I think if they have 100% proof of guilt (DNA whatever) they should just take them right out and execute them after the trial instead of letting them sit on death row for 20 years wasting everyone's time and money.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Some people deserve to die for their crime. I live in Indiana. We have a Federal prison that carries out the death penalty. Indiana is where Timothy McVeigh was executed. I don't see the death penalty being abolished here anytime soon.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    The death penalty is a perfect punishment. However, we do not have a perfect judiciary. Between the uneven nature of how the death penalty is applied and the risk of executing the wrong person, it's just not worth it.
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I dont agree with death as a punishment, its the easy option.

I think these people should be made to suffer for life with hard labour and other stuff. I think it should be tattooed on their face what their crime was and that they should have to work hard every single day and suffer the stigma form society ... and for some crimes body parts should be removed .. but that would be against human rights and be deemed too cruel
  • uberrach
    uberrach Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    http://lostwordsinthechamber.blogspot.com/

Read this blog. Updated daily. Last words from prisoners before they're executed.
  • tinattinat
    tinattinat Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Another example of our country and world becoming a Brady bunch pu$$y version of itself. Disgusting! We need more capital punishment, not less. Public flogging should be applauded, not looked down upon.

exactly
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    My state does not have the death penalty (MA) but I am against it anyways.

To me, it seems the easy way out for these people. You murdered/raped/did countless other things to another human being, and what will we do- give you a somewhat painless death for it. I think keeping them alive and living in solitary confinement is a much harsher punishment.

Not to mention the fact of the countless people that are put to death and are innocent of the crimes due to faulty DNA or eye-witness testimony. While DNA testing is pretty solid now, there is always a chance of a mistake being made. Not to mention that there is no way to have an unbiased trial by a jury of your peers.

But hey- just me .02 worth.

I don't think the death penalty is about punishment, it's about removing them from the planet so the rest of us are safer.

I think if they have 100% proof of guilt (DNA whatever) they should just take them right out and execute them after the trial instead of letting them sit on death row for 20 years wasting everyone's time and money.

Our justice system has failed at this time and time again which is why it should be abolished in all states.
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm for it. Coming from the home of Ted Bundy, I can't help but hope that they'll bring back old Sparky. Lethal injection seems way too humane for the animals that commit murder. I'd like to see it happen to child molesters, but I think that one is way in the future.
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    @/rtalencar85

All good points. That is why more of us as citizens needs to do everything we can to protect our own and ourselves. A woman with a .38 special in her pocket could saves us tax payers a lot on a rape trial if she would put two in center mass of her rapist. Just one example.

I can assure the only sadness I will suffer when a criminal enters my home is the mess his brain matter will make on my carpet and walls. I won't be mourning my kid and crying in court when he gets a 20 year sentence.

Exactly, that is my thinking too! you come in my house with the intention to hurt me or my kids I will hurt you and most likely I will kill you an the only regret I will have is the mess that will be left behind so most likely I will shoot you before you come through my door......which is thankfully an option in my state now. Used to be hey had to enter your home NOW if they are on your property you can shoot!
  • Babygirl928
    Babygirl928 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I was born in Texas, that should about sum up my view on the subject.
    LOVE THIS LOLOLOL:laugh:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    It's not cost efficient (or logical) to keep child murderers and serial killers alive. Why should your hard-earned tax money go to house, feed and provide medical care for 50 years for someone who, by all accounts, forfeited their right to be a part of society? Rape and kill 20 kids, and you get an all-expenses-paid vacation at Club Inmate.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Mm, I'm a Texan, with an UNREASONABLE amount of Texas pride, but we really do execute and life in jail way too many innocent men. Just one is too many. We haven't stopped at one! ;)

The appeals process for death row inmates, the money it takes for their facilities, and the legal tapdancing makes it financially inefficient. The fact that no justice system is without flaws makes it immoral. There is no way to guarantee 100% that someone is guilty. Forced confessions, botched evidence, evidence dropped out of cases and only found many years later...

Now, as a Texan, I support a Less Fun Prison. I don't want to pay for cable or new gym equipment, or great food. I'll allow for one ****ty library and tube televisions in group rooms. In fact, I want them out on the roads slaving harder than ever. If they turn out to be innocent, I can just pay them a bunch of money and feel better about life. Can't feel the same way if I execute them.
  • branflake6
    branflake6 Posts: 115
    Options
    I live in Kentucky and I grew up in Ohio. and I say eye for an eye!!

someone earlier posted a link to a blog that contained last words of inmates before execution. I looked at the link and I am confused as to why it was posted? Was it to make anyone feel sorry for them? Think about the apologies they are giving just before they executed and imagine it was your child, mother, father, brother or sister that was killed. does that apology make it all better. Nope. Agreed that when the convicted murderer is executed it still does not bring back the victim, but it is called the "death penalty" for a reason. You decide to murder someone and take a life into your own hands, well you should be penalized the harshest way imaginable. And while I am sure prison is a horrible place, and that I certainly wouldn't last there, it can't be that bad otherwise why would so many of these murderers be willing to take a deal to take the dealth penalty off the table? Because by human nature we do not want to die, neither did their victims, so why should the murderer get to chose life, the victim sure didn't.

Someone also posted "if it were an eye for an eye, eventually there would be no eyes left" I don't know anyone who has ever murdered anyone so I think the none murderers far out number the murderers. So I think we'll be just fine.
  • DavetheHYNIC
    DavetheHYNIC Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    So how does the state compensate someone who was executed then found to be not guilty later ? Factual speaking this happened dozens of times in the 20th century. It's easy to say only execute people who are 100% guilty but we live in a society of due process, are u sayin execute people who confess. Google the west Memphis 3 and see about so called confessions.

The death penalty is overwhelming given to poor minority people. Despite what Fox news and the other right wing fascists say in this country poor black men aren't the only people who commit murder. Is the OP life worth more than mine? Cause God forbid her or an other blonde white woman is a victim in my county the DA in my state (NC) couldn't charge capital murder fast enough.

And I'm not even going to go into what Jesus says.............

Well you got one thing right your not a biblical scholar cause JESUS , who we as Christians follow, didn't say the much quoted "eye for eye " passage. The bible as we know it is a combination of the Torah and the new testament which is about the life and times of Jesus Christ. Sorry for making you look stupid, use the internet sometimes to cross check your statements.

Also blacks only make up less than 13% of the US population. Whites 72% or so, I know its shrinks every year, so proportionately the #'s show a bias. I know Bill O'reily and your other leaders have convinced you race has no bearing on anything but men lie women lie #s don't.

Oh yea of course you don't care about the racial disparity. Your blue!!

This isn't a race issue like you're trying to make it. Crimes should be punished by death when appropriate, regardless of race, religion, sex, etc. There are plenty of serial killers that are white (most actually if memory serves) and several notorious ones have been put to death (Ted Bundy).

As it stands right now in fact here are the statistics for the number of inmates EXECUTED since 1976 in the US by RACE:

Black: 442
    Latino: 99
    White: 724
    Other: 24

Number of current inmates on Death Row by RACE:

Black: 1,335
    Latino: 394
    White: 1,380
    Other: 80

So, don't come to the argument with nonsensical data in which you feel that minorities are getting a raw Death Penalty deal.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/race-death-row-inmates-executed-1976#defend

Also, I'm no Biblical scholar, but pretty sure it talks often about eye for an eye and punishment in like kind for crimes against your fellow man.
  • b3llzy
    b3llzy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It's easy to say that you don't believe in the death penalty....that is, until someone brutally murders your mother and is allowed to live. To experience emotions, have communication with his family....when we don't have our mom anymore. You really don't know until you experience something like that how you'll feel then.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

Our justice system has failed at this time and time again which is why it should be abolished in all states.

Well that won't happen in Texas, and I'm glad.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    This thread depresses me. Whether or not you believe the death penalty is moral, there are way too many people willing to bypass the justice system and say they'd do it themselves.

Not only does that probably make you among the 10% of the human population that would gladly inflict pain on others without blinking, but it's so un-American. A huge point of democracy is that punishments aren't arbitraily doled out by individuals or those in power. If you want that, go live in an authoritarian state, and pray you don't do anything that would garner someone's wrath.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I was born in Texas, that should about sum up my view on the subject.

I'm sure not everybody in Texas thinks your state's particularly kill-happy courts are ok. I mean, Austin is full of hippies and folk singers and whatnot, right? And then there are the Catholics.