Greek Yogart - how do you eat this stuff?!?

Options

Replies

• sokizzme
    sokizzme Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    - Smootie with fresh (cool) fruit e.g strawberry, green apple, pineapple... I don't use banana it will taste too thick (for me...)
    - Use it instead of philadelphia cream cheese to spread on my multigrain toast and top up slide tomato (cool)
    - Put it in freeze and have it instead of Ben and Jerry!!!
  • lissrn
    lissrn Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I have to add sweetener to it as I only buy plain. The flavors have way too many carbs. The Toriani syrups are good with some cinnamon sprinkled on it.

It is not a sub for sour cream. I am not sure why people say that as they taste nowhere near the same. I could eat a VAT of sour cream, I can usually manage an individual cup of GY once a week. And I've tried mixing in tuna salad, I don't recommend. I can't get it to taste edible. If you try, maybe just try in a little amount so you don't have to throw away a bunch of food.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    simple if you don't like it don't eat it ! but me personally I use a spoon ;-)
  • jenandten
    jenandten Posts: 9
    Options
    This post made me laugh! I tried a recipe I saw on pinterest - plain, put oats and cinnamon in it overnight. It was like trying to eat playdough and I thought there was something wrong with me for not loving it.

I like it plain with almonds and stevia.
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have been eating Stonyfield low fat plain yogurt for a couple of years, and recently switched to greek yogurt because of the higher protein %. I am having difficulty eating it, partly because it is so thick and so tart. So my next approach is to try to mix greek yogurt with regular plain low fat yogurt. I bought a container of each. I am hoping that will work. I will keep you posted. I usually mix mine with fresh berries and homemade granola.
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I mix plain non-fat chobani greek yogurt with apple butter and wheatabix. Or, I make a smoothie with frozen berries, watermelon, pineapple, wheat germ, flax, lemon juice and stevia...yum:-)

Also, for savory dishes, use it instead of sour cream. TONS of protein... :-)
  • kelseylauren02
    Options
    I love Dannon Oikos blueberry greek yogurt. I was really hesitant as well, and tried several brands/flavors. I can't eat the plain, it's just too much for me! Fage makes some good ones with a little thing of fruit on the side, and those are pretty good too. Plus you can choose how much fruit you add, making it a little bit customizable depending on what you like. Costco carries a big pack with cherry, strawberry, raspberry and blueberry that I get sometimes. My kids even love it!
  • serialzombie
    serialzombie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like a cup of Chobani plain non-fat yogurt before bed. I mix in a half tablespoon of Truvia and just the tiniest amount of raw wild honey. It doesn't make it delicious, but it definitely makes it edible.
  • loves_jc
    loves_jc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    This is my fav.. I do all of the above Ideas with it also I didn't see I add it to salsa and pour over my salad greens, I put it in my colli mash in place of sour cream and butter, I also like it with a little cereal for crunch.
    I would also like to know which brand you tried. I've been thinking about switching over from my beloved Yoplait light(strawberry and very cherry are my faves). I know the Greek version is better for me, but I've heard friends talk about the taste, so I've been hesitant.

For anyone: What brand would you recommend, knowing how much I love, love, love the above mentioned regular yogurts? I don't mind the tart taste, but it has to taste good or it will waste away in my fridge. ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGH0B1iunfn7MkRq2AIMAhr21QkOvpSrUoMZK3Kw2qtKYEdBb2
    ^ This is the stuff I got
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I always get Chobiani Greek Yogurt - plain unsweetened. I add (2) Slpenda + Fiber packet (don't use Stevia - too bitter) and a Duncan Hines Frosting creation (cherry vanilla or choco Mint are my favs). Tastes WONDERFUL and not bitter.
  • jjean905
    jjean905 Posts: 175
    Options
    Mix in sugar free chocolate pudding mix. Makes a chocolate mousse. :)

I do this too!!! So good. I only put in about 2TBP. Soooo good!
  • foxygirlact
    foxygirlact Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've mixed it with tuna, celery, mustard and a little lemon juice to make a tuna salad sandwich. You can add as much mustard as you want to make that the main flavour. Sounds strange, but it is really nice
  • karenruddell1974
    karenruddell1974 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • seamaiden1000
    seamaiden1000 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I put dollop of Greek yoghurt on my almond and sultana boiled rice and sprinkle with cinnamon.

Also add dollop to lentil soup made plain with lots of garlic and olive oil and lemon poured on top.
  • awisegirl84
    awisegirl84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Dannon Oikos Vanilla...the only kind I'll eat, even if I'm mixing it into something.
  • chrissyrn04
    chrissyrn04 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I like the plain mixed with a dash of splenda and a cup of frozen berries.
  • smareeh
    smareeh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Mmmm I think Greek is better. My fav flavors are Greek Goddess and Noosa (but I can only find that out west and I am in IN) We use ours plain as a sour cream sub or in our smoothies. I am a recent addict of super foods green powder....I have some for me and the kids have the special kids kind. We mix our greek with scoop of green powder, pb2 and frozen banana.
  • kboggs6763
    kboggs6763 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I mix it with some sugar and fat free jello mix, very good! : )
  • kendrafox
    kendrafox Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I layer it with frozen berries and honey.