Fat Acceptance

Options

Replies

• loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    It disgusts me that these people actually try to discourage others from losing weight. It's one thing to accept your own body. If you like being fat, then so be it. But do not try to influence others to stop dieting if they want to become healthier. I've read around some FA blogs, and a lot of them seem to think that other people should change to suit fat people's needs. Selfish and ridiculous.
    +1
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It's really none of my ****ing business how someone else treats their body. If they want to know my opinion they will ask for it. Otherwise they are just my friends, peers, co-workers etc.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    This was not my first introduction to Fat Acceptance.
    This site was my first introduction: http://kateharding.net/
    This blog post changed my life: http://kateharding.net/2007/11/27/the-fantasy-of-being-thin/
    How you ask? After dieting (yo-yo-ing.. really BAD dieting. Pills. Laxatives. Occasional purging. Days of lettuce). I found myself steadily, slowly gaining weight. I had been heavy in my early teens, but after one big weight loss (at 13-14), I yo-yo-ed in the healthy BMI. I also think because I never made it to "underweight." No one, other than my parents, a boyfriend and my pediatrician was ever concerned about this behavior. I received all praise for weight loss, no one looked to see how I accomplished it.

When I started gaining (after taking Depo Provera).... I dieted, I ran, I gained. I dieted MORE, I tried the laxatives again (even though I had quit those after reading about possibly health problems), you can't get Ephedra anymore, so the over the counter pills didn't work. At under 1,000 cals a day (mostly WELL under), I ate LESS.
    I hated myself. I cried, I went to the Dr - no help there (offered prescription diet pills). Some part of me KNEW what I was doing was wrong, and unhealthy, so I literally took my records and left.
    Went to another Dr. She had me write down what I ate every day. She looked at it and said "You aren't eating enough." She gave me a meal plan, made me promise to follow it, told me I would gain, but the gain would stop. I did as she said, and she was right.
    Then, I got ANGRY -- I could eat 3 times as much as I had before, and NOT gain weight, but I couldn't LOSE.
    I would still slip and starve for a couple of days. Eventually, I fell and broke my ankle BADLY. I found out my bones were "thin." Osteopenia, probably because I hadn't eaten properly for 10 years or more.

Somewhere in this time, I happened upon Kate Harding... and I embraced FAT ACCEPTANCE for awhile. Crystal Renn was my body inspiration. I bought this SUPER HOT red bathing suit. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Gc3ZhfxghVw/Sex89ALA5kI/AAAAAAAADXE/xGi66n3xxKg/s400/swim1.jpg
    I felt better in that bathing suit at my highest weight (185) than I had at my lowest (not sure, somewhere in the 120s, maybe lower) than I had when I was the smallest weight I had EVER been.

Admittedly, I went a little wild for a while, after all, eating cheesecake with NO GUILT was something I hadn't experienced since before I was 12 years old.

Through the blogs associated with Fat Acceptance, I found the ideas of clean eating, and eating intuitively. I started to take more interest in my health. I wasn't afraid to eat, I didn't feel guilty when I ate.I learned that ... I could have ice cream, so I didn't need to eat the whole container. I lost a little weight without trying.

I ended up here, MFP, due to complex fertility issues (not related to weight)... (AND a really cute pair of jeans). I knew if I ended up needing fertility treatment, the first thing they would do would be to tell me to lose weight. I also HONESTLY felt like I probably was at a higher weight than I should have been from my history of disordered eating and then overeating once I lost the guilt.

I DO feel like my time of eating freely probably served as a "reset" as the "Eat More to Lose" people call it. Without it, I am fairly certain that eating 1410 calories a day NET would NOT have caused weight loss for me.

I truly believe you accomplish more out of love - for yourself and others, than hate. I used to diet out of HATE. Now I am trying to live a healthy lifestyle out of LOVE. Self acceptance can sometimes lead to a change that no amount of self-loathing can manufacture.

Like all movements, there are (extreme) extremists in Fat Acceptance, but there is a thread that is very good and very necessary.

I know this is really long and more personally revealing than I should probably put out for the MFP vipers, but hopefully it helps someone.

*edited to say... THAT was a ramble. I'm too old to be up at 1 a.m. Shouldn't drink coffee after 7 p.m.... ever.
  • heretocount
    Options
    My Grandparents tried the old method of scaring their children into not being fat and what winded up happening is they have all fat kids now and half of there grand kids are fat too,

I think something very bad happens to a young kids mind when they are told to be scared of being fat, while I am all for teaching kids good eating and being active, (which a lot of skinny people should be doing too) I think all people have the right to be respected, it is my disicsion to be over weight not yours,

However I think it is really bad when parents let there kids get morbidly obese, I think that is child endangerment, but mind you I mean like really big not chunky kids, most chunky kids are chunky cause they wind up being very broad or tall

also as far as the argument I don't want to pay for the fat peoples health blah blah blah, well I have my own health care thank you, the option isn't making people feel like crap for being different its changing the system so you don't have to pay for those that don't work to provide for themselves
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    This was not my first introduction to Fat Acceptance.
    This site was my first introduction: http://kateharding.net/
    This blog post changed my life: http://kateharding.net/2007/11/27/the-fantasy-of-being-thin/
    How you ask? After dieting (yo-yo-ing.. really BAD dieting. Pills. Laxatives. Occasional purging. Days of lettuce). I found myself steadily, slowly gaining weight. I had been heavy in my early teens, but after one big weight loss (at 13-14), I yo-yo-ed in the healthy BMI. I also think because I never made it to "underweight." No one, other than my parents, a boyfriend and my pediatrician was ever concerned about this behavior. I received all praise for weight loss, no one looked to see how I accomplished it.

When I started gaining (after taking Depo Provera).... I dieted, I ran, I gained. I dieted MORE, I tried the laxatives again (even though I had quit those after reading about possibly health problems), you can't get Ephedra anymore, so the over the counter pills didn't work. At under 1,000 cals a day (mostly WELL under), I ate LESS.
    I hated myself. I cried, I went to the Dr - no help there (offered prescription diet pills). Some part of me KNEW what I was doing was wrong, and unhealthy, so I literally took my records and left.
    Went to another Dr. She had me write down what I ate every day. She looked at it and said "You aren't eating enough." She gave me a meal plan, made me promise to follow it, told me I would gain, but the gain would stop. I did as she said, and she was right.
    Then, I got ANGRY -- I could eat 3 times as much as I had before, and NOT gain weight, but I couldn't LOSE.
    I would still slip and starve for a couple of days. Eventually, I fell and broke my ankle BADLY. I found out my bones were "thin." Osteopenia, probably because I hadn't eaten properly for 10 years or more.

Somewhere in this time, I happened upon Kate Harding... and I embraced FAT ACCEPTANCE for awhile. Crystal Renn was my body inspiration. I bought this SUPER HOT red bathing suit. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Gc3ZhfxghVw/Sex89ALA5kI/AAAAAAAADXE/xGi66n3xxKg/s400/swim1.jpg
    I felt better in that bathing suit at my highest weight (185) than I had at my lowest (not sure, somewhere in the 120s, maybe lower) than I had when I was the smallest weight I had EVER been.

Admittedly, I went a little wild for a while, after all, eating cheesecake with NO GUILT was something I hadn't experienced since before I was 12 years old.

Through the blogs associated with Fat Acceptance, I found the ideas of clean eating, and eating intuitively. I started to take more interest in my health. I wasn't afraid to eat, I didn't feel guilty when I ate.I learned that ... I could have ice cream, so I didn't need to eat the whole container. I lost a little weight without trying.

I ended up here, MFP, due to complex fertility issues (not related to weight)... (AND a really cute pair of jeans). I knew if I ended up needing fertility treatment, the first thing they would do would be to tell me to lose weight. I also HONESTLY felt like I probably was at a higher weight than I should have been from my history of disordered eating and then overeating once I lost the guilt.

I DO feel like my time of eating freely probably served as a "reset" as the "Eat More to Lose" people call it. Without it, I am fairly certain that eating 1410 calories a day NET would NOT have caused weight loss for me.

I truly believe you accomplish more out of love - for yourself and others, than hate. I used to diet out of HATE. Now I am trying to live a healthy lifestyle out of LOVE. Self acceptance can sometimes lead to a change that no amount of self-loathing can manufacture.

Like all movements, there are (extreme) extremists in Fat Acceptance, but there is a thread that is very good and very necessary.

I know this is really long and more personally revealing than I should probably put out for the MFP vipers, but hopefully it helps someone.

*edited to say... THAT was a ramble. I'm too old to be up at 1 a.m. Shouldn't drink coffee after 7 p.m.... ever.

This post made me sad, but then it made me smile. I'm so glad FA changed your life in such a positive way. Congrats on finding a healthy relationship with food and with your own body. :flowerforyou: I only wish more people could see that THIS is part of what FA is trying to accomplish.
  • Stella_Leigh
    Stella_Leigh Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    A person is more than their weight. They have thoughts, feelings, desires, and emotions just like a skinny person. To me, "fat acceptance" isn't saying being fat is healthy, or ideal, or idolized. Its accepting that the adjective "fat" isn't the sole defining characteristic of a person. Fat people deal with a lot of assumptions made about them - they're lazy, dumb, slow, low-class. You see a person, and judge them immediately, simply because of their weight. That is unfair, and dehumanizing. We all have an inner life that lives on regardless of how our exterior appears.

Fat people know they're fat. They're not blind. To me, fat acceptance is recognizing the person within the person, and treating them with the same humanity we should treat all others. Be kind, as everyone is carrying within them a struggle.

This.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    "Scientific studies show that the majority of people cannot achieve long-term sustainable weight loss. Under no circumstance is discrimination based on size or weight of one's body ever acceptable." (http://www.naafaonline.com/dev2/education/faq.html)

Regarding the quote you shared above, they need to jump on over to MFP and SEE how one can become healthy, self confident and enjoy life to the fullest.

I've looked at one of those FAS and it downed me so I never read much on it other than a wee bit. I think some cop out because they are afraid they will fail yet another time after failing so many times in the past. Not saying ALL join that movement because of that but I wonder if that's why many do?

I accept that I am currently not at a healthy weight, not a weight where my body is healthy, so I've learned to accept and love who I am right now (OK, OK, so it's all work in progress! lol) but I don't call that fat acceptance. It's simple me being realistic and looking back to how far I've come and excited about my workouts, healthy food choices and my future day by day.

Hearts:heart:
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I used to diet out of HATE. Now I am trying to live a healthy lifestyle out of LOVE. Self acceptance can sometimes lead to a change that no amount of self-loathing can manufacture.

Delightful-est quote ever.
  • TenderBranson
    TenderBranson Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Fat acceptance is unnacceptable.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I'm a certified Nutritionist with a new practice. While in school, and learning about all the harm processed foods do to our bodies, and Western society's tendency toward obesity, I realized how I can be judgmental when I see people making unhealthy food choices.. I also recognize when reading through these forums, how easy it can be to sound preachy, critical, or self-righteous on matters of health, whether we mean to or not. We brag about our good habits, and debate over the best macro ratio/workout routine/healthy fat source source etc...this, of course is absolutely acceptable and, in fact, crucial to the process while we are in the process of lifestyle change. My revelation then, however, was that all of that must be set aside the moment I become a practitioner. Obviously, I want and need to be an educator, but I can't save the world, only the willing. And while some might respond to a disparaging educator, most will respond better to an encouraging and positive one. When an obese person comes to me as a client, I must keep in mind that he/she made a personal choice to do so, perhaps a very humbling one at that, and is not paying me to tell her she is wrong, or even that she could "do better". My job is to illustrate for her a new picture of well being, and to help her achieve her goals through my expertise. I have plenty of friends with bad habits and extra weight, but unless they ask for my advice, I'm not going to offer it (unless I see immediate life-threatening risk, of course). That said, I sort of agree with BOTH of you, plinchi and fiveohmike. Kindness and compassion for people as individuals, but essentially encouraging obesity by target marketing and a 7-11 on every corner IS dumbing us down, and needs to be attacked at the corporate level, IMO.

Good share! I bet you're GREAT at what you do... you see it from both sides and set aside what you need to when working with clients. When overweight, we know we are, we think of it constantly, not sure why some think we're not aware of it.

Glad you shared:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    So I finally got the NAAFA link from the OP to work for me and I have this to say...

I disagree with almost everything in FAQ. Legislation is NOT the answer. I am of the opinion that the vast majority of people who are overweight are that way because they choose to be so. I also think that for the majority of people being obese is unhealthy.

The key difference is choice. I will admit, people who are obese due to circumstances beyond their control have a terrible time. Fat discrimination is real. But just because so many people decide to live unhealthy is no reason to change our communities and society to support their decision.
  • Umeboshi
    Options

Ignorance and hate are unacceptable.
  • StarkLark
    Options

From what I read on the link provided by the OP the fat acceptance movement is not at all about fighting ignorance and hate. In most cases, it's about changing society to support the unhealthy choices by people who refuse to change.

Hate and ignorance are things that we should all rally against. But it seems to me those ideals are far removed from the official FA positions.
  • StarkLark
    Options
    I used to diet out of HATE. Now I am trying to live a healthy lifestyle out of LOVE. Self acceptance can sometimes lead to a change that no amount of self-loathing can manufacture.

Delightful-est quote ever.
    Seconded! This is very true for me.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I dont think as a nation we should accept fat acceptance honestly because I believe it is just something to bring more money to corporate america....if we say its okay to be obese and unhealthy there will be more fast food places, more people paying doctor bills and in turn paying for meds where if we all were healthy that would cut it out a lot of unnecessary illness.

Needless to say I do think that some overweight people are still healthy it just has to do with their body composition. Not everyone is made to be a size 2 but they are still healthy... Its about health not about size
  • TenderBranson
    Options

You agree with what's provided in the OP? Did you even read the link?
  • Umeboshi
    Options
    I dont think as a nation we should accept fat acceptance honestly because I believe it is just something to bring more money to corporate america....if we say its okay to be obese and unhealthy there will be more fast food places, more people paying doctor bills and in turn paying for meds where if we all were healthy that would cut it out a lot of unnecessary illness.

Needless to say I do think that some overweight people are still healthy it just has to do with their body composition. Not everyone is made to be a size 2 but they are still healthy... Its about health not about size

Because only fat people go to fast food restaurants. :huh:
  • TenderBranson
    Options

Your old posts are hilarious & I'm glad I looked cause now I know not to carry on responding to you. You are a gross troll. A bad one I might add.
  • StarkLark
    Options

Yes. Umeboshi, I'd love to hear your take on the official positions of the FA movement. We can all agree that hate and ignorance are awful, but do you really agree with the official FA stance? If you haven't read the link in the OP, you should. Fat people should be accepted and treated as human beings, but the positions stated here are full of holes and bad for people on a whole:

http://www.naafaonline.com/dev2/education/faq.html (this is the link from the OP)
  • Umeboshi
    Options

Yes. Umeboshi, I'd love to hear your take on the official positions of the FA movement. We can all agree that hate and ignorance are awful, but do you really agree with the official FA stance? If you haven't read the link in the OP, you should. Fat people should be accepted and treated as human beings, but the positions stated here are full of holes and bad for people on a whole:

http://www.naafaonline.com/dev2/education/faq.html (this is the link from the OP)

I agree with the official stance, though I'm not sure why it matters to you.