Book Nerds --UNITE!

Options

Replies

• sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Sherrilyn Kenyon. LOL, I ovedosed on her one week. i read about 10 of her books in a row. They were okay, for romances. Definitely a new twist on the old formula..

did you just say Sherrilyn Kenyon's books were only "okay"?! I think my world may have just imploded. In fact i don't even know how I'm still typing. I think I see a bright light...
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I'm a YA junkie - am way too old forint too! But I love the easy read nature of it, I read 4-5 books a week. ATM I have Hunting Lila on the kindle, pandemonium (delirium sequel), the glimpse and starters in book form! I have a waiting list of 40+ on the kindle too. Fans of divergent (it's been picked up for a movie!) should read Lauren Oliver's delirium trilogy its a fantastic read. (part 3 not out yet). Oh and the pitticus lore books - don't be put off by the word 'alien'! They great books, read the first 2 and the kindle extras in 3days.

I love Gena Showalter's YA books, and Tamora Pierce is an absolute angel! I have read every single she has put out
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I've enjoyed anything by Patricia Briggs. Her Mercy Thomson novels are better than the Alpha and Omega ones IMO. I also read the Anita Blake series by Laurell Hamilton and the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris.

ahhhh! You're reading the Anita Blake series but not the Merry Gentry series?! You're killing me here woman!! But I approve that you are reading Hamilton. I haven't read much Briggs, but I'll check her out! Try Sherrilyn Kenyon, she is a GODDESS!

I just haven't gotten there yet. I will though, i'm still catching up on both series i'm reading now.
  • MirandaEnlightened
    Options
    The Art of War, Walden, The Ethics, Thus Spoke Zarathustra, The Prince, ANYTHING PHILOSOPHY!!!!!!! :)
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm a YA junkie - am way too old forint too! But I love the easy read nature of it, I read 4-5 books a week. ATM I have Hunting Lila on the kindle, pandemonium (delirium sequel), the glimpse and starters in book form! I have a waiting list of 40+ on the kindle too. Fans of divergent (it's been picked up for a movie!) should read Lauren Oliver's delirium trilogy its a fantastic read. (part 3 not out yet). Oh and the pitticus lore books - don't be put off by the word 'alien'! They great books, read the first 2 and the kindle extras in 3days.

I just finished Delirium and Pandemonium last week too! I thought Delirium was just okay but got sucked in by Pandemonium.

I shouted at the ending thou! Was soo mad that she'd just end it like that!

I know! I can't believe that we have to wait until February for Requiem!
  • starzluv94
    starzluv94 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've called you all here for a very important reason. I NEED NEW BOOKS! Give unto me your recommendations! Or we can have a lively discussion about things we've read. Any genre is welcome!

My personal favorites are Paranormal Romance though ;D

My absolute favorite authors include: Sherrilyn Kenyon, Katie MacAlister, Lora Leigh, J.R. Ward, Christine Feehan, Jaid Black and J.D. Robb

Kate Douglas
    Kim Harrison

As far as Laurel K Hamilton goes, I dont know how far a long in the series you are but I lost interest in her writing as well as an author. The quality of the books took a nose dive and now its all just trash!
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Sherrilyn Kenyon. LOL, I ovedosed on her one week. i read about 10 of her books in a row. They were okay, for romances. Definitely a new twist on the old formula..

did you just say Sherrilyn Kenyon's books were only "okay"?! I think my world may have just imploded. In fact i don't even know how I'm still typing. I think I see a bright light...

Haha. Sorry, it's just that I don't like romance as a rule. I did like them enough to sit and read all of them in one go. :smile: They were definitely a cut above the rest of the romances I have read. :flowerforyou:
  • yodapooper
    yodapooper Posts: 62
    Options
    :bigsmile: I just finished Hereafter by Tara Hudson. It was a page turner. Also, The restorer by amanda stevens was a great read.
  • bazaar1982
    bazaar1982 Posts: 159 Member
    Options

I just finished Delirium and Pandemonium last week too! I thought Delirium was just okay but got sucked in by Pandemonium.

I shouted at the ending thou! Was soo mad that she'd just end it like that!

I know! I can't believe that we have to wait until February for Requiem!

Do you have a kindle? They do an extra short Hana story on there. It's not great but shows her side. I hate having to wait - it was the same with divergent, I read it the week it came out so had a year to wait!
  • next_bold_move
    next_bold_move Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've called you all here for a very important reason. I NEED NEW BOOKS! Give unto me your recommendations! Or we can have a lively discussion about things we've read. Any genre is welcome!

My personal favorites are Paranormal Romance though ;D

My absolute favorite authors include: Sherrilyn Kenyon, Katie MacAlister, Lora Leigh, J.R. Ward, Christine Feehan, Jaid Black and J.D. Robb

I read "The Restorer" by Amanda Stevens this year, and it was great. The whole trilogy was really enjoyable.
  • light_shimmer
    light_shimmer Posts: 118 Member
    Options

Kate Douglas
    Kim Harrison

As far as Laurel K Hamilton goes, I dont know how far a long in the series you are but I lost interest in her writing as well as an author. The quality of the books took a nose dive and now its all just trash!

Ditto on Hamilton's quality. I enjoy a good sex scene as much as anyone else, but there has to at least be a semblance of a plot tying them together. They started to read like erotica or something. Annoyed me after the first few books.

There's another series I read, by Yasmine Galenorn. There's three sisters, a vamp, a cat shifter, and a witch and each book revolves around one of them. I think the series was up to 8 or 9 when I read them. Witchling, Darkling, and Changeling are the first three I believe. They aren't exactly stupendous, but a good way to spend a rainy day.
  • tuiccim
    tuiccim Posts: 689 Member
    Options

For paranormal romance I would recommend Lynsay Sands, Kerrelyn Sparks, and Katie MacAlister. They all write hilarious romance novels.

Agreed! Love these three. They are laugh out loud funny.
  • FollowThatUnicorn
    FollowThatUnicorn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Facts:

- I love to read
    - I need to have the actual, physical book
    - Some of my favourites are:
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn ~ Betty Smith
    Gone With the Wind ~ Margaret Mitchell
    Their Eyes Were Watching God ~ Zora Neale Hurston
    The Shadow of the Wind ~ Carlos Ruiz Zafon
    To Kill a Mockingbird ~ Harper Lee
    The Handmaid's Tale ~ Margaret Atwood
    - This is my goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/49879-danielle
  • bazaar1982
    Options
    Facts:

- I love to read

I always said that I'd not go down the reader route. Have eaten my words. Love it. I still read proper books (in the bath!) but love being able to instantly download a book.
  • FollowThatUnicorn
    Options
    Facts:

- I love to read

I always said that I'd not go down the reader route. Have eaten my words. Love it. I still read proper books (in the bath!) but love being able to instantly download a book.

I can never give this up:

207vrt1.jpg
  • TattedInStilettos
    TattedInStilettos Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly into non fiction/ fiction books by African American authors ex: zane, Erica Jerome ****ey, e. Lynn Harris & sister soulja to name a few...though I like to expand my mind & I read all kinds of genres of books...
  • bazaar1982
    Options
    Facts:

- I love to read

207vrt1.jpg

Lol, no I understand - I have 2 walls full of books and a rouge pile that's started to build up in my room! I am really funny about selling books too (although I force myself to)
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options

207vrt1.jpg

i love my paper books too. i've tried ebooks but they just don't seem to work for me. my husband is also a hard core bibliophile. we're about to renovate our house and the biggest allotment of our budget is going to the two story library. not kidding :laugh: can't wait. right now we have books everywhere. and i do mean everywhere. i don't think there's a surface in our house that doesn't have books on it. we have six bookcases in our bedroom and about ten towering piles of books around the room that wouldn't fit on the bookcase. there's no such thing as too many books. however, there is such thing as too little time to read them.
  • FollowThatUnicorn
    Options
    Sadly, I am alone in my love. My husband isn't a reader. But he encourages my obsession and helps me build the Ikea bookcases :)

Bazaar, Yeah, I can't get rid of books either. IF there is one that was really bad, I'll take it and use it for crafty purposes.

Toots, more power to you! My husband & I don't have any kids and aren't having any so we can put our money to what we want.
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I am alone in my love. My husband isn't a reader. But he encourages my obsession and helps me build the Ikea bookcases :)

Bazaar, Yeah, I can't get rid of books either. IF there is one that was really bad, I'll take it and use it for crafty purposes.

Toots, more power to you! My husband & I don't have any kids and aren't having any so we can put our money to what we want.

oh, that's the advantage of not having kids. we have three and are trying to adopt more right now. but before we started having kids we set ourselves a budget that each of us couldn't spend more than 150 dollars a paycheck on our books. those were good times. almost every one of our dates were to the book store. but i don't mind not having tons of expendable income anymore. :)