Vegetarianism. Seriously? (A Debate)

Options
I'm not judging, but I just don't get it.

Anyone care to debate the benefits / drawbacks of vegetarianism VS yummy, yummy meat with me?

To quantify my position, I'm on the side of meat. All meat. I eat meat, with meat sprinkled on it. I am not emotionally swayed by eating meat. In fact, I prefer to know the name, birthday and religion of the cow, before I eat it. (Joking, calm down. But, my side of the debate is now clearly established.)

Now, before we begin, please know that I'm uneducated, shy, small and frail. So, please be gentle.

Replies

• nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I thought you might have gotten yourself booted for a few days there....

I'm on the meat side....salad's great...but salad is what FOOD eats....

I'm getting better at adding in more veggies, but only to complement the juicy deer steak.....
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    I thought you might have gotten yourself booted for a few days there....

I'm on the meat side....salad's great...but salad is what FOOD eats....

I'm getting better at adding in more veggies, but only to complement the juicy deer steak.....

Not booted, though I'm quite sure the moderators have a dartboard with my face and/or crotch on it.

I'm not anti-veggie at all. Raw broccoli is arguably the yummiest thing since... well... sliced bread. Though I'm fairly sure broccoli came first.
  • nikinyx6
    Options

Not booted, though I'm quite sure the moderators have a dartboard with my face and/or crotch on it.

I'm not anti-veggie at all. Raw broccoli is arguably the yummiest thing since... well... sliced bread. Though I'm fairly sure broccoli came first.

I'm far from anti-veggie but you'll never see me eat a meal without a piece of meat on the plate...it just feels wrong... and I concur...broccoli rocks!
  • gchutson
    Options

I'm far from anti-veggie but you'll never see me eat a meal without a piece of meat on the plate...it just feels wrong... and I concur...broccoli rocks!

In the good 'ol days, I would chase the meat down and emotionally taunt it before I killed and ate it.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I'm not judging, but I just don't get it.

Anyone care to debate the benefits / drawbacks of vegetarianism VS yummy, yummy meat with me?

To quantify my position, I'm on the side of meat. All meat. I eat meat, with meat sprinkled on it. I am not emotionally swayed by eating meat. In fact, I prefer to know the name, birthday and religion of the cow, before I eat it. (Joking, calm down. But, my side of the debate is now clearly established.)

Now, before we begin, please know that I'm uneducated, shy, small and frail. So, please be gentle.

You should join the debate group here. It helps keep people strike free & warning free

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/116-debatable-debating
  • nikinyx6
    Options

You should join the debate group here. It helps keep people strike free & warning free

Well gee, that's no fun at all!
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    its either for ethical/ environmental reasons or they just dont like eating flesh as a personal prefrence... i have no problems with that. the issue lies where there are ones that say that being vegetarian or vegan is some how superior or more healthy than omniverous eating... the 80/10/10 diet?? thats ridiculous.
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    carnivore-support-group.jpg
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 24 years, from ages 14-38. For me it was because I simply did not like meat. I never liked it as a child, and was forced to eat it growing up. I raised my kids vegetarian and everything (husband was not vegetarian though, but he ate what we did). 2 years ago my youngest son wanted to try meat, and since I felt he was old enough to decide, I let him. He loves meat LOL. Because I am so attached to my kids I felt compelled to try a little meat too...and discovered it wasn't as gross as I remembered. However I cannot eat red meat (beef, pork, lamb. etc), it makes me physically sick. So now I just eat birds and seafood in addition to my regular vegetarian diet.

I do believe eating no meat or little meat significantly reduces the interior and exterior wear and tear on your body. Plus you are more likely to consume and ENJOY fruit, vegetables, and legumes. For children raised vegetarian, it sets a foundation for life for healthy eating. All of my kids love healthy food, they don't have that distaste for veggies that seems common in American children.

I would never tell anyone they SHOULD be vegetarian, but I do think most people (at least in the states) eat too much meat. You can never go wrong in reducing how much meat you eat, but eating too much meat can actually hurt you.
  • gchutson
    Options

Well gee, that's no fun at all!

I'm convinced that without me, the mods would have virtually nothing to do. I give them purpose.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I know some people who don't like the taste or texture of meat. And like its been said some feel wrong eating animals. I personally eat (and thoroughly enjoy meat) but feel like a d!ck everytime I go to a fair or petting zoo and pet the cows and chickens, cuz the animals are so cute....but they also taste so good.....
  • gchutson
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 24 years, from ages 14-38. For me it was because I simply did not like meat. I never liked it as a child, and was forced to eat it growing up. I raised my kids vegetarian and everything (husband was not vegetarian though, but he ate what we did). 2 years ago my youngest son wanted to try meat, and since I felt he was old enough to decide, I let him. He loves meat LOL. Because I am so attached to my kids I felt compelled to try a little meat too...and discovered it wasn't as gross as I remembered. However I cannot eat red meat (beef, pork, lamb. etc), it makes me physically sick. So now I just eat birds and seafood in addition to my regular vegetarian diet.

I do believe eating no meat or little meat significantly reduces the interior and exterior wear and tear on your body. Plus you are more likely to consume and ENJOY fruit, vegetables, and legumes. For children raised vegetarian, it sets a foundation for life for healthy eating. All of my kids love healthy food, they don't have that distaste for veggies that seems common in American children.

I would never tell anyone they SHOULD be vegetarian, but I do think most people (at least in the states) eat too much meat. You can never go wrong in reducing how much meat you eat, but eating too much meat can actually hurt you.

That was the nicest, most polite counterargument I've ever seen, professionally or otherwise. I can't argue back because I feel the to give you a hug and buy your kids a pony.
  • gchutson
    Options
    carnivore-support-group.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH... wait... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I never understand the point of "debating" this.

Who cares? It's not like anything either side says will change anyone's mind or provide brand new information. For some people it's moral, for some it's digestive, for some it's taste, for some it's political, for some it's environmental.

This is not a thought about you but I used to get SO MANY people asking me why I was vegan when I was growing up and not matter what I said or how nice I was ("well, it's just right for me") or vague ("well, I have concerns about industrial farming, the environment"), people would always call my reasons 'pushy'. Excuse me? You asked!! Otherwise I never mention it. How is that pushy?
  • harley47920
    harley47920 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I eat meat and lots of it. I admit, I do need to eat more fruits and veggies though.
  • gchutson
    Options
    its either for ethical/ environmental reasons or they just dont like eating flesh as a personal prefrence... i have no problems with that. the issue lies where there are ones that say that being vegetarian or vegan is some how superior or more healthy than omniverous eating... the 80/10/10 diet?? thats ridiculous.

What bothers me about that whole lot [of people that have never existed ever] (referencing other people is forbidden), is that you never see "healthy" vegetarians. By "healthy," I mean my definition of "healthy." IE, muscles, built, powerful, etc...
  • gchutson
    Options
    I never understand the point of "debating" this.

Who cares? It's not like anything either side says will change anyone's mind or provide brand new information. For some people it's moral, for some it's digestive, for some it's taste, for some it's political, for some it's environmental.

This is not a thought about you but I used to get SO MANY people asking me why I was vegan when I was growing up and not matter what I said or how nice I was ("well, it's just right for me") or vague ("well, I have concerns about industrial farming, the environment"), people would always call my reasons 'pushy'. Excuse me? You asked!! Otherwise I never mention it. How is that pushy?

Again, I'm not judging. I'm just curious. I don't understand the mentality. If you ever want to explore the inner-workings of big, dumb, meathead hillbillies, I am an open book. ;)
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options

I think it's funny when people think being vegan or vegetarian will automatically help them lose weight. Guess what's also vegan? Potato chips. I gained tons of weight because I ate wayyy too many of those and not enough good foods.

Dietary restrictions /= automatic health or weight loss
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I eat a **** ton of veggies. And fruits. But I eat meat.
  • gchutson
    Options
    I know some people who don't like the taste or texture of meat.

So many smartass jokes came to mind, I literally got dizzy.
This discussion has been closed.