When guys yell out the car and honk the horn at you..

Options

Replies

• DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I think it's hilarious how many women think it's ok to behave like an idiot if you're hot enough to pull it off, but if you aren't...you're just a jerk lol.

I dont think they are jerks.

I just get a good laugh out of it. Lol.
  • kymillion
    kymillion Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I have had some interesting things said most of them make me blush while others make me want to gouge their eyes out.

one time in particular I was jogging and some landscaper was in the tree with his shirt off and jeans and was trimming a branch was ogling me started straddling the tree and making lude gestures with his tongue hands and what have you .. I chucked a rock at his F#*ken head who taught him that's how to behave only God knows.. dumb prick.

another time some dude made a comment to his friend at the top of the stairs about my "tig o bitties" .. * I was alone at the bottom of the stairs and seriously felt threatened having to walk past him and his buddy.. I buried my lunch box ( used to carry the metal ones as purses ) in his sack as hard as I could on the way up.. and my husband ended up catching wind of what happened and had a very stern talk to the guy and made him come out to the car and apologize,.. ;):D
  • lacielu0112
    Options
    Trashy or not, everyone loves a) a little attention every now and again and b) to be approved of.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    this happens to me quite frequently as I run on a road that is also a popular lookout spot and cars are always going up and down. Honestly, I can never understand what they are saying but I always yell back, makes it more fun!

I've noticed it's usually only guys do it when there are a lot of other guys in the car, it's like they're doing it more for their friends than anything. I'm not offended.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I think it's hilarious how many women think it's ok to behave like an idiot if you're hot enough to pull it off, but if you aren't...you're just a jerk lol.

I agree. Even the most physically good looking guy becomes instantly unattractive when he behaves like an idiot.
  • 180farm
    180farm Posts: 230
    Options
    Twenty years ago I was annoyed. Now I'm flattered.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

I dont think they are jerks.

I just get a good laugh out of it. Lol.

I didn't say it was necessarily wrong lol, just funny =p.
    this happens to me quite frequently as I run on a road that is also a popular lookout spot and cars are always going up and down. Honestly, I can never understand what they are saying but I always yell back, makes it more fun!

I've noticed it's usually only guys do it when there are a lot of other guys in the car, it's like they're doing it more for their friends than anything. I'm not offended.

I think I know the road you mean...the next few times I'm in Tucson I'll have to swing through (is it relatively hilly with lots of curves?). If I see you...you may not hear me whistling (hard to hear through my helmet), but you'll probably hear my bike rev a few times :).

Look for this:
    20120316_143455-1-1.jpg

If you wave back, I'll happily take you to lunch lol.
  • fleshandbonesss
    Options
    i feel flattered, but feel like they're immature and at the same time feel violated. i get the same feeling when someone's staring at me...the kind of undressing stare.

unless i'm attracted to you, stop it. it's weird.
  • iemcanadian
    iemcanadian Posts: 18
    Options
    I have to laugh at all these young, indignant 20-somethings who find it so offensive. Enjoy it while you got it b/c in another 20 years, you will look back and mourn for the day when you could turn a head or two.

That's a bit condescending. Personally I don't think most cat-callers do it because they find you especially attractive - I think it's just a creepy, obnoxious way to "have fun". I don't think it's a compliment but I guess take it as you will.
  • iemcanadian
    iemcanadian Posts: 18
    Options

I do agree with this, though - if you're hot it's okay, if you're not it's creepy? :/
  • RMuske
    RMuske Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about this.. I suppose in some way I'm flattered but I wonder what that is meant to accomplish? Is it just meant to be complimentary?
  • victoriaM_18
    Options
    I used to acknowledge it (before I got married) (which was between the years of (12-16) and smile or something... they must've thought it was an invitation, because every time I did that, those creepers would try to come talk to me. I got freaked out the last time when this man followed me almost to my house. (I went to my neighbor's house down the street so he wouldn't know where I lived). After that I quit acknowledging it...
    Since I don't live in that city anymore, I get less of it.. and when I do get it, I don't feel like they're trying to kidnap me anymore hahahah.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    People who actually know me would laugh their rears off at the idea that I have low self esteem and am sick in the head.
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options

It's an attack on your worth as a human being, and if they yell out of the car at you, all you are is a piece of meat that they feel they can judge.

It's degrading, deplorable, and honestly, whenever I get cat-called at, I flip them the bird. They quickly change their tune to "YOU B*TCH/S*UT/W*ORE!" or whatever their feeble little minds can come up with.

It's also called "rape culture." But if I start in on this, I'll be here for hours.

I'm guessing it's more about you flipping them the bird that gets you called those names and less about them feeling the need to overpower you by raping you. If you don't like it, ignore it. But, doing something insulting is going to always bring you MORE negative attention. That's not rape culture, that's just reality.

no, it IS rape culture.

it's the belief that yelling objectifying things at a strange woman is acceptable. it's a power play. and it IS degrading.

lucky i'm fugly, because i'd be terrified if someone yelled at me when i'm walking.

Oh get over yourself. When I was young, we used to go out walking hoping it would happen. It was fun. It's still fun. And who has the power? The guy begging to be noticed or the woman who can choose to ignore him?

it's strange to me women who enjoy that objectification. what goes through their heads?

"i really really hope someone screams things at my body. that would flatter me lots"

"maybe if i wear something slutty enough no one will expect me to have a personality"

"my fitness routine would sure be made better if some strangers yelled things at me"

:sick:
    LMAO

Sweetie, I have plenty of personality and plenty of intelligence. And I use both. Like I said, I wouldn't date a guy who did that, but it's nice to be noticed for how I look. I guess if you never get that kind of attention, you feel better about yourself making it a feminist issue.

I totally agree with you. :)
  • Lunakatrina
    Options
    I want to kill the guys that do this, they do it to scare you half to death and treat you like gum stuck to your shoe and some people on here think I should be FLATTERED?! I hope you guys run into a telephone pole when you do this to women!
  • Lunakatrina
    Options
    One time my boyfriend did this to me, trying to get my attention, I slapped him AND his friend that was in the car with him SO HARD
  • CharleneExtreme
    Options
    I always assume they're yelling insults at me - even when they just honk.
    I'm considering carrying around a hammer and smashing up the car of the next person that says anything.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I try to stay out of that part of town! :grumble:
  • VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Causing a car accident definitely boosted my ego. Nobody in the cars was hurt, so I'm allowed to feel good about it, right?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    One time my boyfriend did this to me, trying to get my attention, I slapped him AND his friend that was in the car with him SO HARD
    Domestic violence ... Always a proper response.

For the record, saying that I am flattered is not the same as saying you should be.