Greek Yogart - how do you eat this stuff?!?

Options

Replies

• MaryRegs
    MaryRegs Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    take it from a Greek girl, whose YiaYia (grandmother in Greek) used to make yogurt....mix in honey and either chopped walnuts or pecans-delish!!
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I use whatever my store has hahaha usually Oikos or this other one my boyfriend has been getting that I can't remember the name of and then just the PC brand one.

I usually put a wee bit of honey in it (like, a teaspoon), fruit and granola and mix it all up. But then again, I LIKE the texture and taste of the plain yogurt...
  • saraichka
    saraichka Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love the Fage that you picked up, and I add two splenda and two crystalized REAL LEMON packets. YUMMY!!!!
  • sophiegrace543
    sophiegrace543 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I quite like the taste normally but I also like it with honey and fruit.
    Maybe it's just not your thing?
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    wow you dont like it?????? I love it au natural or with honey, or with honey and flaked almonds - heaven in your gob x
  • ShanniLee
    ShanniLee Posts: 69
    Options
    I like to add spices to it and use it as a chip dip :))))

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Garlic-and-Herb-Yogurt-Dip-MyRecipes-265353
    (check that one out)

Def gotta try this!!! :)
  • melissachipman123
    Options
    I make smoothies with it 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, 5 strawberrys, 1 cup spinach (you don't taste the spinach) and a Fiji apple, and a apple banana. Then about 10 ice cubes. Yummy!
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I buy the big container of plain Greek yougart. Open up the package, pour off the liquid.. stir it up until its creamy and then eat if just the way it is!!!

I like it....... I eat 4-8 ounces a day plain!!!
  • healthystartgirl
    Options
    Jam or jelly!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I've just gotten into this stuff myself. I started out with the Chobani strawberry fruit on the bottom. Once I got past the texture (VERY thick) it wasn't too bad! Today I tried the plain with honey mixed in. It was edible...but I think I need to play with the amounts. I think it's a texture thing honestly. The plain is AWESOME as a sour cream substitute! :)
  • Mrs_Zagyi
    Mrs_Zagyi Posts: 5
    Options
    I am not sure what brand you are buying but I think you dislike the tart taste. I like Oikos and Fage because they are thick and tart. But, Trader Joe's brand is thinner and much less tart. I think that might appeal to you. Splenda is a good idea too.

I like it with F-Factor Skinnies cereal with berries. It is high protein and high fiber and it keeps me full.

Splenda is bad.
    I totally agree on Splenda being bad. Try agave nectar - the amber, not the light, if you want to sweeten it up a bit.
  • amandamotley
    Options
    I take it to work for snacks often. Try this. The night before, put it in a container (tupperware or whatever) with sliced frozen or fresh fruit. By the time you're ready to eat it the next day the yogurt will have taken on a lot of the fruity flavor. Works especially well with frozen raspberries. Stir it up and it's all pink and delicious.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Some taste better than others!
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    I mix it with fruit and granola usually. I also use it (the plain kind) instead of mayo and sour cream in various dishes. You might try a different brand. I like Chobani if I am just going to eat it straight out...the pineapple flavor is delicious!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know which brand you tried. I've been thinking about switching over from my beloved Yoplait light(strawberry and very cherry are my faves). I know the Greek version is better for me, but I've heard friends talk about the taste, so I've been hesitant.

For anyone: What brand would you recommend, knowing how much I love, love, love the above mentioned regular yogurts? I don't mind the tart taste, but it has to taste good or it will waste away in my fridge. ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGH0B1iunfn7MkRq2AIMAhr21QkOvpSrUoMZK3Kw2qtKYEdBb2
    ^ This is the stuff I got
    That's the stuff you should have.
  • lessele
    lessele Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love it! Chobani makes a good one...I eat it almost every day! Buy the fruit ones or mix the non-fat plain with bananas or a little honey::glasses:
  • s_wilson84
    s_wilson84 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    with a spoon
  • bookgurl16
    bookgurl16 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just love the texture of Greek yogurt and I love how it keeps me full for a long time, but it sure is tart. I agree that you get used to it and it becomes an acquired taste. However I really don't like the flavor of agave syrup or honey and so you won't see me suggesting it here and maybe this makes my post unique.

I like it with a really good strawberry jam to stir in. I also like it with a little bit of sugar or splenda and some vanilla or almond extract. I realize this is added sugar but if you are controlling the amount you add, you may be surprised at how little you will need to add. I have come to prefer my own sweetened yogurt to what you can buy commercially. I like the chocolate protein powder idea, too.

You can also treat it like a veggie dip by adding some spices as other people have indicated. The cool thing about this is the object is to eat lots of it instead of eating it so sparingly--as you usually would those higher fat dips like Ranch or even hummus.
  • 2012x
    2012x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Love fage

I use 100g with 2 tsp of mint sauce (some times a dash lemon or spices) perfect dip to eat with chicken/turkey.
    I use it in wholemeat pancakes, in cakes/cookies.
    Im about make a cheesecake with it.
  • Super_Dave_32
    Options
    Plain Greek yogurt puts the "smooth" in my smoothies. Can't eat it by itself, but combining it with berries, protein powder and a dab of peanut butter or raw honey hits the spot.