Greek Yogart - how do you eat this stuff?!?

Options

Replies

• kaklos
    kaklos Posts: 13
    Options
    Try this out... Add 1/3 C Splenda and a sugar free drink mix packet of your favorite flavor to 8 ounces of plain non fat greek yogurt. It only adds 10 calories for a total of 100 calories! (if you are using Chobabi, like me!)
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    sounds like the recipe was at fault. Greek yogurt - the good stuff - extremely thick, so you can use it anytime you would normally use Sour Cream. Very low moisture. If you are adding powders but nothing to loosen up the mixture, you're going to end up with a mouth full of dust and stickiness. The yogurt we're use to eating (Yoplait, for example) is HIGHLY sugared, so you're going to miss the overly-sweet taste from mass-market yogurts.

I usually eat the Fage or Trader Joe's kinds. Fage is if you want the real thing, the rest are all just knock-offs to me. Chobani is good, too but there is still a lot of sugar.

It's a thick yogurt, so fruit and honey with a tiny bit of granola is good. It really needs something sweet and higher moisture to make it less thick and bland.

Also try it as a dressing with a little lemon juice and shredded cucumber and make tzatziki. It's great on spiced lamb or on a salad.
  • kristibluesky
    Options
    Im going to try this. sounds like a great idea
  • MeeshKB
    MeeshKB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of the unsweetened, but the naturally sweetened ones (ie. not artificial sweeteners) can be delish! I particularly like Oikos Vanilla and Oikos Honey.

I would far rather eat a full fat yogurt sweetened with honey or sugar than a fat free one sweetened artificially.
  • kristibluesky
    Options
    depends on the brand. I found some brands are just too sour creamy. I like greek goddess and fage that can be found at costco. i buy the frozen berry blend put some over the greek yogurt and let it defrost over the yogurt. you can add some quinoa crunch a recipe from jillian micaels to replace granola for less calories and it take like desert. I promise. The brand matters. try some honey or agave syrup till you get used to it.
  • thirtytwopostcards
    Options
    With honey and or a bit of fruit.

I use it instead of milk on cereal.

It is good in smoothies.
  • jnaty
    jnaty Posts: 9
    Options
    Add blue berries in it . protien power is not very tasty lol i only eat it in my oakmeal with fruit.
  • SHENITABEAUTIFUL
    Options
    I eat it with kashi summer granola or with chopped bananas and walnuts
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Fruit! I like it with fresh blueberries. The vanilla is a must though, for me. I can't handle it plain or it's nasty.
  • RhythmGypsi
    RhythmGypsi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Until my lactose sensitivity got out of control, I used to eat the plain non-fat kind with two packets of Stevia in the Raw and cinnamon, nutmeg, or any other kind of sweet spice powder. The flavored kinds have so much sugar in them, I feel it defeats the purpose of eating them. Yogurt is meant to be healthy for you! :) If you're not too into greek yogurt no matter what you try, I would suggest So Delicious! coconut's milk yogurt. It's amazing! :D
  • kattack555
    kattack555 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Add it to your smoothies!!!
  • gemfireice
    gemfireice Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i like to take organic granola and sprinkle on top and add strawberries or peaches its very yummy.. also i really like the yoplait greek i tried one it started with a c but i can't remember the name but it was very nasty.. good luck
  • NouveauRee
    NouveauRee Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Bump love the fruit chobanis but trying to save on the sugar grams... can't wait to try some of the alternatives with the plain thx all for sharing
  • Civeng1
    Civeng1 Posts: 11
    Options
    I use Fage 0%, but always mix fresh fruit with it (Strawberries or raspberries). You might add a bit of Agave Nectar to sweeten it up, if your calorie count can handle it.
  • SerinaK
    SerinaK Posts: 87
    Options
    I always add fruit to mine or a little bit of honey and almonds.
  • emmahaines1
    Options
    I stir in a tea spoon of honey and serve with red berries.

Also its good to stir in some just as your about to serve a homemade curry, much healthier than using coconut milk or cream
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I use it to make tuna salad!
    http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-tuna-salad/

Ingredients
    3 cans water-packed tuna
    1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
    2 tsp. lemon juice
    1 carrot – grated
    1/2 tsp. dried dill
    1 tsp. dried parsley
    1 small tomato
    1/4 tsp. dijon mustard
    1/2 a small white onion
    1 hard boiled egg
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1 tsp. honey (optional)
    Salt and pepper to taste

Mix & serve!
  • RainyAM
    RainyAM Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just eat it with banana - tastes really creamy ... sometimes with a little drizzle of honey on top. mm mm mm
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    a teaspoon of honey works wonders also dried fruit and nuts... Or try it with savoury making cucumber raita or a dip for fresh veggies...
    If you blitz some watercress with it and lemon juice and garlic it makes a wonderful sauce for salmon or chicken or lamb.
    Hope this helps.
    Jules xx
  • kolakross
    kolakross Posts: 39
    Options
    I mix mine with quark (the creamy kind) and a little bit of cinnamon (unless the quark is flavoured) and then I eat it with fruit and/or berries. Today it was strawberries. Love. Although I do eat the kind with 10% fat.
    I have eaten it with a little bit of honey before. And for a period I flavoured it with coconut flakes as breakfast. Now I eat it mostly as dessert.