I am annoyed with the anti-lady-muscle posts.

Options

Replies

• harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I'm at work so I can't spend much time on this apparently controversial thread started by a woman asking that you stop bashing other women, but I want to tell you all that more than the anti-fat and anti-skinny posts that you see here and are also objectionable, the anti-strong woman post has an added thread of misogyny.

In cultures around the world, thin women may be valued, or fat women may be valued. Similarly tan or not tan may be valued. It is generally a matter of what can be obtained by upper class people who don't have to work (so much for a living) (ie the antebellum southern woman went through great effort to avoid skin exposure while the current day southern woman may well spend hours in a tanning bed).

What doesn't happen in misogynist cultures is for women who are strong to be valued. So when you spout that crap here, you are continuing a hateful system. Stop it.

Plus, outside of the quite obvious hotness benefits of lifting for women, the health benefits are too many to be enumerated, and more so and differently than for cardio only. So knock it off with the hate just for the promotion of women's health reasons.

I am so proud to have women like this on my friends list. Women who are not just strong physically, but internally as well. Women who lift not because they worry about what the boys are going to say about them, but because they love the way they look and feel about themselves.

Strong women. Nothing hotter.

And THAT is why I like having you on my Friends list. You rock!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I told my husband I was upping my weight in my Body Pump class. He said just make sure you don't look like a dude whe you come home. Thanks for the support, darling! JERK!

Aww hun, he wasn't being unsupportive lol, most people...even most men, believe if a woman is lifting heavy, they'll look like a guy in no time.

Stupid, and inaccurate stereotype.

My husband used to think that way, but since I've been working out for so long and he can see with his own eyes that I've gotten smaller (and leaner) NOT bigger (and bulkier) he has a lot more appreciation for all the hard work I put into my body. :)I think he's even beginning to find my little muscles attractive! Lol

And well he should...I damn well would =p.

:laugh: :blushing: Thanks! He does I think, just maybe a little bit intimidated by the idea of me having muscles. He is a skinny dude after all, and sometimes I think he's worried about me getting more muscular than him. He can still beat me in arm wrestling with no question, so I don't think that's going to happen any time soon... lol I still try though! XD

Just don't ever let yourself beat him, and you're golden =D.

Or start a lifting program together. He'll get stronger bigger way faster than you. Damn men.
  • hanna6774
    hanna6774 Posts: 225
    Options
    i think there is a difference between fit muscles, being sexy, ie this
    muscle1.jpg
    and creepy muscles, ie this
    muscles.gif

EXACTLY! The top model would be perfect if she didn't have those fake boobies!!!! Uh Oh, I think I may have started something......
  • emgawne
    emgawne Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm at work so I can't spend much time on this apparently controversial thread started by a woman asking that you stop bashing other women, but I want to tell you all that more than the anti-fat and anti-skinny posts that you see here and are also objectionable, the anti-strong woman post has an added thread of misogyny.

In cultures around the world, thin women may be valued, or fat women may be valued. Similarly tan or not tan may be valued. It is generally a matter of what can be obtained by upper class people who don't have to work (so much for a living) (ie the antebellum southern woman went through great effort to avoid skin exposure while the current day southern woman may well spend hours in a tanning bed).

What doesn't happen in misogynist cultures is for women who are strong to be valued. So when you spout that crap here, you are continuing a hateful system. Stop it.

Plus, outside of the quite obvious hotness benefits of lifting for women, the health benefits are too many to be enumerated, and more so and differently than for cardio only. So knock it off with the hate just for the promotion of women's health reasons.

wonderful post!!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I particularly don't like muscles, for boys or girls. I am currently trying to get rid of muscles of my legs, because they are thick and I hate it. But apparently it is easier to get rid of fat then muscles.
    But your body looks nice, since you like muscles. I would definitely be afraid of you!

really? You are trying to get rid of MUSCLES or is it actually body fat? (sorry, hard to tell with no picture and I am just curious). How did you obtain said muscles?
  • Johnsweaver
    Johnsweaver Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have big hands too.

Careful now, who knows what someone will say about you next.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I deadlift twice my body weight and I definitely don't have "boy muscles."

Woman - picking up and putting down weights will not turn you into a SHE-MAN!

To each her own...you are in much better health than me, and that's to be commended. But your muscles are pretty masculine. The high jumper pic, which fit and muscular, is more what I ascribe to be one day...still soft and womanly, but strong and fit.

Wow this is one of the rudest thing I ever saw here.

How about you post a pic of yourself so we can critic you?

What is so rude? I commended her for the dedication she gives to her health and admitted that she is in far better health than I am.

You insulted her appearance. Go ahead and post your body. If you can dish out insults, then be prepared to accept them. Go on, do it. I dare you.

PS You were exceptionally rude.

I approve this message

This chicka is one of my fav MFP friends!! The deadlifter that is with the awesome abs!!
    Keep rocking girl :)
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I particularly don't like muscles, for boys or girls. I am currently trying to get rid of muscles of my legs, because they are thick and I hate it. But apparently it is easier to get rid of fat then muscles.
    But your body looks nice, since you like muscles. I would definitely be afraid of you!
    I have never heard anyone want to get rig of muscles...thats a new one to me

My last girlfriend said I almost had too much muscle for her...and I'm no bodybuilder. Oddly enough, she naturally had a somewhat muscular (and still shapely) figure.

By the way, it's not hard to get rid of muscle...just go do mindless cardio for miles and miles and miles like all the skinny fat women at the gym.
    Options
    alot of guys just get intimidated when a women has more muscle, or is in better shape then they are. lol i say bring on the sexy in shape women. lol but sometimes washboard abs do freak me out on a women, because i enjoy the soft subtle body of a women and a soft kissable midsection :)

ya, I don't care how many men said that, including my husband (figuratively speaking obviously), I would still want my abs, because they are for me and showcase my hard work.
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options

My last girlfriend said I almost had too much muscle for her...and I'm no bodybuilder. Oddly enough, she naturally had a somewhat muscular (and still shapely) figure.

By the way, it's not hard to get rid of muscle...just go do mindless cardio for miles and miles and miles like all the skinny fat women at the gym.
    I agree if you wanna be skinny fat go for it, i just still wont understand it lol
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I told my husband I was upping my weight in my Body Pump class. He said just make sure you don't look like a dude whe you come home. Thanks for the support, darling! JERK!

Aww hun, he wasn't being unsupportive lol, most people...even most men, believe if a woman is lifting heavy, they'll look like a guy in no time.

Stupid, and inaccurate stereotype.

My husband used to think that way, but since I've been working out for so long and he can see with his own eyes that I've gotten smaller (and leaner) NOT bigger (and bulkier) he has a lot more appreciation for all the hard work I put into my body. :)I think he's even beginning to find my little muscles attractive! Lol

And well he should...I damn well would =p.

:laugh: :blushing: Thanks! He does I think, just maybe a little bit intimidated by the idea of me having muscles. He is a skinny dude after all, and sometimes I think he's worried about me getting more muscular than him. He can still beat me in arm wrestling with no question, so I don't think that's going to happen any time soon... lol I still try though! XD

Just don't ever let yourself beat him, and you're golden =D.

Or start a lifting program together. He'll get stronger bigger way faster than you. Damn men.

Haha! Yeah, I'm seriously trying (in subtle ways) to get him to join me - or at least do some strength training! :)
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    lol but sometimes washboard abs do freak me out on a women, because i enjoy the soft subtle body of a women and a soft kissable midsection :)

Ha! Maybe this explains why my husband grabs the fat that's left on my abs all the time. I asked him if he's going to miss it... he said he loves it either way. Good thing, cause I plan to get rid of most of it!

I'm thankful to be with a man who loves my body the way I want it to be.
    Options

hey now... I was skinny fat long before I found the gym... thankfully when I did find it, I found weights, too! :drinker:
  • e_trexler
    e_trexler Posts: 32
    Options
    MFP needs an upvote button. I hope to develop SOME muscles. I don't like the flabby look, personally.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Um.. I see you just put up a picture. If that's you, and you think your legs are thick, I'd suggest you talk to a doctor or a therapist.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    People do not get that lifting heavy will not make them look big.... i have been lifting heavier for about 7 months gradually and my legs look WAY smaller... WAY.... :smile:

Plus the muscles are under there, its the percentage of body fat that determines how much you see of them.

I cant wait till mine actually develop a little more!
    IMGP2865-1.jpg
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    alot of guys just get intimidated when a women has more muscle, or is in better shape then they are. lol i say bring on the sexy in shape women. lol but sometimes washboard abs do freak me out on a women, because i enjoy the soft subtle body of a women and a soft kissable midsection :)

That's just a matter of a little bodyfat. NOT how much muscle is underneath. I prefer a slightly smoother midsection on a woman as well (where the play of the muscles just show when she's contracting her abs for...err, whatever reason), but it doesn't mean I wouldn't be attracted to a woman with a six pack. Miss Puffyhearts are definitely within the range of my preferance, as are most of these women. I definitely know what you mean by 'smoother' though.

I agree if you wanna be skinny fat go for it, i just still wont understand it lol

Me either.
  • brandi22479
    brandi22479 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    That's the best booty I've ever seen. If it was mine, i'd be naked 24/7 and hire someone to follow me around with a mirror! :love:
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    People do not get that lifting heavy will not make them look big.... i have been lifting heavier for about 7 months gradually and my legs look WAY smaller... WAY.... :smile:

Plus the muscles are under there, its the percentage of body fat that determines how much you see of them.

I cant wait till mine actually develop a little more!

IMGP2865.jpg
    Another prime example of a women with muscles being sexy!! :flowerforyou:
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    Nice thread, but needs pics

female-sprinter.jpg
    Damn I need to be running if my butt will look like that!! :bigsmile:

Ummmm... how many more miles do I need to run before MY butt looks like that? That is one perky bootay!