whats the worst "food myth" you have heard?

Options

Replies

• bella51708
    bella51708 Posts: 47
    Options
    You can thank my mother for these gems:
    If it's fat free or low fat you can eat all you want
    Since a potato is a vegetable it's perfectly okay to have it be the only vegetable in your diet
    Avocados & nuts are fattening and should be avoided at all costs
    Veggie omelets aren't good because of the cholesterol (mind you she had ordered a double-decker club sandwich with onion rings and a coke when she said that to me :grumble: )

This sounds like my Mom. She is still on the fat-free/low fat diet that was common in the 90's. If something says lowfat or fat-free you can have as much as you want of it. She use to be obsessed with fat content in everything. She would not buy anything with more than 3g of total fat. Craziness!!! The scary part is, she still thinks this way no matter how much I explain fats to her.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    You must drink at least 8 glasses of plain water each day or you will become dehydrated. Caffeintated drinks do not count for hydration; in fact you have to drink extra plain water to account for them
  • ChristySeeksBalance
    ChristySeeksBalance Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed at all the bread crust myths! I was always told to eat all my crusts, because that is there all the nutrients are! The rest of the bread is just "fluff".
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    gotta eat every 2-4 hours to keep that metabo fire burning but dont eat after 9 pm!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • SummerSunBaby
    Options
    Toasting bread cuts some of the calories off.

LOL My grandma swears by this. I have to keep telling her she's wrong. It probably shaves off what? 000.1 calorie.
    It's freaking toast.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer asked me if I was eating "good calories" or "bad calories" ...

Whew that made me laugh so hard... hahaha

Technically a good calorie would be food. A bad calorie would be something that isn't food- like paint or hardwood flooring.

That made me giggle!
  • jallen1955
    jallen1955 Posts: 121
    Options
    there is no such thing as empty calories- all calories are the same

and my all time fave

"this metabolism stuff is just a myth"

talk about nutritionally dense lol
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    gotta eat every 2-4 hours to keep that metabo fire burning but dont eat after 9 pm!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Arrrrggghhh! I recently reassessed my lifestyle to figure out why I was 40lbs lighter at 25 - I think the answer is:

1) I was a newspaper reporter always on the go, chasing after stories and pounding the pavements
    2) I only ate when I was truly hungry and had time to grab something

Now I'm in a management job, stuck behind a desk and can eat when I want. Now I eat my three meals a day with snacks inbetween. Now I'm fat and need to lose weight!

I got fat because I ate more than I used to. I'm trying to retrain myself to only eat when hungry and not when we are told we should do. And if this means I won't stick to traditional meal times and want to have my dinner at 9pm rather than before 7pm then I will do!
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    its healthier to eat standing up vs sitting.... well yes because i spill 90% more (on my shirt) standing up than i do sitting down. bahaha
  • mtaylor33557
    Options
    This is not as much a "myth" but something someone convinced themselves to make them feel better.

My MIL is diabetic and the queen of southern style comfort foods.

She once told me.. " Well you can eat the okra, its a vegetable. Yes, I know it's fried, but I did it in the deep fryer, and that cooks it so fast it doesn't have time to absorb any of the oil.."

Yeaaaahhh... that makes sense, so what's dripping off of that paper towel you're putting them onto?
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    oh and apparently i live under a rock what the hell is a negative calorie food? no doubt a mythical creature of sorts but I've never heard that term until this post
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options

Diet soda is just NASTY!!! What exactly IS the point of Diet soda anyways? So those people can eat a Big Mac, a Large Fry, and have a Diet Soda to make them feel better? LOL

Nah, it doesn't make me feel better , I just don't like to waste calories on a drink when I can have a zero cal one.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    - Foods are healthy and unhealthy
    - Low sodium reduces water retention (it actually increases aldosterone)
    - Sodium is the devil
    - Saturated fat is bad
    - Red meat is bad
    - Gotta drink a ton of water

Those are the biggest ones or me.
  • mtaylor33557
    Options
    oh and apparently i live under a rock what the hell is a negative calorie food? no doubt a mythical creature of sorts but I've never heard that term until this post

I think they are supposed to be things that take more calories to digest than what they contain.. is that correct, anyone?

I've never really thought much about it, but I thought I heard somone try to argue that once.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Currently?

"Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, if you don't eat breakfast, your metabolism lowers and you store more of the food you eat as fat...so you HAVE to eat breakfast in order to 'jump start' (please, don't get me started on 'jump start'!) your metabolism!!"

Seriously people?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    "Legumes are poisonous" Heard it on MFP from a Paleo fanatic.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    that its a good idea to reward good behavior with it as if you were a dog.

misbehaving and fueling your body aren't related unless you WANT emotional eating issues.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    "Legumes are poisonous" Heard it on MFP from a Paleo fanatic.

Some people have peanut allergies, if they eat them they could die. Peanuts are legumes therefore you can extrapolate to legumes are poisonous ;P
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    no carbs at night.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    You must drink at least 8 glasses of plain water each day or you will become dehydrated. Caffeintated drinks do not count for hydration; in fact you have to drink extra plain water to account for them

I live by this but i have serious body hydration issues what with being a mermaid and all. Oh wait I thought that said carbonated. No i dont compensate for caffeinated drinks. But I MUST drink 2-3 bottles of water a day or I faint within the next three days.