He Called me Stupid..is it Emotional abuse?

Options

Replies

• HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Please read your original post again, back to yourself..... Now what advise would you give your best friend? Now take the advise you gave your friend. Would you want your best friend to be treated like that? I didn't think so..... Reach down deep, and get your supergirl powers, and change the situation, by removing yourself. You can do it. By doing so, you will make room for the one who treats you nicely, and helps to make you feel good about yourself. You took the first step to do so already by posting this... Trust your instincts.
  • katya73
    katya73 Posts: 464
    Options
    If you have to ask, you know it is.

^^ this

But if you're doubting it .. I'm here to tell ya it's how it starts.. Things get worse from this point never better ... Get out before he consumes your spirit !
  • groovyfirechick
    Options
    I was in a similar relationship with my ex husband ....we used to yell and scream at each other all the time. Then he hit me ONCE....that was enough...I kicked him out and divorced his stupid *kitten*. My current boyfriend is so loving and the complete opposite of my ex. Do yourself a favor....have respect for yourself and leave him. Now. Walk away and don't ever look back. You are too good to put up with that crap. Message me if you need to talk. *HUGS*
  • DogsK
    DogsK Posts: 94
    Options
    Think you may have got the message by now. Putting it simply, violence is not acceptable in any sort of relationship. No form of abuse is ever justified or warranted.
  • Arwhite1865
    Arwhite1865 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Calling you stupid isn't abuse. It might be obnoxious, but not abuse.
    Screwing with you in front of his kids is setting a really bad example for his daughters but not abuse.

That is too much of a blanket statement. Sure, being called "stupid" when you're in the middle of an argument every so often may not be abuse, but that isn't what the OP is describing here. She is describing being called "stupid" and being both verbally and physically degraded on a regular basis, which is abuse.
    The hitting depends on how hard.

Huh? I can't believe I just read this. Sorry, but this is exactly how some women end up dead. "He hit me, but not THAT hard." They keep using that and other excuses for the guy until they're dead or have been seriously harmed. Are people supposed to sit and evaluate how hard they've been hit on a scale of 1 to 10 before they determine whether or not being hit was acceptable? No. He had no business putting his hands on her in the first place. It's abuse plain and simple. It may not be the worst case of abuse you've ever heard of, but that does not mean that it isn't abuse. Additionally, situations like this escalate more often than not.
  • NELSAL
    NELSAL Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Calling you stupid isn't abuse. It might be obnoxious, but not abuse.
    Screwing with you in front of his kids is setting a really bad example for his daughters but not abuse.

That is too much of a blanket statement. Sure, being called "stupid" when you're in the middle of an argument every so often may not be abuse, but that isn't what the OP is describing here. She is describing being called "stupid" and being both verbally and physically degraded on a regular basis, which is abuse.
    The hitting depends on how hard.

Huh? I can't believe I just read this. Sorry, but this is exactly how some women end up dead. "He hit me, but not THAT hard." They keep using that and other excuses for the guy until they're dead or have been seriously harmed. Are people supposed to sit and evaluate how hard they've been hit on a scale of 1 to 10 before they determine whether or not being hit was acceptable? No. He had no business putting his hands on her in the first place. It's abuse plain and simple. It may not be the worst case of abuse you've ever heard of, but that does not mean that it isn't abuse. Additionally, situations like this escalate more often than not.
    I totally agree it is abuse! Get out of that situation before it gets worse! I have been there!
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Yes it's abuse. He "playfully hits" you because he's testing your reaction. Do you fight back, do you leave? No, you take it so now he knows that it's okay to hit harder and harder until one day you're walking around in dark glasses claiming you ran into a door handle.

He's degrading you and your life choices. He's making you feel bad about yourself. All else aside, that's enough for me to break up with a guy.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all of the replies in this thread, but yes, it's emotional abuse and you should leave him and don't consider going back.

I have some experience of emotional abusive behaviour (rather than out and out abuse) and sometimes I think you can work through it, but this guy is deliberately making you feel bad, psychologically and now starting with the physical abuse. Please get out of this relationship and look at this thread if you ever consider going back.

I hope I'm just adding to an overwhelming response telling you this.
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    O_______O Are you kidding me? Calling you 'stupid' is considered emotional abuse???? Wow...I feel like I suffer from serious abuse now...........lol.....................

Did you even bother to read the post properly? Do you understand psychological/emotional abuse in any way, shape or form?

Yes I did, and if you even bothered to read my profile before opening your rude mouth you would *maybe* grasp that I have tangled with abuse in the past. And that is only what I have chosen to reveal to people on this site. God damn.
  • kurenaikumo
    kurenaikumo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    He needs to go. Now.
  • foxy2311
    foxy2311 Posts: 179
    Options
    DUMB HIS *kitten* PRONTO!!!!!!! AND BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF HIM!
  • faiga
    faiga Posts: 47
    Options
    leave i know its hard but for your own sanity and safety go far away
  • AllDone2012
    Options
    It is emotional, physical and psychological abuse. Please speak to a professional.
  • Mattlarson29
    Options
    If you have to ask if it is abuse... it is abuse.

You deserve better, and if you let him treat you like this then this is how he will always treat you.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    If you a relationship makes you ask the question.... you are. You obviously feel emotionally abused.

He sounds like an *kitten*... who shouldn't have custody of his kids.
  • nurseygirl66
    nurseygirl66 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    He commented that what you said was stupid, not that you are stupid. Of course, you might be stupid. After all, you put up with his bull****. Instead of sitting around worrying about if he's emotionally abusing you (and being a victim), spend your time packing up your stuff or his.
  • hitmewitdarock
    Options
    you need real professional help not a forum thread... some serious self esteem issues going on...
  • JenRei87
    JenRei87 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think that trip to Canada is God sent, leave his *kitten* and don't look back, you're worth so much more than that! :)
  • slsmoot123
    slsmoot123 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Walk away, change your number and don't look back. Seriously! Like, NOW! Don't wait for the next level of abuse to start. Plus, if he blocked you from part of his FB there is something he doesn't want you to see. Why bother finding out what it is. Just go now and leave yourself open for the RIGHT guy!

I couldnt have said it better myself. LEAVE!!
  • lbigham1
    lbigham1 Posts: 132
    Options
    May i suggest this book? - "You Deserve Healthy Love, Sis!: The Seven Steps to Getting the Relationship You Want"

It will not only help you with your current situation, but it will also help you to realize some things about yourself so that you will not wind up in this situation again. - You DO deserve something MUCH better.

God bless and good luck!