How did y'all gain your weight?

Options

Replies

• Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    not sure. A combination of lots of things. College, Birth control pills, a relationship with a fast food addict, depression. all of which contributed to poor eating habits, though I was consistantly working out through the weight gain process.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I was very healthy when I went into university and lived in the dorms, but we weren't allowed to cook our own food. We had to eat out of the cafeteria, and if I wanted to actually EAT instead of having plain salads 24/7, I had to eat the greasy, deep fried crap. Also, the stress of the university environment and family issues caused me to gain the rest of it.

I gained 50lbs in two years.
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    Eating.

This. A lot. and not exercising enough.

DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bawalker11
    bawalker11 Posts: 78
    Options
    I lost a bunch of weight before my wedding and worked really hard then as a reward after the wedding I let myself have whatever I wanted for a week and just never got back to it, about 20 lbs later I really regret not sticking to it so it is time for a change!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I like food a lot. I have a tendency to want to eat too much of it.
  • sarahsaur
    sarahsaur Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Emotional eating, depression and a love of cheeseburgers and potato chips. I've gained about 70 lbs in four years. Ridiculous. :( It's coming off though!
  • nray3119
    nray3119 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bad marriage and I just ate away my feelings. Oh and 2 kids with me thinking because I was preg I could eat whatever I wanted.
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional eater. Whenever my family would talk about my weight to me, whether to say I needed to lose, or to take note that I did lose some weight, it would derail me and I would turn to food for comfort. My family didn't teach me good eating habits, and all of them are overweight too. I grew up eating fish sticks, onion rings, chicken tenders, mac & cheese, toasted cheese, pizza, stromboli, non-diet soda, iced tea with tons of sugar in it, kool-aid with tons of sugar in it, cake piled high with frosting, pretty much anything bad for you, and not much good for you. My mom still to this day doesn't understand why I don't like many veggies. She just doesn't get it. She is a much better eater than my father, but she still is a horrible eater. My grandparents eat horribly (they eat a lot of hot dogs and always have to have bacon with breakfast). My dad is a truck driver and lives basically off fried food out on the road, or cupcakes from the truck stops. I really can't believe he doesn't weigh more than he does. He is really bad with making you feel guilty if you don't go back for seconds.

I started gaining in early elementary school. First noticed it significantly in 4th grade. but it was starting in 2nd grade.

I also gained because I just don't seem to know how to stop myself from eating more even when not hungry. I eat when I'm bored, and my cravings are crazy. I will crave something for over a month if I don't get it.
  • tgianino
    tgianino Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Eating!
  • redcut
    redcut Posts: 176
    Options
    The depo shot before having my daughter i weighed 130 after her i weighed 125 then I went on depo so there would be no mre kids but the weight just flew on. Now no more depo so I know the weight will come off with working out and determination and yea diet too.
  • zclark13
    zclark13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, well, eating obviously, and not moving as much as I should. Lets see how it adds up:
    10 lbs for getting married
    10 lbs for 20s
    10 lbs for child 1
    10 lbs for child 2
    10 lbs for 30s
    10 lbs for child 3
    10 lbs for 40s
    10 lbs for having a desk job
    10 lbs for getting laid off
    Yep, that equals the 90 pounds I've gained since I got married 30 years ago! Not truly going to try for my wedding weight since I've had 3 children and am now 30 years older, but....I'm going to try and get closer! I'm almost a third of the way there!
  • beckyluvsgeckos
    Options
    I was always thin when I was younger. I might have weighed 105 when I graduated from high school. I NEVER had to watch what I ate and did no type of exercise (except for dancing).

I did put on some weight after I had my children (3 of them)...but was still ok with my wieght...THEN 12 years ago I quit smoking. I would eat every time I wanted a cigg....so, in return I gained a lot of weight (my highest non-pregnant weight was 205).

I tried different diets and they did work...but then when I stopped...I would gain the weight back.

I am serious this time about getting control of my life. I have a good friend that has lost 52.2 lbs and she is an inspiration to me. I am determined to get to my goal weight by December 2012.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Worked an intensely physical job for years carrying around 100-pound rolls of carpet. Then I got promoted to a desk job. Maintained the same diet. Oops.
  • Susiemet
    Susiemet Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Birth control. If I had to do it all over again, would never go on depo provera or the patch EVER!

Me too!! On top of that lack of exercise and bad eating.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Aliens did it...they wanted to use me as an example.

That, or, I just had horrible eating habits and I ate more than I burned....
  • steph124ny
    steph124ny Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    4 kids, bad eating habits, no exercise, and Facebook.....

I fully accept that it was my own lazy self that gained the weight and it will be my own hard work that drops it.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Using eating to deal with my childhood abuse-I'm an emotional eater and it hasn't done me much good.
  • sarahsxt
    sarahsxt Posts: 66
    Options
    Eating.

Lots and lots of chips, almond butter, and chocolate.
  • zandrellia
    zandrellia Posts: 26
    Options
    I was always heavy. I was 10lbs at birth!

I remember buying pants in the misses section when I was only 12 years old.

As a young kid I wanted to be athletic. I had dreams of being a gymnast and a ballet dancer, but was basically told by my family that those dreams weren't good enough and that I should aim for "something more" - essentially they pushed me into intellectual pursuits early on. Being heavily myopic and having flat feet did not help this so by the time I was in grade school I was already overweight and the P.E. instructors basically passed me over. I still recall being only six or seven years old and having the teacher hold me up while I held onto the monkey bars as he crossed from one end to the other and I essentially did nothing more than grasp them. This was all that was expected of me. We ate good foods, we even had a garden, so I learned to love the foods that were best for me - like vegetables - but my own mother failed at portion control and I spent a lot of time with my grandparents who grew up in very lean times during the latter part of the Great Depression. I remember many times being given a huge plate with more food than I should even eat now as an adult, but getting that as a child and being told I had to "eat everything on my plate before I could get a slice of cake" - that cake being a home-made chocolate cake made with nearly three sticks of butter and a candy type frosting. It was also huge. In the same breath my family would scold me for being overweight and tell me I need to lose weight. I was called names and put down early on by my own loved ones who weren't helping me out of the process. By the time I was in my teens my father brought me a brochure for essentially a fat camp. I was so insulted and hurt that I basically gave up. Nothing I'd ever do would be good enough, so why bother?

So I just kept gaining. I started to form complexes about food, though. I got to the point where I felt so guilty for eating, as it was always implied that eating was what led to my weight gain, and eventually stopped having breakfast or lunch - I would only eat once a day and often would feel famished by that point so I would consume too many calories at one time on several occasions. Most days I would eat less than 900 calories. I even considered binging and purging for a while, but decided it wasn't worth the risks. (I'm so glad I did.)

It took a doctor suggesting I get weight loss surgery to wake me up to the possibility that I could be healthy and, dare I think it, skinny! Now I'm actually excited to learn new things and maybe, just maybe, someday be able to do the things that my childhood self dreamed of.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    My relationship this is the longest one I've been in (5 years), and I began to eat like him and tipped the scales at 211lbs after the first year I couldnt believe it I thought I was fine because he adored me and I could still fit in all my clothes. I lost about 40lbs after that then last year I got prego so thats what led me back to my SW: 206 but now I'm at 197 and working on getting to a happier weight.