Does anyone else NOT want kids?

Options

Replies

• cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Now that I've gotten through the whole thread...there's NOTHING WRONG with NOT wanting kids. Nothing at all! Do people change their minds? Yes, sometimes, and that's part of where the pressure from family and friends comes from. They know of so-and-so who suddenly decided one day that they did want kids after all, or what's-her-face who never wanted kids, married, divorced, remarried and changed her mind with her second husband. (I know people in both situations right now, which is why I brought them up.) So that makes them think that everyone will change their mind someday. They don't consider the millions of people who went through life without ever having children, and never felt like they were missing anything! I have two kids and always knew I wanted to have children...but if I hadn't felt that way, then I'm sure I wouldn't know what I was missing had I not had any.

I do agree with the posters who said that this needs to be a conversation that your husband initiates with his mother. It should be his responsibility to tell her what the two of you have decided is best for you and your marriage. You don't want to be the shrew who kept her son from giving her grandchildren. (This could apply to a lot of issues that come up between his mom and the two of you, btw!)

This is sort of related to the topic at hand, sort of not. I always think it's kind of weird when people say they don't want kids and then make disparaging remarks about children (loud, snotty, bratty, etc.) to justify their feelings. You are a parent to an adult child for FAR longer than you're a parent to a developing child, provided that you're each fortunate enough to make it beyond the first 18-22 years or so. Why not just say that you don't want the responsibility of raising another person? (Btw, I have a friend who isn't really big on young kids, but adores adolescents and teenagers. Seriously a special type of patience! She fostered a 13 year old girl and is on the way to adopting her now. Couldn't be happier!)
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Me... I don't want 'em. I love love love kiddos, but I do not love love love them 24/7
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    So Much ignorance out there, it amazes me. if you look at the stastistics there is enough room in TEXAS for everyone on the planet to have one square foot. That is just texas! Come on people. I think there are way to many selfish people in this world, why do you think Germany is at negative population growth.If everyone thinks like this what do you think will happen in 50 years? Good thing your parents didn' t think like you or you would never have been given a chance to experience your wonderful life.

The difference is my parents wanted to have children, I do not. Why should I have a child to please someone else. I need more then one square foot.
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Children are wonderful, but they are a lifetime commitment. I commend people who know its not something they are willing to take on. It doesn't make you less of a person.
  • Jem_Girl
    Jem_Girl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You are a parent to an adult child for FAR longer than you're a parent to a developing child, provided that you're each fortunate enough to make it beyond the first 18-22 years or so. Why not just say that you don't want the responsibility of raising another person?

Definitely true and something to think about BEFORE getting pregnant. I see the stuff my parents have had to go through with one of my brothers who was living at home through his twenties, couldn't keep a job, didn't care about getting an education, and I know I do not have the mental energy for it.... or want to deal with the anguish I've seen them go through trying to figure out how to get him to care about his own life. (On a positive note, he just might be getting his act together now. :smile: )
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    When I was younger, I was in the same boat as many as you...not wanting children. Then I met the woman I would eventually marry and it was our desire to bring life into this world that was one of our own. Fortunately for us, we were gifted with 2 beautiful daughters. I fell in love the minute I saw them. Love like I'd never felt before...not even for my wife.

The first time they sprint into your arms screaming the word daddy...your heart melts and shines at the same time. It's a remarkable feeling, one that only parents can understand really. Yes, they will anger you. Yes, they will disappoint you and yes, they will drive you crazy...but even with all that...they will LOVE you if you show them the path in which to love.

Fast forward: We are now divorced and I love my daughters just the same as I did back then. Looking at them grow, I'm amazed and honored to be called their "daddy".

I'm one lucky dad.

As for the lady who talks about not having kids as being selfish: get a grip! Mother Theresa didn't have children and she was in NO way selfish. Priests and other clergy have chosen not to marry and they aren't selfish either. Sure, there are selfish people who don't want kids because all they want to do is buy things for themselves, party, etc...and that would be selfish. However, there are many that choose to give in so many ways without having children and that a noble choice.

BTW - what does the 1 square foot have to do with anything, anyway?
  • midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    No kids for me. Nope. Not gonna happen. Ever.
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I have two children from my previous marriage - We waited 10 years to have kids. You know, to make sure our marriage would last. Five years after our first daughter was born, he bailed because he was "unhappy." Suddenly, I was an unemployed (I was a stay at home mom - quit my job like we had agreed I would) single mother. And poor.

No one talks about that. I never even considered it. I wish I had.

I'm remarried now to a man who does not have children of his own. Just "our" two girls. His mother is always making comments about "when you two have a baby." I'm sorry. What? I've told her repeatedly that we are NOT having children. We discussed it. I told him it was a deal breaker. Period.

Unless someone can promise me I'll never end up a single mother again, forget it. Hardest. Job. Ever.

So I get the MIL thing. I just keep telling her, "We're not having kids." And leave it at that. She says things like, "That's not fair to him. He doesn't have children of his own." I just look pointedly at our children, raise an eyebrow, and stare at her.

Unless your MIL asks you outright, simply ignore her comments. If she does ask you, tell her that you and your husband have decided not to have children. If she gets upset, explain that it's YOUR choice, not hers. You have to raise, provide for, and care for these children.

Someone posted that not having children is selfish. That is stupid. It's not selfish to not bring UNWANTED children into this world. *shakes head*

Your life, your decision. And you were clear with your husband before you got married. Kids change you, your marriage, and your whole life. No one talks about that. Sure, they're great. But being a parent is hard, and scary, and expensive, and exhausting. Don't let anyone talk you into it if it's not what you really want.
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I just turned 36 and I have no desire and I NEVER had any desire to have kids. I prefer dogs, cats and horses.

Its OK to get turn into a pile of mush when you see a baby or announce to the world that you want kids. Media, society, our families, religion bang it into our heads to have children. HELL! Even has children we are given baby dolls to start the brainwashing when we are young.

Kids are not an 18 yr commitment, the commitment lasts as LONG AS YOU ARE LIVE that is a really long time, its super expensive and honestly the world is going to hell in a hand basket and I would not want to leave it to my children.
  • sculptandtone
    sculptandtone Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    So Much ignorance out there, it amazes me. if you look at the stastistics there is enough room in TEXAS for everyone on the planet to have one square foot. That is just texas! Come on people. I think there are way to many selfish people in this world, why do you think Germany is at negative population growth.If everyone thinks like this what do you think will happen in 50 years? Good thing your parents didn' t think like you or you would never have been given a chance to experience your wonderful life.
    :huh:

Yeah. You can raise all the unwanted children there in Texas. What's your address?

:flowerforyou: The winner of the BEST RESPONSE EVER.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i have 2 kids. i didn't want kids before i had them, and i really doubt i will have anymore!

some of us just aren't maternal. i don't think it's weird at all.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I had one child when I was 19 and she turned out to be such a handful that I didn't want any more. I got married when she was 7 and at first though I might want another with my husband but decided not to when my daughter's behavior got worse. Anyway, when I sent her to live with her dad, I was pretty content with the thought of never having another. Somehow though, despite birth control, I am now 8 weeks pregnant with my first child. I was pretty shocked about it but am happy to be bearing his first child. It will also be interesting to see which one of us this child looks like and acts like. I am looking forward to it. If this is a boy, I am having my tubes tied right afterward to make sure there are no more oopsies, but I'm happy about this oops :). Still, for all those who know they don't want any then that is their right. I would advise having a tubal ligation or having a vasectomy to be 100% sure that no oopsies happen :) though, and so you don't have to worry about the side effects associated with other forms of birth control.

Wow, you sound really loving. So that daughter you shipped off to live with her dad no longer counts as having been your first child? Sounds like she's better off with her dad.

Yeah really. Maybe you weren't ready in that stage of your life for a child, but the least you could do is pretend to care a little bit for your daughter. Sorry, just saying. Hopefully you're happier about this kid than the last, and treat him better than you have your daughter. There is nothing wrong with your daughter living with her dad, but the way you worded it in that you "sent her" to live with her dad makes it sound like you don't care for her. Kids are difficult. They're going to whine, cry, etc.
  • asgard825
    asgard825 Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Never wanted them but always prepared for the day my wife broke to me that it was time --then one day she said to me "yeah -- I don't want to do that" . Big smile -- since then we've downsized our home to a place for 2, been vacationing 4 times a year, are well planned for retirement -- all good for us. I do have great admiration for parents--the most selfless act is to have a child-- ur life is never ur own again
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    right now! I don't want mine...teenagers are making me crazy and broke!:heart:
  • healthymom76
    healthymom76 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    When I was younger, I was in the same boat as many as you...not wanting children. Then I met the woman I would eventually marry and it was our desire to bring life into this world that was one of our own. Fortunately for us, we were gifted with 2 beautiful daughters. I fell in love the minute I saw them. Love like I'd never felt before...not even for my wife.

The first time they sprint into your arms screaming the word daddy...your heart melts and shines at the same time. It's a remarkable feeling, one that only parents can understand really. Yes, they will anger you. Yes, they will disappoint you and yes, they will drive you crazy...but even with all that...they will LOVE you if you show them the path in which to love.

Fast forward: We are now divorced and I love my daughters just the same as I did back then. Looking at them grow, I'm amazed and honored to be called their "daddy".

I'm one lucky dad.

As for the lady who talks about not having kids as being selfish: get a grip! Mother Theresa didn't have children and she was in NO way selfish. Priests and other clergy have chosen not to marry and they aren't selfish either. Sure, there are selfish people who don't want kids because all they want to do is buy things for themselves, party, etc...and that would be selfish. However, there are many that choose to give in so many ways without having children and that a noble choice.

BTW - what does the 1 square foot have to do with anything, anyway?

Obviously I didn't make myself clear. What I was trying to say was that those who don't want kids because they want THINGS and such in [place of kids tend to be selfish. I really admire people who devote their whole lives to doing for others, like Mother Theresa and priests and clergy and lay people. The whole thing about a square foot was to show that God knows what He is doing and there is plenty of room on this planet for all the people He has created.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Meh, having kids can be just as selfish. I mean, if it were totally selfless, more people would adopt a child in need rather than having their own. But there's that selfish need to pass on the family genes, so we keep having them. And FTR, I count myself in that, since I had 2 out of my loins and haven't adopted any. There's no such thing as a truly selfless decision when it comes to procreation. You can give of yourself to have kids, it's true, but if there were no selfish benefit, nobody would do it.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I used to want kids because i thought that's what people did. I also used to eat meat for the same reasons. When I realized I didn't have to eat meat or have kids, things changed. I'm only 24 but I really only like kids in small doses, and only if they're quiet and well-behaved and clean. If something accidentally happened I suppose i would accept it but if given the choice I think I'd say no. All of our friends have kids and that's close enough for me.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I don't want any more kids. Love the 2 daughters I do have more than anything, though.

If you don't want them, don't have them. If you have them, love them unconditionally. Enjoy!

Exactly...I have 2 girls as well, I love them but I"m done with kids, even though I'm asked all the time when I"m going to have a little boy..really people mind your own buisness..My brother doesn't want kids, he loves my girls and is wonderful with them, but like he puts it he likes having a life and being able to have and do whatever he wants when he wants.
  • MouseFood
    MouseFood Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's not really anyone's business ... there's kind of a stigma that if you don't have kids their's something wrong, same as if you aren't married. But that's just not right.

When people make comments I usually say "that won't be for a long time," or I repeatedly use the phrase "if I ever decide I want kids" to make it clear that I'm unsure.
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Honey if you don't want kids, don't have them end of subject. When the subject is brought up, ignore it or change the subject. Eventually they will stop. Having Healthy kids is not a given, my oldest child has adhd, my youngest child was born with a congenital heart defect - in his lifetime he had 5 open heart surgies was in heart failure for 6 years and passed away when he was 20 years old. Women can have babies later and later in life if you ever change your mind. Reaching 30 years old is not the end of the world or the end of child bearing years. Also there is always adoption if you ever change your mind there are so many children out there looking for a good home.