Men Are Husbands, Not "Hubbys"

Options

Replies

• LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Ehn, I'm indifferent about the particular term, but I get where you're coming from. I don't like certain terms and phrases, just because I've heard them too much and they grate on me. A particular one of mine is when people, especially guys (because I've known a few who use it way too much, and I've associated it with a stock answer), is the response "fair enough", in conversation. Other, more widespread, cutesy terms that I despise (and I'm sure I am not the only one) are "preggo", "preggers", and "baby bump", in reference to pregnant women.

I'm not married, but if/when I am, I probably would use the proper word "husband", at least most of the time, and it would certainly be no skin off my back to completely avoid the short form, if said husband is bothered by it.
  • m6day
    m6day Posts: 3
    Options
    Oh pleeeease!! Im so sure you've been called worst things in life then 'hubby'....get a life.
  • Pacileo4Evers
    Pacileo4Evers Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I love my Hubby! :D
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    My Husband is whatever I want to call him. If I have to clean his underpants, cook his meals and suck his... then if I want to call him hubby I will.

I will also on occasion call him Lord Long Shlong de Ding Dong but only on Saturdays when he wears his special costume.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I use Hubby or DH or OH on the internet because we dont want to use our real names there. In real life I use his given name.
  • witchywillow
    witchywillow Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    i use the word hubby on the internet but dont call him hubby anywhere else although i have always been to him little wifey, i dont find it condescending at all and to be honest hes been called much worse in our 25 years together lol :)
  • witchywillow
    witchywillow Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My Husband is whatever I want to call him. If I have to clean his underpants, cook his meals and suck his... then if I want to call him hubby I will.

I will also on occasion call him Lord Long Shlong de Ding Dong but only on Saturdays when he wears his special costume.

omg that made me laugh so much ha ha ha ha ha ha :)
  • lumberjacks94
    lumberjacks94 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Nice! I started this post more than 6 months ago and it's back in full force. Interesting to see it's about 50-50 too!!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Nice! I started this post more than 6 months ago and it's back in full force. Interesting to see it's about 50-50 too!!

Good morning lumberjacks94....I will help continue this.

I HATE the term "Hubby". Always have. My sister would refer to my husband with that name. I feel that it is demeaning to men.
  • raindance_maggie
    Options
    my husband is daddy.....why the *kitten* do you care what i call him?
  • ahoag_83
    ahoag_83 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My husband said he likes when I refer to him as hubby, and I don't mind being called wifey. It's just a playful thing. Besides I've heard women refer to their husbands they don't like as @ssholes, not "hubby."
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Who freaking cares what someone else calls their spouse.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Now if you are older and NOT married then what do you call your significant other? Boyfriend sounds like we are both 12, partner sounds like we have a same sex union and anything else (lover, manfriend whatever) sounds sleazy. I get annoyed when my boyfriend calls me his wife, as I'm not. At least hubby is straightforward ;)

I'm with whoever posted on the babe thing ...
    Before I got engaged, I had a hard time knowing what to call him. I am 33 with two kids. I felt 12 saying "boyfreind".
  • melgillis
    melgillis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    On here, I've referred to my husband, John, as hubby a couple of times. I think simply because I see other ladies doing it. I think it's more of an endearment, at least for me.

It depends on the individual. Obviously, your spouse, your wife, wouldn't do that as she would know your preferences.

But I wouldn't want to be referred to as "the little woman", that would make me feel trivialized. Just call me by my name, please.

On MFP, I usually refer to my spouse as "my husband" because my friends on here are, by and large, folks that i've met only online, here. They don't know my family or our names. On facebook, where my friends know me and my husband, I refer to him by his christian name, John.

Have a great day. You are entitled to your opinion as an individual.
  • ladybug8814
    ladybug8814 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    First question is are you married? I think it is all in the intent. And if you love someone and they love you when they give you a pet name it is just another way to display that affection publicly. I can think of a few other names that should be way more offensive.

Because let's face it folks....I love you in the right tone of voice can be just the same as F*** you.
  • ladybug8814
    Options
    After 11 years of amazing marriage, I still introduce my wife as my bride. "This my bride, Karen". She respectfully refers to me as her "honey-bear".....lol. Let the flames......flame....away, whatever..........

Sweet.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I hate the term "hubby" it's just... Kind of gross sounding
  • ladybug8814
    Options

Amen....amen....amen....well said.
  • for2day
    for2day Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    HAHA!!! I only call my husband "hubby", when he calls me "woman"!!! With us, it's a playful thing and after 21 years of marriage, it's fun that we still like to play! ;)
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    seriously just can't believe that this topic is still active, more than 6 months later. who cares?