TIME magazine and breast feeding a 4 year old

Options

Replies

• JOEYJACKMOM
    JOEYJACKMOM Posts: 72
    Options
    n 2008 the American Academy of Family Physicians did its part to try to destigmatize nursing toddlers and older children, applauding the WHO guidelines even as it acknowledged that extended breast-feeding “is not the cultural norm in the United States and requires ongoing support and encouragement.” The group added:

It has been estimated that a natural weaning age for humans is between two and seven years. Family physicians should be knowledgeable regarding the ongoing benefits to the child of extended breastfeeding, including continued immune protection, better social adjustment and having a sustainable food source in times of emergency. The longer women breastfeed, the greater the decrease in their risk of breast cancer. There is no evidence that extended breastfeeding is harmful to mother or child.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2012/05/10/extended-breast-feeding-is-it-more-common-than-we-think/?iid=obinsite#ixzz1uZYSu2Wz
  • jillthemom
    jillthemom Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't find breastfeeding a 3 year old disgusting.....but you could tell the photographer wad trying to make it appear abnormal. I am sure that is not the way most nursing 3 year olds appear. Standing on a chair? Please.
  • steelersfamily6
    steelersfamily6 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    OMG OMG People what the hell has this world come too! I can not believe the things people are saying on here, its absolutely disgusting. Breastfeeding is the most natural thing to do and that is what our breasts are for, not to flaunt & not for mens pleasure, even though they are.

I would seriously love for everyone to take a look at the actual ingredients in formula. How can anyone even think about giving this to their children, its so disgusting. What really pisses me off even more is that there are women in this world that will never be able to breastfeed and its sad that people have become so judgmental. These women will never know the bond & the security that a woman feels while nursing their baby.

This cover clearly was made to create controversy & I am just appalled at how TIME magazine went about it. This is not what breastfeeding is about nor should it ever be!
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Quite honestly I think this whole "attachment parenting" thing is a crock of shi$$. !!

Letting kids sleep in your bed ( co-sleeping) and nursing till they are in school is ridiculous ! Bunch of tree hugging, granola eating nonsense...

If you don't teach your children how to be independent and confident and go to sleep without nursing or sleeping with their parents you are not doing them ANY favors !

The reason divorce rate is so high now is because of crap like "co- sleeping" husbands and wives don't honor each other any more, it's all about the kids... you picked your spouse first, start acting like a spouse.

Nothing makes me more annoyed than wives who once they have a baby they ignore their husband and their marraiges and everything revolves around the kids..

Life is about balance, getting all of your needs met by breastfeeding your kids or sleeping with them till they are 5 is not the way.....

I have 4 children, ages 8-21, all well adjusted kids who excel in school and college. They are love me very much, they were all breastfed till they had teeth and guess what..... I am still married, and they slept in their own beds and had bedtimes and routines and they were not the little hellions running around the stores or up all night in restaurants with adults having meals....

UGH
  • va_va_voom
    va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member
    Options

...Or maybe I'm destined to kill her.

Probably this.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    And with link the between breastfeeding and reduced rates of obestiy, the US in particular should be doing everything possible to encourage it
  • ashleymichaud
    ashleymichaud Posts: 119
    Options
    Quite honestly I think this whole "attachment parenting" thing is a crock of shi$$. !!

Letting kids sleep in your bed ( co-sleeping) and nursing till they are in school is ridiculous ! Bunch of tree hugging, granola eating nonsense...

If you don't teach your children how to be independent and confident and go to sleep without nursing or sleeping with their parents you are not doing them ANY favors !

The reason divorce rate is so high now is because of crap like "co- sleeping" husbands and wives don't honor each other any more, it's all about the kids... you picked your spouse first, start acting like a spouse.

Nothing makes me more annoyed than wives who once they have a baby they ignore their husband and their marraiges and everything revolves around the kids..

Life is about balance, getting all of your needs met by breastfeeding your kids or sleeping with them till they are 5 is not the way.....

I have 4 children, ages 8-21, all well adjusted kids who excel in school and college. They are love me very much, they were all breastfed till they had teeth and guess what..... I am still married, and they slept in their own beds and had bedtimes and routines and they were not the little hellions running around the stores or up all night in restaurants with adults having meals....

UGH

So co-sleeping for the first 16 months with my daughter makes me a tree hugging granola head who hate my husband. Okay, sure.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Does it?
  • tabinmaine
    Options
    I never said you "hated your husband" but ya.... pretty much..... a 16 month old belongs in her own little bed, tucked in, warm cozy and by 7pm.... so you and your husband can have a relationship outside of being parents....
  • jmehere
    jmehere Posts: 108 Member
    Options

UGH

Do you have any statistical data showing the connection between attachment parenting and divorce? I've been married for 10 years, no end in sight. You could probably describe the way we do it as attachment parenting. We've found other places to "honor" each other, and did so just last night. I'm pretty sure you would not appreciate the blanket statements I have in my head for you right now and I don't appreciate yours.
  • tabinmaine
    Options
    Do not need any "statistical data" to back up my opinion.... it's plain and obvious to see.... ask any husband (one with a spine) about how much he enjoys co-sleeping/parenting... lol
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't imagine 10 years from now, any of todays 3 yr olds will be looking at old copies of Time and recognizing their classmate.

Maybe if this kid grows up to be a Presidential candidate or celebrity somebody might dig this up but in 30-40 years will anyone really care?
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all 1,000 pages of replies but my thoughts on that picture:

Why YES! Of course! This is the way to do it ladies, mom's. Put the kid on a stool, wear a shirt like that and stand there with your hand on your hip until he's full!!
    Totally normal and the way I would do it!

Gawd. How silly can you possibly get? I don't really care if a mother wants to breast feed her kid until he's 13, but when I watched her being interviewed on TV this morning and she said she was "surprised" by how much attention this was getting, well: WHAT DID YOU EXPECT?? Of course people are going to 'talk'. It's a weird picture!
    Not the fact that she's breast feeding, just how she's doing it.
  • ashleymichaud
    ashleymichaud Posts: 119
    Options
    I never said you "hated your husband" but ya.... pretty much..... a 16 month old belongs in her own little bed, tucked in, warm cozy and by 7pm.... so you and your husband can have a relationship outside of being parents....

She is now, but co-sleeping was a mutual decision made by us, meaning my husband and myself. We never had a problem being husband and wife either. I just hate sweeping generalizations. Not everyone is the same.

Oh, and my husband has plenty of "spine" as you put it.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Do not need any "statistical data" to back up my opinion.... it's plain and obvious to see.... ask any husband (one with a spine) about how much he enjoys co-sleeping/parenting... lol

Blanket, ignorant statements are FUN!
  • ambitious01
    ambitious01 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'll add it to the list of "things that don't affect my life even a little."
    ditto- to each his own.
  • rsmblue
    rsmblue Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Personally, I was more offended with the title than the pic, tho the pic was pretty disturbing... (I am not against BF, but have a difference of opinion when the infant/toddler turns becomes a child)
  • BeckyProctor
    BeckyProctor Posts: 56 Member
    Options

I am ALL for breastfeeding our babies whenever and wherever they are hungry. BUT. What happens when the child plastered on the front of this magazine is in middle school? Kids are MEAN at that age, and with the internet out there, all it takes is one person finding that picture and making the kid's life hell. I do not find anything offensive about breastfeeding. I find it offensive that something private and personal is being exploited to sell magazines.

I agree completely!
  • jackie2866
    jackie2866 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm against Time Magazine for pitting mothers against each other. And doing it on Mother's Day.
    Seriously!
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with the age of the child. I breastfed all 6 of my kids and did one son until he was almost 3. BUT, it was always around nap time or bed time and he was not standing on a stinking chair sucking my boob.

This is a very poor picture. It would be different if she was snuggled in bed with him or sitting on the sofa cuddled with him. Breast feeding is a bonding time...not "snack time" from playing...and that is how that picture looks...like he was outside playing and pulled the chair up to her boobs.

So, nursing a 3 year old child is not disgusting, it was how the picture was done...very tacky!