Replies

• saralynn594
    saralynn594 Posts: 321
    Options
    You know I just don't like you OP
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I've never seen a difference between the calories in whole wheat bread and white bread. A quick comparasion on here of the same brand shows no difference.

For me, a good mayo adds flavor. I love mayo. i would rather forego cheese over mayo. I guess it boils down to your taste.

I dont really do soda.

PS - not American.

There is a huge difference with white bread and whole wheat.. Yes, calorie wise and such, they are similar, but mfp will not tell you whats good for you and whats not. White bread is produced from refined white flour. It starts as the whole wheat grain, then goes through the refining process which removes traces of the husk, bran, everything. Then, it is BLEACHED with a chemical bleaching agent that contains chlorine . Once it is bleached, gluten, salt & sugar is added depending on the stage of it rising. There is no benefit from eating white bread. Some health issues: It contains carbs which causes rapid release of the bodys own sugar regulating hormone and insulin. This hormone is secreted in the pancreas and is responsible for regulating blood sugar levels. Insulin is what people suffering with type 1 diabetes have to inject to regulate their blood sugar levels because their body does not produce sufficient naturally. Type II diabetes is a rapidly spreading disease brought on by too frequent imbalances in blood sugar levels causing insulin production to become overworked, which eventually leads to the problem and all others the negative health aspects. Other things, it stores fat, bad for digestion (which can lead to crohns, IBS, cancer of the colon , the list goes on! I dont want to bore you any longer, but i strongly suggest you look up certain foods you eat.

EWWWWWWWWWW GROSS. If I thought I missed white bread before, my mind has definitely been changed. Thanks for that!

GROSS. Bleached? BLECGH.
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Mayo is disgusting.

Then again, I got up to 347 without any mayo at all.

So whilst mayo may be a solid contributor to American obesity, it's far from the only or the top contributor.

Most Americans get little or no exercise of any kind. That's your leading contributor right there.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_obe-health-obesity

The question it raises is: What is it about the American lifestyle and way of eating that make it No. 1 in obesity stats?

In 1984 the national percentage of overweight individuals was reported in a major assessment of the nation’s health. Men having a BMI of 28 or greater were considered overweight. This BMI number was chosen to define overweight because 85% of American men ages 20-29 fell below it. A different calculation, not BMI, was used for women in the report.

In 1985, the term overweight was redefined as a BMI equal to or greater than 27.8 for men and equal to or greater than 27.3 for women. No BMI was selected to define underweight individuals. This definition of overweight was used in reports on obesity until 1998.

In 1998, the United States National Institutes of Health revised its weight definitions to bring them in line with the definitions used by the World Health Organization. Overnight 30 million Americans went from being classified as normal weight to being classified as overweight. Overweight is now defined for both men and women as a BMI of 25 or less. At the same time, an underweight classification was added, as was the classification of obese for individuals with a BMI greater than or equal to 30.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    homemade mayo is a thing of beauty. Healthy fat & good protein (also it takes 5 mins to make, and you can make it flavorful by adding your favorite spices-- like chipotle mayo, mmmm). Personally I prefer to skip the bread altogether and just get it wrapped in lettuce like Jimmy John's unwich. Bread itself is empty cals.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    yup I blame George W. Bush for us being the fattest country in the world plus the Italians for creating pizza. DAM YOU MARIO & LUIGI!!!!!

PIZZA! PIZZA!

Hahaha! Why blame George W Bush? Oh...it's the "in" thing to do in the US right now while sliding thru the MccyD's drive thru! lol. I totally agree with this post on everything besides the mayo lol. I don't eat tons of it but if I'm having chicken breast (I prefer rotiserrie chicken for lunch than lunchmeat...not a big fan of lunchmeat) I will have a tbls of Hellman's Real Mayo on a whole wheat thin bread thingy. But it takes me like 6 months to go thru a standard size jar of mayo lol
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I refuse to give up mayo because I love it. I don't eat daily or even weekly but if I want a sandwich or a burger w/ mayo, then I will eat mayo. I think it makes no sense to pinpoint certain foods as targets for making people overweight. People are overweight because of bad HABITS. I didn't become obese because of MAYO and white bread. I became obese because I had lacked self-control and chose to make poor food choices.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    What if whole wheat bread was no better and possibly worse then white bread?
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Every country has SOME bad eating habits. Don't fool youself. Did you know that many Canadians' condiment of choice for french fries is GRAVY?! They serve that option in most restaurants there that offer french fries. I had never heard such a thing before we started vacationing there once a year (from childhood on.)

we have that here in NJ. Disco fries. yuck

Are you seriously saying Poutine is yuck? That makes me saddest of all.

Edit - disregard. I thought someone mentioned cheese curds. Fires and gravy - fine. Fries cheese and gravy = awesome.

I mentioned cheese curds! One of these days I'm going to do a 1500+ calorie work out and then actually eat a poutine again... it's going to be amazing!
  • Silverkittycat
    Options
    Why did we have to derail what is otherwise a harmless thread of a guy sharing an anecdotal story?

Ray, I agree with you. I think it's the title of the thread and that we all have our own opinions on "why americans are fat". and mayo. :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    yup I blame George W. Bush for us being the fattest country in the world plus the Italians for creating pizza. DAM YOU MARIO & LUIGI!!!!!

PIZZA! PIZZA!

Hahaha! Why blame George W Bush? Oh...it's the "in" thing to do in the US right now while sliding thru the MccyD's drive thru! lol. I totally agree with this post on everything besides the mayo lol. I don't eat tons of it but if I'm having chicken breast (I prefer rotiserrie chicken for lunch than lunchmeat...not a big fan of lunchmeat) I will have a tbls of Hellman's Real Mayo on a whole wheat thin bread thingy. But it takes me like 6 months to go thru a standard size jar of mayo lol
    Nah, blaming Bush was totally 5 years ago, it's all about blaming Obama now. Then in a few more years it'll be all about blaming the next President, then the next one.... and the next one.... and the next one... We Americans are nothing if not predictable.:laugh:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I love mayo and include it on everything.
    Fabulous condiment. :drinker:
    Lost 78 lbs and reached all my weight goals.

So, why are Americans fat?
    Not mayo
    You could be eating tofu wrapped in seaweed dipped in celery juice and still get fat.
    It's not so much WHAT we eat but how we eat.
    2 words: gluttony - laziness
    This is why people get fat.

AGREED!

Did you drink Cokes, fries, pies, and a bunch of other junk too? If so, hat's off--again, the mayo story is not about may in particular but about poor food choices in the USA + sedentary lifestyle. Here are the stats.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_obe-health-obesity

The question it raises is: What is it about the American lifestyle and way of eating that make it No. 1 in obesity stats?
    Clean eating is simple.
    Whole foods only - if man makes it, don't eat it.
    Simple.
    And the crap foods are just fun in moderation which gets back to GLUTTONY!
    And then we have people too lazy to exercise which leads to obesity.
    Simple deal brother!:bigsmile:
  • losinitagain1
    Options
    Why would all of you who are making a "life style change to be HEALTHY" even think about eating this? Where is the nutritional value??

Mayonnaise
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 tbsp
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories from Fat 44
    Calories 57
    % Daily Values*
    Total Fat 4.91g 8%
    Saturated Fat 0.72g 4%
    Polyunsaturated Fat 2.646g
    Monounsaturated Fat 1.323g
    Cholesterol 4mg 1%
    Sodium 105mg 4%
    Potassium 1mg
    Total Carbohydrate 3.51g 1%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Sugars 0.94g
    Protein 0.13g
    Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 0% Iron 0%
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
    Nutrition Values are based on USDA Nutrient Database SR18 3% of RDI*
    (57 calories)

Calorie Breakdown:
    Carbohydrate (23%)
    Fat (76%)
    Protein (1%)
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    If you were to hypothetically consume only mayonnaise and consumed over 6000 calories you wouldn't gain any fat at all. Mayo by itself doesnt make you fat carbohydrates do. Why? because of insulin. Mayo is pure fat and does not spike insulin at all. you are blaming something that does not make you fat carbs do. The problem with carbohydrates though is that they taste amazing.

Wow, and I thought I had a really good sense of humor! This is fracking hilarious!!!! Thanks for the belly laugh.
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Why would all of you who are making a "life style change to be HEALTHY" even think about eating this? Where is the nutritional value??
    Because if I would fail in about 11 seconds if I cut out everything I love.
  • Silverkittycat
    Options

Because it tastes good? My definition of healthy might differ from yours?
  • SerenaNatasha
    Options
    Obviously you have no idea how much fun mayo can be in the bedroom...

OMG gross! lol
  • Acg67
    Options
    If you were to hypothetically consume only mayonnaise and consumed over 6000 calories you wouldn't gain any fat at all. Mayo by itself doesnt make you fat carbohydrates do. Why? because of insulin. Mayo is pure fat and does not spike insulin at all. you are blaming something that does not make you fat carbs do. The problem with carbohydrates though is that they taste amazing.

I like how you make things up.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

life is to be lived and enjoyed. do you enjoy something? then don't give it up.
    moderation.
    it works.
  • Acg67
    Options
    I think there are two dieting myths out there:

(1) All calories are created equal, so it doesn't matter if it's white bread or wheat, or a piece of fish vs. a Big Mac, or a banana vs. a piece of chocolate cake, so long as you consume under your BMR...

(2) It's not the calories but the carbs that are evil

For (1), research has proven that low-glycemic calories--such as available in lean meats, fish, veggies, whole grains, certain fruits--are better for weight loss than getting high-glycemic calories, such as through sugars (fries, candies, sugars, certain breads, etc.). People who eat low-glycemic foods tend to lose more weight than high-gylcemic diets *even though the calorie count is the same*.

Here's a recent study: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/26/which-diet-works/

Obviously, as the study shows, while a no-carb diet like Atkins has the best metabolic benefit at the same level of calorie intake, it presents some health considerations long term, and the advice was for a low-GI diet.

Here's a handy chart for low GI foods:

http://www.drkessinger.com/images/glycemicindex.pdf

You will notice that the GI of whole grain bread and some kinds of pasta is below that of white bread/baguettes and even certain types of beans. So in addition to not all calories being equal, not all carbs are created equal.

Nothing is ever as black-and-white as the media makes it out to be, though in the end, the truth is quite simple: Eat healthy, don't eat too much, and exercise.

Lol GI. Do you eat all your foods in a fasted state and isocalorically?