after poor service do you still tip good ???

Options

Replies

• Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Nope, I'm a strong believer in capitalism and merit- or performance-based pay, so if a server does a crappy job, they deserve to get a crappy tip. I've started leaving a note to let them know it wasn't an oversight, and I'm not cheap - the lousy tip was because of their lousy performance. On the flip side, I tip well for above-average service. If I'm in a group and the grautuity is already added in, I'd tell the manager.

Agreed. Rewarding bad behavior is what you're doing if you do tip. You don't give your kids a reward for breaking your windows do you? Also, I have been a waiter for 2 years in college. All my jobs have been related to customer service.
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I went out to dinner with a friend and the waitress was TERRIBLE. No service, food was wrong (as in we ordered chicken and got ribs), no refills (had to ask another waiter to get them for us), and she wouldn't bring us the bill. We had to get a manager to do it.

So my friend leaves a 1 cent tip. He said that it's more of an insult to her because she can then know that's exactly what her service was worth.

In this instance, I actually agreed with him. Even if the job is terrible, I still tip at least 10-15%.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's not just about the amount. I rarely tip huge usually get decent service, so the notion you "have" to tip 20% or 30% is silly. I used to work for tips, and I rarely got that much (but I don't have boobs, it's to be expected).

For sub-par service - I'll start with 15%, drop a buck or two, and leave the change.

For good, friendly, service - I start with 15%, round up to the nearest whole dollar, and maybe add a buck or two. I'll *always* leave cash in whole dollar increments on the table, in singles if I have them.

For amazing service (esp., when really busy), I'll do the same, add a few bucks more. Then, I'll find the manager, and tell them how good the service was, how unusual it is, and how I expect management to do something nice for the server. People in service are so used to complaints, you can shock them with a compliment!

People like paper cash and compliments.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I generally don't tie my tip to a percentage of the bill. There's too much variation in prices among restaurants to do something so arbitrary. If I eat at a local dive where the bill is $20 for two. A 20% tip is $4. If I eat at a nice steak house where the bill is $100, the tip is $20. If the service is comparable, why should I give the server at the steak house $16 more?

To answer the OPs question, I tip based on performance and don't say much if anything. If it was a bad night, the server will make it up on a great night. If they are just a crumby server, they'll find that they can make better money doing something else and move on. I also worked as a delivery restaurant manager and was frustrated by the number of times customers went off on me about something stupid a delivery person did but then left the delivery person a sizable tip. I can talk/scream obscenities/threaten to fire a person all day long but the general attitude was that the bottom line is all that matters. If it doesn't hurt a person's wallet, your opinion of their performance doesn't really matter. If service really sucks, I usually leave half the change as a tip. If paying by credit card, I round the bill up to the next half dollar.
  • Foxypoo61287
    Foxypoo61287 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    At my job, you have to tip the bar tender, they get their OWN customers, but they don't share their tips with us, and even if we have ZERO sales in alcohol, we still have to tip them 1% of our sales. I think it's bogus, And we have to share with the hostess too. Fail there too. They should get paid Min wage, not the $4.67 we get. They shouldn't get tipped out. Bussers & food runners should get the tip out.
    I am the bartender. I control the alcohol. You are worthless without me, so you will pay. You will pay and you will be happy about it and you will say nice things to me or I will make your frozen drinks luke-warm and slushy and your cocktails weak and your beers half foam. And you will stop complaining that your three tables are having to wait too long while I am in the middle of covering this three-deep rush during Happy Hour, or I will teabag every order you put in. I will find time for that *kitten*, believe that.

Try not tipping the hostess for a week, too. Enjoy your month of tables of nothing but homeless people.

The "percentage of sales" arrangement exists because waitresses will lie about their tips and short the bartenders so that the waitress can walk with more money. Proven fact.

I wouldn't mind tipping on my ALCOHOL sales.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    In a lot of restaurants, at least the ones I/my friends have worked out, your server also has to "tip out" at the end of the night, meaning that food runners, busboys, etc. also get a portion of their tips. When you tip your server poorly, you may also be stiffing other members of the staff who may be doing a stellar job.
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    In a lot of restaurants, at least the ones I/my friends have worked out, your server also has to "tip out" at the end of the night, meaning that food runners, busboys, etc. also get a portion of their tips. When you tip your server poorly, you may also be stiffing other members of the staff who may be doing a stellar job.

What do food runners and busboys do?
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options

Depending on the size/fanciness of the restaurant, they may or may not have food runners - but sometimes places, especially high-end ones, have food runners that physically bring your food out from the kitchen (they also double check to ensure consistency between the order and the actual plate of food to avoid mistakes).

Busboys are pretty much at every restaurant - they clear glasses and dishes, wipe down tables, and generally clean up after restaurant patrons.
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options

Depending on the size/fanciness of the restaurant, they may or may not have food runners - but sometimes places, especially high-end ones, have food runners that physically bring your food out from the kitchen (they also double check to ensure consistency between the order and the actual plate of food to avoid mistakes).

Busboys are pretty much at every restaurant - they clear glasses and dishes, wipe down tables, and generally clean up after restaurant patrons.

Ah ok, thanks. So what do the actual waitresses / waiters do then? In England, the waiting staff bring the food and clear up etc
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

Ah ok, thanks. So what do the actual waitresses / waiters do then? In England, the waiting staff bring the food and clear up etc

It's not a common thing in every place. All depends on the volume of customers.

I always ran my own food unless I was just swamped, and I always pre-cleaned my tables. But I also did better at my job than anyone else, so I made bank.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I've been a waitress and been a manager at a restaurant which had waitstaff, so I say this with all the sincerity and respect one can give to those who work in such positions: tips should be based on the quality of the service that the one serving gives. Nothing else. Not based on the fact that most servers make less than minimum wage on their base salary. (I know how much a server can average in tips - I do NOT pity you!) Not based on the quality of food. Not based on how much money I have - after all if I'm eating out, I should be responsible enough to budget a halfway decent tip for services rendered. However, those services should be rendered.

Being a server is not about bringing people food and then leaving them to eat while you text message someone or chat with your co-workers, it's about providing an entertaining and comfortable dining experience to the customer. From the moment a server says hello to the customer they should feel at ease and know that this person genuinely wants to make them happy. Not feel like they have to flag them down just to get a refill! If I wanted to get my own food and serve myself I could easily just go to a restaurant that doesn't have servers.

I'll admit that because of my past experience I can be a harsh critic. I'll even feel insulted if the server doesn't try to up-sell me! (What, do you think I don't have the money for a dessert? Maybe I wanted one when I came in...) Then again, I always try to be fair and wear my "manager glasses" when judging a server. If they are seriously new to the job it is often easy to spot early on and I'll often make notes and then give them suggestions on how to improve their service with a good tip for effort. (I'll even come back later and if they have improved I give a "bonus" tip as well as praise.) If the server is just plain negligent, however, I'll speak with the manager directly - by that point I'm usually too upset to even talk to the server anyway.

On the flip side, I've left amazing tips for amazing service, too. 30% tip anyone? Treat me well, I'll treat you well. That's how it works.

Is it wrong to talk to the server directly about your concerns? No, so long as you're polite and fair there is nothing wrong with letting them know how you feel. Honestly, if someone cries anytime another person says they did a bad job they should probably NOT be a server. You have to be able to roll with the punches in that kind of job as you deal with a lot of different people. (Some people are just generally unhappy no matter what and they eat at restaurants, too.) Don't take it personally if the server gets upset at your comments. However, if it's a severe problem - tell the management. They need to know and can't watch their servers all the time. Likewise, if the server does well - tell the management!

I agree with the upselling. I upsell EVERY CHANCE I GET! More $$ for the check more $$ in m y pocket. I recently went to a cracker barrel, the serve was new about a month into her job, and I REALLY wanted the coconut cream pie, I only order dessert if they ask, well she didn't ask. I got a steak and some other side dish. When she brought the check she didn't ask much, just kind of dropped it up. When she came back to get the $$ for the bill I asked her how new she was. I told her " You know if you would have suggested dessert I would have gotten it." I also told her I would have gotten sauteed m/o too on my steak, or even a salad. Even if it is more money to add on. If at anytime a serve asks if I want to add such and such, I normally add it. But that's me.

She probably thought you were old enough to think for yourself. If you want something, order it. She can suggest something better if you get something crappy.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Agreed. That's a fairly odd statement.
  • terryjo623
    terryjo623 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am a waitress and also managed a restaurant. We have to give the cooks a % of our sales so if you don't tip it cost me money to serve you, so yes I always tip but less for bad service.
    If I have a bad day, which doesn't happen often( I have been doing it for 25yrs), I would not expect much.
    I do not get angry if people don't tip cause some people never do, they come in every day so they are happy with the service and the food. It is just the way they are and I can't stress over it. They are still customers.
    I do think you should of went to the manager though because cell phones are not usually allowed on the floor.
  • allroundthesun
    Options
    Depends on how we're defining "poor service". Food took a long time to arrive, s/he didn't check in very frequently, a mistake was made with the order or bill but was corrected in a timely manner, something was spilled... Yes, I still tip, some of those things could well be the fault of the kitchen, and accidents happen to everyone.

Poor manners, attitude/rudeness, not being apologetic about mistakes, wasting time hanging around having a personal conversation with another server, in situations like that, no I won't tip, but I've only had an experience like that that made me decide not to tip once, ever.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Depends on how we're defining "poor service". Food took a long time to arrive, s/he didn't check in very frequently, a mistake was made with the order or bill but was corrected in a timely manner, something was spilled... Yes, I still tip, some of those things could well be the fault of the kitchen, and accidents happen to everyone.

Poor manners, attitude/rudeness, not being apologetic about mistakes, wasting time hanging around having a personal conversation with another server, in situations like that, no I won't tip, but I've only had an experience like that that made me decide not to tip once, ever.

That's how I feel about it too. You have no idea what's going on behind the scene. But if my server is mucking it up - that will effect the tip. Last weekend, I took my kids to hard rock. The kitchen burned my sons burger. The server saw it before it hit the table and apologized profusely. Brought him a snack plate to munch on while he waited on a replacement. Thd new burger was barely cooked. He comped our entire meal. I tipped him the entire bill. I didn't feel right getting a free meal and he was tripping all over himself to make things right. It wasn't his fault thd kitchen dropped the ball
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Please know most servers make 2.15 to 2.50 an hour plus tips. Then they have to tip out the bussers and the bar 10 to 15 percent of what they make.

I don't know where you are but in Canada they make minimum wage, which in Saskatchewan means $9.50 / hr plus tips. So a little quick math... 5 tables, $30 bills at each table, 20% tip equals $30 plus the $9.50 equals $39.50 / hr... that doesn't seem so bad.

It's not the same in the US...at least when i worked as a waitress there was a different min wage for the service industry ($2.50/hr at the time). But the way it worked for us was we were required to claim our tips at least up to the normal minimum wage point ($5.50 i think...now it's $8). If we didn't make minimum wage the company compensated us. I doubt everywhere does that, but the chain I worked for did.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I am a waitress, a lot of people don't realize we only make $2.13 an hour. Now with that said, if the service really sucked I don't tip great. Seriously I will tip but nothing like I'd normally tip. As a server, I also know what a server should do. I know I'm pretty good at my job, but we all have bad day's, so in my mind I try to give people the benefit of a doubt that it's just a bad day, if I go back, have the same server and the server is still slacking bad, the tip goes down, I'll eventually request for a different server the next time I go back. I bad server can give the place a bad name.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

Not where I work, I refuse to work for a place where we have to split tips, I bust my butt to make the money I make, where as one of the girls I work with, she slacks major and makes enough to get by, but doesn't make what she could make. I'd hate to split with her, she'd get more then she should for sure.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I do tip well for good service, but I am getting tired of the people that whine about the poor wages associated with service jobs and thinking we should compensate them for picking a low-paying job. I do not mind tipping for good service, but it shouldn't be an expectation regardless of the service person's demeanor.

Also a little tired of a tip jar placed on every counter.

I work hard all day. There's no tip jar on my desk.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    No service, no tip from me.
    But then, I live in Australia and we don't have a tipping culture like you do in the US.