Vegetarianism. Seriously? (A Debate)

Options

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I'm against food elimination under most circumstances.

The two best reasons I can think of to support food elimination are moral issues and medical/intolerance related issues.

Vegetarianism for moral reasons, I say go for it if that's what you believe.

More meat for me anyways.
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    The only debate are ones that people create. My philosophy is to each their own and let's each live our lives the way we see fit. I ate enough meat in the first 35 years of my life to last a lifetime. I've been vegetarian for 13 years and when people ask me "why?", the answer is easy: "I feel better when I don't eat meat." As for no healthy vegetarians, I would debate that point vigorously; there are plenty of us out there. There are also plenty of unhealthy vegetarians who, like omnivores, don't eat healthy, and I've been one of those also.
    BTW - chips are generally fried in vegetable oil because its the cheapest.

9114468.png

Advice is worth exactly what you pay for it!
    <=>

Some people are very astute at creating debates. They commonly known as "master debators."

Read that sentence out loud. You'll laugh.
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Just in case you still think that vegans can't be powerful and healthy, you can out this site (and others).
    http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    You say you don't want to judge, but you're already clearly judging in your title. Thanks, but I'll pass on this episode of "Everybody Punch the Vegan."
  • gchutson
    Options
    You say you don't want to judge, but you're already clearly judging in your title. Thanks, but I'll pass on this episode of "Everybody Punch the Vegan."

I would never, ever, ever punch a vegan. They'd probably break. I joke, I joke.
  • gchutson
    Options
    Just in case you still think that vegans can't be powerful and healthy, you can out this site (and others).
    http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/

I don't know that a hyperlink actually constitutes an "argument," but it's interesting.

My first question is, how do those guys maintain the caloric requirements to build that type of muscle mass?

My second question is, how many of those pictured could pass a drug screen?
  • ImpishScoundrel
    Options
    My logic, and the fact that I watch way too many documentaries, states that homo sapiens were designed as omnivores for a reason. In order to maintain optimum body performance we need a certain amount of the iron, minerals, fats, and proteins found exclusively in meats. I sometimes have a hard time seeing how vegetarians get these essential nutrients without having to add manufactured supplements to their diet. Maybe I'm missing something?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • gchutson
    Options
    My logic, and the fact that I watch way too many documentaries, states that homo sapiens were designed as omnivores for a reason. In order to maintain optimum body performance we need a certain amount of the iron, minerals, fats, and proteins found exclusively in meats. I sometimes have a hard time seeing how vegetarians get these essential nutrients without having to add manufactured supplements to their diet. Maybe I'm missing something?

I completely, and wholeheartedly agree. What about Metro Sapiens?
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options

^^ that's what I meant....
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    What bothers me about that whole lot [of people that have never existed ever] (referencing other people is forbidden), is that you never see "healthy" vegetarians. By "healthy," I mean my definition of "healthy." IE, muscles, built, powerful, etc...
    Actually there are a fair amount of vegetarian bodybuilders in the IFBB, but I guess you could argue it doesn't matter that much what you're eating when the drugs in your veins mean you put on muscle lifting a fork to your face - which vegetarians have to do a whole lot more.

The sheer quantity of food I would have to consume to meet my protein and calorific needs in plant matter would be astronomical, let alone the expense of it all. I'll stick to my 3 chicken fillets or big fat steak.

I couldn't even imagine how someone could meet some of the calorie goals I've seen here without meat. I find that with my number (just over 1400 without exercise) it can be hard getting to it with just legumes and veggies. And I feel like I'm always eating!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I easily get over 130g of protein with no protein powder as long as I pay attention to what I am eating. It's really not that hard. It is my understanding that all micronutients needed by the body can be obtained from a vegetarian diet, but if worried all you need to do is take little itty bitty multi-vitamin.
  • ImpishScoundrel
    Options

I completely, and wholeheartedly agree. What about Metro Sapiens?

Scary genetic mutations. Best to avoid them whenever possible.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I love the taste of meat, but I like animals better when they are alive. I don't care what other people eat, though. It's just my preference to not eat animals.
  • tizzie_14
    tizzie_14 Posts: 72
    Options
    I like steak. And chicken. And fish. Period. As with meat-eaters, vegetarians can also have a poor diet. People are free to choose what they want to eat and why they want to eat it. I like shrimp cocktail as an app before a steak. But that's just me. But I wouldn't eat a cat. That's not for me.
  • gchutson
    Options
    I love the taste of meat, but I like animals better when they are alive. I don't care what other people eat, though. It's just my preference to not eat animals.

I too love animals. With gravy.
  • gchutson
    Options
    I like steak. And chicken. And fish. Period. As with meat-eaters, vegetarians can also have a poor diet. People are free to choose what they want to eat and why they want to eat it. I like shrimp cocktail as an app before a steak. But that's just me. But I wouldn't eat a cat. That's not for me.

Nothing wrong with eating cats. The fur balls are kind of a b!tch though.
  • tizzie_14
    tizzie_14 Posts: 72
    Options

Nothing wrong with eating cats. The fur balls are kind of a b!tch though.

I'm allergic. ;)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand the terms of the debate. You like the taste of meat, nd therefore vegetarianism is wrong? Is that your basic argument, OP? really really?
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand the terms of the debate. You like the taste of meat, nd therefore vegetarianism is wrong? Is that your basic argument, OP? really really?

I think he's just wondering why vegans chose to live the life they do. GH likes to joke, but only for fun's sake...he's not attacking anyone....
This discussion has been closed.