whats the worst "food myth" you have heard?

Options

Replies

• Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    That a gluten free diet can help cure autism. I want to punch people who say that in the face. Repeatedly.

As someone with autism this one bugs me. The gluten free/dairy free diet that they talk about on autism forums is the biggest crock and is nothing more than more new-age medicine, like healing crystals.

My daughter has autism. My husband has a regular customer who comes in all the time spouting about how when a child has autism it's the mother's fault because she ate gluten while she was pregnant. I want to sell him to Jigsaw lol

Like a few of the others here, there's an odd bit of truth there.

A friend's adult daughter had become very ill; after being diagnosed with various allergies and avoiding those foods had gotten better. After that, my friend had the rest of the family tested for food allergies. Her adult, autistic son had a few strong food allergies, including wheat. Removing those from his diet resulted in major behavioral changes. Not a cure, and in his case, it wasn't just a gluten free diet, but not eating things he was allergic to every day. (My friend also had some major health improvements.)

In no way do I mean to suggest that someone who eats perfectly normal foods while pregnant or that diet causes autism, but food allergies can do bad things. And this is how weird myths can get started.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Most of the salads at fast-food joints have more calories than their biggest, greasiest burger. It's quite a travesty!!

This is the worst food myth I have heard. True the salad aren't as healthy as they claim but they are generally not worse than the "worst" burger on the menu
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What about the myth that you have to eat above 1200 calories a day or you will stall and not lose weight. Yeah, tell that one to gastric bypass patients who eat 300-1000 calories a day and lose massive amounts of weight.

*sigh* This got to page 15 and then someone just had to start a totally tangental topic like this - well done!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    That soy is good for you

That soy is bad for you
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    that sugar contains only 28 calories per teaspoon (true) and won't have any negative effects on you losing weight (totally false).

I disagree on your totally false. at least, for the vast majority of the population.

in the simplest terms, calories determine weight gain or loss. so too much sugar will hinder weight because of the calorie content, if it goes too high. otherwise ... not so much.

I agree with you disagreeing with the totally false!
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,307
    Options
    Spunk is a good protein source

...Isn't it? :O

I think so too...........
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Ooooh the Autism thing really boils my p*ss. Im an autism researcher, it has nothing to do with gastrointestinal issues.
    Changes in behaviour after sussing food allergies, etc, will most likely be due to a lack of discomfort. ASC children find it harder to communicate, imagine if you had a tummy ache all the time and felt rubbish but couldnt really let anyone know, then suddenly it stops...behaviour is bound to settle.

The 'good calories' vs. 'bad calories' makes perfect sense to me. Are you getting your calories from healthy, filling and nutritious foods, or are you getting them from sugars, fats and drinks like soda and alcohol. NOT all calories were created equal. Seriously, you have a mars bar...around 240 calories for 50g bar, and then you have a chicken stir fry, around the same. Are you telling me that those calories count for the same health wise?
  • LJV1031
    LJV1031 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Eating late at night takes the absorbed food and turns it directly into fat which is why you shouldn't eat after 7pm.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

That is what I was going to say. DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially since I work night shift... so I'm eating ALL night, and a healthy weight, and a lot of my overweight coworkers won't eat because of THIS STUPID MYTH. I'm like "Ummmm... these are the hours you are awake, WHEN are you supposed to eat??? In your sleep???" The things people believe. *sigh* :ohwell:
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    oh and apparently i live under a rock what the hell is a negative calorie food? no doubt a mythical creature of sorts but I've never heard that term until this post

I think they are supposed to be things that take more calories to digest than what they contain.. is that correct, anyone?

I've never really thought much about it, but I thought I heard somone try to argue that once.

I havent looked it up, but I always heard that Celery is at least a calorie neutral. It is virtually calorie free, being mostly water and fiber, and takes quite a bit of work to chew it up, being all stringy and tough.
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    -dairy makes you congested (not true and not scientifically possible)
    While it might not be true for the vast majority, be careful what you say isn't scientifically possible. Food allergies can cause histamine reactions which would increase congestion.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    -dairy makes you congested (not true and not scientifically possible)
    While it might not be true for the vast majority, be careful what you say isn't scientifically possible. Food allergies can cause histamine reactions which would increase congestion.
    Not a myth:
    Babies actually have more alkaline digestive tracts compared to adults, which is why babies can handle dairy

Adults being able to tolerate dairy is supposidly the latest, most recent evolution for humans...but has high genetic variance among races based on how long they have been adapted to an agricultural lifestyle. (Certain african tribes that have raised livestock can handle dairy better than say asians). It's way too gray of a topic to make any conclusions about
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Most recently, negative calories and I have a coworker that swears that drinking water is a waste of time because it makes you retain the water and makes you gain weight.

In the meantime he gulps down sodas all day & eats fast food every day.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    margarine is better for you than butter.

Hate that one
  • sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    "there are starving children in ___________________________so eat your food.".......... WHAT THE HELL DOES ME CLEANING MY PLATE HAVE TO DO WITH THE STARVING CHILDREN OF THE WORLD nothing... they are still hungery and now I'm struggling to lose all those years of "clean your plate".... I actually told my mom once " well then pack up what I don't want and send it to them"

This! I was always told to clean my plate, even at school we weren't allowed to leave until we had cleaned our plate, now I'm 23 years old and always have to clean my plate its like an inbuilt thing. I'm having now to actively think about putting less on my plate, as before I would just keep eating till the plate was empty even though I was in so much discomfort from eating so much. *Sigh* Also having to think about leaving food on my plate if I'm full!
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    "You don't eat beef? How do you get protein?"

... yeah.
  • Xtinaa22
    Xtinaa22 Posts: 3
    Options
    "fruits are bad because they are full of sugar"

DEFINITELY heard this one.. but my mom is also diabetic, and the "doc" told her this bc she needs to bring down her levels..
  • Martyn091
    Martyn091 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Eating cheese before bed means you will have nightmares
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    margarine is 1 molecule away from being plastic.
    No, it isn't.
    Also: Oxygen, water, etc are actually 1 molecule away from something that will kill you.
  • roodledoodle
    roodledoodle Posts: 183
    Options
    'An apple a day keeps the doctor away' Now that would be a cheap health insurance wouldn't it if it worked!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    margarine is 1 molecule away from being plastic.
    No, it isn't.
    Also: Oxygen, water, etc are actually 1 molecule away from something that will kill you.

Another one I love, along the same lines, is Nutrasweet contains/breaks down into antifreeze when digested, or is 1 molecule away, etc....