whats the worst "food myth" you have heard?

Options

Replies

• da_sammit
    da_sammit Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    bacon pringles are actually vegetarian. says so on the package :P
  • ddemonch
    ddemonch Posts: 16
    Options
    Eating late at night takes the absorbed food and turns it directly into fat which is why you shouldn't eat after 7pm.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

So thats not true? haha
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Being told growing up that I needed to sit up straight and use my knife and fork properly so when the queen cam to dinner, I wouldn't embarrass the family... b!tch never came :sad:

did you tell her she could have the pudding with out eating her steak?
  • sarahreischel
    Options
    This girl tried to tell me that white rice was better than brown rice because brown rice causes cancer. I laughed in her face.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Vegan eating is healthy.

oreos are vegan.
    just sayin':wink: ANY vegan/vegetarian/omnivore/whatever lifestyle can be healthy OR NOT healthy depending on what that person eats...I agree with you that blanket statements like "vegan is healthy" are a pile of crap

All my favorites have already been said...

Oh, I can add "anything Dr. Oz EVER said."

Oreos aren't vegan.

Which of the following ingredients makes it not vegetarian?

SUGAR, ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE {VITAMIN B1}, RIBOFLAVIN {VITAMIN B2}, FOLIC ACID), HIGH OLEIC CANOLA OIL AND/OR PALM OIL AND/OR CANOLA OIL, AND/OR SOYBEAN OIL, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CORNSTARCH, LEAVENING (BAKING SODA AND/OR CALCIUM PHOSPHATE), SALT, SOY LECITHIN (EMULSIFIER), VANILLIN - AN ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, CHOCOLATE. CONTAINS: WHEAT, SOY.
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Oreos sold in the EU and abroad are NOT vegan. They contain whey powder.

http://www.oreo.eu/oreo/page?siteid=oreo-prd&locale=uken1&PagecRef=633#ans07

Amen to all the "taters are bad" reports. It's dumb what people will demonize.

Recently I overheard a woman telling another woman that organic vegetables had less calories, so you could eat more of them.

I'm tired of the eat Jello for nice nails trope.
  • beautifulblac84
    Options
    Being told growing up that I needed to sit up straight and use my knife and fork properly so when the queen cam to dinner, I wouldn't embarrass the family... b!tch never came :sad:
    lmao :laugh:
  • Xia21
    Xia21 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Lol
  • Neahpata
    Neahpata Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    "You won't lose any weight eating bananas".

^ Yes loser I've lost 65lb and have had a banana basically every day since I started.

I also have a friend who refuses to eat more than 5g per fat a day because she believes that is key to losing weight.

I had a friend tell me that her trainer told her that bananas would make you fat.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    When people ask me what I'm doing and I say the key for me has been to keep the sodium under 2000 and the calories come down naturally (for me at least) they immediately respond with "well I hardly ever salt my food, so I don't have a problem like that." I've given up trying to then explain the evils of processed food and eating out a LOT and all the sodium packed into those. Oh well. I've got my own battles to fight with myself --- without starting any with friends or family members.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    On the whole butter vs margarine...
    Butter is usually better because it's mostly saturated fat (raises both good and bad cholesterol) whereas most margarine is made with a high proportion of vegetable oils rich in polyunsaturated fat (only raises bad cholesterol). You can dress margarine up with added omega 3s or olive oil, but still, it's mostly PUFA and bad as far as cholesterol production goes.
    I still prefer coconut oil of butter just because of taste
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    peeking through my window and seeing me shirtless spoon slaping flight of the bumblee will cause you to go blind

I believe this one is actually true, but dying laughing is the biggest danger. I keep my blinds closed for fear the neighbors will go blind from seeing me dance around the house in various states of undress. Also, they'd go insane, and also they'd go call the police. :laugh:

As far as food myths go: Every single thing anyone ever said to me about losing weight that wasn't centered on calories in vs calories out is now suspect, yet calories in vs calories out has also failed me at times. Like when I eat too few calories and stop losing weight.

But probably the silliest one I heard most often was the no eating four hours before bed. Although it does tend to make the scale behave better in the morning, which might be where the myth originated.
  • LFiestan
    LFiestan Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    "Fish fat is high in cholesterol so dont eat it!"

i love eating fish, and when i was little i would always eat the fish's belly fat (esp from milkfish) my mom would always tell me its bad for my health because its HIGH in CHOLESTEROL...same goes for Avocados which were my faves too.

As it turns out, ive been eating right all along..lol...when she learned that its all good cholesterol she now encourages everyone to eat their fish fat and buy avocados.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Eat breakfast to stoke the metabolic fire!

Total BS!
  • LFiestan
    LFiestan Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    "there are starving children in ___________________________so eat your food.".......... WHAT THE HELL DOES ME CLEANING MY PLATE HAVE TO DO WITH THE STARVING CHILDREN OF THE WORLD nothing... they are still hungery and now I'm struggling to lose all those years of "clean your plate".... I actually told my mom once " well then pack up what I don't want and send it to them"

Then my daddy slapped the **** outta me.

yea! my parents and uncles would say this to me too.
  • HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options
    Drink great fruit in the morning will make you burn fat all day lond. Bullsh*t. :noway:
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Drink great fruit in the morning will make you burn fat all day lond. Bullsh*t. :noway:

Um, grapefruit?
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    That "organic" food "doesn't have chemicals".
  • fatmom51
    fatmom51 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    That eating too much sugar will CAUSE diabetes. (I already know that diabetics can't eat sugar unchecked without suffering major health issues.)

That you must drink water completely plain or it doesn't count. (I worked with a woman who sold products from one of those so-called "health" food and supplement companies who told me this. For example, if I mixed 8 oz. of water with 8 oz. of orange juice, it didn't count, but if I drank each glass separately -- even one right after the other -- it did count. As if the two liquids have to be drunk separately for my body to figure out it's getting hydrated.)

Muscles will turn to fat or fat will turn into muscle. (And the corollary that muscle weighs more than fat. The reality is that muscles take up less space and looks better under your skin.)
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    This whole thread is hilarious. I love that a lot of these contradict each other.

My favorite myth, which has been mentioned a few times already, is that eating fat makes you fat. My diet is 50% fat and I've never looked or felt better.