Sayings That You Just Don't Get..

Options

Replies

• p_e_wright
    p_e_wright Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    A friend at work is constantly interjecting the words, "You know what I'm saying?" throughout every conversation we have. I have even tried saying back each time, "Yes. I know what you're saying." But she never blinks. Just keeps on talking and talking and saying that phrase! I start smiling as soon as she starts talking because everybody else in the office gets what I'm doing. :happy: :happy:

My daughter does this. Drives me NUTS! I've also tried saying, "Yes, I know what you're saying." Doesn't work! :(

And my son has started saying "Gotchya" to everything. UGH!
  • p_e_wright
    p_e_wright Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Basically is a word that should be removed from every sentence! it has no purpose!

I had a teacher who said this several times during every class. Very irritating.
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    My ex husbad always says "I get it" - It irritates the hell out of me. What do you get?? He says it in response to the kids wanting to do things, that I don't necessarily agree with "I get it" - well guess what??? I DON'T GET IT!!!

OMG, did I marry your EX? My hubby says this ALL the DAMN time - I hate it, because in his case, HE DOESN'T get.... if he got it and UNDERSTOOD IT, I wouldn't have had to say it a second (3, 4, ect) time.... argh

I'm with you both on this one.....regrettably, I've found myself saying the exact same thing! :laugh:

But....I do actually get it! :laugh:
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Most of you are missing the point of the post. What you are posting makes sense. In other words, the "sayings" make sense. The only ones that don't is when they are not correct, such as "I could care less" is a great example of idiocy.

Since we've gotten off track from the intent here, I think the only one that I really hate is "I know right?" If someone says that, I always want to punch them in the face. Especially, if they are over 40. A 20 year old, I can understand because 20-year-olds are idiots. But, for anyone over 40 to walk around saying, "I know right?", you should be killled immedaitely, or at least maimed badly.

A saying that goes with your thought on this subject: some people are alive simply because it is illegal to kill them.

haha! I've seen that quote somewhere...my friends fb wall. lol
  • shewolfh2
    shewolfh2 Posts: 11
    Options
    "Yada, yada, yada". If you've run out of words, just put a period at the end of your statement. You're wasting my time. Also, I have the attention span of a fruit fly. You just lost m

SQUIRREL!

*chokes on drink* good one! I do the SQUIRREL thing too...haha
  • shewolfh2
    shewolfh2 Posts: 11
    Options
    A friend at work is constantly interjecting the words, "You know what I'm saying?" throughout every conversation we have. I have even tried saying back each time, "Yes. I know what you're saying." But she never blinks. Just keeps on talking and talking and saying that phrase! I start smiling as soon as she starts talking because everybody else in the office gets what I'm doing. :happy: :happy:

My daughter does this. Drives me NUTS! I've also tried saying, "Yes, I know what you're saying." Doesn't work! :(

And my son has started saying "Gotchya" to everything. UGH!

I broke my kids of saying "like" , "um", and other annoying words by repeating them every time they said them. If they were saying a sentence and said any of those annoying repetitive words, I would interrupt them to say the word at them. The more they did it in a single conversation, the louder I would get. Worked wonders! Now, they try to think before they speak!
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    happier than a pig in ****. <==== NO because if I were a pig in **** I would NOT be happy !

OMG are you Effin kidding me...Like seriously I mean come one !~ <<======OK did this become a complete sentence?

and the drum roll please........ goes to this one.." HI I NEED A BALANCE IN MY CHECKINGS" <--see the s on the end......this drives me nutts !~~~~ I often say OH which one..they respond with ..HUH I ONLY HAVE ONE...My response " Oh Im sorry I thought I heard you say CheckingS !~
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    "I had to conversate with them for 20 minutes". I heard a clinician use this while talking to community reprsentative.

Conversate? really? How's that Master's degree working for you????
  • sundaywishes
    sundaywishes Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have a few :smile:

When someone says "I'm upset AT you," it should be "I'm upset WITH you." That drives me crazy! But not literally :wink:

"I'll let you get back to your rat killing." It means "I'll let you get back to whatever it is that you were doing," but when I first heard that, I said, "What the hell are you talking about??" I'm from NY and heard it when I moved to the mid-west/south...we definitely don't say that in NY haha!

"Reckon" and "fixin" (as in "I'm fixin' to walk the dog.") and "The other day ____." I don't mind this when the person actually means the other day (no more than 3-5 days ago...then we are getting into "last week" territory), but when they say that and they are referring to something that happened 6 months ago, it really annoys me........again, regional things.

The word is SUPPOSEDLY not SUPPOSABLY!!! <---- surprised no one’s mentioned this one yet.

Now for one that I say that probably annoys others. :happy: When someone is telling me something that I understand, yet don't agree with, I say, "Yeah, but ___," or even worse, "Yeah, but no."
    "Yeah" is acknowledging what they said and that I understand their idea and "but" or "but no" is (obviously) for me disagreeing with them. My dad always makes fun of me for saying that. :laugh:
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    "Just the tip" OH COME ON! I know you better than that!

:laugh:
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    happier than a pig in ****. <==== NO because if I were a pig in **** I would NOT be happy !
    ...but pigs are happy to be in *kitten*...
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    "I had to conversate with them for 20 minutes". I heard a clinician use this while talking to community reprsentative.

Conversate? really? How's that Master's degree working for you????
    You're allowed to conversate only if you perspirate while doing it...
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    The #1, most irritating saying is:

Where you at?

ARGHHHHHHHHH - do you know how stupid and hick you sound? It's "where are you?"

No "at"....EVER!!!!!!
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Sorry Minnesotians, but 'Ya, you betcha' gets me. If I bet everytime I heard that in Minnesota, I would be broke!

Also, 'Colder than a witch's tit'. How cold is a witch's tit? Anyone feel one lately?

Slightly warmer than a well digger's *kitten*
  • Dare2BThin
    Dare2BThin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    'You can't have your cake and eat it...'

WHY NOT?! If you are going to give me cake and tell me I can't eat it then why give it to me in the first place.

....I now REALLY want some cake!

This!!! Now you cant have your cake and it it too! I understand because it means you cant keep the cak physically and eat it too...one or the other
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    You can lead a gift horse to water, but you can't look him in the mouth...????:noway:
    I know you're joking, but many don't know the history of the "never look a gift horse in the mouth" saying.

One assesses a horse's value by determining age, sometimes by checking the length of their teeth. The saying implies that you shouldn't determine the value of a present given to, but just appreciate it for what it is.

I won't even touch the people that say "never LICK a gift horse in the mouth"....
    haha - that I would never do....:bigsmile:
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I hate when strangers walk past me and say "cheer up, it may never happen" .. what may never happen?!..
    You don't know my life so why even make any comment. I usually just respond with "it already has"

I have only ever heard this once. And it was an episode of Absolutely Fabulous where Eddie was ranting on in some PR dinner about people who use ethics to sell things. She said that you "weigh us down with this global guilt"....she ended her speech by saying:

"So cheer up world! it may never bloody happen!"

And i loved it!
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My hubby always says " I know" when I tell him something even if he has not got a clue about it he still knows apparently :wink: :laugh:
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    Irregardless, it is what it is, because you can have your cake and eat it to. Surely you can't be serious? I am serious but I could care less.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • leanby2013
    leanby2013 Posts: 137
    Options
    Give or take

You either give, or you take lol, which one?