Do you carry protection when running?

Options

Replies

• Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    If I lived in the US, or any of the rougher parts of the UK, I'd undoubtedly carry something that was purely defensive.
    Question: do you think that the entire US is dangerous?

I was thinking that too, lol! I live in the 3rd safest city in the nation so no, I bring no protection and walk by myself during the day/evenings (while pregnant) and don't even think twice about it. Maybe I should though, for that .000001% chance something might happen. I DO have an extremely sharp knife that is hidden inside of a lipstick container..
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I run with pepper spray. I live in a small town where we get lots of drifters so it freaks me out lol. Plus I like running really early cuz no one is around and it's still dark!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple scares with coyotes.. they normally sit still and stare at you... I think carrying some kind of pepper spray is a good idea.
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options
    I run with an Ruger LCR in a Remora IWB holster. The only place that my gun doesn't go with me is into buildings where I am not allowed by law to carry it (courthouse, sheriff's office, university property).

My kind of answer. I should get licensed to carry since we can. Something about a .45 makes people leave you alone.

In all seriousness, I do think it's a great idea to have something to protect. I run with my children at times and really should pick up some spray, etc for animals (human or not).
  • SingSmileLaugh
    Options
    Some hottie comes running up to me while I'm flailing around trying to 'run' I'd most definitely need protection, because he's in good shape so we know i'm going to bang him, but he's also trying to get with a girl who's flailing around like a nutso, giving herself black eyes with her big tits- so he's crazy, you dont' know what diseases he has... i vote YAY on condoms whilst running. That's what this was asking about, right?

Seriously,

I have bear spray I carry between my boobs while running.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    If I have my camel back and I'm going for a run and my husband isn't home I take an ID and a cell phone. I live in a very rural area and if I run by myself I stick to the "main" road rather than our back road where there's more chance for a bear/coyote/mountain lion encounter. Plus running with a gun attached to my pants doesn't seem like it'd be comfortable.
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Nothing. Don't need it. Canadian. Illegal to carry pepper spray/mace or sidearms.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    If I lived in the US, or any of the rougher parts of the UK, I'd undoubtedly carry something that was purely defensive.

It isn't?? :huh:
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    Nope. Live in one of the nicer neighbourhoods in the UK so I feel completely safe...and we have no terrifying wild animals. Don't see this guy eating me:

hedgehog.jpg

EEEEKKKKKKK! Cutest thing EVER!
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I usually care a flip out pocket knife that is about 4 1/2 inches and serrated. I like the knife and I would use it if someone approached me. I don't live in a bad area, but bad **** still happens from time to time and it won't be happening to me. My husband doesn't like me carrying a stabbing tool around so he just ordered me a stun gun. Haha. A small one. I will still carry around my pocket knife for emergencies though.... You never know when someone sets up a net trap!

I also practice defending myself with my husband. I can pretty much wiggle or prevent most holds. I also know a couple jui jitsu moves in case someone tries to rape me.

I dont *kitten* around!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suntetsu

I always have one with me, and I have a blunt one that can be carried on a plane. Haven't needed it yet though.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    They only thing i have to worry about in my neighborhood are the people driving way to fast and the little kids that like to throw rocks at you... (just makes you more faster...lol) I would really love to know where the parents are when these kids are playing outside by themselves. (probably around age 5 and 3) Some people are way to trusting when they live in a nice neighborhood.
  • blynn2708
    blynn2708 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm not allowed out after dark:bigsmile:

In all seriousness though, the last time I did walk later at night, almost dark, I was by myself, I did have a car following me. Every corner I went around, it was there, I kept having this feeling someone was watching me, I'd turn to look and there they were, two guys in a car, everywhere I went! My husband wasn't home from work yet, so when I got close to home I was going to stop at my neighbors house, but she wasn't home...I checked behind me, I didn't see them so I ran in the house and locked all doors!! Very scary! I have never walked in the dark again by myself!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

Due to the larger wild animals and to relaxed firearms laws, yes. I wouldn't feel safe, personally.
  • lublue
    lublue Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Question to those who carry defensive weapons when they're out - do you find it really hard to go out without it now?

We can't carry anything in the UK. I was just wondering.
  • kbtooke
    kbtooke Posts: 21
    Options
    Always! Belly band with my M&P9C for the win! Also carry an extremely sharp folding knife. I do have to say though I am happy to see so many women (and men) carrying. It is better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    They only thing i have to worry about in my neighborhood are the people driving way to fast and the little kids that like to throw rocks at you... (just makes you more faster...lol) I would really love to know where the parents are when these kids are playing outside by themselves. (probably around age 5 and 3) Some people are way to trusting when they live in a nice neighborhood.

Paintball gun > rock thrown from a 5 year old

Just saying =)
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    Tons of posts about carrying mace and 1 advocate of carrying a gun.

Why not try running in a safer area or indoors?? My treadmill is pretty safe, the only thing I have to worry about is if someone who hasn't showered in weeks and is wearing a cut off (exposing armpits) jumps on the machine beside me.

I think prevention is better than protection. After all mace is only effective if used properly (assuming you even have the opportunity to use it).

Maybe I'm too logical...
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I always carry protection...never know when I might get lucky.
  • Nicolearredondo17
    Nicolearredondo17 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I run on the street at 6 am so I dont think anyone would do much their are lots of cars that drive by. No hidden bushes so I feel ok however I do have a tazer but by the time I pull it out I would be a goner lol:laugh: