whats the worst "food myth" you have heard?

Options

Replies

• RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    That there is no such thing as a "good fat" or that you should never eat ANY kind of fat. My MIL says she eats a 100% fat free diet -- uh huh....sure you do. :grumble:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    eating egg yolks will give you high cholesterol

Ok...so just had a health screening today. Have borderline high cholesterol for the first time in my life. The only thing I have changed is that since I have been exercising regularly I have been eating 2 eggs every morning for breakfast. The nurse told me to cut back on the eggs or to stop eating the yokes.

So...that's not true? So what does give you high cholesterol?

Sorry to come across as dumb, but I've never had high cholesterol before!

I didn't know the answer to this either so I looked it up. Apparently saturated fats cause high cholesterol. Dietary cholesterol like what is found in eggs has little effect on blood cholesterol levels.

Hmm, I'm an avid fan of saturated fats (I grew up on a cattle ranch, and my diet pretty much reflects that)...and last bloodwork I had was dead on.

*shrug*
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options

Ok...so just had a health screening today. Have borderline high cholesterol for the first time in my life. The only thing I have changed is that since I have been exercising regularly I have been eating 2 eggs every morning for breakfast. The nurse told me to cut back on the eggs or to stop eating the yokes.

The most common things that raise cholesterol are the wrong types of fats and/or refined carbs. For most people dietary cholesterol doesn't have much affect but for some it does
    For most people, the amount of cholesterol eaten has only a modest impact on the amount of cholesterol circulating in the blood. (37) For some people, though, blood cholesterol levels rise and fall very strongly in relation to the amount of cholesterol eaten. For these "responders," avoiding cholesterol-rich foods can have a substantial effect on blood cholesterol levels. Unfortunately, at this point there is no way other than by trial and error to identify responders from non-responders to dietary cholesterol.
    Source: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-full-story/index.html#cholesterol

ETA: the link above has a lot of interesting information on cholesterol and the conflicting evidence from various studies.

Thanks!!!
  • SGRhapsodos
    SGRhapsodos Posts: 47
    Options
    Ok, back on the subject, the craziest one I've heard is: 'if you don't eat the most nutritious, most important meal of your day 15 minutes after you work out, you will store fat and it will be as if you hadn't worked out at all. Basically work put gone to waste.' yes, trainer, I carry a lunchbox full of baked chicken, sweet potato, a green salad and olive oil in my gym bag!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The underlying assumption that anything "natural" is healthy. (Reminder: Hemlock and cyanide are natural.)
    That this or that extreme diet is healthy (with the implication that it will work long-term).

You just made me think of a quote I was on pinterest yesterday. "People say that _________ is good for you because it's natural, but they don't realize that just because it's natural doesn't mean it's safe. Wanna know what else is natural? Bears."

Bears are good for you if you cook them right.
  • SGRhapsodos
    SGRhapsodos Posts: 47
    Options
    That there is no such thing as a "good fat" or that you should never eat ANY kind of fat. My MIL says she eats a 100% fat free diet -- uh huh....sure you do. :grumble:

I was raised on that mentality too.... And then I wondered why I was breaking out, getting, inflammation, constipated, etc. No it couldn't have been the corn flakes and the fat free milk I was having for breakfast.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Ice water is a negative calorie drink.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options

I didn't know the answer to this either so I looked it up. Apparently saturated fats cause high cholesterol. Dietary cholesterol like what is found in eggs has little effect on blood cholesterol levels.

Hmm, I'm an avid fan of saturated fats (I grew up on a cattle ranch, and my diet pretty much reflects that)...and last bloodwork I had was dead on.

*shrug*

Of course there are other things that cause it too. I didn't mean to say that to mean saturated fats are the only thing that causes high cholesterol and all people who eat a lot of saturated fat will have high cholesterol... Sorry I wasn't more specific.
  • mkozmik
    mkozmik Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Well, when you sautee the mushrooms in butter then put them in gravy an slather them on a buttery cheesburger, I guess they would have a lot of fat attached to them..... ;-) Just sayin....
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    It's healthy to eat sugary foods in the morning, like donuts, because your body needs to replenish sugar after sleeping.

thanks for taking all I had away
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I also i like the one where Im not supposed to drink diet pop its going to give me cancer!
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    I swear, everytime I pull a banana out my purse (yes, I keep fruit in my purse...ya know, for fruit emergencies), atleast one person I'm with will say "Aren't you dieting? Bananas make you fat." or something along those lines *eye roll*
    I pulled one out (emergency) at Wendys the other night while my husband scarfed down a half pound of greasy burger and fries!

hahaha I'm so glad I'm not the only crazy lady with food in their purse!
  • mkozmik
    mkozmik Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is "Coffee will turn your belly button brown."
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    That ground turkey is better for you than lean ground beef. This one really pisses me off because not only did I believe it, I acted on it and for the last 5 months I've been using ground turkey in place of ground beef.

I was making chili and was out of ground turkey so I grab some steak filets and chopped them up instead. And when I was imputing the recipe I couldn't figure out why the calories were so much lower than my usual recipe. Turns out there were less calories, fat AND saturated fat (the reason why they say beef is so bad for you to begin with!) in the 1/2 a pound of lean beef than the freakin' 1/2 a pound of ground turkey. Not to mention that for some recipes I need to use added olive oil because the turkey is so dry and that just bumps up the calories even further. It's pretty frightening what you'll believe if you hear it repeated often enough...
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I was told earlier this week that wheat poisons your body.
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options

I was raised on that mentality too.... And then I wondered why I was breaking out, getting, inflammation, constipated, etc. No it couldn't have been the corn flakes and the fat free milk I was having for breakfast.

People flip out about healthy fats...like avocados....so good for you but considered a "fatty" food. It is monosaturated -- the good kind that can LOWER cholesterol levels.

I do drink fat free/skim milk though -- only because I prefer the taste. I get my good fats elsewhere.
  • chefswife1975
    chefswife1975 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Vegan eating is healthy. I find this hilarious considering the amount of supplements you need to take to get what you need, plus the amount of processed foods these people eat to have fake meat products which are just as bad as the processed foods the meat eaters eat.
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Spunk is a good protein source

...Isn't it? :O

The more women who believe that the better
  • naswegan
    naswegan Posts: 9
    Options
    Not a "food" myth per se, but I hate it when people think that every thin person MUST unarguably be healthier than anyone who is overweight. Even with a little extra padding, my habits are MUCH healthier than when I was literally starving to keep my weight down. Along the same lines, the perception that every thin person must be eating healthfully and exercising is a similar myth. I know a few people who are naturally thin and do not eat well at all, do not exercise, and also partake in other unhealthy personal habits.

I am also hoping that "a moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips" is a myth. The occasional brownie cannot possibly stick around forever, can it? I think it's a scare tactic (which doesn't really work most of the time). I don't know anyone, even the strictest eater, who doesn't partake in an indulgence every now and again.
  • joeburchett2
    Options
    Your trainer SHOULD have asked, "Where do your calories come from?" A calorie is a calorie...but 400 calories of broccoli IS different than 400 calories of doughnuts!