Women 50+ for October

Options
WELCOME to the thread for Women in their 50’s (or thereabouts). Actually, all women are welcome. We are a group of women who gain support and encouragement from others who are facing some of the same challenges. This has turned out to be a very helpful tool for many. I have met many new friends on this thread. So once again, welcome!

How did you do on your goals for September? What are your goals for the month of October? We can help each other be accountable. Visit daily to encourage and to be encouraged. We’re here for each other.

Replies

• Kanderson47
    Kanderson47 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm 47.....and I want to join.......September was a very bad month for me :grumble: ...so I want to make October a very good month....I want to stick with this and make myself happy.....I feel sooo much better when I exercise and eat better...........I want to say at the end of October that I did it....I do I do.....:smile:
  • Grammymax
    Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Welcome Kanderson. Of course you may join us. It sounds like you wrote what I was thinking ...I feel soooo much better when I exercise and eat healthy too. Let's do this!

Come back often and get encouraged by this wonderful group of ladies.

Esther
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Thanks for starting the thread Ester

I am happy to put September behind me. I did very poorly but I am fighting a few negatives in my life and am pleased to say at least on those, I am winning.
    I will not give up and October will be a better, healthier month for me.

Welcome Kanderson47

I'm not setting goals - just trying to commit to a healthier lifestyle and to continue to face my challenges head-on.

Have a great day all:flowerforyou:

Heather
  • dartboarddiva
    dartboarddiva Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this thread ... :flowerforyou:

I am 50 ... a few months shy of 51. Age is only a number, but the numbers represent common stages in our lives, and unique challenges that we share at different stages. Your 47 might be my 51!

It's Breast Cancer Awareness Month, ladies. Good time to schedule your mammogram if you haven't had one this year.

My goals for October:
    10 pounds
    cardio 35 minutes 4 x week
    strength training 3 x week
    complete Race for the Cure
    Get more calcium
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Big hugs and thank yous to everyone for their support. I will do better!!!
    Welcome to the new ladies, this is a great group, and you will be great additions.
    Prayers for all of us who are suffering, and praise for all of us for not quitting.
    It's a new day in a new month and we can start again! :flowerforyou:
  • Grammymax
    Options
    Heather: Those sound like great goals.

Dartboarddiva: Welcome. Glad to have you join us.

Alice: A new month is here! We can do this!

I'll be gone for about 3 weeks in October. A niece is getting married in California on the 17th and then I return from that trip and have a day to get ready to leave for Arizona to see our kids.

Have a great day everyone.
    Esther
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,987 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Welcome to the new members. This thread and MFP changed my life. I hope the same thing will happen for you.

I did well on some and failed miserably on others of my September goals but my resolve is still firm. I'm leaving in a few minutes for a long weekend trip. I've packed some of my food but will be unable to sidestep restaurants.at several meals.:sad: :explode: Thank you to all of you who have shared your tips about eating in restaurants. You will be in my brain as I read the menu.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: to those of you with health challenges---self and family---I hope you find a stress relieving strategy (yoga, breathing, prayer, meditation, etc.) so that you can be of maximum service to yourself and those around you and not roadblock your path to weight loss.

I may or may not be able to check in this weekend.
    hugs to all:heart:
    Barbie
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Esther take it easy on your back remember we're in this for the long haul for health not just weight loss.
    I hope you and Barbie enjoy your respective trips, I am sure you will both do fine. Keep laughing!!

Alice
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    As I posted at the end of the September thread, for the first time ever, I exceeded my monthly goals.

OCTOBER GOALS:
    :drinker: Drink at least 88 ounces of water every single day.
    :wink: Stay within my calorie and carb limits.
    :tongue: Lift weights twice a week for at least 45 minutes
    :wink: Do aerobic exercise at least 50 minutes every day.
    :love: Lose 1" in all the different places I measure
    :love: Lose at least 4 pounds
    :grumble: Stop preaching to my husband about his unhealthy choices.

SURE enjoyed that scrambled egg this morning at breakfast! :happy: So far I am 1/3 of the way there on my water, and have done my strength training for the day. I'm making a yummy cabbage stew for supper.

:flowerforyou: I've decided that I need to find more opportunities to sing. Cuz when I'm singing, or about to sing, food doesn't even enter my mind. Honestly, you can't tell it by looking at me, but I'd rather sing than eat!
  • Lianne95519
    Lianne95519 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Just posting to pick up the October thread.

Lianne
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thanks Esther for the new October thread.:happy:
    Sounds like you've had a real tough month with your back:frown: Please be careful ! Three weeks!!!:noway: :noway:

:ohwell: I also had a problem with exercise in Sept and miss my treadmill, but I will be patient until my back is ready for that activity:ohwell: I did lose 7 Lbs in September which I was very happy about!:happy: I've lost 15 lbs since Aug 14th and I can't believe the difference it makes in my clothes!! I actually have a lot more choices than I did 6 weeks ago!!!:blushing: :blushing:

:bigsmile: Kanderson: Welcome! You can do whatever you set your mind to.:wink: Think of the little train that said, "I know I can, I know I can, I know I can....." :laugh: :laugh:

:wink: Heather: One day at a time. That's all we can do. And if, in September, you made efforts to keep picking yourself up....then it wasn't a bad month.....you did what you could:bigsmile: Here's to an even better October!!!:flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: Dartboarddiva: Welcome and good luck!!!! You are right about having a mammogram. I am having one next week!!:happy:

:flowerforyou: Alice: Here's to a new beginning!!!:happy: :happy: :happy:

:flowerforyou: Barbie: You'll do just fine eating out! With your sound and discipline behavior...how can you fail!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

:happy: Susan Those are noble goals! Good luck!!!
    In my family, we are all singers and love music more than anything else!! My husband kids about how....even our sewing machine in a singer:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Lianne: Good luck in your October journey!

As we all step into this month, let us resolve to be as positive as we can and just try as much as we can, and the rest will fall into place. :happy:

BirdieM:smooched:
  • dartboarddiva
    Options
    Hey suezzzque,

I would love the recipe for that cabbage stew!
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Hey suezzzque,

I would love the recipe for that cabbage stew!

I'll post it here and on the recipe thread (once I figure out exactly how many calories is in it.) This recipe fills my crock pot.

CABBAGE STEW

1 lb lean beef cut into 1" chunks (I use arm roast)
    1/2 medium onion, sliced
    1 large carrot, sliced
    1/4 head of shredded cabbage
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp ginger
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1 Tbsp worchestire sauce
    small can reduced sodium V-8
    water

Note: if you steam the cabbage first, it won't stink up your house.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    My goals for Sept. were to complete Bike MS: Waves to Wine, which I did, and to swim 2x a week, which I did not. I also didn't raise all the money I wanted to for Waves to Wine. But I came close! :happy:

For the swimming, I only missed one scheduled workout, but that's only because yesterday's was cancelled for a polo game (It was son's 18 b'day so I wouldn't have been there anyway.) and because my triathlon coach didn't schedule me for 2 swims a week.

I think I swam 5x all month. Not good.

I'm not sure what my goals are for Oct.

I will be doing my first Half Marathon this weekend and I'm a bit scared about it. I would love to complete it in 2 hours, but I think 2.5 is more likely.

I'm also doing a SuperSprint in San Diego and I want to go under an hour for that one and also get on the podium. I can't really control the whole "podium" thing though. But I think I'll at least be in the ball park.

Then we have the biggie at the end of the month: my first Half-Ironman! I think my goal for that is to finish before the cutoff. :laugh: I'd love to do it in 7 hours, but I'm not sure how realistic that is. It depends on how strong the wind is during the swim and bike ride. The bike route is up the coast and the wind can range from dead calm to 20 mph head winds! If it's dead calm, I'll finish in 3:44. If there are strong headwinds, like there were the last time I biked it, it could be as long as 4:30!

My real, unstated goal every month is to not regain any of the weight I've lost, of course. :wink:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    :blushing: Oops! Forgot to list an important ingredient - a can of rotel. Here's ALL the ingredients:

CABBAGE STEW

1 lb lean beef cut into 1" chunks (I use arm roast)
    1/2 medium onion, sliced
    1 large carrot, sliced
    1/4 head of shredded cabbage
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp ginger
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1 Tbsp worchestire sauce
    small can reduced sodium V-8
    Can Rotel tomatoes n peppers
    salt to taste
    water

Note: if you steam the cabbage first, it won't stink up your house.
  • Grammymax
    Options

I will be doing my first Half Marathon this weekend and I'm a bit scared about it. I would love to complete it in 2 hours, but I think 2.5 is more likely.

I'm also doing a SuperSprint in San Diego and I want to go under an hour for that one and also get on the podium. I can't really control the whole "podium" thing though. But I think I'll at least be in the ball park.

Then we have the biggie at the end of the month: my first Half-Ironman! I think my goal for that is to finish before the cutoff. :laugh: I'd love to do it in 7 hours, but I'm not sure how realistic that is. It depends on how strong the wind is during the swim and bike ride. The bike route is up the coast and the wind can range from dead calm to 20 mph head winds! If it's dead calm, I'll finish in 3:44. If there are strong headwinds, like there were the last time I biked it, it could be as long as 4:30!

My real, unstated goal every month is to not regain any of the weight I've lost, of course. :wink:
  • Grammymax
    Options

Well, I was typing away and it took off without me!!! As I was saying, I admire people who enjoy running. I WANT to enjoy it but I don't. I'm thinking of trying the "couch potato to 5K" but I'm afraid I'll fail. So, until I get that thought out of my mind ...I better not start :laugh:

I've spent the last 3 days picking and juicing concord grapes. I've made juice and jelly and now am DONE! Yeah. I've taken heating pad breaks in between canners so that kept me going. Now the cleanup!! uggggghhhhh.
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies,
    Thanks for the October post Esther. Welcome newcomers. We love having you. You will love this site and this thread. For those travelling be safe and have fun. I need to plan a trip. It has been since June that I have been on a trip and it is long overdue. Congrats to those who met their Sept goals. For the rest of us we just need to keep going. I did great on food today. Just came back from walking with daughter and niece. 70 min. 484 calories. Have to keep that pregnant girl from getting too fat. LOL.. Just found out that next door neighbor's grandson got killed in car accident early thismorning. He was in his late 20's I think. So sad. Need to go finish mowing lawn from yesterday and think of something for supper that is good for me. Talk to you later.
    Vicki M
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello all new members! Welcome.

Hello to all of us old timers who have already found the October thread and started posting.

I did terrible for September and really want to get back on track. I lost no weight, but my measurements did go down a little.

Yesterday and today I worked a conference all day for the medical center I work for. I am so tired and went (way) over:frown: both days. There was really nothing I could do but eat what they served. We were a trapped audience. lol.

Goals for October: loose 3.2 pounds. Increase my cardio time and get back to strength training twice a week.

Jeannie
  • dartboarddiva
    Options
    Thanks! I am going to make this soon!