Fat Acceptance

Options

Replies

• comogirl
    comogirl Posts: 154 Member
    Options

WHY DOES ANYONE CARE IF SOMEONE IS FAT? IT'S NOT HURTING ANYONE BUT THE PERSON THAT CHOOSES TO BE

No matter what the FA people say, most obese people are not healthy, certainly not long term, and there are many obesity-associated medical conditions that are expensive to treat, for example, Tyoe 2 Diabetes, that insurance alone (if you have insurance) will never completely cover. We all end up paying. Most obesity is preventable.

People's genes have not changed in the 30, 40 years. Their habits of consumption and levels of activity have. I'm not saying i't's all their fault; there are many conditions that come into play, for example, the lowered cost of food that has led to overeating. Still, the individual has to play his or her role and "acceptance" is not the answer.
    I wont get into my political beliefs but, there is a large population of people who are not obese that have diabetes, there is a large population of overweight people with insurance, and there is a large population of people with expensive health conditions that are not obese that we end up paying for.....

--It is true that not everyone who has Type II Diabetes is overweight, but most are. They don't call it "Diabesity Syndrome" for nothing.

--Even people with insurance are subsidized by the state. Hospitals, medical treatments, insurance does not pay for everything.

--Everyone who ages gets ill, but it does make a moral difference if you are ill from a preventable condition about which you were fully informed for decades. Some people think that people should be able to do what they want, but if they make bad choices they should be required to pay for them. If people don't get control of themselves, that one day may be our system.
    So then by your standards everyone who partakes in risky behaviors should be persecuted?! Should people who ride motorcycles not be accepted? They know that is a risky behavior and a wreck (I am a nurse and have seen it happen) could lead to a life time of care on tax payer dollars. Should we not accept them because their life style is risky?

First of all, I want to be clear that the idea of holding obese people directly responsible for their behavior is not my position, I have no current opinion, but it is a view I see often. Yesterday, I was reading a discussion about New York Mayor Bloomberg's proposal to restrict the sale of super-sized sugary drinks in certain locations. Naturally, there were the expected protests. A few people said, Fine, let people do what they want, but if they are obese and have obesity-related problems that place a burden on the healthcare system they should have to pay a surcharge for their medical care.

Only a deluded person thinks that, especially given the state of our country's economy, people can be allowed to willfully make themselves sick without consequences, while creating billions of dollars in unnecessary costs for us all. The writing's on the wall.

As other people have pointed out, if you ride a motorcycle you have to pay insurance, it may not cover all your costs, but you can't legally ride without it. You also pay a high premium because you are considered a high risk.

Back to Type II Diabetes for a minute. It runs in my family, and everyone who has it is obese and one of my siblings who is pre-Diabetic is overweight. I asked the doctor if I could avoid it by keeping my weight down. He said that they didn't know for sure but being a normal weight would never be a negative. Even though it's unclear if I'll escape it, I'm sure doing everything I can. Diabetes is a disgusting, onerous, scary disease. It's also expensive to the individual and to other taxpayers.

That alone is a reason to be anti-Fat Acceptance. I am, however, Fat Tolerant.
    I'm done. Agree to disagree. I would appreciate it if you would not insinuate I am deluded. We pay for a crack heads medical bills why not a fat persons. Oh well. Good luck in your endeavors. I would appreciate it if you would avoid pursuing this topic with me any further.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

WHY DOES ANYONE CARE IF SOMEONE IS FAT? IT'S NOT HURTING ANYONE BUT THE PERSON THAT CHOOSES TO BE

No matter what the FA people say, most obese people are not healthy, certainly not long term, and there are many obesity-associated medical conditions that are expensive to treat, for example, Tyoe 2 Diabetes, that insurance alone (if you have insurance) will never completely cover. We all end up paying. Most obesity is preventable.

People's genes have not changed in the 30, 40 years. Their habits of consumption and levels of activity have. I'm not saying i't's all their fault; there are many conditions that come into play, for example, the lowered cost of food that has led to overeating. Still, the individual has to play his or her role and "acceptance" is not the answer.
    I wont get into my political beliefs but, there is a large population of people who are not obese that have diabetes, there is a large population of overweight people with insurance, and there is a large population of people with expensive health conditions that are not obese that we end up paying for.....

--It is true that not everyone who has Type II Diabetes is overweight, but most are. They don't call it "Diabesity Syndrome" for nothing.

--Even people with insurance are subsidized by the state. Hospitals, medical treatments, insurance does not pay for everything.

--Everyone who ages gets ill, but it does make a moral difference if you are ill from a preventable condition about which you were fully informed for decades. Some people think that people should be able to do what they want, but if they make bad choices they should be required to pay for them. If people don't get control of themselves, that one day may be our system.
    So then by your standards everyone who partakes in risky behaviors should be persecuted?! Should people who ride motorcycles not be accepted? They know that is a risky behavior and a wreck (I am a nurse and have seen it happen) could lead to a life time of care on tax payer dollars. Should we not accept them because their life style is risky?

First of all, I want to be clear that the idea of holding obese people directly responsible for their behavior is not my position, I have no current opinion, but it is a view I see often. Yesterday, I was reading a discussion about New York Mayor Bloomberg's proposal to restrict the sale of super-sized sugary drinks in certain locations. Naturally, there were the expected protests. A few people said, Fine, let people do what they want, but if they are obese and have obesity-related problems that place a burden on the healthcare system they should have to pay a surcharge for their medical care.

Only a deluded person thinks that, especially given the state of our country's economy, people can be allowed to willfully make themselves sick without consequences, while creating billions of dollars in unnecessary costs for us all. The writing's on the wall.

As other people have pointed out, if you ride a motorcycle you have to pay insurance, it may not cover all your costs, but you can't legally ride without it. You also pay a high premium because you are considered a high risk.

Back to Type II Diabetes for a minute. It runs in my family, and everyone who has it is obese and one of my siblings who is pre-Diabetic is overweight. I asked the doctor if I could avoid it by keeping my weight down. He said that they didn't know for sure but being a normal weight would never be a negative. Even though it's unclear if I'll escape it, I'm sure doing everything I can. Diabetes is a disgusting, onerous, scary disease. It's also expensive to the individual and to other taxpayers.

That alone is a reason to be anti-Fat Acceptance. I am, however, Fat Tolerant.
    I'm done. Agree to disagree. I would appreciate it if you would not insinuate I am deluded. We pay for a crack heads medical bills why not a fat persons. Oh well. Good luck in your endeavors. I would appreciate it if you would avoid pursuing this topic with me any further.

How dare mfpcopine be logical and stuff!!!!!!LOL
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Wow - can't believe a fat person compared themself to a crackhead!! But really, how does society view crackheads?
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Wow - can't believe a fat person compared themself to a crackhead!! But really, how does society view crackheads?

I wish I didn't have to pay for crack heads, personally. There also aren't any near as many crack heads as obese people too so it doesn't bother me as much. I doubt crack heads are even seeking medical treatment that often anyway so its not even relevant.
  • naomi8888
    Options

I wish I didn't have to pay for crack heads, personally. There also aren't any near as many crack heads as obese people too so it doesn't bother me as much. I doubt crack heads are even seeking medical treatment that often anyway so its not even relevant.

Maybe if they just shared some of their crack with the obese it'd be win / win
  • REET420
    REET420 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm torn between my strong belief that everyone should be comfortable in their own skin and love themselves as they are and my equally firm belief that people should try to be healthy. Not necessarily a BMI determined weight, but an active person who makes an effort to eat more fruits and veggies and less packaged stuff.

Nobody should be discriminated against, but they also shouldn't use excuses to become complacent with an unhealthy life.

I agree with this. I have a "friend" and she is very nasty towards overweight people. She is thin but smokes cigarettes and doesn't have the greatest hygiene but she is always making comments about fat people being gross and it's disgusting for a man to date a big girl yet her boyfriend is putting on lots of weight. All they eat is pizza and fries and drink pop instead of water. That's ok tho as long as your not fat. Her mom and sister are obese. :( and she sais **** about fat people all the time.

Yesterday they were talking about a friend of there' s finding a new girlfriend and her reply was "eeeewww she's probabaly fat" Seriously who ****ing cares if they are both happy with each other and he is not encouraging bad habits to make her fat and unhealthy. This made me feel bad because I feel like I have to be a hermit till I lose weight then when I am thin. Only then will I be acceptable to be around people. These same people wouldn't invite me to any of their activities. Now that i lost 24 pounds they invite me. Quite frankly I want nothing to do with them now that I'm starting to "fit in"
  • victoria4321
    Options

Maybe if they just shared some of their crack with the obese it'd be win / win
    LOL
  • court211006
    Options

Its a crock of ****. I am not saying discriminating against fat people should be tolerated, but forcing society to accommodate them is not the way to go about it.

Its just another way to dumb down america any way you slice it. There cannot be a gap between people economically or physically so the government and special interests groups will try and close that gap by putting an upper limit on what someone can do/think.

i'm sorry by not trying to accomodate isn't that the same as exclusion? it's basically 'oh i'm sorry you do not fit in this chair please get off my aeroplane' I don't think you thinking about how absolutely devestating the effects of that humilation is. I think a society based on the size of your clothes and not the content of your character is faulty but i also think we are all guilty of this.

i think you are also over looking the fact that not all thin people are healthy and are sometimes in WORSE conditions that over weight people. Our society goes through stages of hating the skinny and then the fat, people are not all the same, we all carry weight differently, we are all different, being over weight does not mean you are unhealthy or all of the other bad connatations attached to it, it just means you aren't a socially acceptable weight.

I think maybe a little attitude adjustment is in need.
  • naomi8888
    Options

Its a crock of ****. I am not saying discriminating against fat people should be tolerated, but forcing society to accommodate them is not the way to go about it.

Its just another way to dumb down america any way you slice it. There cannot be a gap between people economically or physically so the government and special interests groups will try and close that gap by putting an upper limit on what someone can do/think.

i'm sorry by not trying to accomodate isn't that the same as exclusion? it's basically 'oh i'm sorry you do not fit in this chair please get off my aeroplane' I don't think you thinking about how absolutely devestating the effects of that humilation is. I think a society based on the size of your clothes and not the content of your character is faulty but i also think we are all guilty of this.

i think you are also over looking the fact that not all thin people are healthy and are sometimes in WORSE conditions that over weight people. Our society goes through stages of hating the skinny and then the fat, people are not all the same, we all carry weight differently, we are all different, being over weight does not mean you are unhealthy or all of the other bad connatations attached to it, it just means you aren't a socially acceptable weight.

I think maybe a little attitude adjustment is in need.

I agree that we shouldn't exclude people for things where their weight isn't relevant (jobs mostly - although statistically they are more of a liability and have more sick days, etc). BUT what you have posted above takes away any sort of responsibility. I mean if they don't fit in an aeroplane seat then whose fault is that?
  • Shyon90
    Shyon90 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For me, it's like smoking acceptance. I have been fat about half of my life, and i firmly believe that being fat is a CHOICE, just like walking around with the health consequences of smoking cigarettes is a choice. I was never forced to eat any of the pizzas or cheeseburgers that i ate to get me fat.

HOLY WORDS
  • Shyon90
    Shyon90 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    People Judges Fat ones because is in our istinct to spot the weakest and take advantage of them,but as we are not in stone age,and we dont steal food and things anymore,this istinct has changed to just laugh at this people.
    BUT THIS IS NOT A REASON to do it.I am sure these people have people who love them that alrdy are telling them to lose fat.So they dont need strangers to do it unless they ask.
    And i invite everyone,if ur son brother mother father girlfriend is out of control,tell them to do something,of course not everytime u see them but take care of each other.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options

Definitely agree with the bolded. It's why I have no problem with the idea of drug screening for welfare.
  • victoria4321
    Options

Definitely agree with the bolded. It's why I have no problem with the idea of drug screening for welfare.

So you'd rather the person starve? Thats a bit cruel.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options

So you'd rather the person starve? Thats a bit cruel.

I'd rather they get the help they need to get off drugs and become a functioning member of society. If you can't work because you're addicted to drugs...why should anyone else be forced to pay for you?

Plus, there are plenty of charities willing to help if you bother to look.
  • Aaron257
    Aaron257 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So I have ready plenty of the posts on this thread, and most of you people are even more disgusting that the "fat" people you hate so much. You either hate fat people because you are fat and hate yourself, or you used to be fat and hated how people and society viewed you. This website is for those of us that are trying to become healthier and lose weight, yet there are way too skinny people on here trying to tell me how to live my life and judging me. Do you have any idea how many people are admitted into the hospital every year for malnutrition, anorexia nervosa, and anorexia athletica all because society give us unrealistic body images(I am an EMT and I DO see it all the time). I get it, I am overweight and I am actively trying to change this. But I carry health insurance, have great BP, HR, and low cholesterol, so I am tired of people saying we are all soooo unhealthy. You people should be ashamed of yourselves trying to make overweight people feel worse than I am sure they already feel. They are already on this site to change their lives, so maybe we need to stop calling people "fat" and "disgusting" and instead, support them in their weight loss journey.
  • Aaron257
    Options
    I'm ok with other people being fat.
    I'm no longer ok with myself being fat.

GREAT way to look at it!
  • Aaron257
    Options

WOW... I can't believe that on a website where it is all about being supportive and uplifting, so that we can all get healthier and reach our goals, you are on here calling someone "fat"

Shame on you! Keep your negative attitude to yourself!
  • naomi8888
    Options

WOW... I can't believe that on a website where it is all about being supportive and uplifting, so that we can all get healthier and reach our goals, you are on here calling someone "fat"

Uuummm maybe because the movement is called "fat acceptance"? duh!
  • Lushaholic
    Lushaholic Posts: 62
    Options
    The only acceptance that I have come to with my weight is that I did this to myself and only I CAN fix it.
  • Aaron257
    Options

Uuummm maybe because the movement is called "fat acceptance"? duh!

I didn't realize that "fat acceptance" meant that we should degrade someone on a forum and be so rude as to call them fat