Being bashed on for being 23 and pregnant!! :(

Options
1202122232426»

Replies

• mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on the situation and financial abilities of those involved.
  • tilfordj
    tilfordj Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just saw this...not sure what anyone before me has said...But I will tell you, I had my first child at 19, my second at 22, then the third at 25....(Yes, same daddy!) They are all very well rounded, college graduated, mature adults in their 20's. I am almost 46 and having the time of my life.......

The younger you are when you have your children, the better.....Congrats to your family and good luck in all you do!
  • zandrellia
    zandrellia Posts: 26
    Options
    Keep your head on.

I was a single mother at 20 years old and had no job at the time, either. I had just finished up a vocational training program when I found out I was pregnant. My mother didn't approve, either, and expected me to give up my baby. One thing I had to accept was that this was my decision and only I would have to live with it, not my mother. Right now, your family is likely thinking they have your best interests at heart, but don't realize that they are really only thinking about their viewpoint. If you want to keep your baby - keep your baby and don't back down on that decision. If your family loves you and respects you, they'll come to accept your decision. Until that time, don't stress over their opinions.

Other advice:

1) Do NOT quit school! No matter what! Stay in school! You WILL regret giving up this opportunity due to pregnancy later - having this education can only help you be a better mother in the long run. Plus, you'll have to learn now how to balance your life with a child. You can't give up things every time just because you have a child, you've got to learn how to work with that responsibility.

2) Do NOT get married just because you're having a baby. Get married because you love each other, support each other, and want to spend the rest of your lives together. A lot of people make the mistake of "doing the responsible thing" and marrying just because of a baby - which is really unfair to all parties involved. You can be great parents without being married!

3) If you can, find a way to work together with the father of your baby in making this work out for the best. Go put some supplies on layaway (Kmart still has one!) - by some supplies I mean the essentials: a car seat, a crib, a crib mattress, four crib sheets, six burp cloths, a package of size one diapers, a set of bottles, one can of formula (You may want to breast feed, but sometimes it doesn't work out. Having an emergency can for your peace of mind can only help you relax and get into the process better.), and four or five outfits for the baby size 1 month and up. Commit to making small payments to the layaway every paycheck of about $30 AND buy a new package of diapers of the next size up - this will pay off your layaway in good time and also get you both used to about how much you'll be paying each pay period for your new baby. (It'll come to about $50 or more, depending on what you get.)

4) Plan ahead! Get your car seat installed BEFORE the baby is even due - a month out is fine. You can go to the fire station and they will help you to assure that your car seat is secure and that you know how to put it in. Practice putting your car seat in! Prepare a baby bag with basic supplies for you and the baby and put it in the car so that when you go to the hospital to have the baby it is already there. (You'll want one set of pajamas, one set of clothes for you and baby, a couple burp cloths, and a book or two to entertain yourself as well as basic toiletries like a toothbrush and hair brush. If you have long hair you'll want at least one hair tie. Most of your other needs the hospital will meet.) Consider everything! If you have a boy will you want them circumcised? How does daddy feel about it? Can you afford to pay for the procedure? (Some insurances do not cover it now!) Do you want to breast feed? If so, find a support group. Lactation consultants can be your best friend! Do you want to take classes for labor and delivery procedures? Do you need additional support, since your mother is not on board with this yet? Perhaps you could use a doula. Do you want to have pain medication? What if you have complications? Who do you want to be responsible for your baby in that situation? Write all these things out and make a set plan with the father. Knowing in advance how you feel will make the process easier and help you feel in control.

5) Stay healthy! A happy mother makes for a happy baby! Eat well, exercise, practice yoga, and try to stay as stress free as possible.

I was a single mother for nearly 5 years and I can tell you it wasn't always easy, but it was always worth it! If you want more tips or just want to talk feel free to add me!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I was married at 20; at age 23 we had already been through fertility testing and were waiting to adopt. DS was born when I was 26, his bmom was 24, and she already had another. Some people are ready at 20 or younger, some people aren't ready until they're 40. Age does not equal maturity or ability. Only you can evaluate whether you want to raise this baby or choose an alternative like adoption. Hang in there. Breathe and evaluate for yourself.