Smokers At the Gym

Options

Replies

• TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking a few years ago, but I loved to have a cigarette after a good training session!
    I don't really understand the feeling of smokers aren't people from nonsmokers. What if I see you eating whatever food group I've decided is garbage (currently soy). Or if you don't put your seat belt on when you get in the car. Or if you're with a guy with a temper. Or if after you get changed during lunch and you put on a pair of heels.

Life is full of risky behaviors! No risky behavior is going to negate the power of delicious exercise.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    The only time this bugs me is when I walk through the smoke on my way in, but that's partly my fault b/c I wasn't paying attention to where I was walking.

I do find it a little amusing to see people circling the parking lot at the gym to find the closest parking spot to the door. :bigsmile:
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I smoke, I go to the gym and I've lost a hell of a lot more weight than you.
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I just quit smoking 3 days ago. Who are any of you to judge what other people are doing? Mind your own business. :indifferent:

Thank you for that!! Just because someone smokes does not mean they dont want to lose weight. One thing with smokers is that they are afraid to quit because most people that do quit end up gaining average of 10 to 20 lbs. The reason for this is that smoking speeds up your metabolism and quitting smoking returns it to normal. Not all smokers belong sitting in a trailer park with a six pack of beer and a pack of smokes rolled up in their sleves or just hanging out on street corners with a cigarette hanging out of their mouth. We are functioning members of society and believe it or not have professional jobs, nice homes, etc. Obviously it is a bad habbit and I realize I need to quit sooner rather than later but giving up most soda, cutting way back on drinking, exercising, giving up most foods that I used to love....let me still have one vice...for now. In our state we already cannot smoke is most places so if I smoke outside and it bothers you then go the other way!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I used to look forward to my post workout or post run cigarette...114 days ago when I last smoked. :drinker: I still miss it sometimes!

I say better to be a smoker that's at least trying to get healthier than to not attempt it just because you smoke.
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I kept telling myself I would not respond to this, but I just can't. YOU are such a judgmental *kitten*.

I am one of those "Nasty" people you see smoking OUTSIDE of the Gym. I do it in my car, or stand down wind of the entrance, so as to not offend or disgust anyone. Heaven forbid a mouthful of smoke might blow past you in the wind and damage your untainted lungs.

And since you just can't understand my mentality - let me clue you in. I started smoking at a very young age. My friends were smokers. My dad is a smoker. My sibilings are smokers. Is it any real shock that I fell victim to this vice? As an adult that is focused on living a healthy life, I am aware of the disatvanges of smoking, and the health risks involved. WHICH is why I made an appointment to see my doctor about getting on something to help me quit. Patches? Gum? Pills? A hypnotherapist? I didn't know. MY DOCTOR told me point blank NOT to quit smoking right now. She knows that I am changing my lifestyle. I am eating better, I am working out daily. My Doctor advised me she didn't recommend doing both at the same time. She said if you fail at one, you'd probably give up on both. She suggested I wait until my new lifestyle was an absolute habit before I tried giving up smoking, and in fact, told me that she would NOT under any circumstance, prescribe any cessation aids to me until I got into a healthy weight range, Which for me, is about 60 pounds from now.

So before you go casting your self-rightous dirty looks at someone you know absolutely NOTHING about, except the fact that they are polluting YOUR clean air - why don't you keep your damn mouth shut, take a good look in the mirror, and focus on your own vices.

Oh, that's right. You don't have any. You're perfect. Here, have a flower. :flowerforyou:
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me wanna light up a cig!!! :laugh:
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I occasionally smoke a cigar while I run. Not much inhaling going on though.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    It's better than smoking and NOT going to the gym, don't you think?
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I kept telling myself I would not respond to this, but I just can't. YOU are such a judgmental *kitten*.

I am one of those "Nasty" people you see smoking OUTSIDE of the Gym. I do it in my car, or stand down wind of the entrance, so as to not offend or disgust anyone. Heaven forbid a mouthful of smoke might blow past you in the wind and damage your untainted lungs.

And since you just can't understand my mentality - let me clue you in. I started smoking at a very young age. My friends were smokers. My dad is a smoker. My sibilings are smokers. Is it any real shock that I fell victim to this vice? As an adult that is focused on living a healthy life, I am aware of the disatvanges of smoking, and the health risks involved. WHICH is why I made an appointment to see my doctor about getting on something to help me quit. Patches? Gum? Pills? A hypnotherapist? I didn't know. MY DOCTOR told me point blank NOT to quit smoking right now. She knows that I am changing my lifestyle. I am eating better, I am working out daily. My Doctor advised me she didn't recommend doing both at the same time. She said if you fail at one, you'd probably give up on both. She suggested I wait until my new lifestyle was an absolute habit before I tried giving up smoking, and in fact, told me that she would NOT under any circumstance, prescribe any cessation aids to me until I got into a healthy weight range, Which for me, is about 60 pounds from now.

So before you go casting your self-rightous dirty looks at someone you know absolutely NOTHING about, except the fact that they are polluting YOUR clean air - why don't you keep your damn mouth shut, take a good look in the mirror, and focus on your own vices.

Oh, that's right. You don't have any. You're perfect. Here, have a flower. :flowerforyou:

You cracked me up :))) one more flower from another smoker :flowerforyou: :grumble:
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

You cracked me up :))) one more flower from another smoker :flowerforyou: :grumble:

That "here have a flower" cracked me up too!!!!
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Ok guys, sorry --- I guess there goes my feeble attempts at making new MFP pals. LOL!

but, I was enlightened (pun intended) I appreciate all the responses. I see it strikes a very emotional chord in most people. And brings out the shining maturity in most ;)

happy wednesday guys! thanks for playing!
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I smoke, I go to the gym and I've lost a hell of a lot more weight than you.

I would like to point out ME TOOO!!!!! Maybe you should try watching yourself instead of us!!!!
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    yup, just as counterproductive as say someone who goes home and eats a snickers bar after going to the gym..........

STOP JUDGING

(Coming from an ex smoker)
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Ok guys, sorry --- I guess there goes my feeble attempts at making new MFP pals. LOL!

but, I was enlightened (pun intended) I appreciate all the responses. I see it strikes a very emotional chord in most people. And brings out the shining maturity in most ;)

*makes fun of others, gets *kitten* for it, complains about the lack of maturity of other people*

Noted.
  • Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I've made it my new goal to run a 5k while chain smoking the entire time. Thanks for the motivation!
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options

*makes fun of others, gets *kitten* for it, complains about the lack of maturity of other people*

Noted.

:flowerforyou:
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    It's not necessarily judgmental for a non-smoker to be offended or think it's nasty for a smoker to smoke near where they are. It is far more likely to get lung cancer from second hand smoke, so I can understand where the nonsmokers are coming from there. It is very disgusting when you don't smoke just to smell it, having it right in your face is even worse. I had a brief period of time where I was completely cigarette free, and let me tell you... during that time, I got to the point where just the smell of a cigarette made me ill. Of course, stress and what-not eventually led me back to it and I'm still struggling to quit now.

I think a lot of smokers are very defensive of their addiction, because it wasn't that long ago that it was very socially accepted almost everywhere. People used to be able to smoke in restaurants with their kids right next to them. Now, that's seen as a horrible thing (because it is a horrible thing, really.) But anyways... I don't think it's fair to judge all smokers equally, it is a hard addiction to fight and successfully quit. But, there is such thing as common courtesy too, smokers should stay a good distance away from nonsmokers I think. It's someone else's health you are putting at risk when you come within range of them with your cigarette smoke.
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options

Noted.

I'm glad someone else noticed this too...
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    deleted