Book Nerds --UNITE!

Options

Replies

• sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    <
    Hi I am Colette and I'm a book nerd!

Love to read romance....serial killers....true crime and autobiographies!!

Do you read J.D. Robb?
  • kateshape
    kateshape Posts: 25
    Options
    I love books and am always looking for more to read! I just finished the handmaid's tale by Margaret Atwood, and I really liked it.

My favorite books include:
    Atonement - Ian McEwan
    the Help - Kathyrn Stockett
    the Book of Negroes: A Novel - Lawrence Hill
    Life of Pi - Yann Martel
    Harry Potter Series - JK Rowling
    Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden
    The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexander Dumas
    Anything by Philip Roth (Portnoy's Complaint, Indignation, etc)
    Into Thin Air - Jon Krakauer

Do you have a goodreads account? If so, my account is: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/3879922-kate
  • TheNewo
    TheNewo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Book nerd and proud right here -got the English degree to prove it ;-)

Oh, and my favorites are the epitome of geekdom: LOTR, and the entire collection by the Bronte Sisters ♥
  • kitkatkmt
    kitkatkmt Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Night Circus.

I second this. I'm reading it now, and LOVE it.

Also, check out Divergent by Veronica Roth. It's the first in a trilogy, and Insurgent - the second - just came out. Both really, really good. Sadly, the third won't be out for about a year...
  • kitkatkmt
    kitkatkmt Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    And what do you think of Nora Roberts? I saw you love JD Robb. Some of Nora Roberts' books are paranormal-ish.
  • Karrie262
    Karrie262 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Kurt Vonegut is one of my favorite authors...Galapagos is a good one of his. Also, Chuck Palahniuk is my favorite author of all time. He's the guy who wrote Fight Club (if you liked the movie the book is so much better). Enjoy!!
  • CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Bump so that I can come back later when I have time and see what everybody's recommendations are, yay! :)
  • hbaby08
    hbaby08 Posts: 75
    Options
    NOOK does wonders :) a majority of the books i like are in series, saves on space. here are a few of my faves (some already mentioned) that i could think of at the moment.
    In no particular order
    --Rosemary Edgehill- the empty crown
    --Stephen King-anything
    --Laurel Hamilton- Anita Black Series
    --Simon Green- Nightside series
    --Patricia Briggs- Mercy Thompson/Alpha and Omega
    --Amanda Hocking-Trylle Trilogy/Hollowland
    --Phaedra Weldon- anything
    --Kim Harrison- Rachel Morgan Series
    --Steve Merrifield-Harvest (horror- you wont be able to put it down, seriously)
    Has Potential:
    --T C Southwell (read the queens blade- will probably keep going)
    Im in the process of reading:
    --Elissa Malchon (Deviations Series) and Suzanne Collins (Hunger Games Trilogy)
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    And if you like Vamps I recommend the Dark-Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon, it doesn't get much better than that right there!

i have read all the dark-hunter books and sherrilyn kenyon is a lovely woman who really appreciates her fans and will sit there for just hours after her signings are supposed to be over so she can talk to everyone who came. i actually really like those books and you know what's funny is at the same time i hate a lot of things about them. but i can't stop reading them. my theory is she dips them in crack before sending them out haha.
    I first read Barbara Kingsolver in HS too- but it was "The Bean Trees". I agree that she is an artist, and I have read everything since The Bean Trees voraciously, and most multiple times. Tootsanderson, you are on point with calling her books poetry- I've never thought about it before but it is so true! The way she uses words is so thoughtful, it is much more like a poet than a fiction writer.

Her books can be really sad, but I see them more as realistic and beautiful than sad, I guess. The sad situations explore the humanity of the characters.

WRT Charlaine Harris- I'm just venturing in to her other series now- but I like Sookie. The books are good cheese. Partially I think I like them because I have like ZERO natural creativity, so it's just interesting to get sucked in to an imagined world. Other than Harry potter and Charlaine harris and the occasional steven king book, I have rarely ventured in to any sci-fi or paranormal anything.

yeah, i think it was my very hard childhood that turned me against harsh reality in books. i've already done harsh reality and put it all behind me. i like happiness now lol. i chose to just embrace positivity. which is kind of a shallow way to live but it works for me haha. i think that's why i like comedies and romances now. i know what i'm getting and i don't need to think too hard in most cases. i love charlaine harris' 'grave sight' series.

sorry, everyone, my shift key is stuck. i'm sure i'm driving some people crazy with my lack of caps lol
  • Pooker89
    Pooker89 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Terry Goodkind - Sword of Truth series - (Also made into a tv series but the books were WAAAY better.)
    Brent Weeks - The Night Angel Trilogy
    Laura K Hamilton - Anita Black Series
    Kim Harrison - The hollow series
    Cherl Sterling - What do you say to a naked elf?

Should I go on?

Also bump so I can look what others read later :)
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    book nerd here
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I LOVE to read!! Pretty much anything! My all-time fav is John Saul. Esp' his older stuff. The God Project.... AWESOME & kinda creepy! His new stuff is ok, but defintley like the old better.
    As for "fluff" I LOVE Debbie Macomber, esp the Cedar Cove Series (they are all address titles) Janet Evanovich is fun too. OMG I have a TON off books & just got an eReader, which I swore I never would own! Dracula was one of the books already loaded in & I started that & was hooked! Until I accidenty erased it! LOL I got it back & can't wait to read it!

OMG Just reading thru some of the posts & I'm feverishly writing down authors & titles to search for! Thank you!! :-) I never met a book I didnt like! :smile:
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Not so much into the paranormal romance scene (althoooough, you can get e-books free download and I've read a trilogy by Nicky Charles, werewolf romance (the mating is the title of the first book) and S.C Stephens - vamp stylie - check out feedbooks, awesome site :-D) but totally loving Robin Hobb, Christopher Paolini and George Martin right now!!
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    bookmarking to read through later.
  • cmbrysonussery
    cmbrysonussery Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Recent reads........... Born Wicked by Jessica Spotwood, Amanda Hockings Tyrelle Trilogy :-) all of these are Young adult books but fun reads. I also loved, loved, loved Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness and Angelogy by Danielle Trussoni.

You should share some of your favorite books or authors too!

I'm struggling to get into Discovery of Witches...when does the pace pick up?

I always finish what I start, but this one is a particular challenge.

I love all book! Horror, Romance, Young Adult, Fantasy, Historical Fiction, Thriller, Mystery, the back of the shampoo bottle. I like strong female leads. I'd love recommendations!
  • ShyGirl89
    ShyGirl89 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Huge bookworm/nerd/geek here! I've been on the hunt for new books to read as well.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I got sucked into the "Wheel of Time" series in high school, and I just don't know if I'm mentally prepared for another super long fantasy series. The first one is sitting on my shelf waiting to be read, though!

i really got into 'wheel of time' until like book ten when he really lost me. i felt like i was just reading all these tangents and he was not pulling it together for me. i was really looking for resolution by that point and it was just endless journeys and new characters being introduced all the time. i was really disappointed by the book i ended with. they spend the entire thousand pages give or take wandering around until the very end where rand does one significant thing. that was it for me. but i was hooked until then. and you know, that was my last foray into the world of epic high fantasy too.

The guy who's finishing it now has actually made some plot developments -- it looks like it might actually wrap up. :P
  • paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    For sheer escapism I adore the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett, they are loosely related but can be read in any order. They are also hilarious as well, i've had more than one odd look from a stranger on the train when i started giggling away to myself.
  • Starzy696
    Starzy696 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The Hunger Games trilogy was awesome!

Sarah's Key was awesome as well.

Look Again was a great book too.

I also have hear the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy is good.
  • faefaith
    faefaith Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Anything by Neil Gaiman has a lot to offer. :wink: