for all the hopefull "wanna be" runners out there - trying t

Options

Replies

• Philde04
    Options
    I would love to do this too...I've had a few "starts and stops" to try and get better at running. I have a question that is something that has been somewhat of a deterrent for me:

When you are at the beginning of a program and have all the run/walk intervals, how to do you keep track? I want to run outside and not on a treadmill. It seems cumbersome to be looking at a watch every 60 seconds, any suggestions out there?

Much appreciated!

Or if you are like me and don't have an ipod (i use my phone as my mp3 and cannot download podcasts to it). I also didn't have a watch I could use so I had to improvise. I start a song and use the timer for the song and then when it's time to do the next part, I change the song and use the timer on that song and just keep doing that the whole time and it seems to work well for me. I usually do the treadmill but have been trying to get outside one day a week.
  • darman
    darman Posts: 269
    Options
    I would love to do this too...I've had a few "starts and stops" to try and get better at running. I have a question that is something that has been somewhat of a deterrent for me:

When you are at the beginning of a program and have all the run/walk intervals, how to do you keep track? I want to run outside and not on a treadmill. It seems cumbersome to be looking at a watch every 60 seconds, any suggestions out there?

Much appreciated!

Or if you are like me and don't have an ipod (i use my phone as my mp3 and cannot download podcasts to it). I also didn't have a watch I could use so I had to improvise. I start a song and use the timer for the song and then when it's time to do the next part, I change the song and use the timer on that song and just keep doing that the whole time and it seems to work well for me. I usually do the treadmill but have been trying to get outside one day a week.
    if you have an ipod - there are podcast on the c25k website free for downloading that have verbal ques that go along with the program - when i first started i used songs as philde04 said - i would try to walk / run a whole song or part of one
    if you are walking outside maybe you can use a watch one day and make landmarks - i have heard of using small dots of spray paint on the side of the road if you do road walking
    hope this helps!!
  • darman
    Options
    i <3 this thread, great idea!

I used to be a long distance runner and after a long long break (which started due to an ankle issue and then turned to me not being able to get off my butt) I am finally getting back into things. Man, starting to run again is hard! Today I did 2.5 miles with no walking break at about 5.0 - 5.5 on the treadmill and a random incline. Felt great and I feel like i am finally making some progress.

My goal is to get to 5k 3 times a week, stay there for a bit and work on speed, and then to get to 10k.

awesome job on getting started back!! great job on the 2.5 miles!! Kee pushin"!:drinker:
  • darman
    Options
    I am a beginner runner. Well, I used to run a bit back in middle school for the track team, but that and my in shape body is long gone. :laugh:

I am planning to start the C25K program next week outdoors. I am able to run 1.5 miles on the treadmill with a break of walking for .15 miles in between the mile and the half mile. But, outside is completely different which is why I want to use C25K. :smile:

Hah - i ran track in middle school also - 400 relay and hurdles - my how time flies!
    Good job on getting started back - the c25k has had much success - keep us posted with your progress!!
  • darman
    Options
    I'm in! I'm in the "I keep trying but lose motivation and stop" group. I think I'd be lucky to reach 1 mile fully running. I can do it with walking added in though.

YES the answer is YES - you can reach 1 mile then 1.25 then 1.5 then 1.75.......you get the picture

just keep adding a little more run and a little less walk - always start out with a good brisk walk

and.............MAKE SURE YOU STRETCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! before and after - really does help!!
  • darman
    Options
    WOW!:smile::smile: :smile:
    This really took off - glad to see I am not alone................

for all of you just starting or even somewhere in between starting and reaching you goal let me give you some encouragement and a little of my story..........

I stepped on the scales around the middle of august and realized i weighed more than i ever had in my life.........by the time i walked up the stairs for bed i was breathing heavy.......this had to go....so at 46 yrs of age i decided it was time to get in shape

Day 1: 1.5 mile walk in 20 min on treadmill - took all i could do - 30 crunches on exercise ball
    Goal: to not have a heart attack:laugh:
    Gradually, i mean really gradually i began to add a little distance and some incline
    Gaol: 3 miles in 30 min

3 1/2 months later
    4 mile runs in 38 min
    150 -250 crunches a day
    50 push ups a day

it can be done - but start slow and add only as you feel that you can - you do have to push yourself but don't hurt yourself - your muscles and bones have to grow strong gradually

Some things I have learned on my journey:
    Shoes - oh my gosh - shoes are like really important - make the investment, go to the specialty store and get measured / video taped / fitted - okay so the shoes will cost 10 - 15 $ more - its worth it
    Some days you just have to take off and rest - listen to your body
    The journey is personal - no matter how many friends and family go with you, its your journey
    Set realistic goals for yourself - don't set yourself up to fail - don't by pass any goals
    Keep track of your progess

Sorry for the long post but........................i'm just excited that we have so many of us in the same boat
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    This is a good group to be in. I did W2D2 of C25K this AM, but I wouldn't call myself a runner, but eventually would like to try my hand at a 5K race. I've actually found that I look forward to me C25K sessions no matter what time of day.

I don't use treadmills either. I bought a stop watch for C25K. It's not that hard to carry it in your hand. i try not to look at the watch when I'm running. I pick a land mark ahead and tell myself I can't look until then. This AM I was actually over shooting my run intervals.
  • JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    This is a good group to be in. I did W2D2 of C25K this AM, but I wouldn't call myself a runner, but eventually would like to try my hand at a 5K race. I've actually found that I look forward to me C25K sessions no matter what time of day.

I don't use treadmills either. I bought a stop watch for C25K. It's not that hard to carry it in your hand. i try not to look at the watch when I'm running. I pick a land mark ahead and tell myself I can't look until then. This AM I was actually over shooting my run intervals.

Great Job!!!! :drinker: Today was my off day, but I ran a mile with my BFF (she is trying to quit smoking) I was sooo proud to run with her!!!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I finished the c25k program in that I can run for 30 minutes but now I need to be able to run for 3.2 miles so I can run the 5k in Seattle the end of November. My last run was 2 and 3/4 miles so I'm getting there. I'm definitely a runner. I even subscribed to Runners World magagine. :bigsmile: What a great feeling to be able to run. Before starting the c25k program I could barely run a few feet to catch a bus or walk up a flight of stairs without being completely out of breath. Now I get so excited just thinking about running. What a rush!!! :happy:
  • JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I finished the c25k program in that I can run for 30 minutes but now I need to be able to run for 3.2 miles so I can run the 5k in Seattle the end of November. My last run was 2 and 3/4 miles so I'm getting there. I'm definitely a runner. I even subscribed to Runners World magagine. :bigsmile: What a great feeling to be able to run. Before starting the c25k program I could barely run a few feet to catch a bus or walk up a flight of stairs without being completely out of breath. Now I get so excited just thinking about running. What a rush!!! :happy:

:drinker: You go momma!!!! (I'm jealous of the runners world subscription :bigsmile: )
  • lisam829
    lisam829 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a runner. I even subscribed to Runners World magagine. :bigsmile:

me too!! i went on their website and wow, I'm still looking through and finding cool stuff.
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options

I attempted W2D1 myself, but I didn't quite make it because my left shin starting acting up, maybe because I was on a treadmill today. I usually run on a walking/running track around this lake down the road and I do the same thing - pick land marks. I go from one lamp post to every other one or every two since I like to listen to my own music. I keep meaning to make my own podcast, but just haven't gotten around to it.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I did my run tonight but forgot to take the pedometer to see how far I ran. I also forgot to set my hrm so I have no idea how many calories I burned. And I had to sit and take a rest about half way while DD kept right on going. YAY for her! At least it wasn't raining. I'm just kind of disappointed in myself for not running a little further and for stopping to rest before turning around and heading back. :ohwell: Well, hopefully I can do better on Thursday.
  • darman
    Options
    I did my run tonight but forgot to take the pedometer to see how far I ran. I also forgot to set my hrm so I have no idea how many calories I burned. And I had to sit and take a rest about half way while DD kept right on going. YAY for her! At least it wasn't raining. I'm just kind of disappointed in myself for not running a little further and for stopping to rest before turning around and heading back. :ohwell: Well, hopefully I can do better on Thursday.
    Don't get too down on yourself - keep going - everyone has "those" days when you just can't seem to go as far as you want - maybe instead of stopping just slow down a bit but keep moving - look forward to see what you have to say on Thursday
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I ran 2.5 miles last night in 30 minutes, slow pace but made it through. My longest run so far, really excited about how great it feels. My hip is starting to bother me again, it is not painful while I run but afterward it bothers me through the next day. Not sure what is causing the pain, will work on stretching that area specifically and see if that will help.

Good luck to everyone else!!
  • darman
    Options
    I ran 2.5 miles last night in 30 minutes, slow pace but made it through. My longest run so far, really excited about how great it feels. My hip is starting to bother me again, it is not painful while I run but afterward it bothers me through the next day. Not sure what is causing the pain, will work on stretching that area specifically and see if that will help.

Good luck to everyone else!!

GREAT JOB!!:drinker:
    Glad to hear you made it through - as for your hip - check out some specific stretches for it and make sure you make time before and your run for stretching - be sure you have some cool down time after you finish also
  • darman
    Options
    4 miles yesterday with just a short walk in the mix - calf muscles were really tight - then last night I walked with my wife 3 miles - who knew she wanted to make her best time!!

Little tough moving around this morning - may have been too much yesterday and then add the walk last night -we shall see its about run time in the gym - wish me luck!!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I just finished W2D3. It was by far the toughest training session I've had. Not for aches or pains, or unscheduled stops. First off I had to skip over a road killed armadillo. Then I made the turn into the teeth of a sustained 30 mph wind.

My first three running sessions were straight into the wind. I couldn't beleive the difference in resistance when I made the turn to go back. The last two running sessions we easy as hell. In fact I stretched the last session to two minutes....because Week 3 is a little more difficult. But think I'm ready.

I also started checking into races in late Nov early December. i think getting an organized 5K in before Christmas has become a short term goal....because the scale certainly hasn't moved in two weeks.
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Ok, here are my questions about what to do "next" in preparing for running a 5k... I'm on week 8, next run will be day 3, my third 28 minute run. I run on a treadmill at the gym. Including the warm up/cool down walks, I'm covering 2.5 miles.

My questions are:

So, what recommendations do you have about transitioning to running outdoors?

What do you do when you are actually at a race - walk for 5 minutes before it starts? Spend the first 5 minutes walking, just stretch & go?????

My race isn't until Oct 23rd, and I'll have completed week 9 a couple of weeks earlier - so I'm hoping I'll be up to running 3.1 by the end of week 9, but I'm also open to suggestions for successful strategies for increasing speed :-)

Thanks in advance!!!
  • darman
    Options
    Ok, here are my questions about what to do "next" in preparing for running a 5k... I'm on week 8, next run will be day 3, my third 28 minute run. I run on a treadmill at the gym. Including the warm up/cool down walks, I'm covering 2.5 miles.

My questions are:

So, what recommendations do you have about transitioning to running outdoors?

What do you do when you are actually at a race - walk for 5 minutes before it starts? Spend the first 5 minutes walking, just stretch & go?????

My race isn't until Oct 23rd, and I'll have completed week 9 a couple of weeks earlier - so I'm hoping I'll be up to running 3.1 by the end of week 9, but I'm also open to suggestions for successful strategies for increasing speed :-)

Thanks in advance!
    Moving from treadmill to outside: pace, pace, pace - that has always been the hardest thing for me - i tend to have a faster pace when off the treadmill and I have to slow down - try looking at your feet when your one the treadmill and get a mental picture and then use that when outside - you can also count your steps per minute and try and duplicate that
    As for the race - interval training is the best way to increase speed - check runnersworld.com or coolrunnings.com for help with this - as for before the race - yes, walking / stretching, anything to stay loose
    hope this helps