"No Mayo?" Why Americans Are Fat

Options

Replies

• Doreen0211
    Doreen0211 Posts: 15
    Options
    <snip> Mayo by itself doesnt make you fat carbohydrates do. Why? because of insulin. Mayo is pure fat and does not spike insulin at all. you are blaming something that does not make you fat carbs do. <snip>

+1

Lollercoaster

I assume you aren't a Type 2 Diabetic like myself. :happy:

Whether or not you have Type 2 doesn't make the statement you quoted any less idiotic

Out of curiosity, why do you feel the quote is idiotic?

By the same logic protein makes you fat because of the evil insulin. Also there's a little something called ASP...

ASP (Aspartic acid) is an amino acid. What about it?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    <snip> Mayo by itself doesnt make you fat carbohydrates do. Why? because of insulin. Mayo is pure fat and does not spike insulin at all. you are blaming something that does not make you fat carbs do. <snip>

+1

Lollercoaster

I assume you aren't a Type 2 Diabetic like myself. :happy:

Whether or not you have Type 2 doesn't make the statement you quoted any less idiotic

Out of curiosity, why do you feel the quote is idiotic?

By the same logic protein makes you fat because of the evil insulin. Also there's a little something called ASP...

ASP (Aspartic acid) is an amino acid. What about it?

lol que? try again

Do you also avoid protein cause of evil insulin spikes?
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    mayonnaise is not even CLOSE to the reason(s) Americans are fat. It might even be the least of our concerns.
  • SlidingDown
    SlidingDown Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Gravy on chips is divine!!! Curses, now I want some. lol
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    ASP = Acylation Stimulating Protein. It is involved in lipogenesis/adipogenesis.
  • Doreen0211
    Doreen0211 Posts: 15
    Options

lol que? try again

*Sigh* No, I don't avoid protein. Protein is essential for nutrition and muscle.
  • chicago_dad
    chicago_dad Posts: 357
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJMXy6lp0JouREE-hzhXi_XcOgfd8-l5mvM1wItqlhClSyNjXRleA-VecrmQ
    What a scientific discovery! Have you published your casual observations in the Journal of Obvious Stuff I See All Around Me?
  • SingeSange
    SingeSange Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJMXy6lp0JouREE-hzhXi_XcOgfd8-l5mvM1wItqlhClSyNjXRleA-VecrmQ
    What a scientific discovery! Have you published your casual observations in the Journal of Obvious Stuff I See All Around Me?

LMAO!!
  • SlidingDown
    Options
    Seriously a few people seem to have misread the OP's point, perhaps taking the headline literally.

This :
    Add up all those mayo and white bread calories, not to mention high-fructose corn syrup in sodas, the propensity of Americans to eat fast food or packaged food products, and a generally sedentary lifestyle, there's little wonder why Americans are so chunky.

and this
    One can make allot of progress just by eating more fresh stuff and cutting the junk.

I believe the OP's point was not that mayo alone is the root of all obesity and/or that all Americans are fat etc. He was saying that it's become so ingrained in the culture that OF COURSE you will have mayo, bacon, cheese, corn syrup, and rich creamery butter on top of everything... it's taken for granted. That overloading of calories and fat, plus a sedentary lifestyle, are going to add up to weight gain for the vast majority of people. Sure not everyone lives that way, but clearly the fact that it is accepted as the norm tells the observer that the majority do.

For the record, I'm not American, and I'm not bashing anyone, just want to clear up what I saw as a misunderstanding.

And I still want chips and gravy. :(
  • Plentiful_Tentacles
    Options
    Actually, what causes weight gain is a surplus in caloric intake according to one's weight and physical activity.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

lol que? try again

*Sigh* No, I don't avoid protein. Protein is essential for nutrition and muscle.

But carbs are evil because they spike insulin?
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    In the Southern US (or at least around here), gravy is served with French fries, also. YUMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!! The best!!
  • Cristofori44
    Cristofori44 Posts: 201
    Options
    This thread is completely full of fail. From the opening post, blaming restaurants for offering customers choices for the world's obesity epidemic, to the conflicting opinions presented as scientific fact, to advice to eat under BMR, to the bashinig of mayo because it's mostly fat and fat is the enemy!!!, and then - the last straw - the bashing of gravy on fries. Nine pages of this ****. **** this, I'm done with these forums.

Well the idea of the thread as I envisioned it was to show that the U.S. diet is not a good one. Mayo is but one symbol of that, but the list goes on--potato chips served with sandwiches, fries with burgers, the calories in a typical meal at Boston Market., the crud put in processed food.

If you want to dispute that argument, to show that U.S. patterns of eating are in fact healthy, go ahead. Otherwise, don't just whine about the thread by using cliches such as "fail." Using a tired cliche to dismiss an argument without addressing it is lame. But if you prefer to write in today's favored cliches, you just committed an "epic fail."
  • NannersBalletLegs
    NannersBalletLegs Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    First of all, let me start off by saying that I am, in no way, trying to defend mayo. I think it is the most disgusting thing on the planet.

BUT...don't a lot of Europeans enjoy eating french fries with mayo rather than ketchup? Carby Italian pastas and fatty French cheeses aren't exactly the most "diet-friendly" food items either.

I think portion sizes and lifestyle make the real difference. ;)
  • Cristofori44
    Options
    Seriously a few people seem to have misread the OP's point, perhaps taking the headline literally.

This :
    Add up all those mayo and white bread calories, not to mention high-fructose corn syrup in sodas, the propensity of Americans to eat fast food or packaged food products, and a generally sedentary lifestyle, there's little wonder why Americans are so chunky.

and this
    One can make allot of progress just by eating more fresh stuff and cutting the junk.

I believe the OP's point was not that mayo alone is the root of all obesity and/or that all Americans are fat etc. He was saying that it's become so ingrained in the culture that OF COURSE you will have mayo, bacon, cheese, corn syrup, and rich creamery butter on top of everything... it's taken for granted. That overloading of calories and fat, plus a sedentary lifestyle, are going to add up to weight gain for the vast majority of people. Sure not everyone lives that way, but clearly the fact that it is accepted as the norm tells the observer that the majority do.

For the record, I'm not American, and I'm not bashing anyone, just want to clear up what I saw as a misunderstanding.

And I still want chips and gravy. :(

Exactly.

And in addition to the cultural presumption for junk calories, there's also a tendency not to read an entire post :)
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm french fries and mayo...
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i make my own mayo. it's delicious.
  • SingeSange
    SingeSange Posts: 98 Member
    Options

I think portion sizes and lifestyle make the real difference. ;)

I'm with you... In the last 5 weeks all I've done is change my portion sizes to fit within a certain amount of calories and I've lost 10 lbs.
  • SlidingDown
    Options
    Exactly.

And in addition to the cultural presumption for junk calories, there's also a tendency not to read an entire post :)

HAHAHA touche. Oh I so want to add something there, but I won't.
    I'd need a flame retardant suit to say it. LOL
  • Cristofori44
    Options

Yeah,. maybe if you made homemade mayo, or avoided a HFCS version, and yeah, a little high-fructose corn syrup is not going to kill you, but hey, I have this sandwich quite often, so I'd rather not have the mayo, and the larger point is this: Why is the American presumption that I want mayo, chips with my sandwich, and a Coke? Or that I want fries with a burger, that I want the sources of my beef to be fed with grain, or that I want HFCS added to a steak marinade?

The list just goes on.

thing is, I don't much care about HFCS. it is sugar. I think my body knows what to do with it.

Well HFCS is genetically modified. Are you sure your body knows what to do with it?

yup.

(ultimately, it comes from corn. same calories as table sugar -- made up of fructose and glucose -- in the same proportions. when it gets into your body, know what happens? same thing as with table sugar.)

I think the jury's still out on that one:

htttp://grist.org/article/researchers-yes-hfcs-is-much-worse-than-table-sugar/