Does anyone else NOT want kids?

Options

Replies

• Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and never had any children, but I have been both a step-mom and a foster mom. I wanted children in my life, I just didn't want them there forever!

THIS!!!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    So Much ignorance out there, it amazes me. if you look at the stastistics there is enough room in TEXAS for everyone on the planet to have one square foot. That is just texas! Come on people. I think there are way to many selfish people in this world, why do you think Germany is at negative population growth.If everyone thinks like this what do you think will happen in 50 years? Good thing your parents didn' t think like you or you would never have been given a chance to experience your wonderful life.

(1) How is not having children you don't want more selfish than having children you don't want? I never understand this. To me one of the worst things a person can do is have, and keep, a child they don't really want and aren't prepared to care for. I have studied child maltreatment, and it is a terrible thing. I have close friends who grew up knowing they were never wanted--I can't begin to imagine what that felt like. How can not having children be more selfish than that?
    (2) What in the world does the size of Texas have to do with the dangers of over-population? The absolute reality, not just according to people like me, but according groups like the World Health Organization, is that the world cannot be full of people who live (eat, consume, etc.) like Americans, it's just not environmentally sustainable.
    (3) If I hadn't been born, I wouldn't know the difference, now would I?
    (4) Everyone doesn't think like me, that is how the world works. Some people have kids, some don't, it's okay, really...Especially since the U.S. is still well over replacement levels of births.

Stop making so much sense...you will upset some people on this site!
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I think people that don't want kids are selfish.

LOL. Ducking.

Nah, j/k. But, I always wonder...who will take care of you when you can't take care of yourself. that's why you have kids. Isn't it? That's my reason.

Please tell me this is a joke. You were joking...right?? It is not my kid's job to take care of me. I would never put that on them.
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    As far as your MIL though, that discussion is your husband's responsibility, not yours. You can be there, but he needs to lead. It's his parents, not yours, and for you to bring it up opens up the door for her to think "Oh, my son wants kids but SHE doesn't." I don't know how your MIL is, but a lot of times that's how these things get construed. He needs to take the lead and tell her that you guys aren't planning to have children.

^^^ as for advice, this is perfect!

As for me, I'm 26...still young to be saying I don't want kids or never want kids, but I fully believe in my heart that kids aren't in my life story. I've always said it since I was 16, and I've heard the "oh things will change when you get older" but I get sick of that and really don't believe it. Especially more so now than ever because I'm currently in love with my boyfriend who already can't have kids (had previous marriage, and ended up with a little "snip snip" job) I know from him, that he didn't want kids, but now that he has his, he loves them. He's one of those people who keep saying, "one of these days..." or "what if you change your mind..." ...but I know I won't. I have the best of both worlds. I have an amazing boyfriend, who has amazing kids that I'm able to have conversations with and laugh with. :) and I didn't have to go through all of the pains of labor lol

I think women who are pregnant and mothers are amazing...you have gone through so much physically and emotionally that I could never comprehend.

Anywho, I never want to have kids, and it doesn't matter what others say because I know exactly what I want :)
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Crazy, I just wrote a blog post about this yesterday! http://community.feministing.com/2012/06/17/5-reasons-why-i-dont-want-children/
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I think people that don't want kids are selfish.

LOL. Ducking.

Nah, j/k. But, I always wonder...who will take care of you when you can't take care of yourself. that's why you have kids. Isn't it? That's my reason.

Lol. And so having them so they will take care of you... how is this not being selfish?

THIS!!!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    As far as your MIL though, that discussion is your husband's responsibility, not yours. You can be there, but he needs to lead. It's his parents, not yours, and for you to bring it up opens up the door for her to think "Oh, my son wants kids but SHE doesn't." I don't know how your MIL is, but a lot of times that's how these things get construed. He needs to take the lead and tell her that you guys aren't planning to have children.
    What she said. I'm not married anymore, but my ex-MIL used to think that about me. She was right, I didn't want kids, but I'd discussed that with my husband at length before we got married and he was totally comfortable with it... he just never filled in his parents prior to us getting married, so they always thought it was me.

I'm a medical provider and I've had lots of women tell me that they were unsure or apprehensive about having kids, or that they don't like "other people's kids" but that it's different with their own. It's something to consider, but it never made me change my mind.

You probably want to be a bit more delicate with your MIL, but I am not above being blunt with nosey people. I've told people that it's none of their business, and I asked one lady if she'd feel better if I told her I was barren. That shut her up. My mom knows how I feel and she chose to tell me one Christmas in front of my family and my ex's that it was time for me to have some "grand babies" for her. I told her that if she wants more (yes, more, she's already got 3 who LIVE with her). She wasn't too happy about that, but I wasn't too happy with being put on the spot when she knew already where I stood.

All of that aside, it's your decision. Your husband has said he would stand by you and that includes finding a way to communicate with his parents about this decision, to make them see that it is something he is committed to as well.

Good luck to you!
    Jen

But
  • Mommareed4
    Mommareed4 Posts: 144
    Options
    I love kids :) I have 4 myself (6,5,4,2) but I agree kids are not for everyone, and thats okay...Just ignore people who try to tell you other wise, they are not the ones who would have to raise them.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I will be 40 in a couple months. I wanted kids, but it was not in the cards for me. I look at it now like this: I am not in a relationship with anyone I would imagine having kids with,and I do not want to be in my 60's dealing with college, etc. When I am 60 I want to think about retiring and enjoying my life.

If having kids happened earlier I would have loved that. But because it didnt I am now taking steps to make sure it wont happen. My theory is if I decide I want kids later, I can adopt. Just because I have a uterus does not mean I need to use it.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I believe it to be my holy duty to help God populate the Earth. I am looking for a good Christian woman to join me in this journey to lose weight and have children.

First and foremost..rather than populating the earth..you need to take of the little ones that are already here...thats what we did..coudnt "populate" the earth..so we took in what was already here..and you cant tell my daughters werent here from the get-go..no one believes that they are adopted..cause they look so much like me..I only have one answer.."God is Great!"
    But then, they won't be my children.

I really, really, hope you're trolling.
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm 34, and I didn't want kids up til I was about 26. At 26, God changed my heart and I decided I do want children. Your heart and mind may change, but if you are absolutely sure you don't want kids, that is fine too. Some people get upset when you say you don't want kids, as if you have to have them, but it really is your choice at the end of the day. Nowadays you can get your tubes tied even w/ no children if you are absolutely sure...........
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    When I was younger I didn't want any.
    Now I'm on the fence.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I will honestly say I was nervous to have my own kids b/c taking care of my friend's kids was an eye opener. In all honestly it is different if they are your own.

I hope you were honest with your husband before you got married that you didn't want to have kids because that would be unfair to him especially if he wants a kid. It's really not the MIL's business but your husband YES. I don't think it's selfish to not want to have kids, but it is a decision that should be agreed upon before marriage by both you and your husband.
  • somatiff
    somatiff Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I hate kids. I think they are foul and disgusting. Parents these days don't teach their children manners and it seems to only be getting worse. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but still, no thanks.

I get so frustrated at people that say "Oh you'll change your mind. it's different when they are your own." that might be their mindset and how they felt, but I'm 30 and am more than certain that it will not happen EVER. :)
  • CrazyDaisyMom
    CrazyDaisyMom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just turned 30 and have no interest in having children, I've been with my boyfriend for 8 1/2 years and he feels the same way. I haven't had the problem with having to tell his parents we don't want kids because he tried getting a vasectomy when he was 18, but the doctors wouldn't do it because of his age and he didn't have any children. So, they already knew he didn't want kids. My parents kind of knew, I think, that I would never want kids. We occasionally get the "are you sure you don't want kids?" but as we get older, we get asked that less. We have our animals that are our fur kids and the grandparents get cards and gifts from them. Now, if we can just quit being asked when we are getting married things would be great......
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    >>>>I wish more people would decide not to. Some people should not spawn. Not saying you shouldn't, but I wish some people wouldn't have them just because they can. <<<<

Agreed. What you said brings to mind the quote from Forrest Gump: "Stupid is as stupid does."

Not meaning you, but the stupid folks who have stupid kids. :bigsmile:

ETA: to add quote that was not shown.
  • lzulk
    lzulk Posts: 9
    Options
    I knew at age 14 that I never wanted children. Had to wait 'til age 25 for the snip-snip and I still regard it as one of the best things I've ever done for myself. :)

Here's what I like to say to people who try to herd me towards breeding; "I'm too selfish to take care of a child for the rest of my life but not selfish enough to bring one into the world". I find it’s effective closure to the topic.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I hate kids. I think they are foul and disgusting. Parents these days don't teach their children manners and it seems to only be getting worse. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but still, no thanks.

I get so frustrated at people that say "Oh you'll change your mind. it's different when they are your own." that might be their mindset and how they felt, but I'm 30 and am more than certain that it will not happen EVER. :)

Please don't have any then.
  • Barbellsandthimbles
    Barbellsandthimbles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've always been very much open with my parents and MIL that we don't want kids. It's my choice and I've asked them to respect that. My mother was a little upset at first (thinking I'd change my mind) but as time has gone on and I've not changed my mind she's come to accept it. I'll be 37 this year and have been telling her since I was 20!

Regardless what people say, it is your choice. You're not being selfish. If you had a kid just to please the others you may be resentful toward it and where would that get you? I know I worry too much and just flat out don't have the patience to be a parent. There's nothing wrong with me. I'm not broken. I just happen to know what I can and can't handle. My family supports me in my/our decision and I'm thankful for that.
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I love (most) kids. I have one. We are done.

So I constantly get the "when are you having another?" "You can't just have one, that's not fair to him!"

How is it not fair? He has friends he's grown up with since birth, cousins that he loves, classmates at daycare.. a large church family with tons of kids to interact with.. but at the end of the day, I don't lose my mind running after 2 or more children!

We're young too. I'm 28, husband is 31. So people just assume we're going to continue to spit out kids.. nope, doesn't always work that way!

this could be me. I never wanted them, thought about it, changed my mind, i have one that is 4 and i am done. I have no urge whatsoever to have another. I am almost 30 and my husband is 34. my child is happy as an only and is not lacking in friends plus i know i can spoli her like crazy and she does not have to share me with anyone else.