Survey time: Should a guy pay on a first date?

Options

Replies

• mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Yes, he asked me out

Well in that case she should have paid and picked up the tip... if you went out for drinks after it would have been good for you to pick up a round. But the night was by no means your responsibility financially… although I do admit if a woman offers to drop the tip if I am paying then I am impressed even if I don’t let her.
  • brittlynn07
    brittlynn07 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I think he should pay! Of course, I'm spoiled cause I have a guy friend that pays for my stuff every time we hang out and that's not even a date!
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    If he asked you out...he pays - if you asked him out...you should be prepared to pay. A true gentlemen will pay regardless.

This
  • ppetl
    ppetl Posts: 3
    Options
    if he asked you out and it was your first date...YES he should pay
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I get asked on a lot of dates and I only go on the ones with the guys that I really like. To me it honestly just seem like its a numbers game to guys. If they ask out a bunch of girls eventually one will say yes.

Of course it is a numbers game.

What else do you expect them to do? Sit at home, crying, hoping that women will ask him out?

More women should ask men out. I actually invited my bf out for the first time (it was a group happy hour), and he beat me to the first-date asking out--kinda caught me off guard! I was going to ask him to go to dinner with me and before I could even get the sentence out he asked me out first. I just think if you're interested, do something about it.

AGREED :)

Rightttt but we all know most guys dont want the girl who has to ask for dates. Unless you were friends prior, any girl asking total strangers out on dates looks totally desperate. Sorry to break it to everyone. But guys be honest here, would you be going after the woman that no one else even wants to ask out?

Are you kidding me? I've asked guys out plenty of times and never been turned down. Did it all the time in college, and not just to guys I already knew. I think men find it attractive when a woman goes after what she wants. Has nothing to do with being desperate, if men can play the field and go on dates with several different women before deciding to get serious with one, why can't women do the same? I seriously lived like a man in college...
  • vwrynn
    vwrynn Posts: 6
    Options
    Consider it a $50 investment in not making serious mistake later. You gained valuable information that you would not have had he paid for everything. Cut your losses now and move on.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I think he should pay! Of course, I'm spoiled cause I have a guy friend that pays for my stuff every time we hang out and that's not even a date!

FRIENDZONED
  • MsSickOfBeingFluffy
    MsSickOfBeingFluffy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    ONLY IF HE WANTS A SECOND ONE!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Rightttt but we all know most guys dont want the girl who has to ask for dates. Unless you were friends prior, any girl asking total strangers out on dates looks totally desperate. Sorry to break it to everyone. But guys be honest here, would you be going after the woman that no one else even wants to ask out?

Are you kidding me? I've asked guys out plenty of times and never been turned down. Did it all the time in college, and not just to guys I already knew. I think men find it attractive when a woman goes after what she wants. Has nothing to do with being desperate, if men can play the field and go on dates with several different women before deciding to get serious with one, why can't women do the same? I seriously lived like a man in college...
    if you enjoy pretending to be a man then more power to you. Dont complain when men dont respect and treat you like a lady though.

And duh of course they're not gonna turn you down. They probably think its a free ticket to your drawers lol.

Another thing I wanna add is a man paying applies to potential relationshio dates. If you want a booty call, then it doesnt even matter
  • Leesseebee
    Leesseebee Posts: 216
    Options
    I always offer to pay-but deep down I feel he should-especially on a first date :)
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

you're mean haha
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

FRIENDZONED

or a sugar daddy
  • Hotpinkmama
    Hotpinkmama Posts: 34
    Options
    As a rule of thumb I think guys should pay on a date all of the time. But in today's society I know some things have changed, so I would say if he asked you out, he should most definitely pay but if you asked him out , he might expect you to pay. The only time I think you should go dutch is if it is discussed prior to the date. Only after you are in an actual relationship, do I personally, ever really think it is okay for the girl to pay though. Whatever happened to chivalry? Being wooed ? You are worth it !
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    If he asked you out...he pays - if you asked him out...you should be prepared to pay. A true gentlemen will pay regardless.

This
    Second this. Mine paid on our first date but I offered to pick up a 6-pack on the way home. We live together now and he pays most of the time when we go out. Other things we trade on: groceries, house things we need from store, etc...
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Yes, he should. I go prepared with cash anyway (because I don't know him & don't know what kind of man he is), but I never bring out my wallet unless absolutely necessary (like secretly tipping a waitress after a bad date).
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I get asked on a lot of dates and I only go on the ones with the guys that I really like. To me it honestly just seem like its a numbers game to guys. If they ask out a bunch of girls eventually one will say yes.

Of course it is a numbers game.

What else do you expect them to do? Sit at home, crying, hoping that women will ask him out?

More women should ask men out. I actually invited my bf out for the first time (it was a group happy hour), and he beat me to the first-date asking out--kinda caught me off guard! I was going to ask him to go to dinner with me and before I could even get the sentence out he asked me out first. I just think if you're interested, do something about it.

AGREED :)

Honestly? My ex asked me out and we dated for 2 years. And believe me, she didn't ask because she couldn't get a date, she asked because she wanted to date me. Big difference.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Honestly? My ex asked me out and we dated for 2 years. And believe me, she didn't ask because she couldn't get a date, she asked because she wanted to date me. Big difference.

Why didnt you ask her though?
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.... I will never go on a date expecting the guy to pay. If he offers or persists I will allow it, but most of the time I offer to pay for my portion. If he pays for dinner then I will treat him to something else...like a beer at the bar or ice cream. Or maybe I will pay for the 2nd date.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I know equal right and all that but if I guy does not pay for me on the first date I just assume he is a tight a*rse and he not getting a second date.

Your instincts are correct! In a way, it's a test to make sure they really care about you. A man should want to provide for his woman, whether she needs it or not. If a man expects me to take care of myself, how can I trust him to look after me if the need should arise?

I've gone out with guys I wasn't really interested in dating because we were doing something fun that I wanted to do. In that case, I insisted on paying my share because I wanted to be sure they don't think I owed them something. If I was truly interested in a man, I allowed him to be a gentleman and pick up the tab like a man.

It's good for a man's self-esteem to be able to provide for a woman. It's good for a woman's self-esteem to know a man wants to take care of her.

One caveat: It occurs to me that women sometimes ask men out. In this case, the woman should pay, unless the man insists on paying. If you care about him, and he insists on paying, it's good to give in.

At 60, I'm "The Voice of Experience." :smile:
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    The guy should always pay ! Chivalry isnt dead yet!

This