Looking for Feminist Friends

Options

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    mmmmm im going to dance to queen , under pressure. Kathy dances off doing Freddie mercury impression.

Lol...you are a sweet lady with a kind heart.

:flowerforyou:
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Count me in
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I think Chris is fighting fire with fire.

If the jokes were as innocuous as Ray's comment about washing dishes...I, as a Christian, wouldn't see a problem with it <shrug>

I could give a rip about that stupid joke. What came later was just for the purpose of being insulting and rude for no purpose at all, except for to keep me busy when I can't sleep anyway. Either way, I am out. But don't you all quit building those straw men and grinding those axes.
  • subtractionproject
    subtractionproject Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    To the OP: I'm adding you! Sorry your thread got hijacked.

Man, this whole thing was upsetting to read. I'm sorry everyone thinks feminism is a nasty word around here.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

If the jokes were as innocuous as Ray's comment about washing dishes...I, as a Christian, wouldn't see a problem with it <shrug>

I could give a rip about that stupid joke. What came later was just for the purpose of being insulting and rude for no purpose at all, except for to keep me busy when I can't sleep anyway. Either way, I am out. But don't you all quit building those straw men and grinding those axes.

i've just spent a while reading through this thread from the beginning. all i can say is 'wow'.
    i always thought i had a bit of a feminist streak in me, but now i'm going to deny it!
    i did not, at any point in time, think that to be a feminist you had to have your humour gland removed.
    there was nothing in here (IMHO) that could be deemed offensive, derogatory or insulting. why can't you be feminist and have a laugh too? or is it only ok to laugh at the stereotypical jokes about men?

i am now defining myself as an 'equal rights' person.

again, just wow.

wow.
  • subtractionproject
    Options

i've just spent a while reading through this thread from the beginning. all i can say is 'wow'.
    i always thought i had a bit of a feminist streak in me, but now i'm going to deny it!
    i did not, at any point in time, think that to be a feminist you had to have your humour gland removed.
    there was nothing in here (IMHO) that could be deemed offensive, derogatory or insulting. why can't you be feminist and have a laugh too? or is it only ok to laugh at the stereotypical jokes about men?

again, just wow.

wow.

Wow, you saw NOTHING offensive? I don't think anyone was laughing because it generally wasn't funny.

I actually recall someone saying that instead of fighting for contraception, cis women should "close their legs". You don't think that shaming one group people for having sex for pleasure isn't just a little bit insulting?

I wish I found sandwich jokes funny though, for real. I'd never stop laughing. Stop acting like we're the ones with no sense of humour, because quite frankly, you'd be thrown out of every comedy club on the planet.
  • skoshness
    skoshness Posts: 175
    Options
    feminist here with a great sense of humour, happy to accept new friends :smile:
  • ladykat2330
    ladykat2330 Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm a lefty liberal type, if you want to add me your very welcome! Don't worry about the trolls on your tread they all have way to much time on there hands. If they actually had a purpose in life they wouldn't feel so insecure and feel the need (and wouldn't have time) to come on here and slag you off.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I love feminists! No-one does dishes and laundry as well as a feminist!!

NOT FUNNY

NOT FUNNY AT ALL. PATHETIC.
  • shilpasriram
    Options
    HI good to hear from....

I am 26 year old married girl lokking to shred some 10 kgs.

I need your support , and friendship so that we both can reach target together.
  • SuperSneaky
    SuperSneaky Posts: 43
    Options
    Add me! I want to lose weight not out of self-hatred produced by the "ideal" body type, but I believe true feminism rests in being your healthiest, strongest self; not necessarily attached to your size.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options

NOT FUNNY

Seriously... GROW UP!

If you have taken the time to read through the rest of my posts (and others) on here, you wouldn't respond so flippantly. I think the majority here wouldn't label me as the pathetic one.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    So, I'm just going to mostly ignore the entire debate on the forum and say -- I identify as a "feminist" to people who are sensitive and subtle enough to appreciate the difference between being feminist and being misandrist (as most dissenters on this thread appear to be missing). I used to even be okay with the "radical feminist" label until I realized the outdated, first-wave transphobia endemic to the movement.

And yes, people, feminism has waves... and even within the waves, there is plenty of disagreement. So anyone who says "I dislike 'feminism' because it is x, y, or z" is already kind of working from a flawed assumption, because there is no single, Official Definition of Feminism.

As for the relationship between weight loss and feminism, I always find it interesting that I tend to begin weight loss projects from a place of insecurity, but so long as I am serious about the exercise side of things, any body image issues get sort of transvaluated, because the sense of athletic achievement you get from training hard is just so ****ing amazing.

Adding you now! :)

Pretty much ditto to all this :)

I'm a stay at home wife- feminist- lefty- goofy- christian- MSTie- Eating to fuel weight loss- lady. Feel free to add me if you want to, folks.
  • subtractionproject
    Options

NOT FUNNY

Seriously... GROW UP!

If you have taken the time to read through the rest of my posts (and others) on here, you wouldn't respond so flippantly. I think the majority here wouldn't label me as the pathetic one.

I read through all your posts. Your comments have been extremely patronising throughout the whole conversation.
  • April4th
    April4th Posts: 140 Member
    Options

again, just wow.

wow.

Wow, you saw NOTHING offensive? I don't think anyone was laughing because it generally wasn't funny.

I actually recall someone saying that instead of fighting for contraception, cis women should "close their legs". You don't think that shaming one group people for having sex for pleasure isn't just a little bit insulting?

I wish I found sandwich jokes funny though, for real. I'd never stop laughing. Stop acting like we're the ones with no sense of humour, because quite frankly, you'd be thrown out of every comedy club on the planet.

I saw nothing offensive either. This is one of the things I see as a problem with feminism as a whole--a man makes a joke, perhaps one about stereotypical womanhood, and they're immediately labeled as pathetic, hateful, patriarchal, etc. A woman makes a joke about stereotypical men, and she's held up as a freedom fighter, hero, champion of the oppressed.

I guess I'm an anti-feminist then. I loved being married and all the things that came with it. When we divorced, I floundered for a bit, unsure of what was to come. But I prevailed. I kept though house we'd just bought against all odds, decided to stay her and make my way, etc. I consider myself to be a strong, reasonably confident woman.
  • Dagoth
    Dagoth Posts: 172
    Options
    Not going to bother reading anything other than the first post, but this is a troll thread right?
  • subtractionproject
    Options

I saw nothing offensive either. This is one of the things I see as a problem with feminism as a whole--a man makes a joke, perhaps one about stereotypical womanhood, and they're immediately labeled as pathetic, hateful, patriarchal, etc. A woman makes a joke about stereotypical men, and she's held up as a freedom fighter, hero, champion of the oppressed.

I guess I'm an anti-feminist then. I loved being married and all the things that came with it. When we divorced, I floundered for a bit, unsure of what was to come. But I prevailed. I kept though house we'd just bought against all odds, decided to stay her and make my way, etc. I consider myself to be a strong, reasonably confident woman.

Certainly there's a problem in the feminist community with generalised comments about what 'men' do. I think the lesson here is that nobody should generalise at all.

My issue is that I'm sick of being told I have no sense of humour, when the jokes I'm supposed to be rolling around in hysterics at, just suck.

And being married doesn't mean you can't be a feminist, fgs.
  • April4th
    April4th Posts: 140 Member
    Options

And being married doesn't mean you can't be a feminist, fgs.

And I certainly didn't say it did. Should I also add the snarky "fgs" at the end?
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I would be your friend but my husband says I cant
  • Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Let's all get along and become stronger and healthier together. We are all mebers of MFP to achieve the same goal.
    Get and stay fit!
This discussion has been closed.