women 40+ would like to share progress

Options

Replies

• snowflakes
    snowflakes Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Boy does it count alot less than the MFP estimates. My heart rate has stayed up and I feel like I am burning more calories since I exercised - do you think the MFP estimate takes this into account? I went snow shoeing for 45 min and burned 262 by the HRM and MFP showed 547... That's quite a difference. I guess its good that I was only eating 1/2 of my exercise calories :bigsmile:

I did a brisk 2 mile walk with Leslie Sansone and MFP only gave me 184 calories burned and I was sweating harder than when I ride the bike that tells me more calories burned in the same amount of time. This is interesting...
  • itsbella
    itsbella Posts: 1,101
    Options
    Ladies, there's gotta be something wrong with that hr monitor! I use a wrist watch with a caloric monitor and it usually estimates more than MFP. I check my hr on my own with my hand on my neck and the hr is always accurate. Check the instructions or call the company...something isn't right.
  • itsbella
    Options
    Snowflakes, you are funny! :laugh:
  • makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies...just a quick check in, sounds like everyone is doing well!

I have been thinking about that 5K all day, I do think I will try it. I'll have to get registered by this Friday. I thought if the cold got to me, I could always walk and enjoy the lights...I'll have to squeeze it in between Christmas parties...hey, maybe it will help with my calories:bigsmile:
    Bella, I'll have to find your group and look over some posts, I could use all the help I can get!

Snowflakes and Pinbotchick, I have noticed the same thing with the calorie burn, mine has been coming in at about a third less on average....I have been tweeking here and there with the settings and it doesn't seem to make a difference, I have been wearing it while on the elliptical and comparing the 2, with the different settings and like I said it is usually a third off. This morning I did an interval training dvd, Vol3, the firm and it said I only burnt a 168 calories for a 60 hour work out and I did lots of squats and a 14" fanny firming box step sequence...she worked me out good, so I know I burnt more....so if I times by 3, I can live with 504.:laugh: :laugh: The actual heart rate seems to work and is pretty accurate with what the elliptical says, I mainly wanted it to know when I was in the zone, I can't complain for $25 :bigsmile:
    I did pretty good today, I baked Christmas cookies all day and I was only tempted...a little, I did have 2 samples, but still came under in calories :ohwell: I also did an extra 2 miles on the elliptical, thanks to testing the HRM. I wanted to get out and run this week, but gosh, we had 50 mile per hour winds today, with a wind chill that made it feel like 0*, I might just have to run around the dinning room table for 30 minutes:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Need to check my sons homework, enjoy your evening!

Welcome Paulinelaw and goodluck with your goals!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • higgee
    higgee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 44 years old and a mother of 3 girls. The weigt was never an issue until the last child was born, now everything I eat seems to go to my butt, gut and thighs. It is a lot harder to get it off than to put it on! I'm hoping this site will help me with the amount of calories I take in. I never realized how fast those calories add up until I joined MFP.
  • booboogroom
    booboogroom Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies. Sorry for not being on for awhile. As most of you know I'm Bipolar:frown: :sick: :frown: and well my last week or so hasn't been so good. On top of that I've had a sinus infection:sick: with the flu. Anyway I feel alot better :smile: now and I think my sprits are on the rise now, but I hope I'm not headed towards the manic mode. I should have been on line talking to you guys, but I just wanted to be left alone. But the support I get from you guys is really a big help. I just want everybody to know that I really love:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :heart: the support that everyone gives.
    289052.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • booboogroom
    booboogroom Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    On the upside I would love to welcome everyone new to our topic. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    289052.png
  • makeitallsue
    Options
    Hey ladies. Sorry for not being on for awhile. As most of you know I'm Bipolar:frown: :sick: :frown: and well my last week or so hasn't been so good. On top of that I've had a sinus infection:sick: with the flu. Anyway I feel alot better :smile: now and I think my sprits are on the rise now, but I hope I'm not headed towards the manic mode. I should have been on line talking to you guys, but I just wanted to be left alone. But the support I get from you guys is really a big help. I just want everybody to know that I really love:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :heart: the support that everyone gives.
    289052.png
    Booboogroom, my goodness so much you've had to deal with:frown: I'm glad you are feeling better:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: , if there is ever a way I can help,please let me know!:happy:
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    booboogroom - sorry to hear you've not been feeling your best. I have been missing and wondering where you were. I hope you cont to feel better and have a great holiday season :flowerforyou:

Today is my official check-in day and I am down another pound. YEAH. TWIRLS. *virtual high fives* :bigsmile: I am just so happy that this is working.

Welcome higgee - I like your picture. I too have been shocked at how quickly the calories add up and how you can still be full and eat lower calorie foods. Good luck on your quest and we look forward to getting to know you.
  • makeitallsue
    Options
    I am 44 years old and a mother of 3 girls. The weigt was never an issue until the last child was born, now everything I eat seems to go to my butt, gut and thighs. It is a lot harder to get it off than to put it on! I'm hoping this site will help me with the amount of calories I take in. I never realized how fast those calories add up until I joined MFP.

Welcome Higgee, I have the same...straight to the butt,gut,thigh problem...:laugh: and boy isn't that the truth, alot easier to put on...Welcome and good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • makeitallsue
    Options

Today is my official check-in day and I am down another pound. YEAH. TWIRLS. *virtual high fives* :bigsmile: I am just so happy that this is working.
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: GO PINBOTCHICK!!! Great news on your pound loss! I've decided to go back to weekly weigh-ins, tomorrow is my day...so I guess that makes today my last chance workout!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: , I better get busy!
    Have a great day!
  • makeitallsue
    Options
    ItsBella, would you mind sharing the name of your mfp runners group, I'm having trouble finding it....Thanks:wink:
  • makeitallsue
    Options
    ItsBella...I found it...never mind :laugh:
  • snowflakes
    snowflakes Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Higgee: Welcome! This is a great groupof ladies. This last week we shared about our user names. It would be fun to know about yours.

booboogroom: If I knew you were bipolar I have forgotten. I have a niece and she has a son and they are both bipolar. They both do great with the meds they have to help. Her son is now doing good work in school. It is wonderful the medical research that is now available to help, they know so much now days I hope you have great medial help.:heart:

pinbotchick: Throwing a high five back your way. Good job on another pound down.:flowerforyou:

makeitallsue: Hoping tomorrow the scales reward us for continued hard work!

I am making a day of it in town today, be checking in later.
  • itsbella
    Options
    Well, this journey I want it to be about the process. Although, I want to get faster and better at running, and get healthier, loose some weight and all that jazz....I don't want to make it about the numbers. I want to remember the mile stones along the way and celebrate them! Here's to me Therefore, I want to share with you that today I ran for 2 miles without stopping! Something I had not done before! I'm an asthmatic and even though running helps me with improving my breathing capacity, it's always a challenge.

Thanks! :smile:
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    Nice job Bella - I can't wait to get there. I just finished week 3 of C25K training and was happy to walk/jog two 14.5 min miles. I can't imagine going 2 miles without walking - but, I will get there. Keep up the great work.

makeitallsue - good luck with your weigh-in tomorrow.
  • itsbella
    Options
    pinbotchick, you will! It's mind over body! How's your caloric monitor doing?
  • mm01
    mm01 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm 45, will be 46 in 2 months. I'd like to lose 10 pounds by then. I lost 6 pounds, then gained 3 back. I'm hoping by using MFP, I'll see what I need to correct. Of course, it's the holidays and parties and dinners are more than usual and exercise schedules are hard to keep. Any help on how to change habits and reframe thinking to achieve goals is welcome!
  • makeitallsue
    Options
    Hello Ladies...:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    Welcome mm01 :flowerforyou: , good luck with all your goals.MFP will help you, log, log, log, it really helps to see your calories in vs out and it may surprise you....you may not be eating enough!:wink: , I know I was at a standstill and then when I started eating more, the weight started coming off again! The only advise I could share is, just do it for you...you are so important and so worth every minute that you put into yourself!!!!!:bigsmile: You will feel all the benefits, you'll have tons more energy and will be so much happier. YOU ARE WORTH IT !!!

ItsBella, you inspired me to get out and run this morning...I checked in early to put in my food calories and I seen your post ...you have a great attitude and doing your training while dealing with asthma....You Go Girl!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Pinbotchick :flowerforyou: Great job on finishing week 3!! You'll be there in no time.......

Ladies I have news to share, I'm proud of myself...I got out in the 15* weather this morning and ran 3.1 miles, I did it right around 30 minutes (I'm not for sure exact time....I hit the wrong button on my watch:sad: :sad: , but I did notice when I left and when I got home and it was right around 30 minutes...and in the freezing cold...I thought I did pretty well:bigsmile: :bigsmile: , I do believe I will go into town today and sign up for that 5k. 13.1 miles on the new shoes:bigsmile:

My second news...woo-hoo-woo-hoo, happy happy dance another 1.6 pounds gone, gone, gone. I also measured myself and in the last 12 weeks I have lost a total of 15 inches!! 10 pounds 14 ounces loss in that time frame too....I know a few weeks back I was getting so frustrated...thanks to all that encouraged me to keep going...DD, Snowflakes..Pinbotchick big ole hugs to ya.... for convincing me to eat more...so scary, but it seems to be working!:happy: :happy:
    I hope you are all having a great day, busy weekend for us, basketball tourney...but I will try to check in.
    Have a great weekend!
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    pinbotchick, you will! It's mind over body! How's your caloric monitor doing?

I am doing very well with eating Sun to Thurs. I tend to go over on Friday and Saturday but I am aware of it doesn't stress me out. We go out to eat often on the weekends. Normally I do extra exercise to make up for it but just felt blah last weekend. Most days I take in 1400 to 1800 depending on how much exercise I have done.

makeitallsue - YEAH. I'm glad you're out of your slump and the scale has started to move again. 15 inches is amazing. You're braver than me to run in 15 degree weather - it was 11 here this morning and I would chose the treadmill over that any day. I hope it warms up before you Christmas Eve run.

mm01 - Welcome :flowerforyou: We are a great bunch of gals that can give you some good support. Log, Log, Log... It really opens your eyes to what you've been eating. Good luck on your journey.