Ask me anything about fat/weight loss....

Options

Replies

• TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Hello... I'm turning 44 tomorrow and been changing my lifestyle about 2 months ago. I've lost 7lbs in that amount of time. It feels RIDICULOUSLY slow. A lot of my MFP friends told me to up my calorie intake, so I did. I've gotten way too many mixed signals and adive on here. I'm 5'9", 260 lbs. Ive been doing about 30-45 minutes of cardio about 5 times a week. Just started using weights about 2 weeks ago (Not quite sure what Im doing yet) Mon-Wed-Fri. I currently have my calorie intake at 1750 (I had it at 1350 before)

I like the 1750 way better for a starting point. Readjust down as you start plateauing. And PLEASE please realize that to do this the healthy way, it IS going to take a HELLUVA lot of time, hard work, and dedication. Stop being impatient. No quick and easy fixes. I had a client do gastric just to balloon right back up and even heavier. Embrace the hard work ahead, embrace the long journey ahead.
  • tayteetots
    tayteetots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bump to follow.
  • shan_0517
    shan_0517 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hello... I'm turning 44 tomorrow and been changing my lifestyle about 2 months ago. I've lost 7lbs in that amount of time. It feels RIDICULOUSLY slow. A lot of my MFP friends told me to up my calorie intake, so I did. I've gotten way too many mixed signals and adive on here. I'm 5'9", 260 lbs. Ive been doing about 30-45 minutes of cardio about 5 times a week. Just started using weights about 2 weeks ago (Not quite sure what Im doing yet) Mon-Wed-Fri. I currently have my calorie intake at 1750 (I had it at 1350 before)

I like the 1750 way better for a starting point. Readjust down as you start plateauing. And PLEASE please realize that to do this the healthy way, it IS going to take a HELLUVA lot of time, hard work, and dedication. Stop being impatient. No quick and easy fixes. I had a client do gastric just to balloon right back up and even heavier. Embrace the hard work ahead, embrace the long journey ahead.

Thanks!! Do you think I should be adding more exercise right now?
  • glennowill
    glennowill Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    And just a little about myself. I used to weight 295, am now 214. My lowest was 194, but I gained some back. I'm looking to get lean and strong. I'm 6'3, 26, run 3 days a week (3-4 miles) but prefer distance. Sidelined because of an IT band injury. Just starting to incorporate lifting.

Have trouble with motivation. When my buds want to go out for beer and food all the time, I tend to slip up. How do you stay motivated under those situations? Sometimes I'm good, sometimes I slip majorly, and it becomes a landslide.

Watching movies like Gladiator, 300, Immortals, Troy, and the Marvel stuff helps out a lot too. #MOTIVATE ;)

Ahh yes. I'm going for that Cap'n America look. Thanks again for all the good stuff. Had a 2 lb loss this week after going quite a bit over my cals this weekend, so just trying to figure out what my body needs for consistent losses.
  • redcut
    redcut Posts: 176
    Options
    Thanks for posting this thread my question is this I have been using the wii active for about 3 weeks now it includes a lot of lunges both side and front and it also has a resistance band the problem I have for the past couple of days I have had pain in my left ankle especially when doing the side lunge and now today it has pain when I walk would a ankle brace help so I do not get the pain in that ankle. Oh i should add it has me running also something I have never done. just do not know if it is the ankle muscle getting stronger or if I pulled something.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Thanks for posting this thread my question is this I have been using the wii active for about 3 weeks now it includes a lot of lunges both side and front and it also has a resistance band the problem I have for the past couple of days I have had pain in my left ankle especially when doing the side lunge and now today it has pain when I walk would a ankle brace help so I do not get the pain in that ankle. Oh i should add it has me running also something I have never done. just do not know if ir=t the anle muscle getting stronger or if I pulled something.

Sounds like a stress injury. Might wanna take it easy a few days and just focus more on diet.
  • redcut
    redcut Posts: 176
    Options
    Thanks I will do that
  • abadmommy
    abadmommy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • foster59803
    foster59803 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the information... I'm not quite done reading everything yet, so I apologize if this has been asked.

What do you think about Metabolism testing? I had mine tested at my gym and it said my RMR was 1106. That number is pretty frustrating if it is accurate. I have a tendency to believe it however, because I typically work out 4-5 days a week and eat around 1500 calories a day... this seems to be maintenance for me, not weight loss. Just wondering what your take is on the accuracy and if it is in fact accurate, do you think you can improve your metabolism? I asked my trainer and he told me if I packed on an additional 10 lbs of muscle I may be able to increase my metabolism, but basically it is genetic... Thanks!
  • debbiemallen
    Options
    Please HELP!!! I am 5' 2" tall weighing in at 134lbs, looking to lose another 7lbs. I am at a stand still. I have been lifting weights 2-3 times per week and doing 30 minutes on the elliptical (drenched) as well for the last 3 months. Also 3 days a week doing the C25K program now at week 8 day 2. Can't lose a stinkin pound. I am eating between 1200- 1300 calories per day. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG????
    Now I have to lay off the running because my achilles tendon is swollen and I need to get back running. How can I fix my achilles tendon??? CAN YOU HELP ME???
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the information... I'm not quite done reading everything yet, so I apologize if this has been asked.

What do you think about Metabolism testing? I had mine tested at my gym and it said my RMR was 1106. That number is pretty frustrating if it is accurate. I have a tendency to believe it however, because I typically work out 4-5 days a week and eat around 1500 calories a day... this seems to be maintenance for me, not weight loss. Just wondering what your take is on the accuracy and if it is in fact accurate, do you think you can improve your metabolism? I asked my trainer and he told me if I packed on an additional 10 lbs of muscle I may be able to increase my metabolism, but basically it is genetic... Thanks!

Usually not very accurate in most gym environments. You'll get a decent idea of where you're at though. Ten more pounds of muscle would increase your metabolism(all things equal). And yes, there is a lot of genetics behind metabolism. Ectos vs endos for example.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Please HELP!!! I am 5' 2" tall weighing in at 134lbs, looking to lose another 7lbs. I am at a stand still. I have been lifting weights 2-3 times per week and doing 30 minutes on the elliptical (drenched) as well for the last 3 months. Also 3 days a week doing the C25K program now at week 8 day 2. Can't lose a stinkin pound. I am eating between 1200- 1300 calories per day. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG????
    Now I have to lay off the running because my achilles tendon is swollen and I need to get back running. How can I fix my achilles tendon??? CAN YOU HELP ME???

Probably not counting accurately enough. Stress plays a big factor too. Also keep in mind the lower you go, the harder it is to get leaner still. Stay consistent and don't do ANYthing drastic. You need to be patient and relax. Let your body heal, and be kind to it.
  • Brianabomb
    Brianabomb Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Bump to read everything later and see if there is an answer to my question already!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    OP, my turn for questions? :) Thanks in advance.

I was eating 1200 calories for a few monthes last year and lost first 10 pounds. Then I added long distance walking like 5 miles a day to the routine eating about the same maybe a couple of hundreds more then my loss stalled. Throughout the year, my weight silently creeped back up, like a pound per month although I am still eating the same way (yes I do log them). My daily intake average about 1400 calories, high in protein, low in carb and sugar, only chicken, fish and turkey meats.

A couple of monthes ago, I got so frustrated so I decided to add WT to my routine. I use 2* 5 pound dumb bells, and my routine is 25 minutes each time with 12 rep of each move. Then I "gained" back all the 10 pounds I lost by dieting alone. My waist only looks smaller in the mirror but it actually measures more so was my butt. All my pants that used to fit loose now very tight. Then I researched and understood that I might have to increase cardio. So a month ago I added a hour of running to each day, 4-5 miles speed. I also bumped up my intake to maintenance level 1600 calories per MFP, without actually tracking the exercise which I find very inaccurate in their database. My diet is still majorly protein and complex carb such as brown rice and whole wheat bread. I don't even cook with any type of oil...

And this moring, my weight broke the record high in my whole life...What did I do wrong? This is really really discouraging...Please help.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    While waiting I read through some of the replies...it sounds like OP has suggested to most people to lower the calorie intake while keeping the exercise...My problem is when eating 1200, I didn't have the energy/strengh to exercise; when eating 1400 calories I was not losing, and now eating 1600, I am gaining...Guess I just need to go back to 1200 without exercise at all?
  • moe5474
    moe5474 Posts: 162
    Options
    While waiting I read through some of the replies...it sounds like OP has suggested to most people to lower the calorie intake while keeping the exercise...My problem is when eating 1200, I didn't have the energy/strengh to exercise; when eating 1400 calories I was not losing, and now eating 1600, I am gaining...Guess I just need to go back to 1200 without exercise at all?

Same issue here. Was losing just fine with 1200 and no exercise. Added in exercise and I now gain no matter my calories or duration of cardio.

I've been at it for a while and now I'm bigger :(
  • caseydimples
    caseydimples Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Quick question - what do you think my daily protein intake should be around? I've heard you tell people to make sure they are hitting their protein numbers. I'm 5'3, 156 lb female and run about 20 miles a week however I'm adding milage weekly. I'm currently not weight training since I'm upping my running so much - I've got goals for some races this summer :) Right now I'm trying out 1500 calories a day. Someone told me I shoot for around 100 grams protein a day. Does that sound right??
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options

Of course your energy levels are going down! YOu're on a sub-calorie diet! My energy and strength go down too when I am cutting, it's only natural. They'll go right back up though when you stop your cut and go back to a maintenance.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    OP, my turn for questions? :) Thanks in advance.

I was eating 1200 calories for a few monthes last year and lost first 10 pounds. Then I added long distance walking like 5 miles a day to the routine eating about the same maybe a couple of hundreds more then my loss stalled. Throughout the year, my weight silently creeped back up, like a pound per month although I am still eating the same way (yes I do log them). My daily intake average about 1400 calories, high in protein, low in carb and sugar, only chicken, fish and turkey meats.

A couple of monthes ago, I got so frustrated so I decided to add WT to my routine. I use 2* 5 pound dumb bells, and my routine is 25 minutes each time with 12 rep of each move. Then I "gained" back all the 10 pounds I lost by dieting alone. My waist only looks smaller in the mirror but it actually measures more so was my butt. All my pants that used to fit loose now very tight. Then I researched and understood that I might have to increase cardio. So a month ago I added a hour of running to each day, 4-5 miles speed. I also bumped up my intake to maintenance level 1600 calories per MFP, without actually tracking the exercise which I find very inaccurate in their database. My diet is still majorly protein and complex carb such as brown rice and whole wheat bread. I don't even cook with any type of oil...

And this moring, my weight broke the record high in my whole life...What did I do wrong? This is really really discouraging...Please help.

You hit it on the head. You started eating more than you were expending through activity. I've said this a million times in here. As you diet down you are going to have to readjust calories down as you lose weight! A 150 pound person does NOT need as many calories to maintain them as a 170 pound person(all things equal).
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Quick question - what do you think my daily protein intake should be around? I've heard you tell people to make sure they are hitting their protein numbers. I'm 5'3, 156 lb female and run about 20 miles a week however I'm adding milage weekly. I'm currently not weight training since I'm upping my running so much - I've got goals for some races this summer :) Right now I'm trying out 1500 calories a day. Someone told me I shoot for around 100 grams protein a day. Does that sound right??

Most fit mags will say things outrageous like 1.5 to even 2.0 grams per pound of body weight! This just isn't necessary. My intake myself(and the reco I give 90% of my clients) is 1.0 gram per pound of lean body mass. So with someone weighing 180 pounds and roughly 10% body fat, we would subract 18 pounds from their 180 to arrive at 162 grams of protein per day. Might seem like a lot still, but 4oz of chicken breast has roughly 25 grams.