Ladies! Does it bother you? Guys! Do you care??

Options

Replies

• WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    A while back, I wrote this to encourage other Mamas, and also myself:

We know what are bodies are capable of.

We have felt babies kicking in our wombs. Our bodies can create.

We have birthed those babies in one way or another. Our bodies are powerful.

We have spent endless sleepless nights shushing and rocking and feeding and changing those babies. Our bodies can endure.

We have stretch marks and c section scars and extra skin and changed breasts and weight gain. Our bodies are a battlefield and these things are our battle scars, our badges of honor.

We know what our bodies are capable of. They are capable of being wondrous.

Just. As. They. Are.

And now we get to honor these bodies of ours by making them more healthy so they can keep up with the babies they have created and carried.

And if there are moms here who feel excluded because you adopted your babies: you have created and carried and birthed your babies in your dreams as you waited to bring yours home. You've got these badges of honor too, you just wear them on the inside.
  • FoodieGal09
    FoodieGal09 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm really self conscious of mine, but that's probably because I've still got the belly to go with them!€

Whenever I'm on holiday, I never notice anyone else's stretchmarks. I'm usually too worried about my own to think anything other than, "Damn I wish I looked that freakin' hot".

I hate my stomach, but my SO has never made any negative comments about it.
    I'm totally referring to them as my tiger stripes from now on!
  • BigAardvaark
    Options
    They don't bother me in the slightest! They usually say to me - "yummy mummy" :-)
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I've had girlfriends say "I don't even notice them!" if I mention anything about it, but I've always wondered if they're just being nice to make me feel better lol

And Amber, you're hot. If I was into chicks, I'd hit it.

Now I feel like an attention *kitten* because no one else is posting theirs :(
  • jaebarnett
    Options
    I think of mine as badges of honor (as does hubby - he saw both births and decided then that women are waaay stronger than men) He told me years ago he thought they were sexy. Since we have a relationship that allows the question "Does this make me look fat?" I believe him.
  • LadyLaLa44
    Options
    I have a few that are barely visible but I plan to lose a lot more weight so I might get more. If I do get em I won't mind at all. I'd rather be skinny with stretch marks than sloppy fat. I WILL be wearing a bikini this summer for my 30th bday - stretch marks or not!
  • oberon0124
    oberon0124 Posts: 10,527 Member
    Options
    In my opinion stretch marks are a sign of beauty to me. It means that you have given life to another human being. One to love and cherish. How could any man or woman look at stretch marks and see anything but beauty and the gift of life that mother has given. So in my opinion they are beautiful!
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I don't think guys care too much about them. I have a few around my chest and shoulder from when I use to be into heavy weight training. Tanning definitely makes them less visible though.
  • maritenour
    maritenour Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am still toward the beginning of my weightloss, i have stretch marks everywhere basically
    Whenever I envision the body I want I make sure to keep them in sight,
    I wont mind them whenever I reach my goals cause they will tell people where I've came from, you know?
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I have them; I'm proud of them. I think my husband would prefer if I didn't have them, but since they helped give us our awesome daughter, he'll live with them.
  • MMKE4ever
    MMKE4ever Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Don't notice them at all. My wife has them, but they just remind me that she gave me two beautiful girls that I love more than anything in the world. :)

Don't make me cry! That is sweet. :cry:
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I've had girlfriends say "I don't even notice them!" if I mention anything about it, but I've always wondered if they're just being nice to make me feel better lol

And Amber, you're hot. If I was into chicks, I'd hit it.

Now I feel like an attention *kitten* because no one else is posting theirs :(

It's all good girl, I posted my pic first!
  • amanda52488
    amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have them on my shoulders, hips, arms, breasts and in the back of my knees, due to a rapid weight gain when I was a child caused by PCOS )= I know they are there, although they are all white and faded in color, but they don't bother me anymore, even through I don't use tank tops nor swimsuits, but that's a personal choice, not because I'm ashamed of them =)

As for other women, unless they are purple I don't care, in any case, if you have the self stem to show them on public, good for you, it's your own body and nobody should care about what you do with it ;)

I have had stretch marks on my shoulders since I was a kid! I have never seen anyone else have them before!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that I'd much rather see a fit woman with stretch marks in a bikini, than an unfit woman without them.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    If I am in a position where I can closely see stretch marks then believe me it is the last possible thing on my mind. :wink:

:love: Sweet!

I have marks from my babies...and new ones from the weight gain and ongoing loss...not sure how bad it's going to look when I get to goal. I am seeing a damn road map. I just think they show where I've been and how far I've come.
  • ML0305
    ML0305 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I was very lucky during my pregnancy and have no stretch marks on my belly (I applied cocoa butter everyday :) ) but I do have some on my inner thighs and buttocks...oh well! It could be worse. It doesn't bother me as much as cellulite :grumble:

For those who have them...dont look at them as a flaw but as a reminder that you are transforming your body and you should embrace it ! More power to us women and men (if applicable)!!!
  • Nikkei24
    Nikkei24 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm bothered by mine, especially because I've never had kids. I got them during puberty and again last year when I gained weight pretty quickly. I get them really easily, I'm not exactly looking forward to seeing what I'll look like after a baby!

I've thought the same thing. I have stretch marks worse than my future sister in law who has 3 kids and I have never had any. All I keep thinking is i'm finally close to my goal and in like 3 years i'm going to throw it out the window by having a kid lol.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    i dont have horrible stretch marks, but some light ones. as i continue losing weight they may be more apparent though. I'm cool with that though.
  • hennyben
    hennyben Posts: 317
    Options
    Yes they bother me hugely, most are from my first pregnancy, but my 'overhang' from 3 c-sections bothers me more (although its shrinking) and really gets me down. I'll probably never wear a bikini and feel comfortable but its a small price to pay I guess, right??
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    i am 20 and i dont have them yet because i havent had kids. but my friend had them when she was pregnant and they were really wide and red...my question is do they hurt?

i think theyre kind of exotic looking actually...sure a woman can be unstretchmarked and beautiful but there is a totally different and amazing beauty that goes with having stretch marks. its like, kind of sexy actually like maturity IMO