Sayings That You Just Don't Get..

Options

Replies

• Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    "I could care less". Well yes, You could care less in fact. It should be "I couldn't care less."
    It burns my *kitten* to see it!

I love how Canadians say "*kitten*"
  • stepharega
    stepharega Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    "I could care less". Well yes, You could care less in fact. It should be "I couldn't care less."

THIS THIS ALWAYS THIS
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I hate when people say "funnier" that's not a word... it's "more fun"! :noway:

But, "funnier" is a word, i.e. "his joke was funnier than mine." Now, if you meant "funner," then, I agree because that's not a word.:flowerforyou:
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    "I could care less"

The actual saying IS 'I couldn't care less', people just screw it up.

The one I don't understand is "I have to get the monkey off my back" - meaning I have to find the motivation to start doing something (cleaning, writing a paper, whatever). Why is there a monkey on your back? And what does that have to do with getting up the motivation to get started?!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Most of you are missing the point of the post. What you are posting makes sense. In other words, the "sayings" make sense. The only ones that don't is when they are not correct, such as "I could care less" is a great example of idiocy.

Since we've gotten off track from the intent here, I think the only one that I really hate is "I know right?" If someone says that, I always want to punch them in the face. Especially, if they are over 40. A 20 year old, I can understand because 20-year-olds are idiots. But, for anyone over 40 to walk around saying, "I know right?", you should be killled immedaitely, or at least maimed badly.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    a BUTT-LOAD never made sense to me. I thought is was a funny expression of saying BOAT-load until i found out a "butt" is an old English unit of measurement.
  • Victoire2012
    Victoire2012 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It burns my *kitten* to see it!

You took the words right off of my keyboard....Urghhhh!
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    "SERIOUSLY?!"

No I'm just kidding! OF COURSE I'M SERIOUS!
    ...and stop calling me Shirley...
  • deejaycee114
    deejaycee114 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It irks me when people says, "Well, you know, muscle weighs more than fat..."

No, it doesn't! If you have a pound of muscle and a pound of fat, guess what? They both weigh exactly the same. We need to change the saying to something like, "Fat is greedy and takes up more room in your body" :laugh:

THANK YOU!!!! i thought i was the only one irked by this saying. lol. a pound is a pound is a pound is a pound!! a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of bricks!! :grumble:

and i like your "fat is greedy...." saying. :wink:
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    "Yada, yada, yada". If you've run out of words, just put a period at the end of your statement. You're wasting my time. Also, I have the attention span of a fruit fly. You just lost m

SQUIRREL!
  • rob1976
    Options
    "it's always the last place you look" hahaha, not sure why but i hate when people say this. DUH why would i keep looking for it after ive found it? lol
    or this one's cousin "where were you when you had it last?" If I knew that, it wouldn't be lost!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    a BUTT-LOAD never made sense to me. I thought is was a funny expression of saying BOAT-load until i found out a "butt" is an old English unit of measurement.

Neat! I just assumed it had something to do with being full of *kitten*.
  • jgunn81
    jgunn81 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I used to work with a girl who "took her baby a bath" and "took her dog a bath" Really? Where did you take them the bath? You must be really stong to be able to pick up an entire bath and take it to someone. You BATHE your baby and BATHE your dog!!! UGH!

THIS, i have clients that use this all the time, it annoys me to no end
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options

^ :laugh: :embarassed: wait. i am over forty years old and had no idea that 'butt' is an old English measurement! thanks for the lesson!

Buttload: “A ‘butt‘ is a traditional unit of volume used for wines and other alcoholic beverages. A butt is generally defined to be two hogsheads, but the size of hogsheads varies according to the contents. In the United States a hogshead is typically 63 gallons and a butt is 126 gallons.”

^ from
    http://blog.andrewallingham.info/2011/06/the-difference-between-a-buttload-boatload-and-****load/

I WILL TAKE TWO HOGSHEADS, NAY A BUTT LOAD, OF WHISKY!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    There was a client, I'll call her Mrs. Brown, when I worked for a vet who added, "right?" after every sentence. I'd answer the phone and she'd say, "This is Mrs. Brown, right?" It took a while to realize she wasn't asking if I was Mrs. Brown... at first, I'd say, "There's no one here by that name. This is Lori... how may I help you?"
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    "SERIOUSLY?!"

No I'm just kidding! OF COURSE I'M SERIOUS!

what if you are seriously kidding?
  • nwilson91
    nwilson91 Posts: 70
    Options
    my family version is "you can't have your cake and penny too". Which makes more sense than either of the others quoted here.

How does that make any sense? The two are completely unrelated - unless you bought the cake for a penny, which is a bit of a walk around the park - and who sells cake for a penny?!? I want to go to that bakery RIGHT NOW!
  • SamiSamiBoBlammy
    SamiSamiBoBlammy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • gr8dayao
    gr8dayao Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    1. like a cub bear playing with his pecker with boxing gloves on
    2. Alrighty then
    3. After a Fashion
  • rob1976
    Options
    I hate when people say "funnier" that's not a word... it's "more fun"! :noway:

But, "funnier" is a word, i.e. "his joke was funnier than mine." Now, if you meant "funner," then, I agree because that's not a word.:flowerforyou:
    but I think that's what makes "funner" funnier (lol) - the fact that it is intentionally bad grammar. If someone thinks it's actually a word, then they are dumber than a box of rocks.