"Lost 100lbs & found out what the world thinks of fat ppl"

Options

Replies

• annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for reading it! I have read this article many times and it makes me cry. I am no where near my goal of 100 lbs lost, so it also gives me hope, but people always see a common denominator of losing the weight & feeling they can't trust anyone because those same ppl that hated them before now love them. It scares me to think of that. i am currently in love with my best friend. he knows, but says we are only friends. i fear that once i lose the weight he'll like me- and i'll just accept it. i dont want to be treated differently because of my weight but it is a reality for those of us suffering with being overweight.
    it's hard to think that some of my closest friends, who say "i look great the way i am" are secretly thinking that i look horrible and should lose weight. :(
    there are other things you gain besides a thin body that changes the way people look at you, confidence, the way you walk, carry yourself. it is not all about being fat, when i was i didnt like myself very much, so that has changed me with the losses. i dont take **** off of any body any more! because I realize that I am worth way more than that. but yes it is sad that it took the weight loss to make me realize it!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    It's not a cruel world. it's plainly survival of the fittest, nature doing what it does that has enabled it to survive. obese people are unhealthy people and unhealthy people do not survive. it is the same across the animal kingdom board- weak animals get left behind. That's the only way Nature can improve. It is what it is.
  • Amy_Lynn74
    Amy_Lynn74 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It is so sad the way society judges people and it isn't fair.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    It's not a cruel world. it's plainly survival of the fittest, nature doing what it does that has enabled it to survive. obese people are unhealthy people and unhealthy people do not survive. it is the same across the animal kingdom board- weak animals get left behind. That's the only way Nature can improve. It is what it is.

So we should just treat each other like crap because hey, it's nature's way! No thanks, I'll shoot for being a little better than just an animal.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I am from Oklahoma too, and a Lot of what you say is true, although I haven't experienced it quite to the degree that this writer has. I do often feel like an "Undercover Spy From Team Fat".
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    Hello you all. This is an article copied from the link below in which a woman talks about the social stigma of losing 100 lbs. I have read this multiple times. I'm interested in hearing what some of you think about it.

"I come from a small-ish town in Oklahoma where we’ve never met a vegetable we couldn’t fry and the only thing more super-sized than our portions are the huge church complexes that alternate with fast-food restaurants along our roads.
    So it maybe isn’t such a big surprise that by the time I graduated from high school, I weighed 260 pounds. My prom dress was a size 24, and my mother had to help me zip it up, a five-minute ordeal during which we grunted and cursed at one another. My aunt had to custom-make my graduation gown, a huge white tent in which I resembled the Stay-Puft marshmallow man. Still, I left for college in New York City feeling relatively confident. After all, I wasn’t just fat. I was also stylish, managing to alter and combine pieces in a way where they overcame their origins as shapeless sacks designed by people with the gall to decorate plus-size garments with ice-cream cones and slices of pizza. And I was hilarious, *****y and sexually brash, defense mechanisms mastered by fat women and gay men everywhere.
    I wasn’t immune — hurtful things would happen on occasion. Groups of rowdy teenagers sometimes yelled insults at me from car windows. I gave my phone number to a nice guy, only to find out when he called that he had a fetish for overweight women, shamelessly telling me that he likes “something to grab onto” during sex. Or someone would approach me out of nowhere on the street and tell me not to worry about how I look; someday — when I’m ready — I’ll lose the weight. And of course, I compared myself endlessly to the impossibly thin women in magazines, just like the average-weight women I knew, to whom I also, by the way, compared myself.
    Despite these blows to your self-esteem, for the most part nobody close to you really tells you to your face what they think about your weight. As a result, a fat girl’s worldview is missing vital pieces of information. When you don’t get invited on your friends’ man-catching all-girl outings, or when men who enjoy sleeping with you over and over again fail to want to date you, you can’t quite comprehend that all this is really caused by the way you look.
    But then, the summer before my junior year of college, something changed. I made a promise to myself to diet just for one summer, and for the first time I saw results. On a low-carb plan, I started melting away, shrinking inwards. I began to grow collarbones and hipbones, sprouting bony, sharp spots all over my body. By the end of the summer, I was 50 pounds lighter, and within a year I was down to 160 pounds on my 5’11″ frame, a solid size 10.
    It’s been six years now that I’ve maintained that weight loss, and it is far and away the best thing I’ve ever done for myself. Not because I’m healthier and will probably live longer, but because I now reap the benefits of a society set up to punish fat people for the unforgivable crime of eating too much.
    I hear the fat jokes right out loud now, instead of just a whispering breeze brushing past my ear. Men who used to let the door swing shut in my face now hold it open for me politely and look me up and down as I step past. My own boyfriend, a man I began dating a few months after reaching my goal weight, sees the picture on my driver’s license and admits he probably wouldn’t have gone out with me when I looked like that. I appreciate his honesty. It’s better than the good-intentioned people who gush upon seeing the new me, “You’re so pretty now!” before stammeringly adding, “Not that you weren’t, uh, pretty before.”
    Finding yourself suddenly thin after a lifetime of being fat is a bit like stepping into that “Saturday Night Live” sketch where Eddie Murphy goes undercover as a white guy and discovers that white people act completely differently when there are no black people around. With no outward sign of my former body type, I became a renegade spy for Team F.A.T.
    Of course, I didn’t discover that thin people drink cocktails and dance when fat people get off the bus. But when I lost weight, I was rewarded with membership in a club I never knew existed, where the benefits included better treatment, greater professional success and, above all, a new status as qualified participant in the social world including romantic relationships.
    Of course, I lost weight to reap these benefits. But it doesn’t stop me from being angry that I had to lose weight to reap these benefits. Of those who are nice to me now, who would have been rude to me before? Which ones made the cruel jokes? Who can be trusted?
    As the years pass, it is easy to forget. I have even, on a few occasions, found myself looking at an overweight person with faint disdain, forgetting those years I struggled with the very same issue. I hope never to gain back the weight I lost. But I have seen another side of people that I cannot forget. And with any luck, I never will.
    I hope I always stay fat on the inside."

http://www.thefrisky.com/2010-08-09/girl-talk-i-lost-100-pounds-and-found-out-what-the-world-thinks-of-fat/
    (there are pictures on the website)

most of this is my life and it is nicely written.
  • rehtaeh78
    rehtaeh78 Posts: 90
    Options
    I LOVE this article. I have been trying to explain this phenomenon to my friends buy they don't understand. I too have started to experience men holding doors open for me and randomly greeting me. I get treated better. It makes me happy, sad and mad all at the same time.

^^This
  • TKmj5619
    TKmj5619 Posts: 20
    Options
    This is so true...thanks for sharing. I am an RN and have great reviews and comments..even being names as being in the top 10% on my yearly reviews...but, I find that I have to prove myself to my patients. I do not simply have their confidence as soon as I walk in their hosp room. I have to win them over; not that I am trying to. But, I see the transition in them, as I have spent my day with them. Sad...but it is one of my motivating factors...to simply walk in a room and have a person's confidence in me.
  • anitasongs
    anitasongs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Bravo! I know that I will fight for the fat person once I do lose the weight.
    It is unfair.. how people are prejudice
    Stare at you in any environment and have no respect for an overweight person.
    But as I have seen many people reap that kind of injustice ....if you can make fun of someone you are immature and you one day will have to learn the lesson of sensitivety, it is God's Way.
    What goes around comes back around.
    In one way or another.
    So I tell people who stare I say grow up and be kind!
    Anita
  • IHeartNewMe
    IHeartNewMe Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    "Bump"ing this to read!
  • hilarryus
    hilarryus Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This girl in a short ariticle has explained 100% everything that i am feeling. I cannot tell you home much this is true and how sad that it is. A mere 9 months ago i was 310lbs and whenever a guy would look at me or make a commet i alway thought it was a cruel joke. Now that i am 107 lbs lighter, i get hit on, people actually sit next to me on public transit and i am payed more attention too in a good way. When she says that she hopes to stay fat inside? I completely agree. Always remember where you come from!
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Well said! :smile:

I see this everyday. People do treat you different when you are overweight. And yes, they do say those things and more behind your back. :angry:

What a cruel world it can be. :grumble:

I am so proud of you and I too, hope you stay 'fat' on the inside. I plan to! :happy:

Thanks for sharing!:flowerforyou:
  • EMagineBeingEMazing
    Options
    bump
  • rachaelcousins
    Options
    What I want to know is who has the damn right to shout things out of windows, sod them little minded people, just look out for yourself and the people who really matter x
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    That was amazing...
  • Skinslover61
    Skinslover61 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more..have experienced many of those same reactions. I am making a conscious effort to NOT treat obese people the way I was treated. I am willing to share my success with any and all persons that want help...think I may have found my calling.... :happy:
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Great article and so true. I've lost 40 lbs and have just started getting positive attention instead of feeling invisible. I agree it's nice but annoying at the same time. A sad fact of life for the overweight woman.
  • brandi22479
    brandi22479 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I know what she means...
    I lost 130 lbs through gastric bypass surgery and I completely understand everything she said.
  • janellag
    janellag Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    bump
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,996 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!