Guys can never be right can they??

Options

Replies

• sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    This is the 2nd time I have used this graphic on these boards tonight lol...for shame.

funny-pictures-fighting-jerry-springer-cats.jpg

Hold on, was that sexist? MY BAD lol
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Chris. I'm torn on that last one about tecognizing she disnt mean it that way. The part of me that wants acceptance here wants to agree with you. The part of me that wonders if I just overreact because I have seen horrible things wants to agree with you. But part of me feels that if no one ever says anything, than the status quo will never change. No, I don't want to hurt OPs feelings. I just want to point out that these stereotypes are outta date, harmful, and to some extent wrong. I would do the same for racism, homophobia, etc. is it my agenda? Yes- as is getting fit, making friends, having fun. I don't mean to make the comvo about me as much as I just want to drop a red flag, have people recognize it, then have "game on" again back to the subject. Those little red flags are all I got and I will use them until one year of my life passes without one of my friends being raled, beaten, or telling me they were sexually abused as children. That's kinda how it is. I gotta put up a fight. It comes from a place of love.

But the thing is...they're only out of date and harmful..from the place you come from (which I totally respect!!). From where I come from, they are loving, humorous, affectionate pokes at who we are (and trust me...these stereotypes aren't far wrong when you take a large cross section of the populace into account). It's not right to be able to take that from someone...that...bonding in a way, because of your (plural) past. And again don't misunderstand...I feel for your (specific) past, and I feel for those that go through the same things. My sons mother is borderline personality disorder. This was caused by her father passing away at age 2, her mother trying to suffocate her to death, her mother allowing her brother to rape her repeatedly without consequence, in fact...denying it happened despite the evidence...so many things. Because of this...she's lost her children. THEY have lost their MOTHER. I HATE the things that you hate...I would give my life...for her to have had a normal childhood, for her to raise our children playing the part she was meant to...even if it meant I were gone.

But this thread...the OP's part in it...my part in it...this is how we interact in a loving, caring way. There is no harm in this. It doesn't perpetuate anything...because we all know...each one of us, that they are simple stereotypes.

Sorry to bring this to such a serious place...but I think it's important for you to know that there's a difference between maliciousness...between hating, and shaming, and holding someone down...and playing on things that we all know are only partially true.

I hope that makes sense, and that you don't feel I'm discounting your position...I'm not.
  • ScientistStudy
    ScientistStudy Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    See now I don't agree with that, me and my other half are the opposite. He would never admit to being wrong about something, he would argue until he was blue in the face, and even if he knows in the back of him mind that he's wrong, he will still say he's right!
    To be fair, he's usually right >_<
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    See now I don't agree with that, me and my other half are the opposite. He would never admit to being wrong about something, he would argue until he was blue in the face, and even if he knows in the back of him mind that he's wrong, he will still say he's right!
    To be fair, he's usually right >_<

That's the joy of stereotypes lol...half of it is poking fun at those that fit them, even though they shouldn't =p.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Chris,

Then let us agree to disagree. My world is different than yours. If it were like yours, it'd probably be a lot prettier.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Chris,

Then let us agree to disagree. My world is different than yours. If it were like yours, it'd probably be a lot prettier.

Its like watching Ally Mcbeal finally getting settled and married. Its just so unexpected and against her nature. What would ever entertain us now? I'm worried and scared at the same time
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Chris,

I'm always willing to agree to disagree...and it might be prettier...in ways. There's ugly everywhere...and beauty too. Look at yourself. You're a good person...and you should know that I recognize that, and respect it. So even if your slice of this world is ugly...or uglier, or whatever you may feel...it still has its own beauty for you being in it.

Think of how happy that dog is :).

:flowerforyou:
  • anima_gemella
    anima_gemella Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    LOVE this !!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    LOVE this !!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Which part pretty girl? There's got to be at least a dozen topics up in here lol.
  • sweetchildomine
    Options

Its like watching Ally Mcbeal finally getting settled and married. Its just so unexpected and against her nature. What would ever entertain us now? I'm worried and scared at the same time

This is probably the best thing I have read all night hahahahahaha.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

I'm just surprised at 28 that he's old enough to appreciate who Ally McBeal was lol.
  • taunto
    Options

I'm just surprised at 28 that he's old enough to appreciate who Ally McBeal was lol.

In the motherland we didn't had many channels :'(
  • sweetchildomine
    Options

lol I'm only 24 and I've seen every episode!! Well, I watched it way after it was off the air...but still haha
  • Starrynights1107
    Starrynights1107 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Chris,

I'm always willing to agree to disagree...and it might be prettier...in ways. There's ugly everywhere...and beauty too. Look at yourself. You're a good person...and you should know that I recognize that, and respect it. So even if your slice of this world is ugly...or uglier, or whatever you may feel...it still has its own beauty for you being in it.

Think of how happy that dog is :).

:flowerforyou:

The whole time I've been lurking, I've been with Epi since her original response bc I understood but these two are by far my fave two posts in this thread :)
  • AmericanExpat
    AmericanExpat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    For me, that's not the case. I don't try to insist that you're not allowed to feel differently than I do but I'm trying to get our voice in - to consider same sex couples in this sort of a thread. We're still being looked down upon because generally, we're still not as accepted as we would like. I'm not trying to troll and I'm genuinely sorry if I have given you such an impression. Peace & love :)

I don't think anybody is looking down, I think its just hard for us to reflect on something that we don't understand or have never experienced. IMHO OP was just reflecting on her own relationships.
  • oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! What a thread!! :noway: :bigsmile:

Just wish i had enough calories left for popcorn and peanut M&Ms :laugh: :drinker:

Think i might need to check out the chit chat, fun and games ( boy does this thread give fun and games a new meaning ROFL) more often! I only stumbled on this thread because it came up in the recent forum topics LOL

CaitlinPatton your first post came from a pure and kind place regardless of any stereotypes people saw.
    The whole politically correct thing is so far gone, its really quite sad! It's pretty much impossible to make a statement without offending someone these days.
    I guess that's what happened when common sense died :huh:
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Chris. I'm torn on that last one about tecognizing she disnt mean it that way. The part of me that wants acceptance here wants to agree with you. The part of me that wonders if I just overreact because I have seen horrible things wants to agree with you. But part of me feels that if no one ever says anything, than the status quo will never change. No, I don't want to hurt OPs feelings. I just want to point out that these stereotypes are outta date, harmful, and to some extent wrong. I would do the same for racism, homophobia, etc. is it my agenda? Yes- as is getting fit, making friends, having fun. I don't mean to make the comvo about me as much as I just want to drop a red flag, have people recognize it, then have "game on" again back to the subject. Those little red flags are all I got and I will use them until one year of my life passes without one of my friends being raled, beaten, or telling me they were sexually abused as children. That's kinda how it is. I gotta put up a fight. It comes from a place of love.

But the thing is...they're only out of date and harmful..from the place you come from (which I totally respect!!). From where I come from, they are loving, humorous, affectionate pokes at who we are (and trust me...these stereotypes aren't far wrong when you take a large cross section of the populace into account). It's not right to be able to take that from someone...that...bonding in a way, because of your (plural) past. And again don't misunderstand...I feel for your (specific) past, and I feel for those that go through the same things. My sons mother is borderline personality disorder. This was caused by her father passing away at age 2, her mother trying to suffocate her to death, her mother allowing her brother to rape her repeatedly without consequence, in fact...denying it happened despite the evidence...so many things. Because of this...she's lost her children. THEY have lost their MOTHER. I HATE the things that you hate...I would give my life...for her to have had a normal childhood, for her to raise our children playing the part she was meant to...even if it meant I were gone.

But this thread...the OP's part in it...my part in it...this is how we interact in a loving, caring way. There is no harm in this. It doesn't perpetuate anything...because we all know...each one of us, that they are simple stereotypes.

Sorry to bring this to such a serious place...but I think it's important for you to know that there's a difference between maliciousness...between hating, and shaming, and holding someone down...and playing on things that we all know are only partially true.

I hope that makes sense, and that you don't feel I'm discounting your position...I'm not.

Oh man, I try never to post on these types of threads - Don't. Get. Sucked. In! I'm laughing at myself, but here goes, anyway.

I think the OP was simply trying to say that she had a realization about taking her partner for granted and wanted to share that insight. Where she went sideways a bit, IMHO, was that she took her personal experience and pushed it out to people in general and took her personal experience to be universally true for couples. Perhaps unknowingly or perhaps she's seen her experience repeated in other relationships around her. So, while I agree with her basic message about appreciating your partner, I did roll my eyes and wrinkle my nose at her stereotypes. 'Cause, I really can't relate to any of the supposed truths she put forth.

The reason I'm even responding, is the exchange I quoted above. I find the whole topic of stereotypes interesting and maddening at the same time.

I propose that people for whom stereotypes feel familiar and comfortable (because they naturally do fit the stereotype) - are inclined to see them as heart-warming or funny or something along these lines.

People who have struggled all their lives because they don't fit stereotypes at all and can't relate to them, find them frustrating, hurtful, ridiculous, and at times, damaging (I put myself in this category).

I think everyone should think about stereotypes and what they perpetuate and why. And, we should all realize that people are individuals with unique experiences - not statistics or stereotypes.

And back to the OP: I get your message about recognizing those things our partners do to make our lives better, I just don't agree/relate with/to your particular examples.

And...I'm out!
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I've read this thread from front to back and all i can say is....OMG!
  • taunto
    Options

Admittedly the best part of me was when I got proven right in my original reply to this thread. I am so proud of myself that I might give myself a cookie and a doggie treat!
    Sorry you're on the wrong board. MFP only caters to man-hating threads. Try askmen.com or something
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options

Admittedly the best part of me was when I got proven right in my original reply to this thread. I am so proud of myself that I might give myself a cookie and a doggie treat!
    Sorry you're on the wrong board. MFP only caters to man-hating threads. Try askmen.com or something

Here's a gold star for you, too.

goldstar.jpg
This discussion has been closed.